IMG_4182 (resized).JPG
IMG_4181 (resized).JPG
IMG_4179 (resized).JPG
IMG_4178 (resized).JPG
IMG_4176 (resized).JPG
bitmoji-20170718025611 (resized).png
spiderman-web-installed-small (resized).jpg
rps20170427_215314 (resized).jpg

There are 1,509 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 31.
#201 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Last Friday Lyman said he needed more time and we were told Tuesday.

They still have a little over 4 hours.

Guys guys...where's the goddamn faith?!!

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Rumor is Elvira is going to be announced in Texas.

That will suck because I'm very interested in Elvira 3, but probably not enough to commit to an early LE and hoping someday the code will be good.

#203 7 years ago

This just in from Commissioner Gordon:

IMG_1039 (resized).JPGIMG_1039 (resized).JPG

#204 7 years ago

15000 reasons not to buy an sle. broken promises!

#205 7 years ago

So 2 Tuesdays have went by since it was mentioned that there wld be new code .... im really not surprised that all has been quiet....are you all?

#206 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

So 2 Tuesdays have went by since it was mentioned that there wld be new code .... im really not surprised that all has been quiet....are you all?

TILT! No results found.

Stay Tuned.

#207 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

15000 reasons not to buy an sle. broken promises!

Well, they already cashed those checks and that $15K is in their bank account.

Time to promote Aerosmith!

#208 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Is it really that difficult to write code? Or edit pre-existing code to adapt it for the next game? I don't do pinball code. I have no idea what it looks like, how to edit it, what tools to use if I wanted to do such a thing on a Mac, or any of that. I genuinely would like to know, as I do work on plenty of other types of code on a daily basis. I'd love to take a peek at some just to get an idea what it looks like.
I also don't understand how a company as large as Stern can't have a full time code department really cranking out some masterful work on a regular basis. If only one person codes each game, I can see how it would take longer but again if that's their full time job 40 hours a week... Can anyone provide any insight?
I remember waiting for the TFTC unofficial 4.0 update for quite awhile. But that wasn't a full time job, that was getting done in chadh spare time I thought.

I've wondered much the same. Makes little sense.

#209 7 years ago

Seems to me, just like any manufacturing business, the goal is to keep the production line going. If I had forked over $10k for a BM66 LE and got it with v0.6 code I'd be pissed. And now they are working on getting Aerosmith on the line.

Stern invested all this money in a bigger factory to build more games and yet they failed to invest in the one thing that makes the product all run - solid programmers. God help 'em if anything happens to Lyman.

#210 7 years ago

Guess no code today guys

#211 7 years ago

Wait stern is central time. They have 2 hours. They just left McCormick place amped up.

#212 7 years ago

Maybe they are waiting till most of these games are shipped before they tackle the code. LOL. Stern will gladly tell you anything you want to hear to buy their product, take your money, and then leave you hanging. I hope not for all involved. SUCKERS!

#213 7 years ago

What's this? The Joker has hacked Lyman's computer?
Gomez no where to be found?
Tuesdays erased from all Gotham City calendars?

Can our heros find the code?

Tune in next week to find out. Same Bat-Time, Same Bat-Channel !!

#214 7 years ago

Come on jfj. You're supposed to be helping with Hawaii 5-O for the next title.

#215 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Come on jfh. You're supposed to be helping with Hawaii 5-O for the next title.

Book 'em, o-dino.

#216 7 years ago

Poor guys can't win: ship too soon and everyone is up in arms about poor QA -vs- ship patiently and everyone loses faith and becomes a cynic.

#217 7 years ago

Total fkn bullshit. No excuse....... PERIOD. Don't make promise's if you not going to make deadlines. Stern knows this is an issue but still puts PR like this out there. I feel sorry for the people who put faith in front of their pocketbooks. At least make a dam statement about it.

While I do love Stern games, I take them for face value anymore. What you see is what you get at the time, so you better be happy when you buy. They are a money making machine that cares about #1. I can only imagine how it is having to make excuses about this crap on a daily basis. Kudos to the whole Stern team in general for doing an outstanding job, not so much for upper management who seems only to care about a bottom line.

ALLOCATE MORE AND MONEY AND TIME FOR CODE DEVELOPMENT !!! Your sure as hell making it.

#218 7 years ago
Quoted from bjorg:

Poor guys can't win: ship too soon and everyone is up in arms about poor QA -vs- ship patiently and everyone loses faith and becomes a cynic.

