(Topic ID: 223976)

Golden Arrow - Just bought it, doesn't work.

By Ahiggins

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Ahiggins
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What should I do with it?”

• Try to fix it 19 votes
    95%
  • Try to sell it 1 vote
    5%
  • Try to salvage some components out of it 0 votes

(20 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Whichchangesthis (resized).jpg
Thisthingright? (resized).jpg
IMG_0311 (resized).JPG
IMG_0307 (resized).JPG
IMG_0309 (resized).JPG
IMG_0312 (resized).JPG
IMG_0310 (resized).JPG
IMG_0308 (resized).JPG
IMG_0306 (resized).JPG
Pinball (resized).png
IMG_0290 (resized).JPG
096A6F34-4D72-400D-9ECC-7C438642C4BB (resized).jpeg
2FA8D9FC-BB40-492C-BD66-3B58861B9C50 (resized).jpeg
934AF7EB-B998-442C-8431-EA400D30982D (resized).jpeg
73CC72B6-7C0D-4C8A-9243-CDCBD9B73D06 (resized).jpeg
A1046327-CA9E-4371-82E5-9040080FFB20 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Ahiggins:

So I recently picked up my first machine Golden Arrow. I have always wanted to own a pin for myself and I just finished setting it up and plugging it in last night. Unfortunately, the seller lied saying it was 100% working, but that was not the case. It was covered in dust, inside and out and looks like it hasn't been working in years.
Should I attempt to repair, sell it, or part it out?
It's been impossible to find parts, and I don't want to put a lot of money into it.
Any advice would be great, thanks!
P.S. The transformer is not outputting the correct voltage and several other components seem to be fried.

You should have tested it before buying it if you don't know how to fix it.
It could be anything from a fuse to something much worse. Electrical/mechanical parts should be easy to find.
Where are you located?

#4 5 years ago

Transformers rarely fail.
I have a friend out your way who services games. I'll contact him, and see if he might come out to help you.
He will likely charge you, but I'll have him contact you first. PM me with your contact information.

#11 5 years ago

The coil on the coin door is not needed for home use. It's purpose is to return a coin inserted into the game when it's turned off. You can snip the wires leading to it, and wrap the wire ends with electrical tape. You can get this coil,and just about every other electrical and mechanical part from Pinball Resource (pbresource.com).
If you call there and talk to Steve, tell him you're a newbie. As was mentioned above, he does want part numbers when you order parts.
Is this the same "Golden Arrow" that was listed on eBay recently? The playfield on that one had a tremendous amount of wear.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Is this the same "Golden Arrow" that was listed on eBay recently? The playfield on that one had a tremendous amount of wear.

I guess not. It's still listed.

#19 5 years ago

It's great that the game came with a manual and schematic. The only broken plastic parts that Pinball Resource won't have are the lightshield plastics. They are the flat plastic parts with game specific artwork that cover the triangular lower slingshots and other areas. The pop bumper cap and lane guides are available.
The star cap part number is A-16838 (specify red star). You should get both so that they match. The "100 POINTS WHEN LIT" cap is also available. Here's a link to the page. http://www.pbresource.com/pfbumper.htm
The game is pretty rough cosmetically; even the backglass isn't very good (faded as well), but it's your first pin. Educate yourself, get it working and enjoy it for what it is. Read Clay's repair guide, and you will have a good general idea of how to get started.
I once got a "Golden Arrow" on eBay that was a mess, but it was a diamond in the rough. It had many issues which the newbie might have had difficulty with, but the game came out looking and playing like new. Don't get discouraged. You have help here and check out this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-275-el-doh-rah-no/page/2#post-4559509. Many games have been saved by dedicated guys like him. Your game needs a little work, but it should be
fairly easy to get it playing again. Good luck.

#21 5 years ago

Nice! Didn't know they redid "Golden Arrow" plastics.

#23 5 years ago

Read my post (#11) above. That coil is not needed, but you can get a replacement from Pinball Resource if you want.

#34 5 years ago

As Black_Knight mentioned above, open the backbox and manually click the credit wheel up several notches to add credits. The photo you posted shows the wheel at zero, so if the game isn't jumpered for free-play, it won't start at zero.
And, as jeffc says, lift the playfield, and with the game switched on, manually nudge the motor counter-clockwise. It should rotate 1/3 of a revolution then stop.
The normal condition when the game is switched on is "tilt". Of course you should have checked all the fuses by now (unplug the machine first), and verify their proper value.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

Does the score motor turn on its own if you push it counter-clockwise?

I believe this is the third time this has been asked, but we still don't know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/golden-arrow-just-bought-it-doesn-t-work?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.