E068BC28-1C77-4EBA-A752-B0012BED6ED8 (resized).jpeg
41E5ED28-875A-4872-8A41-F5C941927B1B (resized).jpeg
1F2A8306-796A-46FC-92BF-3771D6A59DD2 (resized).jpeg
DB28057C-8C08-4871-8078-B174645862F5 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
00808_i1Y9N1HO2z_600x450 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2638 (resized).jpg
20171015_113406 (resized).jpg
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

There were a lot of people interested in golf sims within the 'pics of gameroom' thread. The pictures below are of the setup I had at my previous home. Right now I'm working on cleaning out my garage at the new place so I can get another setup going. I'm happy to answer any questions, and I'm curious to see what ideas others may have.

It sounds expensive, but you can get a pretty darn nice setup for the price of a Stern Pro, or a budget setup for a couple thousand. I'll post more info later.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2 4 years ago

Nice new thread. I had hoped to put a golf sim in my basement when I finished it. Unfortunately, the ceiling was about a foot too short, so instead I made it into a game room. Not a big problem as I did renovate the backyard into a 3 hole course based on Amen Corner. Figured with a golf course and a game room, the only thing missing was a club house. I do wish I could have made a golf sim work however.
game room may2019 (resized).jpggame room may2019 (resized).jpg20180716_204809 (resized).jpg20180716_204809 (resized).jpgclubhouse (resized).jpgclubhouse (resized).jpg

#3 4 years ago

Any space in the garage? How high are your basement ceilings?

About 10' height should cover pretty much anyone, even with a driver. You may be able to get by with less depending on player height/swing type. You may consider only swinging shorter clubs. I spend a lot of time on mine with the "wedge matrix" feature, trying to hone in my short game (and usually failing). I may consider one even if I could only swing wedges or short irons.

That course is neat. My wife agreed to let me put in a syn green in the backyard. That's a compromise, as I was legitimately trying to convince her to do our entire lawn in syn turf, Dave Pelz stlye (on a much more modest scale than the picture).

#4 4 years ago

Really wanted one but don't have the ceiling height. Maybe one day, I'll build a detached "shed" for one. Until then, my club is in the process of building one right now, so I'll get to spend a lot of time playing this winter.

#5 4 years ago

I have a net and a skycaddie does that count? I like to watch GG swing tips and then try to emulate

894206F9-0EEF-4DE6-AD77-1CF0EBB77CD2 (resized).jpeg894206F9-0EEF-4DE6-AD77-1CF0EBB77CD2 (resized).jpeg
#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Any space in the garage? How high are your basement ceilings?
About 10' height should cover pretty much anyone, even with a driver. You may be able to get by with less depending on player height/swing type. You may consider only swinging shorter clubs. I spend a lot of time on mine with the "wedge matrix" feature, trying to hone in my short game (and usually failing). I may consider one even if I could only swing wedges or short irons.
That course is neat. My wife agreed to let me put in a syn green in the backyard. That's a compromise, as I was legitimately trying to convince her to do our entire lawn in syn turf, Dave Pelz stlye (on a much more modest scale than the picture).

Unfortunately, the garage is always filled with cars. But that is actually what I use the garage for

20160713_220341 (resized).jpg20160713_220341 (resized).jpg20160713_135220 (resized).jpg20160713_135220 (resized).jpg
#7 4 years ago

I dont think my garage has ever been that clean...

There are a lot of people that use modular type setups so they can fold up hitting mats etc and still get cars in.

#8 4 years ago

I dont think my garage has ever been that clean...
There are a lot of people that use modular type setups so they can fold up hitting mats etc and still get cars in.

There’s a guy that had his whole setup on a hoist. It’s on YouTube somewhere. When not in use the whole floor platform could be raised to the ceiling and he could park underneath it.

#9 4 years ago

I don't golf but have thought of putting one in when I build my new "barn". Will be monitoring this thread.

#10 4 years ago

joining the thread just because I think they are super cool

#11 4 years ago

What do you need for ceiling height for one of these simulators?
I'm 6'3" tall.

#12 4 years ago

That depends on swing plane and such, but 10' is usually a safe height for most golfers with all clubs.

#13 4 years ago

Okay 2 pictures of my setup and a accidental pinball pic that I can't delete

I first started with the optishot which was fun but only regesters the club. It is the entry level of golf simulators, but keeps you swinging through the winter.

Next I went to the p3 pressing, it has more sensors to read the club, but once again only read the club. I found it fussier to set up but then was more accurate for ball distances.

Now I have the skytrak which is more money, but still on the lesser expensive end of simulators. It measures ball launch and spin. I found it the easiest to step up and just swing than the other 2 units. Like all there is some setup and tweaking that needs to be done to start.

My setup is a 10' net and takes up 1 side of my 2 car garage. I put it away for the summer as the mat is just on a wooden platform. I have the tv cpu and speakers mounted on a old high school av cart. I try to make it as portable as I can. Does not have have a projector and hitting at the screen, but keeps me swinging.

20171015_113406 (resized).jpg20171015_113406 (resized).jpg20161218_193041 (resized).jpg20161218_193041 (resized).jpg20170923_113824 (resized).jpg20170923_113824 (resized).jpg
#14 4 years ago

I have a skytrak set up with an enclosure from Carl's. Aspect ratio takes up the whole screen, which is nice. Powered by gaming PC so it runs graphics smooth. Was a fun project to put together last winter. It also doubles as a VR room, run by an Oculus Rift S

Here is a video with the simulator on -

Has anyone else noticed lower than expected distances with skytrak, and the golf club 2019? It seems like I have to club up with my irons, and my driver is about 15-20 yards short.
IMG_2638 (resized).jpgIMG_2638 (resized).jpg

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

Okay 2 pictures of my setup and a accidental pinball pic that I can't delete
I first started with the optishot which was fun but only regesters the club. It is the entry level of golf simulators, but keeps you swinging through the winter.
Next I went to the p3 pressing, it has more sensors to read the club, but once again only read the club. I found it fussier to set up but then was more accurate for ball distances.
Now I have the skytrak which is more money, but still on the lesser expensive end of simulators. It measures ball launch and spin. I found it the easiest to step up and just swing than the other 2 units. Like all there is some setup and tweaking that needs to be done to start.
My setup is a 10' net and takes up 1 side of my 2 car garage. I put it away for the summer as the mat is just on a wooden platform. I have the tv cpu and speakers mounted on a old high school av cart. I try to make it as portable as I can. Does not have have a projector and hitting at the screen, but keeps me swinging.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Lefties unite!

#16 4 years ago

When I first moved to Madison, WI 20 years' ago I was shopping around for an apartment. And one of the larger apartment complexes had a clubhouse with a Golf Simulator that was free to use for members. I'm not sure of the brand but it had astroturf, a projector and a screen that you hit into and had a bunch of different courses that you could select from. It was the first time that I had ever seen one and it seemed pretty state of the art for that time. After seeing this it instantly sold me on getting an apartment there. I ended up using it pretty often and it did seem pretty accurate at least for the longer range shots. I remember that the complex would even offer free golf lessons some weekends and the instructor was Jack Stricker (PGA player Steve Stricker's) uncle who lives in the area. I know this doesn't really add much to this club thread, but for what it's worth I think these simulators are pretty cool, and I wish I had the space to put one!

#17 4 years ago

anyone have a putting simulator where it changes up he green?

#18 4 years ago

Being 15 to 20 yards short is fairly common. I have seen it blamed on a "Indoor swing" being slower than outdoor. Most programs have the option to boost your distance, to where you think its correct.

Big thing I watch is if I have side spin or slice too much. I developed sways last winter and did not believe I was slicing as bad as it showed. Sure enough come spring I was slicing bad as it showed, so I guess the simulator was correct.

Lefties are common in Canada, I can easily get a 4some of us together

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Has anyone else noticed lower than expected distances with skytrak, and the golf club 2019? It seems like I have to club up with my irons, and my driver is about 15-20 yards short.

Is it just within the TGC software? Are there any elevation settings you can adjust?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

anyone have a putting simulator where it changes up he green?

Before I finished the basement and turned it into my game room, I almost bought this older Pro Challenge game. That never worked out, but I was able to find an older version of the Putting Challenge trainer/game. Price was right too.

