Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 4.56.27 AM (resized).png
20220812_190601 (resized).jpg
20220705_202525 (resized).jpg
29052B98-ECF9-4D7F-B603-20FE70909E01 (resized).jpeg
thumbnail_IMG_2747 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2739 (resized).jpg
EBF3232E-D108-4C58-B9D7-8F87A7A32AC2 (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

I started to have the gold powder coat come off on my side armor on my Halloween CE. I just want to get an idea on how much of an issue it is.

Please put what number you are and pics of possible. I am #481 and mine started rubbing off around 55 plays. I clear coated it with 2k max clear coat.

I am not bashing spooky at all, I love the pin as do my wife and kids. It’s just frustrating that whoever did the powder coating for them screwed up.

EBF3232E-D108-4C58-B9D7-8F87A7A32AC2 (resized).pngEBF3232E-D108-4C58-B9D7-8F87A7A32AC2 (resized).png
#2 1 year ago

#83 and also have black discoloration on the lockdown bar, and a little on the side rails. Bought a new lockdown bar from Spooky but would like to see them step up for all of us having the same issues.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from jk2171:

#83 and also have black discoloration on the lockdown bar, and a little on the side rails. Bought a new lockdown bar from Spooky but would like to see them step up for all of us having the same issues.

I would clear coat it to be safe.

#4 1 year ago

With a quick Google search, a powdercoating forum thread comes up with this quote (from 2009): "...all the veins need a clear coat for outdoor use. If its for indoor use and it isn't touched or handled regularly you can get away with out clear."

While my ACNC still looks great, my used AMH came with worn vein, and RZ looks susceptible.

Sounds like vein coating may not be ideal for pinball, but hopefully some clear coat solution works, as I really like the look/feel of it, particularly the heavy vein on ACNC.

#5 1 year ago
thumbnail_IMG_2739 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_2739 (resized).jpg
#6 1 year ago
thumbnail_IMG_2747 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_2747 (resized).jpg
#7 1 year ago

Hobbit looks nice. Does Spooky do the work in house or use an outside contractor?

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

With a quick Google search, a powdercoating forum thread comes up with this quote (from 2009): "...all the veins need a clear coat for outdoor use. If its for indoor use and it isn't touched or handled regularly you can get away with out clear."
While my ACNC still looks great, my used AMH came with worn vein, and RZ looks susceptible.
Sounds like vein coating may not be ideal for pinball, but hopefully some clear coat solution works, as I really like the look/feel of it, particularly the heavy vein on ACNC.

So they are saying as long as you don’t play it and don’t touch it it will be ok. Wow. I didn’t buy it to look at as I do with all my pins I have bought and owned. Whoever was contracted should either refund Spookys money or make it right for us who are having issues.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

Hobbit looks nice. Does Spooky do the work in house or use an outside contractor?

Most likely contracted out.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

So they are saying as long as you don’t play it and don’t touch it it will be ok. Wow. I didn’t buy it to look at as I do with all my pins I have bought and owned. Whoever was contracted should either refund Spookys money or make it right for us who are having issues.

What I quoted wasn't related to pinball, but may explain why we're seeing issues.

Clear coat these days also isn't what it was, so perhaps taking some time to figure out, but Spooky is aware and trying to address it.

#11 1 year ago

Thanks. Was this in the latest run of games?
I have a few friends getting the game soon.

#12 1 year ago

It looks like they sprayed clear on the rails, but vein powder coat requires a clear powder. Their powder coater or spooky should stand behind the issue. Fingers crossed, as I have always loved spooky, but this is a manufacturing fault.

#13 1 year ago

I would clear coat it to be safe.

Agreed.

Do you ask a body shop for time in a booth or have access to one?

I'm still waffling how to safely apply spraymax 2k on my homebrew playfield. That stuff is pretty bad for your lungs and generally any exposed mucus membrane.

#14 1 year ago

I’m expecting my #513 for next week delivery and will certainly keep an eye out for issues. Fingers crossed.

#15 1 year ago

Spook will send you new trim if you email them. My Ultraman lockdown bar had issues after 60 plays.

