Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jake35
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C85FA083-2418-431C-9406-8C711BFE124D (resized).jpeg
    A493FACF-E895-4850-A0E7-43CD36DC9412 (resized).jpeg
    3C1345EB-750D-4241-A5BC-8033EB9D2D6F (resized).jpeg
    CE316556-CA70-496A-8FA1-8DF68A22D3C7 (resized).jpeg
    7CF5A921-CF1C-432B-9A44-B9D1B5E41C0C (resized).jpeg
    FDCA9F18-A69B-4331-AB78-C8CA13A6FA2B (resized).jpeg
    A4D7DB35-D35E-4CA1-9CE3-B2ADEE5D6067 (resized).jpeg
    image-15 (resized).jpg
    BA4D7BB5-0045-441C-BFE6-36A2091AE0C8 (resized).jpeg
    20200627_122325 (resized).jpg
    2D109A6F-3FD7-444F-ACE9-E1D67B368FBE (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Haymaker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 3 years ago

Are these Titanium Nitride coated? I have been considering TiN coating pinballs for a number of years but I haven't been able to think of a good way to get complete coverage without a weird transition somewhere

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

If this indeed is titanium nitride coating, then I’d assume you would get some added benefits like reduced ball wear and less ball friction to name a few.

I'm willing to bet anything that its TiN coated. In theory you should get some benefits due to the durability and slickness of the coating, however in a pinball application I bet the main benefit (besides looks) will be resistance to rusting. Certainly you won't have to worry about the coating chipping off as thats just not how TiN works. Its phsyically bonded to the metal at the molecular level so even if the coating wears off it doesn't come off in flakes. I do these types of coatings for a living. Maybe i'll bring a few balls into work and give them a try for myself.

Another pinball piece I want to do is leg bolts.

For anyone wondering how these will hold up, have no worries. This coatings normal application is much much more heavy duty than anything a pinball can throw at it. For an example, a common thing would be carbide cutting tools. If it can make carbide last longer, a pinball won't touch it. It won't have much effect on dings and divots that will develop, so don't expect your balls to last forever, but they will easily last at least as long as a normal ball but with the great gold color

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Is that done with Vapor Deposition?

Yes. Plasma vapor deposition to be exact.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I bet the line around the ball could be almost eliminated during the coating process. Maybe a 3 pointed ball holder (needle sharp touching the ball).

I'm not so sure, the piece needs to be very secure when its inside the machine being coated. If it falls off then it can be a big problem. Even with your idea you'd still have 3 little marks were the ball was resting on the tiny points, and possibly 3 little discoloration marks as well. If it worked though it might be a decent improvement. You also have to take into consideration that you'd need multiple custom made fixtures to hold them, which wouldn't be cheap and might be hard to get a return on your investment.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I don’t think your talking about the same type of ball being discussed here if you got it years ago.

It could be. Theres no reason somebody else couldn't have been TiN coating pinballs before back alley creations started doing it here. Like I mentioned, I'd been considering it for many years now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Haymaker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gold-ball-carbon-steel-cointaker?tu=Haymaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.