Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

io_board_led (resized).jpg
20180504_213456 (resized).jpg
20180504_213459 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Cheers!
So... I got this goldeneye which had some issues, and its been stowed away in a garage for 1-2 years. All fuses were fine, and the bracket for the plunger coil was broken but apart from that it seemed fine.

Alas, have some issues on startup.
I noticed there is some battery acid damage around the battery, not too much but might be a problem.

When powering on, we get the gunfire sound which seems to get stuck in a loop.
Also the dmd is dead. Except when powering off, then i see some artifacts on the screen. Any ideas what moght cause behaviour like this?

Video is here:

20180504_213459 (resized).jpg20180504_213459 (resized).jpg

20180504_213456 (resized).jpg20180504_213456 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Well, if it were me, the first thing I would do would be remove the batteries and desolder the battery holder holder and get it off of there. Then I would neutralize the alkaline leakage on the board. If you have never done this, refer to this post
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stripping-battery-corrosion-with-a-strong-acid
I have had great success with this method. This alone might fix your problem because that alkaline on the board can causes shorts and make the board do weird stuff. However, I noticed from your video that the 20V and 50V LEDs are not lit up on the driver board so there may be a power supply issue but I would clean that battery leakage first and see what happens and then go from there.

#3 5 years ago

man!! thats a lot of corrosion that could be your main problem,also corrosion spreads like wildfire it hides behind the battery holder-a real mess

#4 5 years ago

Do you have the manual? my reason for asking is it would be a good idea to replace all the fuses.then reseat all connectors and ribbon cables.but like i said before that corrosion is way too much.do you have another good board you can throw in there?damn shame a game like this just sitting for 1-2 years with no love

#5 5 years ago

Yeah I will remove the batteryholder and alkaline and try a cleanup, dont have another board as of now, so might need to buy a used or NOS.

But yeah it felt like its confused.
Hmm where in that board is the 20v led?
Will consult the manual.

A real shame its been withering away. But the playfield looks good beneath all dirt!

#6 5 years ago

Here is a picture of the driver board with the LEDs circled.

io_board_led (resized).jpgio_board_led (resized).jpg

#7 5 years ago

Your CPU board need be fix.Look how much corrosion you have around IC's next to the battery holder.You must replace them and also check and the one with the socket.It may have some under it too.Do this and for the yelllw caps and resistors.First do this things and after that we can continue to talk if there more problems.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

Your CPU board need be fix.Look how much corrosion you have around IC's next to the battery holder.You must replace them and also check and the one with the socket.It may have some under it too.Do this and for the yelllw caps and resistors.First do this things and after that we can continue to talk if there more problems.

right,if i were the owner for the time being i would throw in a new board and get it up and running.Thats a lot of corrosion and like you said on and around IC's,sockets ect.

#9 5 years ago

Yeah i am already looking for a used cpu board, tobget it up and running. If any one has one spare, please tell

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Yeah i am already looking for a used cpu board, tobget it up and running. If any one has one spare, please tell

best thing to do is start a new thread about buying one and someone will contact you or post that they have one.i can help by bumping up the thread to stay on top so fellow pinsiders can see.

#11 5 years ago

But this corrosion is not so bad and can be fix easy.
Find someone to do it,it will be more cheap than buy used board.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

But this corrosion is not so bad and can be fix easy.
Find someone to do it,it will be more cheap than buy used board.

it's bad and corrosion does not just wipe off and go away,it hides really well and spreads.even if you give it a great cleaning it most likely/will keep popping up

#13 5 years ago

If you find my threads where I had several projects with the corrosion you will see that if you someone know what to do it will do it right and no corrosion will left.
I don't talk for cleaning.This is not the way.It's more different method.If I were in US I can fix this board but you are too far from me.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

If you find my threads where I had several projects with the corrosion you will see that if you someone know what to do it will do it right and no corrosion will left.
I don't talk for cleaning.This is not the way.It's more different method.If I were in US I can fix this board but you are too far from me.

Oh ok,cool im sorry i didnt know you had put up threads about it

#15 5 years ago

I just say that the damages are not so scary and can be fix instead to find some board that will cost 300$+.
There are many members that can do it.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

I just say that the damages are not so scary and can be fix instead to find some board that will cost 300$+.
There are many members that can do it.

Right if the owner has some free time why not

#17 5 years ago

It's not more 3-4 hours job.I can see 2-3 ICs(U214,U212 and eventually U200),two sockets(RAM and CPU IC's) and 4 resistors and 5-6 caps.Check the traces and job done.
If I can see well the corrosion is to U200.
These boards are not easy to find also.

Missing +20V and +50V can be from opened coin door.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from arakissun:

Im actually in Oslo, Norway, Europe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet Parts
Gameroom Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/goldeneye-startup-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.