(Topic ID: 88855)

good enough multimeter?

By bigd1979

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140426_021952.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Just went and bought this meter but was getting ready to place a order with pbl and saw their 20.00 one mine was 40.00 so sshould I take mine back or keep ? Or get a better one all together? Thax in advance20140426_021952.jpg20140426_021952.jpg

#2 10 years ago

For any pin work should be fine. You may find this video helpful.

#3 10 years ago

Two best features have on the hobby end are auto ranging, and audible beep continuity. I believe that multimeter has both? In that case I'd say it's fine.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

For any pin work should be fine. You may find this video helpful.
    » YouTube video

This guy love it lol

#5 10 years ago

Yes it does I was just wondering about the pbl one? I could take mine back and save 20 ?

#6 10 years ago

Yes he has some great aussie slang, like half a bee's d!<k and bob's your uncle. One video he blows up several meters and takes Fluke through a canyon and throws off a dam. Lot of interesting and surprising vids.

The main points I wanted you to see were you want a fast continuity test, a large voltage for the diode test >2V, a good backlight and auto power off with good battery life. Safety he stresses which of course is something to consider and well your get what you pay for.

I know you can even pick up used Flukes on ebay cheap. Like Fluke 8060A back in 1990 was like 430.00 some i have seen for like 20. No autorange but great continuity test. Well you get the idea.

And remember whatever you get to "Take it apart".

#7 10 years ago

I have that exact one. I love it.... But

I use the cheap free one from harbor freight when I am doing voltage cause I keep popping the fuse on the Radio Shack.

#8 10 years ago

http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-MS8268-Digital-Manual-Multimeter/dp/B0050LVFS0/ref=sr_1_1

I have been using that one above^^^ lately. Overall it is very, very good for the price.

#9 10 years ago

Ok cool ill just keep it them its good enough for what I need it for

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

when I am doing voltage cause I keep popping the fuse on the Radio Shack.

Sounds like you have meter lead in wrong jack when you are trying to read voltage.

Common Jack black lead never moves and for Voltage and ohm/diode Red Lead is where you want the Red probe most of the time. And you always read voltage across two points but the meter has huge impedance so it does not effect the circuit.

If you have the Red Lead in the current jack (there maybe 2 low2A and high10A) very low impedance and fused. You need to put inline with a single wire. If you put across two points like measuring voltage you just made a dead short to ground and the fuse will blow every time. Current measurement not as easy to due quickly so not as often used. But say you want to see how much current is going through a coil when fired you could unsolder the ground wire of coil attach red to coil and black to the end you just unsoldered. It has to be in series. Always.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

I have that exact one. I love it.... But
    I use the cheap free one from harbor freight when I am doing voltage cause I keep popping the fuse on the Radio Shack.

Your plugs aren't set up correctly. In voltage mode the meter ends up with very high impedence and is placed in parallel with the circuit. You shouldn't be able to pop the fuse if the plugs are installed correctly. The fuse is for current measurement and is in series with the circuit in that case.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Sounds like you have meter lead in wrong jack when you are trying to read voltage.
    Common Jack black lead never moves and for Voltage and ohm/diode Red Lead is where you want the Red probe most of the time. And you always read voltage across two points but the meter has huge impedance so it does not effect the circuit.
    If you have the Red Lead in the current jack (there maybe 2 low2A and high10A) very low impedance and fused. You need to put inline with a single wire. If you put across two points like measuring voltage you just made a dead short to ground and the fuse will blow every time. Current measurement not as easy to due quickly so not as often used. But say you want to see how much current is going through a coil when fired you could unsolder the ground wire of coil attach red to coil and black to the end you just unsoldered. It has to be in series. Always.

This ^^

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-enough-multimeter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.