Sure they can. If you promise a weekly update...then produce a weekly update. What is so hard to understand.

#219 7 years ago

Really disappointed in Stern at the moment; it would be different but this time Gomez went on record twice and both times no code update or anything and hey even charged premium price for batman 66.

#220 7 years ago

I'm sure Gomez wanted it out last week, but if Lyman isn't happy with it, or feels it is too buggy, then it ain't going out and I can't blame him and the poor guy probably has tremendous guilt about missing George's announced deadline.

He's there working on it, likely long days. To me this is a totally different situation than one of the other problem games that currently has no one working on it and we can only hope someone gets assigned back to them to finish them off.

#221 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm sure Gomez wanted it out last week, but if Lyman isn't happy with it, or feels it is too buggy, then it ain't going out and I can't blame him and the poor guy probably has tremendous guilt about missing George's announced deadline.
He's there working on it, likely long days. To me this is a totally different situation than one of the other problem games that currently has no one working on it and we can only hope someone gets assigned back to them to finish them off.

I get what you are saying but at one point Stern has to stop shooting itself in the foot. I really do feel bad for the programmers because they are obviously short staffed or the team doesnt jive well tigether. Whether the cause the final result is dissapointing turnaround times.

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Then make they should make a statement assuring all the new 66 owners that their trying to make this happen.

Not taking a shot at you , but how the heck would you know how hard and long he's working, what his daily schedule is at the plant. I would bet he's not sitting there 10 /12 hours a day writing code.

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I get what you are saying but at one point Stern has to stop shooting itself in the foot. I really do feel bad for the programmers because they are obviously short staffed or the team doesnt jive well tigether. Whether the cause the final result is dissapointing turnaround times.

Then they should make a statement assuring all the new 66 owners that their trying to make this happen.

Not taking a shot at you , but how the heck would you know how hard and long he's working, what his daily schedule is at the plant. I would bet he's not sitting there 10 /12 hours a day writing code.

#224 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Then they should make a statement assuring all the new 66 owners that their trying to make this happen.

This.

All Stern has to do is put out something saying they wanted to have a release yesterday but more bugs were found, yada, yada, yada. A simple statement like that would be appreciated and I think most reasonable people would be fine with it.

Its the constant lack of meaningful communication (good or bad news) that really pisses people off I think. Its like they have this air of arrogance about them and you feel like you'er naggging them just to get simple basic information on your purchase that you've spent thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on.

#225 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

I would bet most young people getting out of school looking for work do not want to start their career in a dying industry

Had to say this. Specifically did not apply to JJP when they were looking for a programmer because the future is pretty bleak. Not talking 5 years out, talking 30. If retirement was even remotely in site would have been different.

#226 7 years ago

I agree Frolic but simple communication goes a long way in business, especially when you have buyers and a market that are as passionate about the product as pinheads.

It seems easy enough for Stern to communicate promises yet they cannot communicate a simple follow up "sorry guys code is delayed because we want it to be awesome before we release it".

#227 7 years ago

They still need to update BDK code, and WOF code and... and... why should BM66 be any different? He promised though so I guess...

#228 7 years ago

If someone promises an update in 2 weeks, release whatever you have finished in 2 weeks and then continue coding. Simple time management. I'm not singling anyone out, it's just good business and what customers expect.

I am sure people would rather have 1 small addition every 2 weeks than 5 additions in months, no?

#229 7 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Nice to see people ease up on the actual talented people that do the work.

it has very little to do with coders.

It has everything to do with improper communication and now a lack of trust for anything the PR dept says. They are now to the point of being smarmy and used car salesmen. I wonder when they will wake up and realize Jody is the main person impacting the bottom line and setting them up for the wrong perception and distrust by the greater community (a dis trust that grows each day and everytime they screw up, outright lie, or strech a truth to try and generate more short term sales).

#230 7 years ago

Please stop including WOF in every code argument. WOF is finished, the programmer left Stern and it's not getting any more updates. BDK is finished too, why mention BDK?

Quoted from homebrood:

They still need to update BDK code, and WOF code and... and... why should BM66 be any different? He promised though so I guess...

#231 7 years ago

I agree completely communication is key and so far Gomez has promised two updates one for the 3rd and one for the 10th and supposedly every two weeks and nothing has happened and no other communication which is the crappy part

#232 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Please stop including WOF in every code argument. WOF is finished, the programmer left Stern and it's not getting any more updates

WoF actually got a code update in the past 2? years but it was not released to the public and only to the competitive circuit if I remember correctly. I also think WoF is a great example of an unfished game that was left for dead. That said, it deserves to be in the conversation since the coder is not the limitation to completion.

