hub (resized).jpg
634DEC5E-F564-4FC8-92FB-0A31FBCE0017 (resized).jpeg
DBF5CE05-8434-4AF1-A8EF-75CCB753FC28 (resized).jpeg
CC706BC3-1EEB-420B-83AD-BD02BD358BFC (resized).jpeg
GEDC6793 (resized).JPG
GEDC6781 (resized).JPG
GEDC6780 (resized).JPG
FAB2A3BC-0A2D-4D61-996A-1C1C72FFF699 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MutterFudder.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1386 1 year ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I've got one. Aside from a custom ATX power supply and some new design features on the I/O board and CID, it's a full system under the hood.
I'm going to be modifying mine to play all 5 games from IT, including Golden Tee Home Edition 2020 online via WiFi dongle inside the game. Should be a sweet setup when I'm done.

Think it's going to be as simple as some kind of board swap or more than that?

I'm kind of interested if it can be converted to a Home edition, but the current setup of offline only is a bit of a turnoff.

#1391 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Serious question: What’s so great about online vs offline?
We had a rental house last week with a GT2016 in it and played a bunch. First time I ever played a whole game of GT. It was offline only, so you had to enter initials after the first hole of each game to track scores and whatnot, but it wasn’t a big deal. It seems like all online gets you is a profile with a bit more detail and the ability to save your outfit and custom clubs/balls — AND the ability to pay more money for a whole lot of things (tournaments, alternate clothes, etc).

Yeah, like you noted -- the lifetime stats, custom clubs/balls, different golfer fashion options are the big one. You also have the ability to set up private contests called Invitationals between yourself and other players. I like that because I have friends who play on the other side of the country, and we'd have a standing game or two going every week. That's nice. There are also promotions like mentioned prior.

If you don't care about that stuff, and you just want to play the dang game, you don't need the online at all. Same game for the most part.

2 weeks later
#1439 1 year ago

For what it's worth, I'm speaking with IT about upgrading a recently-picked up Live unit. The price for the current year upgrade is dropping to $99 on 8/1, with a commit to $349 for the upgrade in the fall. That's essentially a 2-update for the price of 1, so I'm guessing the new-to-free updates will be dropping in the same rough timeframe.

3 weeks later
#1466 1 year ago
Quoted from JimB:

How can you configure that in the OS to connect to your local WiFi ? Is there a config in the GUI after you boot into the game? With Ethernet it’s automatically set.

Yes. So long as you have a USB wifi adapter that the game supports, there's UI in the operator menu under Network Settings.

3 weeks later
#1499 1 year ago

Pretty sure they're talking about the ladder mode in Real Time Rivals. It starts with the easier opponents and moves up to John Daly. They added the ladder part with rewards for wins last year, and looks like they're adding to it in 2021.

#1502 1 year ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It’s pretty fun if all your friends are cats.

Hey! It's free clubs, tees, and balls. And Mr. Whiskers likes the American Flag suit I won.

#1506 1 year ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I actually like real time rivals, I was being a smart ass.
Dumb question of the day, do you earn clothing, balls and tees in every mode? Online and offline? Do some modes earn items faster, do all modes earn all items or do some modes earn only clothing for example but not tees or balls?

Off top of my head, you only earn when you check in via card/pin pad, so online games only (both contest and regular 18). Events don't directly impact your stats or earning of items.

You get 1 cosmetic item (clothing, etc):
* Every 5 games
* Every 10 Eagles
* Every 30 Birdies (I think it's 30, but I may be wrong)
* Every Hole in One
* Every Double Eagle

Tees are earned for placing "out of the money" in commercial contests.

Balls, Tees, Clubs and unique cosmetics are earned through Real Time Rivals ladder.

There are also unique cosmetics and putters you can buy through the app and then equip in the game. I don't believe those are earnable in any way outside of direct purchase.

#1513 1 year ago
Quoted from jalpert:

If anyone wants to add me as a friend or shoot me an invite, you are guaranteed to win.
Same as pinside, jalpert.

Sent ya one from Pope Hipster . It’s a long story...

#1517 1 year ago
Quoted from jalpert:

LOL. Got it.
I wonder if there would be any interest in a bracket style tournament?

That'd be fun! I have a few other groups of friends that do a weekly invite with all of us in the same map. Might be fun to do a weekly handicap Pinside group invite!

#1521 1 year ago

Okay, so I'll set up a Pinside Golden Tee invites group, and I'll send out our first invite this Sunday to get folks a chance to see this post and sign up.

We'll do handicaps on and no prizes this time around, so people can see if they want to join or not. Afterwards, we'll let the group determine if they want to play for glory or prizes. I don't really care either way.

If you're interested, please send a GT friend invite to "POPE HIPSTER V" in the GT Caddy app, or DM me your GT name here and I'll add you. Let's see if this gets traction.

Also if anyone wants to play some low stakes cash invites (say, sub $5), you can send them to me at the name above. I don't like to play too rich

#1528 1 year ago
Quoted from Gumby510:

Ok dude is 23 handi fuck that.

Yeah no worries! That’s why I wanted to do handi and go glory or cheap. If I’m being outsized in the weekly tourneys I’ll gladly bow out and let someone else run ‘em. Just figured it’d be fun for us all that have em to use the online for something!

#1536 1 year ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Are you guys getting 140+ on the ball? I can only get 135 if I try really hard. I think that’s keeping my hc down a little- that and the alcohol.