00808_i1Y9N1HO2z_600x450 (resized).jpeg00808_i1Y9N1HO2z_600x450 (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
5 months later
#22 3 years ago

Going to purchase a Skytrak with the game improvement package very soon. Question....

Would you rather have the WGT World Golf Tour golf simulation or The Golf Club 2019 simulation? I'm leaning towards TGC 2019 for the number of courses to play. Thoughts?

#23 3 years ago

If anyone is upgrading their system and wants to sell their old one, please let me know. I’d like to build a nice simulator for my daughter who’s playing high school golf. I already have a projector, ceiling mount, hdmi cable, and a MacBook Pro that can build it. Just need the simulator and looking to do it with a conservative budget. Thank you in advance...

3 weeks later
#24 3 years ago

Well, I finally finished building my custom sim. Actual sim arrives tomorrow and is final piece of the puzzle. I built a wall to separate the two garage stalls. I’ve been building this in my head for 5 years and finally took advantage of the lockdown to make it a reality. It’s hard taking pics but these should show pretty well. Screen is 11.5’w x 8.5’h and from tee to screen is 10’. My ceiling height is 9’3”.

DB28057C-8C08-4871-8078-B174645862F5 (resized).jpegDB28057C-8C08-4871-8078-B174645862F5 (resized).jpeg1F2A8306-796A-46FC-92BF-3771D6A59DD2 (resized).jpeg1F2A8306-796A-46FC-92BF-3771D6A59DD2 (resized).jpeg2FC9D50D-F0E7-4689-A077-69455BC839B5 (resized).jpeg2FC9D50D-F0E7-4689-A077-69455BC839B5 (resized).jpeg41E5ED28-875A-4872-8A41-F5C941927B1B (resized).jpeg41E5ED28-875A-4872-8A41-F5C941927B1B (resized).jpeg5F0C18EE-DD7A-415A-92FA-4746A6F54A1A (resized).jpeg5F0C18EE-DD7A-415A-92FA-4746A6F54A1A (resized).jpegE068BC28-1C77-4EBA-A752-B0012BED6ED8 (resized).jpegE068BC28-1C77-4EBA-A752-B0012BED6ED8 (resized).jpegF804E95C-FDD4-4F41-ACD2-62CFFE0BA8B3 (resized).jpegF804E95C-FDD4-4F41-ACD2-62CFFE0BA8B3 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#25 3 years ago

Anyone have a Skytrak they'd like to sell? I'd prefer a used one, figured I'd check before I buy a new one.

1 month later
#26 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeHogue:

Going to purchase a Skytrak with the game improvement package very soon. Question....
Would you rather have the WGT World Golf Tour golf simulation or The Golf Club 2019 simulation? I'm leaning towards TGC 2019 for the number of courses to play. Thoughts?

What package did you end up picking up?

1 year later
#27 2 years ago

I’m looking for a used golf simulator ... anyone have one they are looking to sell? PM me with details....

#28 2 years ago

Check out the Skytrak or Golf Simulator facebook groups. I've seen some pretty good deals on Skytrak units recently.

#29 2 years ago

I've got one but highly suspect vintage isn't what you're after.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1950s-ae-peterson-folda-fairway-home-golf-course

#30 2 years ago

Haha! I actually looked at your ad multiple times...would be a fun little conversation piece! If only you were closer....

#31 2 years ago

Check out the Skytrak or Golf Simulator facebook groups. I've seen some pretty good deals on Skytrak units recently.

Maybe it’s time to join Facebook? Ugh

#32 2 years ago

this is really cool, I hope an arcade fan into golf sees this (this is the right thread for that LOL)

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Maybe it’s time to join Facebook? Ugh

facebook is absolutely awful and the only reason to even go on at all is that it can be sometimes useful for the coinop groups as they are predominantly older people

#34 2 years ago

Found a guy selling this...does anyone know how old this unit is? Any buying advice or pitfalls I should be looking for?

