Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 17 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150415_235554[1].jpg
20150415_235131[1].jpg
Alumide Sat Dish Back.jpg
Alumide Sat Dish Front.jpg
image-173.jpg
7.jpg
sat6.jpg
sat4.jpg
GE7_M4I_SEVERNAYA_OUTPOST.jpg
sat dish.jpg
Goldeneye Dish V5SW.jpg
Goldeneye Sat Dish V4SW.jpg
image-48.jpg
image-755.jpg
P1050720.jpg
Goldeneye Sat Dish.jpg

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 6 years ago

So, if I order on that site and don't select a colour, the one I order will look like the silver mod, right?

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from DJdeadlyDALEK:

So, if I order on that site and don't select a colour, the one I order will look like the silver mod, right?

NO - the silver option was the alumide - which shapeways combined grey nylon and then aluminium flakes and once polished up gives an industrial metallic sparkle effect, BUT due to the combining of the 2 materials it affects the material binding and therefore is a weaker option compared to the solid colours. I too wanted this option but they recommended to me that since a ball will be impacting the dish it isn't recommended.

The silver I printed is on a home 3d printer and it isn't a perfect option as you can see the layers due to the way it was printed as opposed to the shapeways option will be very smooth.

hope that clears up any confusion.

#103 6 years ago

It totally does, thank you for the clarification

#104 6 years ago

Guys, this turned out incredibly nice! It looks sooooo much better than the original, I think if you can hunt down some black screws that would also add to the complete look!

I do want to mention that everyone's magnet core is going to be different, mine is *really* mushroomed out, so I had to take a sharp knife and gently carve out the center of the dish (we're only talking by a few millimeters.....) before it would seat itself over the magnet. Some people might not have to do as much "carving" but some of that *will* be involved.......I just don't want Swinks getting any attitudes from anyone who purchases it thinking it'll pop on in a couple of seconds - it's not a design flaw......it's dealing with a magnet core hammered to death and flattened at the edges, if you made the center cut-out larger, it would not sit snugly around the center of the magnet core (the part NOT mushroomed out).

Also, that magnet core will slide back and forth if you release some of the tension behind it via that huge nut that tightens the magnet to the mounting bracket. Pushing the magnet core outwards, away from the plastic disk sitting behind it will help the new satellite dish "bite" around the perimeter of the magnet like it should - my magnet core needed this as it was practically flush to the surface and didn't offer much surface for the new dish to fit over.

Swinks great job!!!

Looking forwards to seeing the new dishes installed - post pics!

#105 6 years ago

Thanks Nate, much appreciate. The core is approx 3/4 inch or 19mm, therefore the hole is 21mm allowing so minor clearance so it isn't a super tight fit.

I checked out some other sites and none allowed grey nylon plastic and only one had a abs option but was close to $200 so not a option. Due to a few requests I opened the polished alumide as an option to buy but it is a little more expensive and I am unsure of performance due to the slightly brittle qualities as they are combining nylon and aluminium flakes. A 3mm thick dish may offset the brittle qualities but I take no responsibility for any potential issues.

And yes if anyone does buy one please post pics.

#106 6 years ago

I ground done my mushroomed core back to its original size so that there was a small gap. Probably a good idea for everyone to check to prevent any further stress on the dish.

#107 6 years ago

I wouldnt doubt the mushrooming caused center outward stress Doozie, the cracking sure indicates it! the original plexi probably puts up with a lot until that starts happening. I really like that new panelled look swinks, and under 100 bucks seems a GREAT deal for whats not likely to get broken again. the gray nylon, left plain nylon and lightly hit with silver paint then lightly sanded to leave the silver down in the texturing (the ball aint gonna get that anyhow) might be better than aluminum flake into the plastic itself, I get it about the dissimilar materials thing and that metallic look sure nice!

#108 6 years ago

Zizzle, that's a great idea, doing a silver wash over the surface.

I also though it would be cool to mount some blue led's around the perimeter so that they'd come on when the dish is activated!!

#109 6 years ago

makes me wish I still had a golden eye

1 week later
#110 6 years ago

Anyone know if you can buy a new magnet core anywhere???

#111 6 years ago

Has anyone considered the parabolic lamp reflectors associated with large 6V battery powered lanterns? Nice silver finish, relatively rugged and about the same size as needed. Easily found in thrift stores and other places. Just a thought.......

#113 6 years ago

You're the man Doozie. Thanks!

#114 6 years ago

Even though I did a modded version I am all for an original. Check out the link below of a NEW Satellite Dish on the aussie ebay with a $1 start includes FREE postage

- currently at $11.50 Aus Dollars so a bargain.

one recently went on ebay at a buy now for $75US + postage

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221436526885?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Even though I did a modded version I am all for an original. Check out the link below of a NEW Satellite Dish on the aussie ebay with a $1 start includes FREE postage
- currently at $11.50 Aus Dollars so a bargain.
one recently went on ebay at a buy now for $75US + postage
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221436526885?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

BUMP, still at $11.50 including postage

less than 1 day left

10 months later
#116 5 years ago

just picked up one of Swinks awesome satellite dishes. get rid of those crappy original ones.
Highly recommended to anyone that has a goldeneye. Much appreciated my friend.

20150415_235131[1].jpg

20150415_235554[1].jpg

#117 5 years ago

looks awesome mate, thanks for sharing.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

I also though it would be cool to mount some blue led's around the perimeter so that they'd come on when the dish is activated!!

If you do this, do you mind posting pictures or explain how you did it? Where you made the electrical connection?

Thanks,
Mike in Kentucky

#119 5 years ago

I have a idea of how to possibly do this if there is interest, as I could tweak the design to have a number of holes and hooks on the back of the dish for fibre optics and then a little housing for a light source.

Thoughts......

1 month later
#120 5 years ago

a few pics of just the Polished Metallic Plastic option at Shapeways.

The standard is $39.50 USD
https://www.shapeways.com/product/HS9AS3656/goldeneye-pinball-satellite-dish-repro?optionId=43676234

The modded version is $39.50 USD, but due to the manufacturing process the polished metallic plastic option is $62.50 USD with the price being out of my control
https://www.shapeways.com/product/DY42C9EQF/goldeneye-pinball-satellite-dish-modded?li=search-results-1&optionId=19214667

I will have a 3rd option released soon with a lighting mod added to the panel look.

front view
Alumide Sat Dish Front.jpg

back view
Alumide Sat Dish Back.jpg

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside