(Topic ID: 169854)

Good batteries are bad?

By Shenanigander

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF4743 (resized).JPG
    DSCF4741 (resized).JPG
    DSCF4742 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

Just pulled these Duracell ultra advanced batteries out of a wii fit board. Good till March 2017. Glad I didn't use these in any pinball machines.

What batteries do you recommend?

DSCF4742 (resized).JPGDSCF4742 (resized).JPG

DSCF4741 (resized).JPGDSCF4741 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Remote battery holders and batteries that are fresh from the store in an 8-pack or less (usually have a date about 5 years in the future on them). I have also found that bulk batteries such as what Costco sells can be less reliable than the smaller packs.

#3 7 years ago

Here is the kicker. The 2 no-name older batteries were fine. The 2 Duracell ones were corroded.

DSCF4743 (resized).JPGDSCF4743 (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago

If you had four batteries in your game that were different, this is likely why they leaked. Never mix and match batteries and always try to use batteries of the same vintage.

#5 7 years ago

Use Lithium batteries instead. All the alkaline batteries being so cheap are made in China.

#6 7 years ago

NVRAM. Just get batteries out of the equation all together. There is no need to have the risk of leaks in a pinball machine. There is an appropriate NVRAM solution for every generation game that uses batteries. It is always worth it.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shenanigander:

batteries out of a wii fit board

Quoted from Shenanigander:

Glad I didn't use these in any pinball machines.

#8 7 years ago

Replace any alkaline batteries out of any type of product and install Lithium batteries.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

NVRAM. Just get batteries out of the equation all together. There is no need to have the risk of leaks in a pinball machine. There is an appropriate NVRAM solution for every generation game that uses batteries. It is always worth it.

This^^^^^

#10 7 years ago

Those look the same as the energizer press to test type. The energizers i had did the same thing which I feel is a bad design. I had all three same brand with date no where near the expiration date. One leaked violent just like your picture.

NV ram or lithium are the ticket now.

#11 7 years ago

Don't use alkaline batteries *at all*. There is no need to today, and they are ticking timebombs anyway.

Lithium if you have to (but they are not leak-proof), and NVRAM is best (nothing will leak).

#12 7 years ago

Industrial heavy duty chemical dry batteries if you must use them.
    You cannot but them at Walmart, and they cost 2.5× more.

#13 7 years ago

NVRAM or Lithium if I must! Got it TY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-batteries-are-bad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.