(Topic ID: 211039)

Which kind of nut (locknuts & acorn nuts)

By Balaraform

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Cheddar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Ok so I got my whirlwind, which is a diamond plate. I have to replace some plastics but it looks almost brand new. I was wondering if acorn nuts should be used instead of lock nuts. I have seen pictures with both but is there a reason to choose one over the other, or is it purely preference?

Thanks everyone.

#2 6 years ago

Put whirlwind, hardware advice, acorn vs lock, or maybe even not title your thread the same as a very rare machine and maybe you’ll get some good, PERTINENT responses to your very specific question.

What in the actual hell is up with clickbait titles this year???

#3 6 years ago

I amended the title. I'm sure it was unintentional.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Many thanks @forceflow! I was hoping to see something about a super rare pin and instead it was a basic opinion A or B hardware question.

There are a ton of clickbait headlines nowadays. People just trying to draw attention to their pretty (dare I say) unimportant topics with wild headlines like “I never thought I’d do this...” or “you won’t believe this...”. It needs to stop. This is a Pinball site, not Yahoo.

#5 6 years ago

And there are more important things in this world to get mad about...

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from chad:

And there are more important things in this world to get mad about...

Ok. Let’s just let this site devolve into lazy ass people just posting “issue” or “check this out” threads... or hell why not just go to no titles and just have generic Thread numbers, no description. Just click on Thread #10028, oops it’s its about an EM game you don’t care about. Thread #10029... is a poll about Stern QC you don’t care about. But you don’t care so let’s open threads #10030-10050 posted that day.

It takes virtually NO EFFORT to make a title with SOME useful information for the Pinball thread you’re making on a F’ing Pinball forum.

Do the internet better.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Ok. Let’s just let this site devolve into lazy ass people just posting “issue” or “check this out” threads... or hell why not just go to no titles and just have generic Thread numbers, no description. Just click on Thread #10028, oops it’s its about an EM game you don’t care about. Thread #10029... is a poll about Stern QC you don’t care about. But you don’t care so let’s open threads #10030-10050 posted that day.
It takes virtually NO EFFORT to make a title with SOME useful information for the Pinball thread you’re making on a F’ing Pinball forum.
Do the internet better.

Ok, point made--let's try to steer this back to the OP's original question, please

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Thanks for the mod it was unintentional.

Quoted from Yoko2una:

Do the internet better.

I will use your advice next time I post. I am new to the hobby and had no idea there is a rare pin called “Going Nuts,” and I thought I tagged Whirlwind . My only intention was to see why the difference.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Balaraform:

Thanks for the mod it was unintentional.

I will use your advice next time I post. I am new to the hobby and had no idea there is a rare pin called “Going Nuts,” and I thought I tagged Whirlwind . My only intention was to see why the difference.

No worries. It was a straw that broke the camels back. 2018 is rich with clickbait titles and newbs posting questionable FS ads.

To your question, once you’ve been in the hobby for a while you’re going to notice that the nylon acorn nuts are exponentially more aesthetically pleasing than standard hex nuts.

Sure hex nuts will go down to whatever depth without a cap. But most pinball machines have threaded posts designed where acorn nuts have enough threads to grip down the plastics.

So the answer is if you can use acorns, it looks way better, but if there’s a wild gap, look at a spacer, a different post, or settle for a hex that will leave ugly threads exposed.

Also, go check out Going Nuts on IPDB. It’s one of my grail play pins (not to own, but to play). Super cool idea.

#10 6 years ago

Thanks for the help and that game
Looks crazy to play with no out lames and three start multiball.

#11 6 years ago

I use these and I love them ebay.com link: 0

Polished Nickel Acorn Nuts

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/going-nuts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.