Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sys80_clock.jpg
pinball scope.jpg
MPU Pic.jpg
Z3 P6.jpg
sys80 reset.jpg
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

Here's what your clock should look like... from Sys80 Service Manual

sys80_clock.jpgsys80_clock.jpg

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from cro_pinman:

on Z3 - pin 6 have to be much higher freq. - aprox. 3,6 MHz
( and AFTER that divided by 4 with Z2 )

Z3 - pin 6 about 3,6MHz and at Z2 - pin 9 about 900 kHz

#53 10 years ago

Heh, I prepaired answer at "page 1".... woz, yours "pictures" are much better

#54 10 years ago

Looking at the 7474N CHIP.... On it is an EZ.. If you look at it as I was.. from the right side of the box.... EZ is a Z3 lol.... I know... Im new at this.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from woz:

Here's what your clock should look like... from Sys80 Service Manual

sys80_clock.jpg 57 KB

So a signal of 0.28us @ 5V is what I should find on my o-scope at Pin 6 on Z3, or ~900khz on pin 9 of Z2.

1 cycle per 0.28us = 4 cycle per 1.12us

The lowest time base my little scope will go is 1us

#56 10 years ago

On top of that, My Oscilloscope is only the size of a credit card, Its useful to diagnose most things. I may have to pull my Heathkit IO-12 out.... now THAT is technology.

#57 10 years ago

cro_pinman

Your sure getting around on these borads. Id say, your on every topic I read. lol

#58 10 years ago

Im pretty sure that Z3 is done, Im going to pick up a new 7404 and replace it tomorrow. Im pretty much going to swap out Z3 the Crystal, and 3 resistors... Might as well while I am at it right? the frequency going into Pin 1 is not clean, so im going to do the Xtal too.

#59 10 years ago

Yes, it's logical to change Z3.... but BEFORE, just check +5V on Z3 & Z2 ( literally ON pin 7, and vs 14 )

#60 10 years ago

I swapped out Z3 as well as the crystal.. Same thing. The voltage has been checked, but I will double check everything again inthe AM. Thank you.

2 weeks later
#61 10 years ago

The voltages are okay, This weekend... More testing has to happen.

#62 10 years ago

Oh man...looks like it's my turn to have my work cut out for me. Maaaaybe I'll find another sys 80b mpu in good working order to try out. But I'm stubborn and cheap so we shall see. Reading this thread kinda bums me out that you sold it to me. I feel like you were so close.

#63 10 years ago

Just single "little" notice about Z3.... it MUST be 7404, not (maybe ) "handy" 74LS04 !!!

#64 10 years ago

That's right cro, timing is everything with that 7404.

Steve

#65 10 years ago

Yes..."first time" I was surprised....a LOT )

1 week later
#66 10 years ago

I take it you eventually gave up on the game since it appears I purchased this mess a few days ago I found a few problems, the driver board had the ground mod hooked to the +5VDC, this was pulling down the logic voltage when the driver board was plugged in, surprisingly it didn't blow the regulator or fuse. I also discovered there was 11 broken traces on the component side of the circuit board under the piggyback board (6 data line, 3 address lines and both CS lines weren't getting to the EPROM). After connecting the broken traces the game booted perfectly, but no sound! Still haven't figured out the sound issue, I have replaced both CPUs and put sockets on the board. I also checked every IC to make sure no inputs or outputs were shorted, this can be done by removing the board and placing your DMM on diode setting, attach the red lead to the logic ground and then use the black lead to test each pin (not the ground or +5VDC) you should get a reading between 0.1 - 0.7, but if it's shorted check to be sure it's not intentionally tied to ground or +5VDC, as well make sure it's an output and not an input or you might be changing the wrong IC.

Looks like one or more of the sound board EPROMs are most likely at fault since all the circuitry seems to check out.

Those red flash lamps covers are sure melted in the back of the playfield. Too bad the top of the head has some water damage.

Wish me luck.

#67 10 years ago

Good luck Evan. I'm glad I didn't mess with it much and left it to you!

You can't even see the top of the head, and this is Goldwings we're talking about here, lets not get crazy! That's what happens when cabinets are built with pressboard.

Come by anytime to help me with my Jungle Lord woes. I'll buy the beer.

#68 10 years ago

Good work !!!
There was lot of problems,piggyback work isn't easy.
After all I have no doubt in "happy end" for this pinball )

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gold-wings-80b-new-to-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.