0617191739 (resized).jpg
0617191739c (resized).jpg
0617191739a (resized).jpg
0617191739b (resized).jpg
0614191547 (resized).jpg
0614191547a (resized).jpg
7006c00a2ffcf3179c2637627404976f607cefee (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

So lately my Gold Wings has been doing something odd. It was booting up but sometimes the sound wasn't there...or sometimes there would be digits missing from the display. Sometimes I'd even get half the sounds but not the music. Ground mod already done in the bottom. I think I read somewhere else that there's issues with a daughter board that is attached to the mpu. I've already disconnected the reset board. Not sure what I should do next. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

#3 4 years ago

Do the ground mods to the head; I had sound issues till I did just that with my Spring Break, been rock solid since. Sometimes the game would start with no sound, other times no music or with sound but would be distorted.

7006c00a2ffcf3179c2637627404976f607cefee (resized).jpg7006c00a2ffcf3179c2637627404976f607cefee (resized).jpg
#4 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Do the ground mods to the head; I had sound issues till I did just that with my Spring Break, been rock solid since. Sometimes the game would start with no sound, other times no music or with sound but would be distorted.[quoted image]

Awesome I can do that. Thank you sir. What's odd is I checked and two of the boards seem to already have the mod done already. I just need to do the top two. I can't tell where the connection is on the top right though.
0614191547 (resized).jpg0614191547 (resized).jpg0614191547a (resized).jpg0614191547a (resized).jpg0617191739 (resized).jpg0617191739 (resized).jpg0617191739a (resized).jpg0617191739a (resized).jpg0617191739b (resized).jpg0617191739b (resized).jpg0617191739c (resized).jpg0617191739c (resized).jpg

Actually I think I found where I need to put it....pinwiki....ok...gonna try it and see what happens.

#5 4 years ago

Hmmmm...finished doing the mod..still having boot problems. I tried attaching the connectors to different lugs too...does that matter? Any suggestions?

#6 4 years ago

Make sure the pins and connectors are in good shape- If I recall Pinwiki states signals for sound go through the A3 connector through the driver board on route to the sound board. I would unplug the connectors next and clean them good with an eraser though I have have gotten aggressive and used very fine 600 grit emery paper too. Pulling the sound EPROMs carefully and cleaning the legs with an eraser is always good.

Question- Did you ground mod the sound board and power boards to a common location along with the MPU and driver board? You posted a picture of the sound board, but it has no ground wire added to it in the picture.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from tait316:

Hmmmm...finished doing the mod..still having boot problems. I tried attaching the connectors to different lugs too...does that matter? Any suggestions?

Mine all meet in the center and one wire is attached to the lug on the lower right side of the cabinet where the yellow ground strap comes in with the 1/4-20 nut is to tie it all together.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Mine all meet in the center and one wire is attached to the lug on the lower right side of the cabinet where the yellow ground strap comes in with the 1/4-20 nut is to tie it all together.

I did do grounds on all the boards after I had posted the pics. I had tried having them all go to one place and then ran a line to the lower right lug. I'm going to pull all the boards and clean all the connectors next.(Probably should have done that first) I'll post my findings then. Thanks for your help sir.

#9 4 years ago

Just occurred to me; another potential issue could be erratic 5v power, I replaced the pot on the power supply (upper center of the rear board with large heatsink) as it was very erratic. Just touching it would cause the power readings to jump all over, I imagine during game play it was going crazy. Worth attaching a meter to the large gray cap on the MPU board, center top just below the small connector and seeing what you have for voltage.

I have mine set at 5.05V

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_80#Recommended_Repairs_for_the_System_80B_Power_Supply_Board

PBR sells a 500 ohm pot, but it isn't the correct one and I modded my PCB to make it work, was very stable after.

#10 4 years ago

One other item that can cause bizarre sound issues is one of the two rebound switches in the left "danger lane" could be stuck. This will cause the danger sound and music to trigger which overrides everything else. Mine was twisted and making intermittent contact causing all sorts of interesting sound issues.

Not related to display, but sometimes you are dealing with 2 problems instead of 1.

#11 4 years ago

The reset section -within the battery corrosion zone- isn't looking very healthy and needs a rebuild imho. Can u post a close up picture from this area?

For the 500 Ohm pots at the 5V power supply I use these styles

500ohm (resized).jpg500ohm (resized).jpg

They fit like a glove on these powersupplies. Be sure you buy these with the pins in a triangle format, as they are also available with the pins in a inline format.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

One other item that can cause bizarre sound issues is one of the two rebound switches in the left "danger lane" could be stuck. This will cause the danger sound and music to trigger which overrides everything else. Mine was twisted and making intermittent contact causing all sorts of interesting sound issues.
Not related to display, but sometimes you are dealing with 2 problems instead of 1.

I actually had that happen early on with the switch being stuck in the danger lane. That I fixed a while back.

I could try replacing the pot. That's not a bad idea. Tonight after dinner I'm going to pull all the boards and clean all the connectors. Have you put the extra wires in the harness that goes between the two main boards? I put the extra ground in and wondered if anyone had done both.

0619191656 (resized).jpg0619191656 (resized).jpg0619191656a (resized).jpg0619191656a (resized).jpg0619191656b (resized).jpg0619191656b (resized).jpg0619191656c (resized).jpg0619191656c (resized).jpg0619191657 (resized).jpg0619191657 (resized).jpg
#13 4 years ago

Be careful when using the power supply's heatsink as a ground plane. It is barely isolated from the 5V output from the LM338K regulator which is the metal housing. And just a tiny shim isolates this housing from the heatsink. Using the heatsink now as a groundplane creates a potential short. The way GDonovan created a "starground" is the better way to do this. You can also use the yellow ground strap as a common point to ground your boards.

Again, the whole reset area of you CPU board is looking very poor and can be the reason your CPU board is having problems to start properly.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

Be careful when using the power supply's heatsink as a ground plane. It is barely isolated from the 5V output from the LM338K regulator which is the metal housing. And just a tiny shim isolates this housing from the heatsink. Using the heatsink now as a groundplane creates a potential short. The way GDonovan created a "starground" is the better way to do this. You can also use the yellow ground strap as a common point to ground your boards.
Again, the whole reset area of you CPU board is looking very poor and can be the reason your CPU board is having problems to start properly.

That makes sense. I'll move the grounds first before I try anything else. I do have a wire running to the yellow ground strap so I think if I change my setup it may help. I did notice that one of the wires is off the connector on that board. I think that reset board has been disconnected for quite a while now. I think disconnected that in the first week I bought the game. Does the reset board "need" to be plugged in? Still learning I am. Thanks for your help sir.

#15 4 years ago

Ah, no.... I mean the top section (as it is mounted in the backbox) from the CPU board where the old backup battery was mounted before. Right under the power connector. All these components look affected by a leaking battery in the past. This circuit is the reset section: it comprises a undervolt protection and a delay section which allows the 5V voltage to stabilize before the CPU starts to execute the gamesoftware. The connector itself can be affected too.

The reset board you are referring to is better called a watchdog board: it monitors the Interrupt (IRQ) signal which is a sign the CPU board is running properly. If the IRQ signal stalls due to a hangup/crash it will reset the 6502 processor which will try to execute the gamesoftware again from zero.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

1) The aluminum looks to be anodized which is a poor conductor of electricity which is why I didn't use it as a common spot, just asking for trouble. If you were to use it for grounding you would have to grind the coating off first. Better to have it join at a common location with good conductivity and avoid any possible issues with the regulator to boot.

2) From my "star location" you can see one wire vanish behind the MPU board, this one runs down to the bottom right location where the yellow ground strap is so the boards are all tied into the ground circuit.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

1) The aluminum looks to be anodized which is a poor conductor of electricity which is why I didn't use it as a common spot, just asking for trouble. If you were to use it for grounding you would have to grind the coating off first. Better to have it join at a common location with good conductivity and avoid any possible issues with the regulator to boot.
2) From my "star location" you can see one wire vanish behind the MPU board, this one runs down to the bottom right location where the yellow ground strap is so the boards are all tied into the ground circuit.

So I went ahead and tied all the grounds to a lug in the upper right with another going down to the ground strap. I took all the boards out and cleaned the edges. I noticed in your first pic that you did not have top connector near your "star lug" plugged in. Was that just so you could see the pic better or is that connector just for grounds?

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from tait316:

I noticed in your first pic that you did not have top connector near your "star lug" plugged in. Was that just so you could see the pic better or is that connector just for grounds?

Was still working on the unit and had not plugged it back in yet.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Was still working on the unit and had not plugged it back in yet.

Ooooh....not sure what I did....but I just got 6 consecutive boots on the game! I cleaned all the edge connectors and put the grounds where you said....WOOOO...I can play GoldWings again. Thank you for your help sir. And maralb thank you as well. I also figured out I had the game pitched to high....the plastic ramp shot was almost impossible to make. What a difference that is.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from tait316:

Ooooh....not sure what I did....but I just got 6 consecutive boots on the game! I cleaned all the edge connectors and put the grounds where you said....WOOOO...I can play GoldWings again. Thank you for your help sir. And maralb thank you as well. I also figured out I had the game pitched to high....the plastic ramp shot was almost impossible to make. What a difference that is.

My pleasure! Glad to have the opportunity to "pay it forward"

Gary

#21 4 years ago

Well I was wrong....went to start it up this morning and nothing. Man is that frustrating. I guess I should try replacing the pot next?

