(Topic ID: 20602)

Going to PAPA. Playing many pins for 1st time. Which to play?

By Prkchpsndwiches

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Betelgeuse
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Going to PAPA with wife for two days. Played most pins virtually. Planning on playing TOTAN, favorite virtual by far. Also plan on playing JP. Want to get the wife into it. Maybe get one for the house . What other pins are must plays and maybe others that aren't great to own but need to be tried out at least once?

#2 7 years ago

Eeep. There's no simple answer to that. The rows and rows of pins at PAPA are huge. And enticing.

I guess my only answer is to buy some rolls of tokens, stroll around and play any game that catches your eye. Don't go by the 'popular' consensus or the virtual games--there are TONS of great, fun games to check out, new and old!

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Eeep. There's no simple answer to that. The rows and rows of pins at PAPA are huge. And enticing.
    I guess my only answer is to buy some rolls of tokens, stroll around and play any game that catches your eye. Don't go by the 'popular' consensus or the virtual games--there are TONS of great, fun games to check out, new and old!

Yeah I didn't really just want to play pins only in the top 100. I figure I'll just play the few I really want to, and then whatever draws me in. I was just wondering if there were any certain pins that you wouldn't leave there without trying. Maybe something rare I won't see anywhere else.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Oh and was planning on bringing a few rolls of quarters, but I buy tokens there?

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Prkchpsndwiches:

Oh and was planning on bringing a few rolls of quarters, but I buy tokens there?

The machines run on tokens, so no need to bring quarters since you will have to exchange them for tokens anyway once you get there.

#6 7 years ago

Here are some unique and/or rare pins that I remember playing during my last PAPA visit:

Varkon (rare & unique pinball disguised as arcade machine, only 90 ever made):
    http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=2721

Safecracker (unique w/ interactive board game in the backbox):
    http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=3782

Banzai Run (unique w/ vertical upper playfield):
    http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=175

Cactus Canyon (kind of rare, last traditional Bally/Williams pinball ever made):
    http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=4445

Also, if you liked TOTAN, be sure to check out Theatre Of Magic (http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=2845) and Cirqus Voltaire (http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=4059) as they were designed by the same dude, John Popadiuk.

These were all up & running on all 3 days during my last PAPA visit, so you should definitely have a chance to play them. Check 'em out!

#7 7 years ago

Definitely agree with everything on PinB's list. Varkon is one of my favorite games!

There are also a couple head-to-head machines there which are a unique experience to play. Hopefully Joust is working this time! Challenger is very cool too, the whole playfield tilts throughout the game.

Spend some time in the Gottlieb section to play some weird machines (not all necessarily good ones) and the Zaccaria section for Time Machine, Clown, etc...

Oh and don't miss Orbitor 1. It's only fun for a few games, but it's completely unlike anything else you'll play.

#9 7 years ago

Rolling Stones! And Varkon, the gravity-defying pinball machine.

#10 7 years ago

Play the funky unpopular ones! You arent likely to see those in any other setting!

#11 7 years ago

My goal is to play everything they have at least once, then go back and play some more! Then after a marathon of pinball, try to qualify. Can't wait til Aug 9th!! Im looking forward to playing Flash Gordon, Quicksilver and Fathom the most I think.

#12 7 years ago

Oh and Dragon... BAAAAOOOOooooowww

#13 7 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!

#14 7 years ago

Its not about what the score is on Dragon its about how many Dragons you sleigh.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

Its not about what the score is on Dragon its about how many Dragons you sleigh.

Is Santa using Dragons now? Sweet!

Prkchpsndwiches (love your screenname btw), I love TOTAN as well. Very fun game.

I say to go for games that the general pinball community may label as lame (i.e. South Park, X-Files, etc.) and the ones you are interested in within the Top 100. That will give you a good spread of what you like and don't like. Some people think that South Park sucks, but I think it's a solid game. Pinball is all about what you like, not everyone else.

As far as the wife goes, I would recommend finding out what kind of themes she likes and then go from there. My wife loves POTO and TRON. Something with a simple ruleset like an '80s classic might help her warm up to pinball. Just don't start her off with TZ

#16 7 years ago

PAPA added Al's Garage Band, Robocop, and Capcom Airborne last week just FYI. Lots of different stuff is creeping into the collection. Split Second and Freefall are also fairly new and worth a look.

Ghostbusters will also be making an appearance thanks to Pinsider Betelgeuse.

#17 7 years ago

Some good specific recs above. Do seek and play Orbitor 1, the Zaccaria games and the Segasa/Sonic ones. Check out some of the EMs and woodrails in the back row too!

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

the Zaccaria games

Oh I forgot about the Zaccaria games! It looks like they have most of them too!

#19 7 years ago

Don't just play DMDs. There's lots of SS fun to be had!

#20 7 years ago

PAPA is great, but Pinburgh is also a great tourney for this reason. The format has you playing 10 matches over 2 days, each match being a set of games on a group of 4 pins. And each group has at least 1-2 older pins (SS or EM). So you never know what you'll be playing! That's 40 different titles played in 2 days, plus playoffs or a consolation tourney on day 3, and it really gets you to play quite a variety of games in a friendly competition. I like PAPA but I love Pinburgh! (OK, I'd love PAPA if I were able to qualify again someday...)

3 weeks later
    #21 7 years ago

Leaving in 3-5 hours!!! Any last minute suggestions?

#22 7 years ago

Leaving in 3-5 hours!!! Any last minute suggestions?

Have a safe trip!

#24 7 years ago

Got in a bit late. Played for about 3 hours with the wife. I'll give one big pro and con so far.

Pro: Tons of pins! Crazy selection! Played every pin on my list at least once except Varkon, ran out of tokens, will play tomorrow, Jost was ooo and Orbitor 1, couldn't find it. Oh and video screens on A Div are top notch!

Con: Noise. So many people and pins I an barely hear the machines. To be expected at an event this size. Got to play Ghostbusters, but loses its luster since I can't hear a single call out.

#25 7 years ago

Got to play Ghostbusters, but loses its luster since I can't hear a single call out.

I had heard this from a few people. At this point I just can't get the machine loud enough to really be heard clearly over all those other games. I plan to make some improvements on the loudness factor in the near future.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I had heard this from a few people. At this point I just can't get the machine loud enough to really be heard clearly over all those other games. I plan to make some improvements on the loudness factor in the near future.

It's no knock to you at all! It's a great looking game. I just know you put a lot of effort into the sound and it's a shame I can't hear. I saw it was OOO for a bit today. What happened?

#27 7 years ago

Well, I made some adjustments tonight to get a little more volume out of it. There's nothing really wrong, it's just too loud in there to hear most games clearly. I'm thinking I might put an enhanced speaker system in at some point.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 49.00
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 149.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 79.00
    $ 84.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Plastics
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 19.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    € 59.80
    Lighting - Backbox
    Freddys Pinball Paradise
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside