(Topic ID: 183866)

Good Advice for Gottlieb System 1 to add extra fuses for solenoids?

By german-pinball

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Gottlieb SYS1 extra fuses (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Is it a good advice for Gottlieb System 1 -machines to add extra fuses for the non controlled solenoids, especially pop-bumper-coils?

I have read it somewhere, but cannot find the source any more.

Gottlieb SYS1 extra fuses (resized).JPGGottlieb SYS1 extra fuses (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

I doubt 2 Amps will be enough..... Make sure it is slow-blown.....otherwise you will be buying a lot of these.

Yves

#3 7 years ago

Attach a multimeter to the coil, set it for Amps, and play a game. That should give you an idea of the current the coil normally pulls.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks guys, the value 2A I have estimated roughly, should measure the way ForcelFlow described.

But the main question still is, does it make sense, to upgrade all of my system 1 machines with these fuses for saftey reasons? Problem is, that these coils are not CPU-controlled and if the contacts are pitted and this causes the contacts to "weld" together for a long enough time, the coil will blow and burn.

So what do you think, does that make sense, at least for the pop-bumpers?

#5 7 years ago

For the pop bumper, it would make sense since those could have the potential to get locked on if the switch got stuck or the ball got jammed on the skirt. In system 80 games, fuses were added.

I don't think fuses were added for the slingshots--at least, I don't ever remember needing to troubleshoot slingshots where the coils locked on.

[edit]: I just checked one of the later system 80 games. Fuses on the coils, no fuse for the slingshots.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#6 7 years ago

That is a very good idea. I will modify my Buck Rogers and introduce two fuses to protect the Pop-Bumpers.
The playfield is out and it will be very easy to modify.

Thanks
Yves

#7 7 years ago

Didn't Gottlieb send out a service bulletin at one point during the early System 80 era to add fuses to select uncontrolled solenoids? Not sure if I'm remembering that correctly.

Alternatively, I've seen people go so far as to add in a pop bumper driver board to System 1 slings and pops. That would add another layer of protection (and give more responsive gameplay). Still, it'd be wise to add a fuse along those as well.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

... I will modify my Buck Rogers and introduce two fuses to protect the Pop-Bumpers. ...

I will also do this now on all my system 1 machines and try with a 2 Ampere SB fuse.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-advice-for-gottlieb-system-1-to-add-extra-fuses-for-solenoids and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.