(Topic ID: 9007)

Good deal???

By DarthPinhead

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BK_017.jpg
    BK_016.jpg
    BK_015.jpg
    BK_014.jpg
    BK_013.jpg
    BK_012.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

As some of you know I picked up a pretty rough BK yesterday. I found a guy on RGP sellin a used playfield that looks to be in pretty decent shape. He wants $125 for it shipped. Ive never bought a playfield before so I was wonderin if this was a good deal? Thanks guys

Heres a few pics of it:

BK_012.jpgBK_012.jpg BK_013.jpgBK_013.jpg BK_014.jpgBK_014.jpg BK_015.jpgBK_015.jpg BK_016.jpgBK_016.jpg BK_017.jpgBK_017.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Thats a fair price. Looks like it will clean up nicely from the pics. Minor touchups here and there are going to be expected. Good luck.

#3 12 years ago

More than fair, I would jump on it...Just make sure he packs it well....

#4 12 years ago

Yeah, if $125 includes shipping, get it. You can decal the magnasave wear or touch it up. The wear spot near the sling an easy touchup. Mylar protected the pop so good there. Grab it.

#5 12 years ago

Agreed, for the $ vs condition, looks like a good deal. Hard to tell what condition the inserts are in (i.e. dropped or not), but for $125 shipped I'd do it.

#6 12 years ago

While it is definitely better than yours from the pics, you gotta ask yourself if it is "better enough" to make it worth the money and especially your time doing a full playfield swap. Have you ever done a full swap? I'd hate to see you spend the money and then go through all that work and end up with a machine that's just a little better and you are still not completely happy with. You might be better off snagging a repro playfield and going all the way with it. Or buy this one and send it off to someone who specializes in touch-ups and clearcoating (unless you can do that...sorry I'm not aware of your ability level or interest in doing such things, so I don't mean to imply you can't do it yourself).

#7 12 years ago

Jediturtle has a good point. Although, a CPR playfield is going to set you back $700-800 I think. Looked into this game a couple months ago, and that's about what I could find out there. Sending it out to be touched up and cleared, figure $500-$600, or more if you send out the playfield you currently have. It all depends on how good you want to make this. This one looks way better than the playfield you have, but that's going only off of photos.

P.S. I can give you a hand swapping the playfield if need be. Free of charge.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

While it is definitely better than yours from the pics, you gotta ask yourself if it is "better enough" to make it worth the money and especially your time doing a full playfield swap. Have you ever done a full swap? I'd hate to see you spend the money and then go through all that work and end up with a machine that's just a little better and you are still not completely happy with. You might be better off snagging a repro playfield and going all the way with it. Or buy this one and send it off to someone who specializes in touch-ups and clearcoating (unless you can do that...sorry I'm not aware of your ability level or interest in doing such things, so I don't mean to imply you can't do it yourself).

Never done one but I do want to! The time aspect of it doesnt bother me at all. The repros are just to expensive, I cant justify spending $700-$800 on a playfield then the machine is only worth $1000-$1200 when Im done with it. Im very interested to learn how to do playfield repair so I figured I would have $425 invested and if I mess up something chalk it up to a learning experience lol. I want to learn how to do everything in this great hobby. Ive had alot of hobbies over the years but never one I was this passionate about!

Im gonna go thru that entire Hulk thread to try and figure out what kind of paint and that to use.
    The only thing Im afraid of is the cabinet repair! I found a stencil kit at Marco but one mistake and its ruined! Also never really done any kind of wood repair. How do I repair damage to the cabinet? Wood filler?

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Good point Jedi. I agree, but it is up to you to decide if you enjoy doing that sort of work. If you feel up to the challenge, you will learn a lot from doing a swap and know if it is within your capabilites and tolerance. Next time you are mulling over a 6 or 700 dollar investment on a new PF, you will know what is involved.

