IMG_4182 (resized).JPG
IMG_4181 (resized).JPG
IMG_4179 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
bitmoji-20170718025611 (resized).png
spiderman-web-installed-small (resized).jpg
rps20170427_215314 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

I really don't understand why it takes them so long to ship code. Either the developers aren't very productive, or the frameworks and tooling are nonexistent or limited. After so many years and platforms, would be sad if that's the case. While they might get whisked off to other projects too soon, presumably the same thing happened on the previously title. Yes, Stern is cranking out more games than anyone else, but we're still only talking a couple games per year.

Creating fun games is an ART. It's not a matter of punching the keys fast enough until it's completed.

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Why is coding a pinball so difficult? Really with all the video game consoles coming out with title after title year after year complete, why is pinball so different. .

Video games have huge teams who work for 2+ years working on games. By the time a pinball programmer gets the finished design to code, they might only have 4-6 months before release. On top of that - they're creating a non-linear game with multiple possibilities and events happening simultaneously...video games are relatively linear.

#142 7 years ago

So if your number the mechs, they only thing that changes in the code is mech#

No. Every game has completely different rules and logic. Have you played a pinball machine!??! It's more than just "switch mech switch light mech switch coil". It's like creating a massively complex mechanical board game or chess every single time.

#149 7 years ago

Wrong...just different paths in the code. All of the paths in a good game have an ending.

Wow...your ignorance of the process and disrespect toward the experts who do this for a living is baffling.

Please show them how it's done, genius. Program a fully functional, deep and fun pinball machine in 6 months. Grab a P-ROC. Go.

#153 7 years ago

Sorry but this in not planning a mission to mars.

Looking forward to your first game. I'm sure it will be flawless, brilliant, fun, and 100% complete on schedule. Go.

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

All I hear about is Lyman. He is coding KISS and BM66 and finishing AC/DC and works 26 hours a day and finishes games at home under candle-light...and....and..... Does anyone really know what is going on with the code department at Stern? This is all starting to sound like the scouts meeting from the movie Moneyball. Blah....blah....blah...

It's very simple. Their schedule is too short. They don't have time. Once the schedule for one project is finished, they move onto the next. If there are loose ends...oh well. Lyman does a lot of work in his spare time. As owners and players, we owe him a great debt of thanks for that. To be fair - I don't think we should personally crap on the other guys for not doing this. Yes, as a customer of Stern, it sucks...but these are people just doing their jobs the best they can in the time they're given. As someone who works under tight schedules, I understand. I certainly won't work for free during my own time. Just think about what you do for a living...if you're working your ass off during normal business hours & your boss asked you to work for free to make up for shortcomings in the schedule that they created...would you? Well, my answer is "NO"...they should adjust the schedule accordingly to achieve the results desired.

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Well, I am certainly not crapping on Lyman....

No, but a lot of people crap on Lonnie. When people get personal toward guys who are just trying to make a living, I don't think it's right. Lonnie's one of the nicest guys around, and I'm not going to deny him time with his family because the schedules at Stern don't allow him enough time to get the games where they need to be. Sure - I bitch about code...but perhaps I should be clear about who the target is of that bitching. Not the programmers.

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I get what you are saying but at one point Stern has to stop shooting itself in the foot.

What's their motivation? This has been their M.O. for 5 or 6 years at least, and people are throwing MORE money at them for each game released. Until people speak with their wallets, it's going to be THE SAME THING...and at this point, anyone who's been a part of the pinball community for a while knows what they're getting...and if you complain about it like you're surprised, you've chosen to ignore the facts.

#247 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Totally agree with what you said and the writing has been on the wall for quite a while. Just look back to LOTR, he was the lead designer and coincident or not ultimately Sterns first venture into LE territory and its a masterpiece without doubt thanks to Keith and his code.

LOTR LE was NOT their first LE. That was released in 2009...and aside from added shaker support and removal of action figures, it was the same exact game which had been finished YEARS before. LE's before LOTR: Elvis Gold, Dale Jr., Blacksuit Spider-Man...you could even say Harley 3rd Edition was an LE.

The first LE that actually had different mechanical features and not just bling was Avatar LE, which added a powerball & sensor, extra switches, extra coils for the AMP suit's feet, and a motor to open/close the Link Pod.

#252 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Damn I always forget about Elvis
Dale Jr, was a limited run but was it a limited edition released with a none limited version at the same time? it was a retheme of Nascar, I was referring to LE releases as part of multi edition releases so games with a pro & le or pro prem le upon release, like Spiderman and Spiderman Black which I stand corrected on. Wasn't Harley similar to Dale Jr? released some time after the original release? Either way imo George has certainly been at the centre of all Sterns corporate moves and non customer focused moves.

Dale Jr was the LE of Nascar, but released later. Spidey Black was not announced/released at the same time as the original...it came later in the year, and many people who bought the regular version were pissed that the LE was released so soon after, as they would have preferred it. Pretty sure Elvis Gold came later. Even Avatar LE came later - just like Spidey. The first Multi-Tier simultaneous release game was Rolling Stones. Pro and LE were announced simultaneously. Then came Transformers with more variations. Pro with stripped features, then the "Combo" LE of 500, Decepticon and Autobot "Designer Editions" of 125 each.