FF1638A6-C43F-4818-95EB-6FF433913B62 (resized).jpegFF1638A6-C43F-4818-95EB-6FF433913B62 (resized).jpeg
#35 2 years ago

Found a guy selling this...does anyone know how old this unit is? Any buying advice or pitfalls I should be looking for?
[quoted image]

No idea how old it is. I got an early refurb Skytrak unit and mine works great. What are they asking?

A couple of things about the Skytrak in general...

- The bare bones range is free. You can fire balls down the range without setting clubs or collecting any data. In order to take advantage of club mapping, targets, and dump data, you'll need to cover 100/yr. You'll also need that 100/yr level package to use any of the extra software options that exist.

- The read time is a little slow, and that bothers some people. I think for me it's really helped train me on what a good shot vs bad shot feels like, and then you get that feedback visually a couple of seconds later that help you hone in on that.

- Misreads may happen from time to time. It's not awful, especially if you're in a range session. There are ways to help - certain units might like the ball just behind the laser dot, they like the ball markings to be facing the unit, etc.

- You'll see a ton of people pumping TGC2019 software. A lot of that is because one of the major forums is partnered or affiliated in some way with that vendor. Do yourself a favor and at least take advantage of some trial software (they sort of bury this):

https://demos.skytrakgolf.com/simulation/demo

If you decide none of them are for you, the TGC2019 software may be the right fit. It's tough to drop 900 without playing, so you may consider just getting the steam version and playing without the simulation aspect to see if you like the software.

#36 2 years ago

Thank you for the info. My daughter is on the high school golf team and they were state runners-up as a team this year. They want to win state next year, and I would like to see her continue practicing through winter in the garage. So the main thing is to get data on her swing speed, ball direction, etc,. Having a course to play would be cool, but main goal is to keep her development moving forward into the spring.

#37 2 years ago

What are they asking?

Full setup...screen, net, hitting mat with half moon ball holder, projector with turf cover, putting green, and Skytrack "Game Improvement Packaage" expires end of 2021 plus The Golf Club and TGC 2019 expire end of 2022 (if the software can be transferred ownership)...asking $6500.

C87441FF-3870-404E-B7D6-C8D1D3136651 (resized).jpegC87441FF-3870-404E-B7D6-C8D1D3136651 (resized).jpeg
#38 2 years ago

Not endorsing shop.

100% hands down the best bang for your buck.

https://www.fairwaygolfusa.com/category/select/pid/397748/language/en?region=usa&gclid=CjwKCAiAvriMBhAuEiwA8Cs5lV_zGjxjZKxT71TL_AhmD987UEcb12iBY3umbpvaeK6F3QL4M19_IxoCmHoQAvD_BwE

Doppler based. I have a SkyTrak, it’s great but way overpriced. SkyTrak only if space is a huge issue.

If you have room for a Doppler based system, the Garmin is excellent and cheap (relatively)

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:Thank you for the info. My daughter is on the high school golf team and they were state runners-up as a team this year. They want to win state next year, and I would like to see her continue practicing through winter in the garage. So the main thing is to get data on her swing speed, ball direction, etc,. Having a course to play would be cool, but main goal is to keep her development moving forward into the spring.

That's awesome! If you can get some high speed camera action from your phone on her while she swings, that sort of feedback is invaluable. I've played the best golf of my life this year, and most of the credit goes to the work I've put in in my garage.

Full setup...screen, net, hitting mat with half moon ball holder, projector with turf cover, putting green, and Skytrack "Game Improvement Packaage" expires end of 2021 plus The Golf Club and TGC 2019 expire end of 2022 (if the software can be transferred ownership)...asking $6500.[quoted image]

Projector too? PC? Kind of hard to put value on the whole package, but it seems a little high to me. I built mine out of electrical conduit and some blackout curtains on the side. I put a gym mat on the wall to block my errant shots (mine is only setup for right handers).

Here's the impact screen most people seem to like, though you could just fire into a net and use a TV for feedback as well, or even your phone if you're just using the range. I do that quite often for ease of use, like right before I leave for a round.

https://shop.carlofet.com/golf-impact-screens

I had a custom green built for the 10x12 area I use. They cut out and stitched a section for me to inlay a proper (country club elite) hitting mat. I can't find the price for that, but I don't think it was outrageous.

I think you could probably build something out for at least a similar price, but any questions let me know.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Not endorsing shop.
100% hands down the best bang for your buck.
https://www.fairwaygolfusa.com/category/select/pid/397748/language/en?region=usa&gclid=CjwKCAiAvriMBhAuEiwA8Cs5lV_zGjxjZKxT71TL_AhmD987UEcb12iBY3umbpvaeK6F3QL4M19_IxoCmHoQAvD_BwE
Doppler based. I have a SkyTrak, it’s great but way overpriced. SkyTrak only if space is a huge issue.
If you have room for a Doppler based system, the Garmin is excellent and cheap (relatively)

I've seen those, but really haven't looked into it since I already own hardware. Does it require (or benefit from) a certain distance of ball flight? The value looks great!

#41 2 years ago

Because someone was looking at one…

I bought a used SkyTrak for $1k.

Worked for 2 weeks then stopped reading shots.

SkyTrak guys were good, fixed it (supposedly) for $105, just got it back today.

Caveat, it took them 1.5 months.

FWIW.

#42 2 years ago

Anyone have experience with Optishot?

#43 2 years ago

That’s what I have now. Always figured I could upgrade to another setup once I had all the other components in place first.

#44 2 years ago

If it's strictly goofing around, optishot may be fun. For game improvement of any sort, avoid.

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Looks like Garmin is backordered until late January...ugh...how much room does the Doppler based system need? More than a skytrak? I like the price range on that...if it’s accurate and can improve a golf game, that might be my starter device while I build my hitting bay around it. Can you provide comment on accuracy?

#46 2 years ago

This is probably not the same (since it isn't MY gamerrom) but my business has 2 bays with Golfzon installed. The system is top notch. We are also adding 10-20 bays of Top Tracer next summer.

#47 2 years ago

Looks like Garmin is backordered until late January...ugh...how much room does the Doppler based system need? More than a skytrak? I like the price range on that...if it’s accurate and can improve a golf game, that might be my starter device while I build my hitting bay around it. Can you provide comment on accuracy?

Wait for jalpert to comment on the Garmin, as that sounds really promising, but the skytrak has been really accurate in my experience. The space needed is minimal. Spin decay was added for the skytrak recently, which was one of the few things really keeping from performing better against the more expensive units, but even before that it held its own. You're going to get a really solid estimation of your distances and shop shape. It's really incredible tech. I don't see any inconsistencies between my real game, and what the device provides me for simulated readouts.

I think it performs all of its captures within a couple of feet. I only have 4-5 ft of clearance on the front end, so something like a gc2 may not work much better (if at all).

I think in most cases you can set yourself for disappointment if you're expecting a lot from the course software stuff. It's actually better than I expected, but I came from a p3proswing, which was mostly a disaster. It's just that the short game isn't very fun in simulation. But set a big gimme circle, and really get technical on distances and swing feel and you'll still get some benefit.

3 months later
#48 2 years ago

It’s been a long wait but I’m finally a member of the club…

Uneekor EyeXO
Sunk the floor in my basement an extra 14” to give me 11’2” clearance.

Also installed a 6” standard putting cup.

Hate to say it but my pins are jealous. Still need to finish a few things but I’m playing….

FD431C50-C6C7-431F-8C7A-16ABBD69B9FC (resized).jpegFD431C50-C6C7-431F-8C7A-16ABBD69B9FC (resized).jpeg
#49 2 years ago
Quoted from PinPickle:

It’s been a long wait but I’m finally a member of the club…
Uneekor EyeXO
Sunk the floor in my basement an extra 14” to give me 11’2” clearance.
Also installed a 6” standard putting cup.
Hate to say it but my pins are jealous. Still need to finish a few things but I’m playing….[quoted image]

Damn, that looks incredible! What's that padding material you're using and how did you mount it? What sim software?

I'm pretty jealous of the basement setups. I don't have the option for anything other than the garage without an addition.

#50 2 years ago

Damn, that looks incredible! What's that padding material you're using and how did you mount it? What sim software?
I'm pretty jealous of the basement setups. I don't have the option for anything other than the garage without an addition.

What he said! That’s a sweet setup there. Nice job!

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/golf-simulator-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.