Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by theke
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-128.jpg
    image-339.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I am in San Francisco working for a couple weeks and have the next two days off. I have visited the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas several times and have donated more quarters to the cause than I care to admit to...

I am excited to visit the Bay Area museum. Is this a true museum with a few games to sample or is it a full blown must see destination with very rare old games along the new to see & play?

Any other pin places I need to visit in the Bay Area while I'm here.

Looking forward to my stay, I already stamped my initials on a local SM with my all time best score of 269m.

Thanks in advance...

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from theke:

I am excited to visit the Bay Area museum. Is this a true museum with a few games to sample or is it a full blown must see destination with very rare old games along the new to see & play?

While not nearly as large as PHOF, like PHOF, you will find most of the latest Sterns at the entrance, and games from all eras after that.

The newest Sterns are pay to play and all proceeds go towards the museum. They do not require paid admission. The rest of the machines (over 100, I think) require admission but are on free play.

-Mark

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from theke:

Any other pin places I need to visit in the Bay Area while I'm here.

I'll let the locals chime in first as to specific favorites, but be sure to check out Pinball Map:
    http://pinballmap.com/bayarea

If you haven't already, download the Pinball Map app, free for Android and iOS.

-Mark

#4 10 years ago

Pinball map app...sweet I'll check it out.

#5 10 years ago

Theke, pinball map will steer you well. If you want, you can drop in on league on Wednesday night at Free Gold Watch. Lots of great spots to play here. Where did you put up that SM score? Metreon?

#6 10 years ago

Genex,

I know that's not a huge score, but for me it was a kick a$$ game. I played it at the Tanforan theaters by the airport.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#7 10 years ago

Was just in san fran for a week. Definately check out the antique coin op museum @ the pier by fishermans wharf, not alot of pins but some cool old coin op stuff. Pacific Pinball museum. we went on a sat and lots of kids running around for birthday parties, alot of broken games!!. couple of the rooms were so tight you could not get a good game in (POTH) for example. they do have alot of old titles. be careful you dont end up in oakland, its pretty bad when down town has graffitti everywhere.
    Locator app is a plus out there.
    JT

#8 10 years ago

^^^ sure there are bad parts of Oakland but there are great parts too. Check out the legionnaires saloon, they had last time I was there MET pro, MB with color and, DM, SS, and I want to say one more I can't remember. High life pizza is a great spot too, they had AFM, BSD, FT, ST PRO and a bunch more last time I was there.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

sure there are bad parts of Oakland but there are great parts too. Check out the legionnaires saloon...

Don't forget the Radio bar. Oakland is no different than any other big city. You just have to be aware of where you are in the city and what time it is. The graffiti won't hurt you.

#10 10 years ago

What's over at radio? Have not checked it out yet.

#11 10 years ago

Will be in the Bay area in August with family,so I am interested in the places to go also. Really looking to play WOZ,so I'll see if they if they have one laying around,lol

#12 10 years ago

What's over at radio? Have not checked it out yet.

ST pro. Make sure to order a beverage and tip your bartender.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jamaster10:

Was just in san fran for a week. Definately check out the antique coin op museum @ the pier by fishermans wharf, not alot of pins but some cool old coin op stuff.

Musée Mécanique

http://www.museemecaniquesf.com/

They have a bunch of cool old stuff, plus you get to see a WMS Indiana Jones with the worst playfield wear I have ever seen on a modern game. I think they had a POTC, WMS Indy and a TAF when I was there last.

#14 10 years ago

Was at the PPM this past week. The EMs were generally in better shape than the SS machines with most having new rubbers, balls and clean playfields. Many of the SS machines had credit dots, bad rubbers (shooter rod on Cyclone plinking the ball on launch for example) lights out or other problems. The SS machines were a bit of a disappointment IMHO especially compared to the EMs.

All the new sterns in the front played fine except for Metallica which was having a ball trough problem.

viperrwk

#15 10 years ago

Agree; I was there this weekend. The SS games need some love, but that's probably because they get a lot of use, more than the EM games. I would love to help get those machines cleaned up! They all mechanically played pretty well, they just need bulbs, rubber and a good PF scrub.

The EMs were beautiful, though. Some amazing history there.

Marc

#16 10 years ago

Just checked out where to play on Pinball Map and a place by Haight-Ashbury called Free Gold Watch.
    They have a lot of the top Pins(around 30) including a WOZ! I'll be staying in Union Square,so it's a no brainer at this point. Flipside is that area can be a little dicey at night,but this place is only open till 5-6pm anyway.

#17 10 years ago

Thanks for all of the info, I just finished my briefing at work...I'm off to find Bay Area pinball to play!

#18 10 years ago

Yeah if you all have questions about the condition of machines feel free to ask. Legionnaire and Hi Life in Oakland are both amazing as is Free Gold Watch. We play a lot of location pinball here and a lot of folks (like me) aren't as hard core about having to have machines that are perfect (although of course, I'd rather have a machine that's in amazing shape).

#19 10 years ago

While you're on the Island, you might want to also check out "High Scores Arcade" http://highscoresarcade.com/
    They have a collection of 80's arcades there. I Haven't been there yet, but I want to check it out next time I'm up that way.