For 125, it looks like it will clean up nice, you get a better game and some experience under your belt. I say go for it.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from DarthPinhead:

...Im very interested to learn how to do playfield repair so I figured I would have $425 invested and if I mess up something chalk it up to a learning experience lol. I want to learn how to do everything in this great hobby. Ive had alot of hobbies over the years but never one I was this passionate about!

Dude, never even thought of your doubtless artistic talent given what you do for a living. I know exactly where you're coming from on "chalking it up to a learning experience". That's exactly what I did on my Mata Hari. Go for it. In that case, it's a great deal.

#11 12 years ago

Wood bondo is your friend for cabinet repair. There are lots of pin cab restoration videos on youtube. Basically sand it down to bare wood, fill in all the voids, sand again until perfectly smooth. You want a near perfect substrate before you apply paint or decals as any imperfections in the surface will translate into the paint/decal.

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

P.S. I can give you a hand swapping the playfield if need be. Free of charge.

Haha I was just tellin the wife I wish I had a pin buddy like in the "Life after death" dvds. Once I get started Goonie Ill let ya know and your more than welcome to come help out! I really appreciate it. Your actually one of the reasons I picked up this BK I saw what you were doin with your Star Trek and was like " Man I want to do that" lol the whole ride home from your house I was drivin the wife nuts about it! "I can do that!" "What am I so afraid of?"

Ive done complete playfield teardown to clean a pin before but have never messed with the wiring harness and removing all the under playfield parts. Im sure theres gonna be alot of trial and error but gotta learn somehow right??? Thanks for the advice guys!And goonie thanks for the offer and Ill let ya know when I get started!

#13 12 years ago

Sounds good. As far as the cabinet goes, I can't promise anything, but if you want that done for you let me know and I will see if my friend will take it on.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from DarthPinhead:

Jediturtle said:

Never done one but I do want to! The time aspect of it doesnt bother me at all. The repros are just to expensive, I cant justify spending $700-$800 on a playfield then the machine is only worth $1000-$1200 when Im done with it. Im very interested to learn how to do playfield repair so I figured I would have $425 invested and if I mess up something chalk it up to a learning experience lol. I want to learn how to do everything in this great hobby. Ive had alot of hobbies over the years but never one I was this passionate about!
    Im gonna go thru that entire Hulk thread to try and figure out what kind of paint and that to use.
    The only thing Im afraid of is the cabinet repair! I found a stencil kit at Marco but one mistake and its ruined! Also never really done any kind of wood repair. How do I repair damage to the cabinet? Wood filler?

Well hell yea then go for it! My one suggestion would be practise your touch-ups and stuff on the original playfield so you can tackle the "new" one with more confidence. Best of luck!

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

Dude, never even thought of your doubtless artistic talent given what you do for a living

Yea Im not to worried about the painting as Ive messed around with watercolor and oil painting before. I also used to do alot of models and that when I was a teenager so I should be able to handle that aspect of it.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

Sounds good. As far as the cabinet goes, I can't promise anything, but if you want that done for you let me know and I will see if my friend will take it on.

If I nail the cabinet like Im hoping to I want to clearcoat it like your MH. That cabinet was beautiful!

Quoted from Jediturtle:

My one suggestion would be practise your touch-ups and stuff on the original playfield so you can tackle the "new" one with more confidence.

Great idea! For sure gonna do that. Thanks Jedi! And "May the Force be with you" lol

#17 12 years ago

Take LOTS of photos!!

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Take LOTS of photos!!

I plan on it! Gonna do a step by step thread similar to the Hulk thread. It will have all my mistakes and triumphs lol. Im hoping to help people like myself who were afraid to do something like this.

#19 12 years ago

BTW just sent him payment via paypal! Should be here in about a week! Merry Christmas to me!!!

#20 12 years ago

Wait a minute...this is the second Christmas Gift you have bought yourself. I like your style man!

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

Wait a minute...this is the second Christmas Gift you have bought yourself. I like your style man!

Well my budget was 1K for a pin for myself so I made out pretty good at $375

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-deal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.