(Topic ID: 261050)

Gold Wings blows fuse after popping ball into the lane.

By Yeastlord

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200704_115624 (resized).jpg
20200704_121131 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yeastlord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I've got a Gold Wings and after starting a game it will pop one ball into the lane before blowing fuse F11. I tested the resistance on the solenoid and it looks good. I spent a bunch of time poking around and couldn't find anything obvious. Anyone have any ideas on where to look next? Is it possible that even though the solenoid tests ok it could still be bad and blowing the fuse?
Thanks in advance for the help!

2 months later
#3 4 years ago

The manual says that it's the Ball Release, which I assume is the solenoid that drops the ball into the trough. I had a new solenoid so I swapped it in and I still have the same failure. I checked the leaf switches and they aren't stuck shut. Any other ideas?

1 week later
#4 4 years ago

UPDATE - I was getting way out of bounds readings on the remote 2N5879 transistor by the ball release so I replaced it. Now the fuse blows as soon as the game turns on. This game hates me.

2 months later
#5 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Did you look in the manual and see what fuse F11 is for?Solenoids very seldom ever go bad unless it’s fried/burnt.On that shooter lane switch is there a diode on that switch?

F11 is for the solenoid that pops the ball into the trough. It doesn't appear to have a diode on it. I checked that the switch isn't stuck on or anything like that. It seems OK.

Any other thoughts?

1 year later
#7 2 years ago

It's been a while but now I've got the time to really dig into this monster. So the resistance on the solenoid was super low (.6) so I replaced it and it's happy. The issue now is that switch 46 stays open after the ball is popped into the lane and it still blows fuse F11. I've been going through the schematics - and I'm definitely an amateur - but I haven't found a reference that tells me what switch 46 is. I know approximately that it's right by the solenoid I just replaced. Is it the bottle cap right behind it?

-Thanks everyone

1 month later
#9 2 years ago

More info - what appears to be happening is that the ball release solenoid is firing and locking on until the fuse blows. I changed out the solenoid with a new one (with a diode). Made no difference. Went over the driver board and metered all of the transistors and resistors. Everything was within tolerance. Cleaned all of the edge connectors.
Gave everything a visual inspection and didn't see any issues.

Anyone have an idea of where to look next? Thanks and Happy New Year!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Yeastlord.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gold-wings-blows-fuse-after-popping-ball-into-the-lane?tu=Yeastlord and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.