#233 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Please stop including WOF in every code argument. WOF is finished, the programmer left Stern and it's not getting any more updates. BDK is finished too, why mention BDK?

Ok what about Kiss and the meaningless cities?

#234 7 years ago

Absolutely, this needs to be rectified, and it will, but how long is anyones guess.

Quoted from shlockdoc:

#235 7 years ago
Quoted from homebrood:

Lol so funny how peoole cant let wof just go, let the dead horse rest =)

#236 7 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Remove the cities and code is done.

#237 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

This.
All Stern has to do is put out something saying they wanted to have a release yesterday but more bugs were found, yada, yada, yada. A simple statement like that would be appreciated and I think most reasonable people would be fine with it.
Its the constant lack of meaningful communication (good or bad news) that really pisses people off I think. Its like they have this air of arrogance about them and you feel like you'er naggging them just to get simple basic information on your purchase that you've spent thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on.

Anybody that believes anything that Stern says these days is setting themselves up for disappointment. I know firsthand, as do MANY others. It's not just code. In every aspect of their communication with customers and partners, they come up short. How many times has your distributor had to say, "I don't know, Stern hasn't said anything" to you? How many times has Stern said, "contact your distributor" to you right after you tried talking to your distributor? How many times have we heard "X will be happening soon" and then it never does or the definition of soon is beyond the snapping point? Really think about it. Stern doesn't care about their customer beyond how much money they can squeeze out of them. Period.

#238 7 years ago

Maybe today will be the day I have heard of some people running .61 code maybe someone could post that so we could have it most have had .6 code

#239 7 years ago

As I pointed out during the Dead Flip stream, Gomez chose the moment Lyman went off to do something briefly for the opportunity to spin a load of bullshit about code drops every 2 weeks until it's done. Unlikely it was a coincidence. He hardly looked thrilled when Gomez kept saying the first update would be released on Tuesday (4 days later - now 8 days ago), either.

Some of the other stuff Gomez has said, now this; people really shouldn't be under any illusions. He's absolutely full of it. His proclamations are nothing like the guarded, conservative, modest statements of other designers at Stern. But then he probably makes almost as much as all of them put together, given his role in the company. He has every reason to lie, and doesn't look like he has many qualms about it.

#240 7 years ago

Fwiw... code drops is lingo for builds to be used by others... not necessarily released externally

Code drops every two weeks could just be a mandate that code will be testable and usable every two weeks to be tested in the facility

#241 7 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Lol so funny how peoole cant let wof just go

Why? It's the standard by which all other incomplete code is measured.

#242 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

it has very little to do with coders.
It has everything to do with improper communication and now a lack of trust for anything the PR dept says. They are now to the point of being smarmy and used car salesmen. I wonder when they will wake up and realize Jody is the main person impacting the bottom line and setting them up for the wrong perception and distrust by the greater community (a dis trust that grows each day and everytime they screw up, outright lie, or strech a truth to try and generate more short term sales).

Most of the time it's easy to forget Stern has a PR department, even when it comes to promoting and releasing new games the initial teases and reveals come from third party sources/leaks.

Since the powers that be at Stern are clearly obsessed with the bottom line its mind boggling why no one has noticed they could probably increase profit with improved PR, when your in a niche/ market at some point you have to broaden your scope and customer base before you fade away.

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

I get what you are saying but at one point Stern has to stop shooting itself in the foot.

What's their motivation? This has been their M.O. for 5 or 6 years at least, and people are throwing MORE money at them for each game released. Until people speak with their wallets, it's going to be THE SAME THING...and at this point, anyone who's been a part of the pinball community for a while knows what they're getting...and if you complain about it like you're surprised, you've chosen to ignore the facts.

#245 7 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

As I pointed out during the Dead Flip stream, Gomez chose the moment Lyman went off to do something briefly for the opportunity to spin a load of bullshit about code drops every 2 weeks until it's done. Unlikely it was a coincidence. He hardly looked thrilled when Gomez kept saying the first update would be released on Tuesday (4 days later - now 8 days ago), either.
Some of the other stuff Gomez has said, now this; people really shouldn't be under any illusions. He's absolutely full of it. His proclamations are nothing like the guarded, conservative, modest statements of other designers at Stern. But then he probably makes almost as much as all of them put together, given his role in the company. He has every reason to lie, and doesn't look like he has many qualms about it.

