IMG_4182 (resized).JPG
IMG_4181 (resized).JPG
IMG_4179 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
bitmoji-20170718025611 (resized).png
spiderman-web-installed-small (resized).jpg
rps20170427_215314 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider labnip.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Similar story. I was working for a software company, sitting in a sales presentation, listening to the sales team articulate all the amazing things the product did. Unfortunately for me, I managed the professional services/implementation side, which included software customization, so afterwards, I go up to VP of sales and say 'you realize, the software can't do X and Y. And I'm not even sure it is technically feasible to do X and Y" He puts his arm around me and says "Never confuse selling with implementation"
While it pissed me off at the time, I've come to appreciate those words...they have served me well on more than one occasion.

i think we worked for the same guy

2 months later
#899 7 years ago

Hand delivered

IMG_7840 (resized).JPGIMG_7840 (resized).JPG

IMG_7845 (resized).JPGIMG_7845 (resized).JPG

#904 7 years ago

The crowd at TPF loves the new code

2 weeks later
#962 7 years ago

bug-splat.pngbug-splat.png

#979 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don't, I'm just thinking positive thoughts! Easter bunny gift.

Lots of little code drops on the floor ?

1 week later
#1046 7 years ago

code-1 (resized).jpgcode-1 (resized).jpg

#1090 7 years ago

have to say... i'm really not a fan of the 2 latches to remove my lock-down bar.
the 1 handle design is so much nicer.

#1105 7 years ago

friends with aerosmith pin keep calling me and telling me about how great the code is....
arrrrrggggggg.......

#1142 6 years ago

code

#1148 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

say code one more time

cod ?

cod-1 (resized).jpgcod-1 (resized).jpg

#1223 6 years ago

just a thought... don't know if there's any validity to it but...

when i was at the Stern office last year and was talking to engineers and managers, they had mentioned they were migrating to an "agile" process. Now, that can "often" mean the software team is moving to "2 week" sprints. And the theory goes, that at the end of each sprint, you should be able to release (but that's not really reality at most places).

So, here's my theory on what "may" have lead to George's comment about the "release code every 2 weeks."

I think George sat in a meeting about Stern's migration to Agile and heard someone (& with a nodding team) say they were moving to 2 week sprints and plan to be able to release at the end of each sprint. But, not every sprint-end is something you want to release. Sometimes they have significant defects to work out, or too many dependencies on tasks that were not in the sprint & still need to be done.

Now, as most of my clients are executives at tech-related companies or companies with IT departments, VERY OFTEN... the execs will hear their tech team say the above, and the execs will hear in their heads & remember,
"we have 2 weeks sprints & will be releasing every 2 weeks." (that makes them happy, sleep well at night, and will often repeat those words.) I can not emphasize how incredibly common this had happened within client companies before I get there and then will provide engineering, process & tools consulting to help set the business up for success.

Many times I've had to coach execs about the realities of an academic theory such as "agile" and how a customized version needs to be tailored to their own team(s), software & hardware complexities, their sprint planning & tracking tools, and reset their expectations on it.

This is a total guess, but if I were to connect the dots between conversations from last year with the Stern engineering team & what George said... well.... this would be my guess. So, I wouldn't really give George any grief over this. But that's just me.

...for what it's worth

#1225 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This is not George's first rodeo. He's been involved in many sides of the pin process over the years. He knows how things work, and what's realistic and what isn't. Still, he made the Gomez Drop promise to sell games. He knew what he was doing, because he's STILL doing it. 4 weeks in a row of an "unexpected bug" delaying that week's drop is not reality, but that was his line repeatedly during the last 5 week wait for the next Gomez drop.

Yeah, i'm not making excuses for him, and... it's very difficult for most humans to admit a mistake (especially publicly) but...
George's past rodeo's were using a different software engineering methodology, as they were just in the process of migrating to agile last year.
So, now George, who is not in the software engineering team, hears them (i'm guessing) saying they are moving to 2 week agile sprints & will be able to release at the end of each sprint (which nearly every agile team boasts proudly because they read it on the internet (sad but so true)). Many-many times the engineering team has to make the case (explaining the benefits) for them to switch to an agile process to the exec team. This involves often slowing down current projects, subscribing to software tools, paying for training, and struggling through it for a while. And the engineering team will often tell execs, the benefits of slowing down & spending this extra money can include these "2 week sprints" that let you have "releasable code at the end of every 2 weeks". So, the rodeo has changed from underneath George, and he may have really thought these agile sprints would be releasable every 2 weeks. But, that's just not the case... so he's now learning about the realities of "agile" in a pinball company within their current team, culture & tools.

Again, i'm trying to connect some dots that I don't know actually happened, but I "think" they might have.
George has more to lose than gain by lying to customers, and I think he spoke what he thought was true (if all this played out as I'm speculating). Because honestly... can anyone explain why else "the real #1 guy" at Stern would say this? Tactical financial gain at the peril of long-term financial loss when an acquisition or bankruptcy is not looming, just does not make logical since.

#1227 6 years ago

...and by the way... I have a batman 66 and am basically not playing much so I can get a really good version of code to install and start playing & enjoying. So, I really-really want this code to be done, defect free, deep with lots of music, voice-overs, sfx, video clips, modes, etc... so I can start enjoying it.

#1234 6 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

What's the last code you've played?

Last version.
Still need to install latest.

3 weeks later
#1379 6 years ago

sweet..... code update

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 34.99
$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider labnip.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gomez-promised-bm66-code-where-is-it?tu=labnip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.