(Topic ID: 97686)

Going to the darkside... Ever trade a pin for a vid?

By winteriscoming

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by sunnRAT
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1787298388630203.jpeg
    strike fighter.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I feel kind of guilty... It wasn't a straight trade, but I sold my Stern Dracula and used some of the cash to buy a sit-down driver (Out Run 2: Special Tours). My wife really likes driving games and I wanted to get something in the game room that she can be excited about.

Anyone ever trade a pin for a video arcade?

It's crazy how much cheaper they can be than pins. I sold Dracula, got the driver, and have $50 left over!

#2 9 years ago

I'd likely trade my Tron for a minty Cinematronics Warrior, but nobody has one of those.

#3 9 years ago

I'd trade an old pin all day towards a driver. So, yeah!

#4 9 years ago

I was watching "The Color of Money" the other day and had forgotten about the scene with the Stocker. That would be a cool driver to have. If I had the room I'd really like either an Ironman Stewart game, or Super Sprint. I loved those 3/4 overhead view racers!

#5 9 years ago

I'd trade one for a driver or an original Star Wars.

#6 9 years ago

Blasphemous!

#7 9 years ago

Traitors D: !!!!!!

#8 9 years ago

I've made trades both ways before, but usually receiving a pin. I always have sit-down drivers. Right now have a pair of Fast & Furious and a single Nicktoons Nitro.

I've had some pin offers for my EDOT but if/when it leaves, it's probably being replaced by a pile of cash

#9 9 years ago

Arcade games are WAY cheaper than pins....here in Buffalo you can get dedicated cabs for 2-3 hundred bucks....drivers a bit more....I sold all my cabs and now just have one mame cab....I can't ever see myself selling a pin.......Joey

#10 9 years ago

Man... I thought pins were hard to move into my basement, but the driving cabinet for OutRun 2 Special Tours is by far the worst thing I've ever had to move... At least pins can be broken down into a manageable size and weight.

I took it apart as much as I could and even took the monitor out. The cabinet that was left was still super heavy and huge. I think it measured right at about 31" wide and I'm lucky that it made it through my basement door! I don't know if this thing is ever coming out of my basement...

#11 9 years ago

I wouldn't trade a pin for a video game .......but then again that outrun 2 is a sweet ass game .....

#12 9 years ago

Post some pictures of the driving game once it's all set up man

#13 9 years ago

I love driving games, I have PolePosition 1 and 2, RoadBlasters, Cruisin USA, Hyperdrive, Hydro Thunder, Rush the Rock, and Rush 2049 SE. I'm looking for Mario Kart GP2 or DX in or around Michigan if anyone has a pair or single for sale. I will trade pinball machines for them.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Arcade games are WAY cheaper than pins....here in Buffalo you can get dedicated cabs for 2-3 hundred bucks....drivers a bit more....I sold all my cabs and now just have one mame cab....I can't ever see myself selling a pin.......Joey

I traded a vid for a pin once. Never the other way though.

While the above quote may hold true if you do not care about the title, there are quite a few upright arcades that sell for 1K plus among collectors every day. I have been trying to find a decent Mad Planets for 10 years in the midwest. It is the last arcade I really want. I would even consider trading 2 pins for a nice one.

Some of the titles I have seen get crazy money lately are Ice Cold Beer, Crossbow, and Space Ace.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

My wife really likes driving games and I wanted to get something in the game room that she can be excited about.

Happy wife, happy life. I've done a couple game trades/sales that were designed solely for keeping the family entertained and playing with me, rather than keep pins that only get touched by me every couple days.

I sold my Stern Dracula and used some of the cash to buy a sit-down driver (Out Run 2: Special Tours).

Wife or no, this was a good swap.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheShameGovernor:

Wife or no, this was a good swap.

Well... It's turning into more of a project than I hoped, so we'll see how much more I have to invest in it to get it up and running. It originally was giving an error that I thought would be a simple fix, but my first attempt at correcting it wasn't successfull... now I have to wait for more parts to come in. A small part of me is glad there's something to fix, though.