I noticed that Lyman left, which at the time I thought was a little odd, would have been better to talk about it with him in the room maybe drop some code teases etc, clearly it wasn't coincidence.

Totally agree with what you said and the writing has been on the wall for quite a while. Just look back to LOTR, he was the lead designer and coincident or not ultimately Sterns first venture into LE territory and its a masterpiece without doubt thanks to Keith and his code.

But after that George is Sterns multiple LE's with poor code master, Transformers had 4 different variants 2 LE models, had poor code at the start and was left with poor code for quite a while, it eventually got a final update but nothing spectacular and don't get me started on the transforming toy he kept promising and teasing and never delivered. He was then lead and introduced BDK "lite aka Costco aka now as the pin"

Then his next "Cornerstone" release was Avengers again 4 variants with again 2 LE models and again left in code limbo for years.

And now he is the lead on Sterns most expensive game to date and introducing another tier the SLE. Seems like he has been on the path to the Stern dark side for a while. And is making a habit of over promising and under delivering, maybe that's why he chose to have Lyman on his game this time round (and the fact he coded the original BDK)

Might not be a popular view but he got the role of VP for a reason and the above gives you a good idea why.

#246 7 years ago

It's clear Stern makes almost all of their money during the pre-order process of a new title release. After that, orders trickle in for the title and they need to quickly release a new one to get that chunk of money in again.

Example, Aerosmith. Right when BM66 is released and the checks have cleared, it's on to the next game and promoting that and collecting pre orders.

Since they have already made their money, what's the incentive to continue to improve the code? They will tell you anything to pump up the latest pin, then move onto the next release. BM66 is old news... time to get all that money in for Aerosmith now.

#247 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Totally agree with what you said and the writing has been on the wall for quite a while. Just look back to LOTR, he was the lead designer and coincident or not ultimately Sterns first venture into LE territory and its a masterpiece without doubt thanks to Keith and his code.

LOTR LE was NOT their first LE. That was released in 2009...and aside from added shaker support and removal of action figures, it was the same exact game which had been finished YEARS before. LE's before LOTR: Elvis Gold, Dale Jr., Blacksuit Spider-Man...you could even say Harley 3rd Edition was an LE.

The first LE that actually had different mechanical features and not just bling was Avatar LE, which added a powerball & sensor, extra switches, extra coils for the AMP suit's feet, and a motor to open/close the Link Pod.

#248 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

It's clear Stern makes almost all of their money during the pre-order process of a new title release. After that, orders trickle in for the title and they need to quickly release a new one to get that chunk of money in again.

Revisionist thinking here..

The next game is already coming because Stern moved to a multi-title inventory model a few years back. Stern will take in TONS of more orders over the life of a title. It didn't build thousands of AC/DC based on the first preorders...

Stern builds in batches, and also build's multiple titles. They rotate the new titles in, as they rotate games out. Normally not as close to each other as this (tho it's been a full quarter since BM66 was launched) but the special games vs cornerstone games is also going to screw with the status quo as we knew it.

The other titles Stern is building at the time.. are also brining in money.. they don't need Aerosmith to bring in more money.

They can't recognize revenue until they INVOICE FOR IT.. which means shipping it. So SHIPPING GAMES is where they make their money.. not preorders.

#249 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOTR LE was NOT their first LE. That was released in 2009...and aside from added shaker support and removal of action figures, it was the same exact game which had been finished YEARS before. LE's before LOTR: Elvis Gold, Dale Jr., Blacksuit Spider-Man...you could even say Harley 3rd Edition was an LE.
The first LE that actually had different mechanical features and not just bling was Avatar LE, which added a powerball & sensor, extra switches, extra coils for the AMP suit's feet, and a motor to open/close the Link Pod.

Damn I always forget about Elvis

Dale Jr, was a limited run but was it a limited edition released with a none limited version at the same time? it was a retheme of Nascar, I was referring to LE releases as part of multi edition releases so games with a pro & le or pro prem le upon release, like Spiderman and Spiderman Black which I stand corrected on. Wasn't Harley similar to Dale Jr? released some time after the original release? Either way imo George has certainly been at the centre of all Sterns corporate moves and non customer focused moves.

#250 7 years ago

The code will get done you just have to be extremely patient.

Games like TWD & MET are awesome but they weren't over night.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 26.50
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
Armor and blades
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 210.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
Backbox
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods
Toppers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
19,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mead, WA
11,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,509 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gomez-promised-bm66-code-where-is-it/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.