Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by doublezo1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

im going to look at a ww tomarrow, what should i look out for? what are the problem areas on this machine. thanks.

#2 13 years ago

like any table you want to take a good look at the playfield look for broken plastic covers
and the ramp to the left.
They made over 7000 whirlwinds in 1990 check out the Pinside Achive section for this game to give yourself a good idea and what others say about it.
Most of all see how it plays - good luck doublezo1

#3 13 years ago

Make sure it has the topper. See if the fan works. There are some replacement motors available (I think from Grangier) but I think the shaft is a different diameter than the fan blades.

Check that the displays are working. The 47k ohm resistors on the power supply can go bad and make the displays inoperable. It is an easy fix and can restore what appear to be bad displays for <$1.

Check for cracked ramps.

There are usually broken plastics on the sides of the ramp and at the three bank drop targets. You can buy a replacement plastic set from Mad Amusements.

You can buy new decals for the spinner discs and other areas from Jeff at Classic Arcades. Get them from his eBay store, not the web site.

Hopefully it will have full Mylar, which will spare you a lot of playfield wear. But there may be wear around the spinners even with Mylar. If it has a Diamond Plate playfield, you've struck the jackpot.

There's usually wear at the right Cellar Hole.

Stand up targets are often broken, no biggie but don't be surprised.

The optos for the drop targets are often not working. Sometimes it is an easy fix as the wire inside the plastic housing breaks and it can be easily repaired without having to buy a new opto. (This is what I did, I have pics if you have this problem.)

The upper right flipper is often weak, making it impossible to hit the Million ramp shot.

If I can think of anything else, I'll add it.

#4 13 years ago

If it's not diamond plated, check for wear around the bumpers, as the mylar doesn't cover those areas completely. Also check the left ramp entrance as it is usually broken, unless there's a cliffy on it. If there isn't a cliffy and you get it, get one for it.

That's all I can think to add, except if you do get lucky and find a diamond plated game, I'd jump on it for sure.

Good luck with it, great game

#5 13 years ago

The seller is playing games, I don't think he really wants to sell. There's more out there..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/going-to-look-at-a-whirlwind and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.