This particular game uses the Sega Chihiro hardware, but the wiring is compatible with NAOMI, so I could drop a NAOMI into this cabinet to get the original Crazy Taxi or Jambo Safari running. Also, both the NAOMI and Chihiro can netboot, which means that you can push games to them from a computer, meaning I can potentially run a few different driving games in the same cabinet with minimal work.

#17 9 years ago

lol. Crazy Taxi. What a great game that was. Played many an hour on it.

#18 9 years ago

Sure, I once traded a Gorgar for a Spy Hunter vid.

Cause I thought it would be really cool to have a SpyHunter vid.

#19 9 years ago

I once traded a Gottlieb Pin-up for a really clean Nintendo Playchoice 10. Not a bad deal. Now the vid is gone too. I came out ahead on the money side and my daughter got to enjoy Super Mario Bros for awhile.

#20 9 years ago

Well... It's turning into more of a project than I hoped, so we'll see how much more I have to invest in it to get it up and running. It originally was giving an error that I thought would be a simple fix, but my first attempt at correcting it wasn't successfull... now I have to wait for more parts to come in. A small part of me is glad there's something to fix, though.

All time you could be better spending on the TRex head!!

J/K.

My wife would love for me to trade a pin for a driver too, but not in this basement...

#21 9 years ago

I don't think I could do it, unless it gets me my top 3 arcades (Dragons Lair, DK, and Elevator Action). I am in the middle of building a keeper Hyperspin cabinet so I only need 1 spot for all my arcade games. Emulates NES and SNES too and will HDMI to my projector so I can play it from my couch.

#22 9 years ago

The values for most are so outta wack it makes trades tough. Most vids are worth less than even lower end pins. The mix is certainly nice... If you've had a gameroom with vids and pins, going back to a having just one or the other really feels incomplete.

#23 9 years ago

We love our outrun 2s

You choose wisely

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #24 9 years ago

I have a new NASCAR with need for speed carbons , I just switch the shifters , computers , marquees. It came with 32" LCD monitors. image.jpgimage.jpg

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

I don't think I could do it, unless it gets me my top 3 arcades (Dragons Lair, DK, and Elevator Action). I am in the middle of building a keeper Hyperspin cabinet so I only need 1 spot for all my arcade games. Emulates NES and SNES too and will HDMI to my projector so I can play it from my couch.

I'm all for a MAME cabinet, but unless you have the right kind of setup, you're probably not playing driving games or light gun games (I own some AimTraks and don't care for them.) well. These are two types of games that almost require a dedicated cab. Also, I think it will be a while before flawless emulation of mid to lake 2k games is an option.

#26 9 years ago

I'm all for a MAME cabinet, but unless you have the right kind of setup, you're probably not playing driving games or light gun games (I own some AimTraks and don't care for them.) well. These are two types of games that almost require a dedicated cab. Also, I think it will be a while before flawless emulation of mid to lake 2k games is an option.

Yeah, I'm just doing a basic 6 button, 2 player. No trackball or driving games. I just want it for the 20-30 classic arcades and NES/SNES. My kids have really gotten into Super Mario World and Ducktales so I think this will keep them happy for a day.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Yeah, I'm just doing a basic 6 button, 2 player. No trackball or driving games. I just want it for the 20-30 classic arcades and NES/SNES.

No shame in that! I wasn't trying to belittle your efforts or anything, just saying for some games, you might need space for another cab.

Quoted from my5es:

We love our outrun 2s
    You choose wisely

image.jpg 68 KB

Is that a sword on top of the right one!?

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

All time you could be better spending on the TRex head!!
    J/K.
    My wife would love for me to trade a pin for a driver too, but not in this basement...

You caught me! This driver is going to be the death of the T-REX project... Nah, just something else to work on.

After seeing it in person, I wouldn't have thought it would fit in my basement. The door to the basement is in the side of a hallway that's kind of narrow. There's a closet across from it that has a narrower door. With pins I can usually open the closet door and tilt the dolly back into it before going down the stairs. That wasn't going to happen with this game. I luckily was able to get it tilted a little (without a dolly) and slid it down the stairs. Gravity was on my side going down... I just don't know if I'd ever be able to get the game back up!

#29 9 years ago

No shame in that! I wasn't trying to belittle your efforts or anything, just saying for some games, you might need space for another cab.

Is that a sword on top of the right one!?

