(Topic ID: 64071)

Gold Plating Lockdown Bars and Rails? Which plating to use?

By Gundam_Pilot_

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by zizzlemeplease
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

#1 8 years ago

Hey guys, I am looking to get some stuff plated here locally to see how it would fare off. I am trying to figure out what would give me the best finish for things like some of the "Brass / Gold" finishes you see on the games like Addams Family Gold. Or even something off of some of the IJ, Theatre restores I have seen. I have seen things like Trivalent Yellow out there, but I don't know if that will give me the finish I want. Suggestions?

#2 8 years ago

If you want it to look like gold the only way you can go is brass. If you want a metallic gold you go with powder coating. Addams family gold and LOTR LE are brass.

#3 8 years ago

I know that I would never use a chrome or brass plating again. The oil from your hands will cause it to tarnish unless you play with gloves on. I've had it happen with both and they were done by a high quality plater most everyone here uses.
I do not know about the other surface treatments though. I'm sure someone on the site has had experience with them.
And one of the best experts is Pinchroma. He does high quality powder plating.

#4 8 years ago

Powder coating doesn't tarnish or wear away (well good powder doesn't) but it doesn't look like brass.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I know that I would never use a chrome or brass plating again. The oil from your hands will cause it to tarnish unless you play with gloves on. I've had it happen with both and they were done by a high quality plater most everyone here uses.I do not know about the other surface treatments though. I'm sure someone on the site has had experience with them.And one of the best experts is Pinchroma. He does high quality powder plating.

Agreed...the LOTR LE at PHOF I visited a month ago the brass plating was gone where the hands are on the rails. Rest of it was fine....did look bad...IMO

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I know that I would never use a chrome or brass plating again. The oil from your hands will cause it to tarnish unless you play with gloves on. I've had it happen with both and they were done by a high quality plater most everyone here uses.
I do not know about the other surface treatments though. I'm sure someone on the site has had experience with them.
And one of the best experts is Pinchroma. He does high quality powder plating.

My understanding is that brass plated parts need to be clearcoated or they will tarnish. On my LOTR, it seems like the lockdown bar wasn't coated very well on the ends, and I do have some tarnish there. On the top, where your palms sit, it still looks great, though. I was told the plating work on mine was done by Mike Chestnut.

Along those lines, I have wondered if there is anything I can do to clean up the ends of my lockdown and touch up the clearcoat.

#7 8 years ago

I do real 24 carat gold plating for a long time now. As it is real gold you will not have any issues with getting dirty or black surface. It looks amazing! I will have some samples on the Expo in Chicago.

For the one who don't know me - I'm Mirco from Germany, reproducing playfields for example for AFM, MM, STTNG, WH20, FH, TZ,...

You will find some pictures on my website - sorry for the bad layout - we are working on a new version. The pricing would be the following in US$ including shipping:

Lockbars - glued together, so no welding points

Normal Body polished - chrome finish 125$
Normal Body polished real 24 carat gold plated 145$

Wide Body
Wide Body polished - chrome finish 145$
Wide Body polished real 24 carat gold plated 165$

WPC/WPC 95 Siderails polished - chrome finish 85$
WPC/WPC 95 Siderails polished 24 carat gold plated 240$

Complete Set of WMS legs real 24 carat gold plated 240$
Complete Set of Stern legs real 24 carat gold plated 250$

BB hings and Stern guard siderails are also available in gold, please email for availability and pricing.

Regards,
Mirco

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

My understanding is that brass plated parts need to be clearcoated or they will tarnish. On my LOTR, it seems like the lockdown bar wasn't coated very well on the ends, and I do have some tarnish there. On the top, where your palms sit, it still looks great, though. I was told the plating work on mine was done by Mike Chestnut.
Along those lines, I have wondered if there is anything I can do to clean up the ends of my lockdown and touch up the clearcoat.

All of the chrome and brass plated stuff is (or should have been) clearcoated. Its part of the process after plating and polishing. Mine was, and did not last.
The gentleman posting about 24k gold plating probably has a product that will hold up since gold does not tarnish. I wish I had the funds to find out, but I'm starting to find out that you never get the money back out of the cost of expensive mods like this unless your game had totally junk legs, siderails and lockdown bars to begin with and you had to replace them. I wish I could go to expo however to see his product. Hopefully someone will buy it and give us a report next year.

7 months later
#9 7 years ago

Don't know if anyone followed up on this elsewhere, or went to expo.

If no one has reported back, I should be able to post up within the near future. I've ordered both the Gold and Chrome, legs, siderails & lock down bars.... I'm restoring 2 container pins which needed replacing so all good to spend a few extra dollars on something that will improve the restoration.

The gold plating machine is broken though at the moment, been told it's a few weeks from being fixed. As soon as I have them I'll post up some photos for everyone to see.

#10 7 years ago

you can thinly copper plate them yourself at home without electricity, for pennies with pennies, will look very goldish if you keep the solution weak and-or exposure time short. clearcoating probably a good idea, its very thin plating.
search the "I want gold balls" thread, follow the recipe and do a test on something similar to see if you like the look.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside