(Topic ID: 331953)

Good alternatives to powered stair climbers?

By spclwhenlit

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I’ve read all the posts I could find related to moving pinball machines, including comments about Escalera and other stair climbing type hand trucks.

I need to be able to move machines out of my walk out basement and up a gravel path with a “pretty good” incline. We have brick steps leading up to our driveway but I’m not crazy about using a stair climber.

I’ve even considered buying an old riding mower just to be able to tug my hand truck (that has inflatable wheels), but don’t have any extra covered storage to protect a riding mower.

Is anybody aware of or had experience with a good alternative to powered stair climbers? Thanks!

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from spclwhenlit:

I’ve read all the posts I could find related to moving pinball machines, including comments about Escalera and other stair climbing type hand trucks.
    I need to be able to move machines out of my walk out basement and up a gravel path with a “pretty good” incline. We have brick steps leading up to our driveway but I’m not crazy about using a stair climber.
    I’ve even considered buying an old riding mower just to be able to tug my hand truck (that has inflatable wheels), but don’t have any extra covered storage to protect a riding mower.
    Is anybody aware of or had experience with a good alternative to powered stair climbers? Thanks!

I’ve always just muscled them up and down from where I need them. Or had someone help me.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from spclwhenlit:

Is anybody aware of or had experience with a good alternative to powered stair climbers?

Two or three big hairy strong friends. Afterwards a bucket of KFC and a case of beer.

LTG : )

#4 1 year ago

If you have a good dolly/hand truck with inflatable tires, protection on the machine(blanket, cardboard, ect), strap it to the dolly and go. Even up your brick stairs, shouldn’t be too difficult.

If you make the load solid and secure, it won’t shift on you while moving, makes moving it very easy.

#5 1 year ago

Tents if you really want the mower:

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=car%20tent

They aren't that expensive. I know someone who keeps a small tractor in one.

#6 1 year ago

my next house is going to have an elevator

#7 1 year ago

I have 5 steps out of my basement and built two 2 x 10" x 8' ramps with aluminum ends on to take the machines out of the basement on a flatbed wagon(Harbor Freight), use a Harbor Freight lift to lift the machine from the side, remove legs and fold head, put two cardboard pieces on the wagon and position wagon next to the lift and at the same height, I can slide the machine onto the wagon myself, use two ratchet straps and strap to wagon, a friend goes up ramps first and merely guides the wagon and I push the machine up the ramps, do everything in reverse if you want to load into a truck/suv, all can be done essentially with one person, even a kid could guide wagon up the ramps. Since you have no steps the wagon and Harbor Freight lift cart is all you need.

#8 1 year ago

Thanks for the feedback guys. With 11 brick steps up to our driveway, I just don't want to mess with climbing them with a hand truck, even a powered one like Escalera. I found a couple of powered hand trucks - not stair climbers - that would be great, but apparently they cost $2,500 and up. For that kind of money I could go ahead and buy a new riding mower, and probably just tow machines strapped to my hand truck.

#9 1 year ago

Please explain how strapping a hand truck to a riding mower and attempting to tow it up a steep flight of stairs by yourself is going to work without ending in complete disaster.

Cause I’m not seeing it.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

my next house is going to have an elevator

That's what I did! I built a home last year and had a cargo lift put in. Bonus points: grandma was able to use it to come downstairs to play pinball for the first time ever. All in all, it cost about what an LE pinball machine does these days, but I use it at least twice a month and I don't have to worry about injuring myself or someone else.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from daveyvandy:

That's what I did! I built a home last year and had a cargo lift put in. Bonus points: grandma was able to use it to come downstairs to play pinball for the first time ever. All in all, it cost about what an LE pinball machine does these days, but I use it at least twice a month and I don't have to worry about injuring myself or someone else.

Nice! I was half joking, but if I build a house where pins are going into a basement I might do this.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from daveyvandy:

damn, that is awesome dude.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Please explain how strapping a hand truck to a riding mower and attempting to tow it up a steep flight of stairs by yourself is going to work without ending in complete disaster.
    Cause I’m not seeing it.

I’d love to see it.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

I’d love to see it.

You live in OH. I’ve seen people pulling the weirdest shit behind a lawn mower in the upper Midwest.

#15 1 year ago

LOL Levi... no, I don't plan to drive a riding mower up (or down) the brick steps, although it would make for a GREAT video.

My goal is to avoid using the steps completely, and "towing" a hand truck or cart up either side of the house, both of which have gravel paths. I can't totally rule out the possibility of a entertaining redneck style video, however.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-alternatives-to-powered-stair-climbers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.