If I try to hit it as hard as I can, I can get it to 143-145.

#1540 1 year ago

Congrats pinden007 on this week's invite win! I didn't send out a contest since Jalpert beat me to it, so rather than duplicate effort, we'll just use jalpert's invite instead.

#1551 1 year ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I didn’t mean to steal your thunder! Just checked a bunch of boxes when I set up an invite.
I’ll defer to you next week.

No worries, I created a group with all the names in here and sent out a second glory contest. Seems like a few folks have asked about a small money contest as well. I'll send our group of 6 a 4 player invite for a $1 (first four to accept get in, in case some folks don't want to).

Group is open, anyone can send invites within the group. Let's see how it goes!

#1563 1 year ago

There are other options, if you know where to look.

Don't suppose you could point someone in a vague direction?
I'd love to add a second nighthawk game (SSB/Powerputt/Bags) to my cabinet if not insanely expensive -- i'd imagine some kind of switcher must be available rather than stacking multiple nighthawks in the cabinet.

#1566 1 year ago

Congrats pinden007 on edging out jalpert on the first dollar invite -- tie score with GTP as the tiebreaker!

New invite sent out.

3 weeks later
#1591 1 year ago
Quoted from Bax1:

What usually goes bad on them? Hard drive?

Drives yes, the green/red board (main boards) can get a little flakey and act up. The CRT monitors are probably also a bit finicky, and they're very difficult to source replacements these days. That said, if the game has a good working order CRT, that might be worth something right there to someone.

As said, they can only go up to complete, which was still my favorite iteration of GT. It's a big step back from the current game though (no clubs, tees, roll/bite/release options, etc) but the game itself is still fun IMO. I'd pay a few hundred and not more if you really wanted it, but that might just be me and nostalgia

#1597 1 year ago

I know it's super backwards, but I wish there were a way to boot Complete on the Live/Home cabinets. There's some great courses in there that just never got carried forward.

#1607 1 year ago

Wait, the update files are already live? Confused face...

#1609 1 year ago

I'm the sucker that sprung for overnight, but I'll know better next year

#1616 1 year ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Is the 2021 update going to 'reset' all of the course records on the HE?

It shouldn't. Or at least, it never did on older versions.

3 weeks later
#1669 1 year ago
Quoted from JimB:

From an old post above. I’m finding that I can’t upgrade my 2018 w/o the $100 online fee? I’m not interested in online so why would it be required?

Seems odd, but I wouldn't put it past them. You can do a 9.99/month online thing instead. So, just think of it as $10 more than the upgrade cost.

#1673 1 year ago

My take:

Baja -- Straightforward, not a ton going on. It's "fine"
Temple -- One of the better gimmick courses in recent memory. I like it, your mileage may vary based on your feelings of GT gimmick courses.
Forest -- Fun, but very difficult. No crazy gimmicks, just well designed holes with interesting layouts.
Coco -- Tropical over/under/through trees shots course. Not bad, not my fave.
Monte -- Most polarizing course of them all. Every hole has like a 100+ft elevation change in it. I think it's super dumb, but a lot of people seem to like it.

4 weeks later
#1783 11 months ago

I mean, if you've done the cleaning, the important part is how well the ball is spinning. If you can hit it and it's spinning without jumping or rattling on a solid hit, the hardware itself is probably fine. Note that you can buy additional spinner/bearings and rollers, if you think something is wrong with those, for much cheaper than a trackball.

Additionally, it's possible your optical sensors are going bad, but that does seem to be a bit a longshot. These are the red boards that sit on the horizontal and vertical axis on the trackball housing. You can test by going in to the operator menu and game controls and see if they're reading well. I believe the max reading in these tests is higher than the "mph" shown in game. You can swap the boards to see if there is a difference (remove them from the wiring and place in the other housing, and plug back in). These are purchaseable separately but might be roughly equivalent to buying a new ball. Also, make sure the optical sensors have some "wiggle" when seated. You should be able to move them up and down a bit when the casing is fully assembled.

The speed measured in game is a relation to how fast the ball is moving. I don't know how you're hitting the ball, but a lot of folks will hit down on the ball hard when trying for a long drive. The "key" to getting the ball moving faster is hitting over/through it. It's not going to be easy to describe in text here, but your goal is to hit really only the top half or so of the exposed ball and push it forward. It's easier to see than describe, so I'm sure if you ask any of the more popular streamers like Mouth or Skipper to explain it when they're on, they'll be able to show you the difference (Skipper I feel does this in response to stream questions once a stream). From there it's just practice in hitting the ball well (assuming all the mechanical stuff above is working well)

#1786 11 months ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

I have a ‘99 GT, and play it quite a bit. I’m curious if anyone knows what year of boards are out there, so I could play other courses w out changes/modifications

GT 99 is first hardware platform. I used to have one and loved it! I had the ROMS for 98, 99, and 2k. If you don't mind a bit of downtime, you can just acquire the ROMs and when you want to switch years, just pull the ROMchips off the board you have and replace them. I want to say it was 4-6 ROMs for each year. Takes about 10 minutes once you get good at it

1 month later
#1906 10 months ago

Its... uh, different.

5 months later
#2077 4 months ago

My latest research tells me 2022 Home Edition will be available in March or April of 2022.

Oof. Figured it'd be late given PGA, but that's later than I thought.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MutterFudder.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside