(Topic ID: 183145)

Goldeneye blows fuse on startup

By thestreetzking

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hey guys. My Goldeneye which is everyday giving me a new problem now has one that's making the game unplayable.

My f21 fuse, which in manual says 3a 250v slo blo 50v dc coils is blowing on start up

However. If I replace it, I can start the game and play all night, when I shut it off, and turn the game back on is when it blows.

So it's the second cycle of the game.

I have no clue where to start and this is a new problem.

#3 7 years ago

thanks for the reply. Heres a quick question in regards to this.

I ordered a 3a breaker so I dont keep blowing fuses. If it is in fact only during start up that the power surge blows the fuse but then continues to work like normal, what is a common cause of this?

Also. The fuse that was in the game when I received it was a 6.25A slo blo. the manual calls for 3. the game played fine for a week. Do u think the previous owner did this because of the issue im having?

I plan on running a test of all coils to see if something pops it.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from thestreetzking:

I ordered a 3a breaker so I dont keep blowing fuses. If it is in fact only during start up that the power surge blows the fuse but then continues to work like normal, what is a common cause of this?

That is a hum dinger, as not having had the pleasure of working on a Sega machine from this era, w/o having a board to investigate, I'm not sure. Hopefully another more versed Pinsider will chime in.

Quoted from thestreetzking:

Also. The fuse that was in the game when I received it was a 6.25A slo blo. the manual calls for 3. the game played fine for a week. Do u think the previous owner did this because of the issue im having?

I think that is the precise reason a higher rated fuse was installed, likely went through a few ratings until they found one that did not blow. However by doing so, this could have caused damage to the current components which could in turn be causing your start up issues.
Chicken / Egg thing. I would suspect there was a problem, perhaps in a coil, some time ago, and instead of fixing the problem they fixed the symptom. The root problem may have even been eventually fixed but the collateral damage was already done on the sensitive components.

Not much help but maybe my two cents was worth at least 1 !
GL

#5 7 years ago

I do very much appreciate it, this weekend I will diagnose what I can and report my findings

1 week later
#6 7 years ago

Ok so long story short. Coils are correct and work. Found out the transistors q1 and q2 were replaced. Both of the coils for this were firing on start up and blowing the fuse.

I noticed they used the wrong transistors when the previous owner replaced.

I replaced those with the correct ones.

Fired game up, and again heard some coils fire (not the shooting lane or ball trough up kick q1, q2) and blew the fuse.

Found out with help that the fuse will not blow when unplugging J8 so it's something with those 4 coils that are on that line.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Cabinet Parts
Gameroom Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/goldeneye-blows-fuse-on-startup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.