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from tait316:

Well I was wrong....went to start it up this morning and nothing. Man is that frustrating. I guess I should try replacing the pot next?

I would check the voltage first before replacing the part.

Large cap at the top of the MPU board, you want to see a tick over 5 volts. 5.00-5.10 at most. When the meter clipped on the cap legs tap the cabinet in the location of the 5V supply and see if it jump around.

I was doing some research over Pinwiki and noticed that it states the florescent lamp starter can make some boards angry causing boot issues, try removing the starter (silver can in socket near lamp on right side) to eliminate it as a possibility.

If so you can replace with a 2' foot LED bulb that operates with no starter, thats what I do on all my pins.

6fe629ce2fd0620dbd09fcd233e0af2a1086e3ea (resized).jpg6fe629ce2fd0620dbd09fcd233e0af2a1086e3ea (resized).jpg
#23 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I would check the voltage first before replacing the part.
Large cap at the top of the MPU board, you want to see a tick over 5 volts. 5.00-5.10 at most. When the meter clipped on the cap legs tap the cabinet in the location of the 5V supply and see if it jump around.
I was doing some research over Pinwiki and noticed that it states the florescent lamp starter can make some boards angry causing boot issues, try removing the starter (silver can in socket near lamp on right side) to eliminate it as a possibility.
If so you can replace with a 2' foot LED bulb that operates with no starter, thats what I do on all my pins.[quoted image]

Great ideas sir. Thank you. I will try that next. So right before I left for work I tried turning it on again....and booted on 1st try...which got me thinking...the remote battery is present to keep scores but does it interfere with the booting? I did not change the battery when I got it and was thinking of putting a better holder in there.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from tait316:

Great ideas sir. Thank you. I will try that next. So right before I left for work I tried turning it on again....and booted on 1st try...which got me thinking...the remote battery is present to keep scores but does it interfere with the booting? I did not change the battery when I got it and was thinking of putting a better holder in there.

It should not interfere with booting, far as I know it just keeps you from losing top scores, credits and some bonus features.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

It should not interfere with booting, far as I know it just keeps you from losing top scores, credits and some bonus features.

Ok cool. Ill try disconnecting that lamp starter when I get home. Thanks for the tip sir.

#26 4 years ago

If you are good at desoldering/soldering, you can eliminate the need for batteries with NVRAM. https://www.pinitech.com/products/5101_nvram.php

1 week later
#27 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

If you are good at desoldering/soldering, you can eliminate the need for batteries with NVRAM. https://www.pinitech.com/products/5101_nvram.php

I think I will definitely do this in the future.

So I have an update, I bought a new power supply from Gulf Pinball and dropped it in my machine. It solved a few issues. I'm getting it to boot 75 percent of the time now. This morning the machine was ice cold and I walked up and turned it on and it started on the first try. I also used my multimeter to check for continuity between the solder points on my board and the lug that I ran the grounds to. So I'm still not sure why there are occasional misboots but as long as I get it up with only a few power ons I'll be happy. Thank you everyone for all your help and all the good tips/tricks.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from tait316:

I'm still not sure why there are occasional misboots but as long as I get it up with only a few power ons I'll be happy.

How does the misboot happen? Is it attempting to boot and then resetting?

Did you try flexing the piggyback daughterboard on the MPU? Very well known point of failure on those boards. Just pressing on it a bit in various places and wiggling it a little bit should help identify if that may be the issue or part of the issue. Cold solder joints on that board affect the ROM from being read correctly which can cause a lot of issues. You could try flexing the board some once the game does boot successfully. If it resets then there's probably a cold solder joint there.

If you do happen to have daughterboard issues or want to rule that out, I sell a plug-and-play fix for that (no soldering).
https://www.pinitech.com/products/gottlieb_piggydeux.php

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Did you try flexing the piggyback daughterboard on the MPU? Very well known point of failure on those boards. Just pressing on it a bit in various places and wiggling it a little bit should help identify if that may be the issue or part of the issue. Cold solder joints on that board affect the ROM from being read correctly which can cause a lot of issues. You could try flexing the board some once the game does boot successfully. If it resets then there's probably a cold solder joint there.
If you do happen to have daughterboard issues or want to rule that out, I sell a plug-and-play fix for that (no soldering).

Actually I have done that in the past...I think I will most likely order that part...currently I have the reset board disconnected..

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

I found the sweet spot on my old original daughterboard that will allow me to boot the game and it will freeze the game once I let go. Time for me to get one of those for my Gold Wings along with more NVRAM, which was easy enough to add into this game (yellow box) with some de/soldering!! 80B (resized).jpg80B (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gold-wings-intermittent-start-up-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.