#256 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

if I'm correct it's only his games that have seen 4 simultaneous versions - TF, Avengers)

AC/DC Pro, Premium, Let There Be Rock LE, Back in Black LE ...sorry to keep correcting lol

Quoted from J85M:

and is it coincidence he not only releases games with more tiers than anyone else, with poor initial code and poor post release code (I remember you being far from a fan of TF code) but now the most expensive relesse again with missed code support that he himself promised and set himself up to fail while simultaneously the introduction of a new level entry game to make us think we are getting a good deal at current cornerstone (pro) prices?

I think it is a coincidence....there's nothing "George specific" when there are code issues on games. To be fair, my complaints about TF were mostly subjective...I didn't like the fake Optimus voice, the Optimus Multiball "roadblock", and the overall "chopping wood" nature of the rules...but if that's the game they set out to make - I really can't say the code wasn't complete....and Lonnie DID release an update with the option to turn the "Roadblock" on or off.

#260 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

It's not whining when a company promises something and doesn't follow through and you're not happy about it. You don't have to be quiet and take it. You're allowed to have an opinion.

At the end of the day, it's simple....people just wanna buy a game, open a game, and play a game. When you buy a game, you expect it to be a completed product. This stuff just gets exhausting after a while.

#269 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Rare..... you forgot LUCI.

Oh yeah...and Pro LED version if you wanna count that!

#281 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Stupid question........... But can anyone think of any other consumer products that a manufacturer can make major feature changes on, ship with known cosmetic and performance issues, and send out with beta software and wait years to update to a final product.

Nintendo released a complete & fun iPhone game, Super Mario Run...and people complained because it was $10 lol ....can you imagine the average game buyer, used to 99 cent apps, learning about what WE are paying for games, and the development stage they're in when we get them!? Their heads would explode.

#368 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Hopefully they give Lyman the ample time needed to finish the code especially since this game was at a premium price unlike the cornerstone games

Every game is expensive and every game should be complete.

Quoted from musketd:

because if they don't make it special then no one will want to buy the next one they do

Collectors are nuts and will buy anything Stern makes if it has a badge on it that says "1 of 80" or "1 of 240". You all know of the code and QC issues and bought this game anyway. If Batman 66 still isn't finished when $25k Star Wars "George Lucas Will Come Over And Lick Your Balls Edition" is announced, they will all sell.

1 week later
#421 7 years ago
Quoted from LeonSpinkx:

I'm about a month into Pinside and have been following these Stern threads closely. Can I get a Pinball Code For Dummies? Like, what can't be done with bad code, or missing code, that kinda things.

Anything can be done. Just depends if the programmer has the vision, talent and time to accomplish it.

#429 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

"pop numbers are lite"
And
"shoot spinning targets "
You don't have these call outs in your game? I do

The Pro is missing some callouts that the LE has.

#433 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Great. First 2-week release 2 days late. Second one is 7 days late. Don't like where this is going.

It's better than the usual 6-8 month-to-never wait for most games, eh?

You all bought the game knowing Stern's M.O. You spoke with your wallet. Your money said "I don't care about finished code or QC issues".

#439 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The difference is this is LITERALLY the most incomplete, non-functional day-one code I've seen in years, maybe ever. It's barely even a beta.

Why did you expect anything different? They made you beg to buy one. They wouldn't let anyone play it at expo. There were no gameplay videos before release. Anyone who bought this for collector OCD or speculation is happy. Anyone who bought it to play - you knew what you were getting.

#447 7 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Second of all, anyone that's ever worked in software knows that shit happens, even with more predictable content than something interactive like a pinball machine.

This isn't a 99 cent app or a $60 console game. This is a $10,000-$15,000 machine. The manufacturer made a massive mistake in planning this project, and has now placed a burden on the customer that shouldn't be there.

Quoted from zucot:

The potential for code to grow into a kick-ass, unique experience outweighs having it "done" when I unbox my game.

The "true believers" like you are few, and dwindling. Most want the kick-ass unique experience when we open the box for this amount of money. I never want to go thru the X-Men/ST experience again. I refuse to pay that much to be a beta tester. Release a COMPLETE product!!!!

1 month later
#607 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

If memory serves me (where the hell is rarehero when I need him to confirm/correct me) Lyman did alot of the later updates for BDK and he definitely did the final update which was a huge completion/polish update, BDK code is actually pretty damn good it's simple the physical game that is the problem!

Lyman did all of BDK, 100%. I bought the game after the 2.94 update...it's still not one he'll be remembered for, but it's pretty solid. I still wish he had time to make the 4 modes (from the BATMAN targets) different. I think I remember someone finding a skill shot exploit that gives you a bazillion points, and they were hoping for a tweak to that.

1 week later
#694 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Don't think that's an issue for Stern, but the issue I don't think they are considering or maybe just ignoring is simple, if they drop the ball on this release (their first SLE tier release) how many of their SLE & LE customers this time round are going to support the next one? I brought a BM66 after Stern dropping the ball with it I will avoid future SLE releases like the damn plague.

Ghostbusters was a massive disappointment in terms of the game itself & the QC....and then the arrogance of B'66 ($15k for an unfinished, untested prototype) destroyed any chance I'd ever buy NIB from Stern again. Stern's 2016 pushed me away from being a regular customer completely.

#696 7 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Other than the playfield issues what other problems did GB have?

Just being a horrible unfun bastard of a garbage dumpster in general.

#703 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Lol. Tell us what you really think.

It's so bad it made me question whether I even like pinball anymore at all...but then I played some other games and realized it's just GB.

#706 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Today's exactly a month since the last update to Batman '66 while Aerosmith has received two updates in the last WEEK. That seems to say that boutique pins from Kapow are second-tier at Stern and does not bode well for Kapow's future offerings.

No, it just means Lyman needs time. He's an artist, and good artists need time to create.... and like many artists he might be halfway into a painting, decide he doesn't like it, and start over. They should not have released the game last year...but it is what it is now.

#710 7 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

I wonder if it is a struggle for him having to re-visit a game that he has already coded ?

Oh come on...for all intents and purposes, it's a new game. There's a whole new center mech. All the inserts are different. The context of all the shots and what they do are different. The ramps are different. If he "re-used" anything, it's crane code movement...but that doesn't really mean anything because how the crane factors into gameplay is entirely different than BDK.

#722 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think of GB.
Curious, you seem to be the resident expert on pinball, what are you top games?

Everything except GB lol...seriously though, I enjoy more games than I don't. The only ones I'm fine never touching again are GB, 24, X-Men, IJ4, WWE, Freddy and CTFBL. I'll play anything else...actually, I'd even play most of those except GB and WWE lol.

Look at my ratings if you're curious.

#770 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Sterns code testing (as per one of their factory tour videos) consists of their employees playing the row of games in the factory over from the production lines.

Not true. Stern gives test code to trusted friends/players/collectors to get feedback & bug reports.

3 weeks later
#994 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

I paid 16,000 for bm sle and I have to beg for code. could you imagine this?

Yes. It's Stern. This isn't a shock. Everyone knew what was coming when people weren't allowed to play it at Expo in October ...and you STILL gave them that much money. You knew what you were buying and you got what you paid for.

1 week later
#1107 6 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

friends with aerosmith pin keep calling me and telling me about how great the code is....
arrrrrggggggg.......

Is it that it's truly great, or is it just a relief that it's complete & functioning?

#1202 6 years ago

Have any of the new updates added voice clips and custom call outs? Last time I played it there were very few voice clips aside from "Holy Extra Ball" and a couple of others. Rules are the substantial meat of a game - but on a title like this, all the voices and humor are really what will make it feel super fun even if you don't know the nuance of the rules.

2 weeks later
#1300 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

IMVE and SMVE play ok, but they don't play as well as the originals. SMVE weighs about 40 pounds less, for starters (260 pounds unboxed for SM vs. 230 boxed for SMVE). Still fantastic games, but you can feel the cost cutting when you are playing them. They're just not as stout.

I had IM and now have IMve...plays and feels exactly the same to me.

#1302 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

That's good that you don't notice, but there is a difference. It took me a lot longer to buy one, but after the VE was released I hunted around to find an original. The difference between the original and the vault is smaller for Iron Man than it is for Spider-Man though. SMVE feels quite a bit different than the original.

Well, they both have the metal heads instead of wood...but they're both SAM and still have all the wiring - what was taken out to make it 30 lbs lighter? I played Spidey Vault a few times on location, and aside from the voices and animation, it felt like I was playing the same Spider-Man I'm used to. I mean...I guess if I was MOVING the games I'd notice...but when they're just planted and I'm playing - seemed the same to me.

#1318 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

At 5 months post launch with software nowhere near complete, I can't believe people are still defending Stern and this game's progress. It's literally unprecedented in the modern era.

MMMM....X-Men too a LONG time to get unbroken...maybe around the 8 month mark? And it still had bugs. I believe Metallica took about 6 months for a really good update and then around 8 to become stellar. BDK didn't get a killer update till about 2 years after it was released. I had STLE for about a year and it's asteroid flashers still weren't functional.

#1326 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Was it even fixed? Has that been coded in the most current code?

I dunno, I sold it after I was basically told "who cares" by someone at Stern.

Quoted from PinMonk:

But the difference in all those cases is the game at ship time was mostly complete. They may not have been FUN, but the GAME was mostly there and it would take longer than 10-15 minutes to see it all. We're at the 5 month mark and Batman 66 is still a very basic outline of a game, a shell that can be seen completely in about 10-15 minutes. But people are still making excuses, blaming everyone except Stern for the ongoing debacle.

Mmmmm...I dunno man, Metallica was missing all of the Crank It Up stuff at launch - although I DID think it was fun regardless! X-Men was completely broken at launch...I wouldn't say that was mostly complete at all. Anyway - I won't make excuses - this is total bullshit, especially for how much the game cost and how it was rolled out....buuuuuut - no one should have been surprised if they've followed Stern over the years.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 34.99
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gomez-promised-bm66-code-where-is-it?tu=Rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.