Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by JordanB
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I've got a Gold Wings that has undergone MANY upgrades, such as the additional grounds, multiple "power good" LEDs, and even the ground upgrade for the power supply.

I also found several zener diodes bad that prevented several switches from working.

EVERYTHING is working great now, EXCEPT when the game starts, the balls kicks out to start play, but the ball just barely makes it into the shooter lane.

And then when you drain the ball, the next ball doesn't make it into the shooter lane.

I can hear it kick the ball, it just doesn't have enough OOMPH to make it the whole way.

So, question is... what is the most probably cause for this?

Something misaligned?
Coil needs replaced?
Switch needs adjysted?
Other?

#2 10 years ago

I had this problem on my em awhile back. I cleaned and polished the plunger and replaced the coil sleeve and the problem went away.

#3 10 years ago

The plunger isn't the problem.

The machine is having a difficult time getting the ball to the plunger. I can hear it trying to kick a ball out to the shooter lane, but the ball just barely makes it out, or doesn't come out at all.

#4 10 years ago

Well, then I'd have to guess that there is an alignment problem with the kicker and the trough. The ball must not be sitting in line with the kicker, or the kicker is making the ball bounce in the trough instead of making a smooth transition to the shooter lane.

#5 10 years ago

Take the instruction cover off and watch what the ball does. It could be hitting the ball at an angle and making it rattle side to side which would slow it down enough to where it barely makes it to the plunger. Another cause would be the kicker hits the ball up making it hop, also slowing down momentum. I've seen both of these things and a little tweaking or replacing worn parts took care of them.

Steve

#6 10 years ago

Excellent, never even thought to just remove the instruction card and use the little window. Duh!
I was fully prepared to remove the entire apron to get at it.

#7 10 years ago

I don't think the instruction card will have a window behind it, just a 1" hole. You'll have to remove the 2 screws, then remove the instruction card holder/cover to get a good look at it.

Steve

Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Excellent, never even thought to just remove the instruction card and use the little window. Duh!
I was fully prepared to remove the entire apron to get at it.

#8 10 years ago

Just remembered, gold Wings is a 2 ball multi-ball game. There should be a ball release coil, perhaps it's hanging up on the shaft.

Steve

#9 10 years ago

Remove the Apron and watch what the ball is doing. That was a PITA on my Gold Wings too. Make sure to note how the one way gate is installed when you remove the apron and ensure it is installed correctly when you put the apron back on,

4 weeks later
#10 10 years ago

I took the apron off.

There is no solenoid that pops the ball out, but there is a solenoid that opens the channel, and the ball is fed by gravity to the shooter lane.

I've lowered the angle of the playfield, and that seemed to help a bit, but I'm still not convinced it will work 100% yet.

Any other ideas?

#11 10 years ago

I had this problem many times. Problem is (unnecessarily !!! ) lubricate of ball RELEASE sys (" solenoid
that opens the channel" to shooter lane )
Just disassemble and clean it ( take care HOW to assemble it back ))

Greetings from Croatia

#12 10 years ago

The solenoid and assembly works as it should. I can see it open and close on command. When the solenoid opens the gate, the ball just sits there, or very slowly rolls to the shooter lane. Sometimes the solenoid snaps shut before the ball has a chance to get past the gate.

#13 10 years ago

Ok, now I understand what's a problem Maybe is some "dents"on metal (ball's "storage line" )

(Just asking... left-right level is ok ? )

#14 10 years ago

Its a speck off-level right/left, but not by much.

That's my next step is relevelling it that way.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from cro_pinman:

Ok, now I understand what's a problem Maybe is some "dents"on metal (ball's "storage line" )
(Just asking... left-right level is ok ? )

I just encountered this exact problem on my Hollywood Heat... I sanded the very slight "dent" on the lower metal guide in the trough smooth, and now it works every time.

#16 10 years ago

I even put a few washer under the switch to lower it a little to keep some resistance off the ball.

I'll check the trough for rough spots or dents as well.

#18 10 years ago

Remove the apron and watch for why it doesn't work. I'm telling you that if it just sits there, you have a dent in your bottom metal guide. The "gate" only opens for about 2 seconds, then closes and does NOT attempt to reopen.

#19 10 years ago

That is correct, there is no solenoid to feed the ball, its just gravity feed. There is a Hot Shots sitting right next to it with the exact same feed system, and it works just fine.

I'll go over it with a fine tooth comb and check for dents or ANYTHING that's causing it hang up.

2 years later
#20 7 years ago

I'm late to the party here, but am seeing the same thing on a Gottlieb Force II. Seems like the gravity-fed ball feed is a pretty crap design. I'll inspect mine for physical issues preventing the ball from rolling into the shooter lane.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gold-wings-hard-time-popping-a-ball-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.