^^^ sure there are bad parts of Oakland but there are great parts too. Check out the legionnaires saloon, they had last time I was there MET pro, MB with color and, DM, SS, and I want to say one more I can't remember.

Alameda Island is okay, but boy, that area up near Emeryville, just south of I 80 looks like something out of The Walking Dead!

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Alameda Island is okay, but boy, that area up near Emeryville, just south of I 80 looks like something out of The Walking Dead!

believe me I know, I work in west Oakland and I think you mean the street behind my work. It looks like it's straight out of mad max. huge homeless camps, cars barely missing each other driving 90 miles an hour, buildings held up by the amount spray paint on them, and junkies going through the ashtray so the ly can smoke old butts with tobacco left in them.

Luckily there are no pins for miles!

#21 10 years ago

Okay, time for my recommendations...

Oakland/Alameda area:
    Hi Life Pizza - Stern Trek, AFM, AC/DC Pro, Batman Dark Knight, Cirqus Voltaire, Fish Tales, Whirlwind, Radical, Diner
    SubPar Mini Golf - Who Dunnit, Shrek, T2, Monopoly, Indy 93, Mushroom World
    High Scores - 80's classic free play video arcade - Baby Pac Man and Granny & The Gators
    Pacific Pinball Museum (duh!)

San Francisco:
    Metreon - Batman Dark Knight, Lord of the Rings, Simpsons, Sopranos, Spiderman, Family Guy
    Free Gold Watch - 24+ pins, but many with small issues or aren't leveled properly

-Mark

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

Agree; I was there this weekend. The SS games need some love, but that's probably because they get a lot of use, more than the EM games. I would love to help get those machines cleaned up! They all mechanically played pretty well, they just need bulbs, rubber and a good PF scrub.
    The EMs were beautiful, though. Some amazing history there.
    Marc

I was there about a month ago, and don't recall the SS pins being that bad, so they must get played constantly. However, the EM's were definitely in nicer shape...for reasons already mentioned.

I know they have one night a week (or similar) where volunteers come in and clean the machines...perhaps you could join the crew!
    http://pacificpinball.org/volunteers

-Mark

#23 10 years ago

I hit the museum and had a great time.

I was there for several hours playing just about everything. I spent most of my time playing TZ, TAF and IJ. The staff was great and everything was working 100%. I guess this last week and weekend they went through all of the machines and got everything working, timing is everything you know!

All said and done, I had a great time. I am gonna visit a few locations mentioned above and really do appreciate all of the information about local play.

#24 10 years ago

If you hit that Free Gold Watch place let us know how that went. They have a WOZ I believe.

#25 10 years ago

This place???
    image-128.jpgimage-128.jpg
    image-339.jpgimage-339.jpg

#26 10 years ago

I'm going to try and visit freegoldwatch on Friday maybe Saturday...

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from theke:

I'm going to try and visit freegoldwatch on Friday maybe Saturday...

Well worth the trip! Really glad to hear you enjoyed PPM as well, it always bums me out when someone goes and does not have a great experience. Its such a great place.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from theke:

This place???

image-339.jpg 103 KB

image-128.jpg 81 KB

Can't quite make out the finer details on the map, but isn't that close to Amoeba Music?

#30 10 years ago

Can't quite make out the finer details on the map, but isn't that close to Amoeba Music?

its about one block over parallel to ameoba.

#31 10 years ago

Go to Whole Foods and grab a bomber first to drink while you play - it's BYOB

#32 10 years ago

its about one block over parallel to ameoba.

Damn. I was in that neighborhood a year ago, and didn't know Free Gold Watch existed.

#33 10 years ago

Damn. I was in that neighborhood a year ago, and didn't know Free Gold Watch existed.

Not sure how long its been around, may actually not have been there yet.

#34 10 years ago

It's been there over a year but come visit any time - it rocks!

#35 10 years ago

Went by the freegoldwatch.com house and played for about an hour. Staff was super cool and the machines were in pretty good shape. I was looking forward to playing WOZ so that's the real reason I made the drive...but it was down hard. No WOZ for me. Still worth the drive had a good time, thanks FGW staff...

Going back to the PAC museum on Saturday for some TZ and TAF action!

#36 10 years ago

So I found out what happened to WOZ - apparently the power supply or something like that melted down so it's really down for the count for a bit. I know it's been having a lot of problems and I don't know if it's because it gets a ton of play on location there, but the OP for it is always good about working on it and making sure it is in working shape but it does seem to go down a ton. I hope JJP can make sure that The Hobbit and even the rest of the WOZ run are built to handle being on location since it seems like they are often out of order when I see them on location (sample group of two machines).

#37 10 years ago

Had a great time in the Bay Area. Got to visit a few very good friends, play lots of pinball and drink some beer...or maybe it was drink lots of beer and play some pinball. In any case, fregoldwatch.com and the Pacific Pinball Museum are worth the time to visit. I think I enjoyed the museum more just because of the selection of games! Thanks Bay Area, see you in 10 months!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/going-to-visit-the-pacific-pinball-museum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.