Yes it's Zorro's sword I have not figured out how to display it yet

#30 9 years ago

The Mame cabinet I have takes care of just about everything. X-Arcade Tankstick with the roller ball, got an analog stick inside the coin door as well for those games, and a gravis gamepad as well. Can get 4 people playing Gauntlet on that sob
    Only control surface I'm missing is a spinner for games like 720/Arkanoid, and go figure they're two of my favorites. Paperboy is just about the only game I can't play properly at all.

#31 9 years ago

Nothing to feel bad about. I have a split right now 4 Pins 4 Vids. Most people that come over like vids better and you can usually get them for a fraction of the cost.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

Nothing to feel bad about. I have a split right now 4 Pins 4 Vids. Most people that come over like vids better and you can usually get them for a fraction of the cost.

Yup, same here. Mame cab gets the most use, usually Track & Field more than anything... That, and TMNT.

#33 9 years ago

I would actually love to trade my IJ for a nice ms pacman and virtua fighter (+ cash of course)

#34 9 years ago

My heaviest Vid takes the space of about 4 pins. I love it, it goes no where. It took 6 guys to take the main cabinet down. I stripped boards, monitors (yes 3 of them) out of it and I still don't think I could get it up. I put some new monitors in it, some new controls etc. Everything has its' price. If you really need to get it, 14k for the Video game is my price. I will give 1k each to a couple of friends who helped with it, and 1k to pinside if you must have my Video game. I am glad you got your's though op.

strike fighter.jpgstrike fighter.jpg
    #35 9 years ago

IMG_1787298388630203.jpegIMG_1787298388630203.jpeg

I traded one pin for 9 or ten vids once

Nice Demo Man for
    Gauntlet
    Pacmania
    Stargate
    Joust
    Robotron
    Frogger
    Time Pilot
    Vanguard
    StreetFighter 2
    Stack of boards as well that included Contra and a TMNT

I dont regret that trade one bit
    I found pinball thru arcade collecting and consider it my first passion, I love to play pinball, but my wallet likes arcade games better!

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from Sarge:

Nice Demo Man for
    Gauntlet
    Pacmania
    Stargate
    Joust
    Robotron
    Frogger
    Time Pilot
    Vanguard
    StreetFighter 2
    I found pinball thru arcade collecting and consider it my first passion, I love to play pinball, but my wallet likes arcade games better!

IMG_1787298388630203.jpeg 119 KB

Absolute no brainer there.

#37 9 years ago

Atari Star Wars cockpit I would love but have no space unless in the middle of the living room

#38 9 years ago

I'm finishing up a Sega Virtual On: Cyber Troopers restore that I was thinking about trading for a pin. I love the game and its a lot of fun, but damn it takes up a lot of space and is EXTREMELY heavy. With a move potentially happening in the near future, I would like to not have to deal with it. If anyone is interested I can send some pictures. Still need to finish the seat backs and print new decals, but everything else is done. Great if you have the space. Would like to keep things local due to size and weight of the game though. Willing and open to all trades (check out wanted list). Would prefer a DMD or AN display era game though.

Not mine but game play:

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from Sarge:

Nice Demo Man for
    Gauntlet
    Pacmania
    Stargate
    Joust
    Robotron
    Frogger
    Time Pilot
    Vanguard
    StreetFighter 2

IMG_1787298388630203.jpeg 119 KB

That Demo Man must've had gold bars sitting inside of it!

#40 9 years ago

I got my OutRun 2 Special Tours up and running. The fix was inexpensive, so I still came out with money to spare from the Stern Dracula sale.

I'll post a pic when I figure out the new layout in my gameroom.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

That Demo Man must've had gold bars sitting inside of it!

Actually it was a mutually benificial situation. Fellow pinsider needed room for more pins, I happily obliged him

It was a real nice Demo Man tho!

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from Sarge:

Actually it was a mutually benificial situation. Fellow pinsider needed room for more pins, I happily obliged him
    It was a real nice Demo Man tho!

Those are some great arcades. Not sure of the values where you're at but down here in AZ those games have ridiculous commanding prices. Nice haul!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/going-to-the-darkside-ever-trade-a-pin-for-a-vid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.