29052B98-ECF9-4D7F-B603-20FE70909E01 (resized).jpeg29052B98-ECF9-4D7F-B603-20FE70909E01 (resized).jpeg
#16 1 year ago

Spooky let me know last week that they are trying a new clear coat over the gold powder-coating and that they'll be shipping me a new set of rails and a lockdown bar.

Waiting impatiently.

2 months later
#17 1 year ago

Don't feel bad I got my Halloween today July 5th and set it up. I noticed the display looked as if someone hits it with a ball of some sort and the back of the machine was gouged from the factory.

To top it all off I got the start button and notice my right flipper isn't working and then 10 seconds later the machine starts smoking. I mean alot of smoke. So I now in the menu have 8 solenoids that aren't working. After paying 9k plus $495.00 shipping I want perfection.

Can't even pay the damn thing. Anyone have an idea as to what may have happened? Oh yea also when I went to slide the playfield back into the machine and it touched the huge wire loom covered in black coming from the backbox the display reset. I'm so bummed out. I hope Spookyb takes care of this for me

20220705_202525 (resized).jpg20220705_202525 (resized).jpg
#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrtattooz:

Don't feel bad I got my Halloween today July 5th and set it up. I noticed the display looked as if someone hits it with a ball of some sort and the back of the machine was gouged from the factory.
To top it all off I got the start button and notice my right flipper isn't working and then 10 seconds later the machine starts smoking. I mean alot of smoke. So I now in the menu have 8 solenoids that aren't working. After paying 9k plus $495.00 shipping I want perfection.
Can't even pay the damn thing. Anyone have an idea as to what may have happened? Oh yea also when I went to slide the playfield back into the machine and it touched the huge wire loom covered in black coming from the backbox the display reset. I'm so bummed out. I hope Spookyb takes care of this for me
[quoted image]

So far it seems that spooky does the right thing and takes care of their customers. I’ve had a few issues with UM and their stepping up and taking care of it.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from V8haha:

So far it seems that spooky does the right thing and takes care of their customers. I’ve had a few issues with UM and their stepping up and taking care of it.

Yes I just spoke with AJ at Spooky Pinball and he was super amazing!!!!!! He is taking care of my issues and going above and beyond what I expected. That's the best customer service I've ever had. And that thing on the screen was just moisture lmao. It's gone now.

#20 1 year ago

I am sure they will make it right like others on here ,just email or call

1 month later
#21 1 year ago

I just got Halloween CE yesterday and all was well. Went to play today and I'm being this screen. Can anyone help. I'm beyond frustrated with this company. My first machine delivered on July 5th started smoking and couldn't be fixed. So I just received this new one yesterday and played 4 games last night and 2 today. Went to turn it on to play again and this screen pops up. Have no idea why and how to make it go away.

20220812_190601 (resized).jpg20220812_190601 (resized).jpg
#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrtattooz:

I just got Halloween CE yesterday and all was well. Went to play today and I'm being this screen. Can anyone help. I'm beyond frustrated with this company. My first machine delivered on July 5th started smoking and couldn't be fixed. So I just received this new one yesterday and played 4 games last night and 2 today. Went to turn it on to play again and this screen pops up. Have no idea why and how to make it go away.
[quoted image]

You may want to repost on the Halloween Owner's thread - a ton of traffic and Spooky resides... you should find quick response there.

1 month later
#23 1 year ago

I force a hand wash for anyone playing... the naturally oily/sweaty seem to react with the coating.

Starting to happen with ours now (about 8 months in) - needs a save feature like on p3 for long games so I can make people wash their hands again when they get sweaty... or maybe TEC coolers to keep hands cool on the lock bar lol.

I'd recommend anyone getting this shipped nib to strip the armor off the game and use spraymax 2k to clear.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I force a hand wash for anyone playing... the naturally oily/sweaty seem to react with the coating.
Starting to happen with ours now (about 8 months in) - needs a save feature like on p3 for long games so I can make people wash their hands again when they get sweaty... or maybe TEC coolers to keep hands cool on the lock bar lol.
I'd recommend anyone getting this shipped nib to strip the armor off the game and use spraymax 2k to clear.

My friends getting ready to play mine

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 4.56.27 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-22 at 4.56.27 AM (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hastings, MN
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Woodinville, WA
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 210.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gold-powder-coat-issues-with-halloween-ce?hl=theadicts77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.