Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Tsskinne
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Ill be picking up a Goldeneye 007 machine from a local pizza joint tomorrow. I haven't seen the machine in person but I am getting such a good price I don't care. Anyways the owner says the display went blank. Aside from the normal stuff like loose connections and whatnot, are there any common issues with the Sega/Stern Whitestar system machines that I should anticipate?

#2 10 years ago

I don't know about any common issues with Whitestar per say but a trouble spot on that particular board is the magnet board that controls the satellite and ball save (between the flippers) magnet. Also optos can be flaky sometimes. My DMD would go out and after opening the speaker panel and wiggling wires would come back on. The problem was the connector on the top corner of the DMD controller board, that is mounted right behind the DMD, had fatigued pins and were not making good connection. After replacing the connector, it worked great. This is a 3 pin connector with a black and red wire and the middle pin is not used. Congrats on the great find! I really like my GE.

#3 10 years ago

Check the fuse on the display power board (3/4ASB.)
Check and reseat the connectors on the display controller board behind the DMD.
When you first turn the game on the DMD should flash briefly with the version number of the display software (probably 4.00.) If it doesn't do this and the fuse is good, try a different DMD in the machine.

Common Whitestar problem is battery leakage taking out the RAM and/or ROM and possibly more depending upon how long it's been in there. If the display flashes briefly and goes out and the machine does not go into attract mode, the CPU is not booting. Bad RAM/ROM/traces by the battery/any and all of the above need to be investigated/remedied.

Good luck - hope you got it for a really good price. Replacement W/S boards are not cheap.

viperrwk

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Check the fuse on the display power board (3/4ASB.)
Check and reseat the connectors on the display controller board behind the DMD.
When you first turn the game on the DMD should flash briefly with the version number of the display software (probably 4.00.) If it doesn't do this and the fuse is good, try a different DMD in the machine.
Common Whitestar problem is battery leakage taking out the RAM and/or ROM and possibly more depending upon how long it's been in there. If the display flashes briefly and goes out and the machine does not go into attract mode, the CPU is not booting. Bad RAM/ROM/traces by the battery/any and all of the above need to be investigated/remedied.
Good luck - hope you got it for a really good price. Replacement W/S boards are not cheap.
viperrwk

I got it for $900, so I will have a little spending money to spare in case the board has been leaked on.

#5 10 years ago

Definitely a great price. When dialed in, this is a surprisingly fun game. I am still really enjoying mine.

1 week later
#6 10 years ago

Damn super jealous been looking for one of these for a year now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

4,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 5.00
Cabinet Parts
Gameroom Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/goldeneye-007-blank-dmd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.