(Topic ID: 280999)

Goldeneye magnets stopped working

By Melvyns28

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hi all, I picked up a Goldeye last week. Everything work just fine then I noticed that the save magnet wasn't working on the next game I played nor does the satellite magnet. The magnet board LEDs are not lite. I checked all fuses. All are ok. I replaced them anyway and still nothing. Question here is could a bad chip cause the LEDs not to light up or would those light up with a good or bad chip. I am willing to buy the new board replacment but don't want to put up the money if thats not the problem. A replacement chip is much cheaper. Any Thoughts?

2 months later
    #2 3 years ago

Looking at my manual. Do you have a volt meter to see if power is getting to the magnets?

U1 is the IC that has the outputs for both those magnets. The LEDs come off of the chip at pin 1 and pin 17. Since not lit probable that might not have power at pin 14 for J1 connector. If that is good look at pin 14 on the IC.

Check power going into the board at the J1 connector 1 and 2 which is the 50v supply.

#3 3 years ago

Door on the unit needs to be closed...50volt supply will turnoff for safety reasons.

#4 3 years ago

I bought my Goldeneye 4/5 years ago and had the same issue....I can replace bulbs, fuses and resolder wires but that's the extent of my technical knowledge. I had my tech take a look and it was a problem with the chip. If memory serves me he called Stern and it's a known issue with this chip/machine and they did have a replacement and/or workaround.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/goldeneye-magnets-stopped-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.