7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PinMonk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I recently purchased my first pin (TZ). I'd say it's an above average player's condition machine and I absolutely love it. I've done the basics...cleaning, waxing, coil sleeve replacement, flipper rebuild, general maintenance, etc. I've caught the bug and I'm ready for the next challenge.

Before I get to my question, a bit about me. I have above average mechanical skills, average electronics skills will access to a Metcal soldering/desoldering station (dangerous combination...I know ), above average carpentry skills, average artistic ability, and pretty good patience.

I've read pretty much all of Vid's guides and I want to try my hand at a restoration.

I realize there are many many factors to take into account when deciding to do a restoration, not the least of which is condition of the machine.

All that aside and strictly taking into account the title, which pins lend themselves well to a first time restorer? Factors to consider might be ease of graphics restoration (detail), low cost of game, availability of parts, etc.

I have some ideas, but I'm curious to hear what the pros think.

#2 7 years ago

Sounds like you have the right mindset, any pin you can get replacement parts for is a good candidate (decals/stencils, plastics, and playfield). Your TZ would be a solid choice, but it will be out of commission for awhile. You didn't mention money and time invested, which is good...because those rarely pay off.

#3 7 years ago

Early solid state games are fairly easy to work on, and they are reasonably plentiful. I have a hard time finding DMD projects out in the wild, but there are plenty of early solid state games around.

TZ is one of the more complicated games to work on since the playfield is so jam-packed full of stuff.

Restoring games can be fun and satisfying, but it doesn't pay well. By my calculations, I work for about 3 cents an hour. That doesn't stop me from enjoying bringing dead and neglected games back to life.

#4 7 years ago

Haha, you have one of the most complicated ones. I would NOT recommend Twilight Zone, Addams Family, or Star Trek The Next Generation for a first time restoration.

Pick something relatively simple.

Jackbot is a great game when you're done, and very simple mechanically. The Shadow wouldn't be a bad choice, but you might want to wait until they run the new playfields so you can do a playfield swap. Theatre of Magic isn't that complicated mechanically and will look amazing when you're done. Fish Tales is also pretty simple and straightforward, if you can deal with the music.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-candidates-for-first-time-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.