5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pdxmonkey
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-289.jpg
    image-304.jpg
    threemenandacomicbook1[1].png

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago

I have borrowed games from friends and currnetly have one out on loan (he shops it and gets to play it for 6 months or so). It has worked fine everytime so far and don't expect anything different.

granted I met these guys through pinside/pinball but they are now friends that go beyond just pinball buddies.

#52 5 years ago

I think with a NIB it is a bit harder. I would suggest finding a location that is close to both of you. Buy the NIB, put it on location, and split the losses after 6-8 months when it is time to sell.

At least then you both have easy access to play the game whenever you want, you have 2 people to chip in with maintainence, and if 1 of you really likes the game then you can buy out the other after a predetermined time period for a predetermined amount (or whatever agreed FMV is at the time).

#53 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I've never had a problem moving games, between my dolly, carpet sliders and pinball skates I can move a game from the game room to the van solo without any heavy lifting.
    I feel on average, between my collection and friends, I move about two games a month.

I am going halfsies with pdxmonkey on a NIB game currently. I'm thrilled. He's super trustworthy and easy to work with.

I'd recommend not doing this with someone who has games in their basement. I figured that's obvious, but it seems folks are commenting that would be an issue.

I don't have any issues moving games by myself with my physical stress. Pick up with cart, take off legs, put in Jeep and go. The end.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

He's super trustworthy and easy to work with.

I can confirm this

#55 5 years ago

There's never a problem, till there's a problem.

#56 5 years ago

On paper it sounds great--until human nature kicks in.

#57 5 years ago

It will work with the right person.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

I am going halfsies with pdxmonkey on a NIB game currently.

I would have ZERO problem going in with a guy like John or Justin for that matter either...distance kills the idea for me. Consider the partner and move forward. Two ultimately trustworthy guys right there. Good luck fellas!

#59 5 years ago

I suppose here is what I would look for:

1. Has a few games or games themselves or frequently cycles games. I wouldn't want the guy with 1-2 games and never sells/trades them. He may get too attached and not want to trade it back.

2. The other person shouldn't scrapped for cash. This way if the game get's scratched or whatever happens it is a bummer, but not end of the world.

3. Find someone who can easily move games in/out of their house by themselves so they can bring it to your place when its time and you can bring it to theirs. Makes it easier for both and a time saver.

4. Make it a person that if you had too many games you would be comfortable lending them a game for a few months at a time.

Obviously, you want the honest,fair etc stuff, but for pinball requirements I think those hold pretty true for me.

#60 5 years ago

Good luck, but be careful. I think there is far more downside than upside to the idea.

If you go forward with it, write up a simple contract spelling out the details. If you don't think you need one, watch a couple episodes of Judge Judy.

#61 5 years ago

This type of arrangement could certainly be risky, but it's something I would do since there's someone I trust enough with whom to do it. I wouldn't be a hurry to get the pin into my house, since I'm already at 133% capacity. The good thing is, he has a big basement, with plenty of space. Potential downsides? Yes. But most things involve some level of risk. You just have to be comfortable with the situation.

#62 5 years ago

I don't see this as a problem at all. I loan games out often. I recently let a friend borrow my tron LE for 6 months. Co ownership can work out well if you pick the right partner.

#63 5 years ago

My Pin buddies. MichAngie and I are doing this as we speak.. He is moving and I have room for their games... A -Title games and oldies. Projects....

I have pins -games upstairs and in the basement... I would add. If your keeping it long term. 6 months or more.. In the basement it should go..... If possible. Stays Dry..Winter..NO Drama.

If its a trial period starting...Getting the bugs worked out -halfies.- trading-loaning... Maybe keep the game(s) upstairs in an agreed location... Don't forget making the Ms.or spouses. happy also..

Stay cool.. Stay friends.. MOST important. If its not working out. Say Something. Don't wait till someone is so pissed . You lose it all over a pin...

NT

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Buy the NIB, put it on location, and split the losses after 6-8 months when it is time to sell.

This is probably actually the best sounding solution I've heard so far, if you can manage to get friends to invest into 2-3 pinballs. Each owner gets a key, can play whenever he wants (so long as that business is open). I say 2-3 because you're talking about $300/year just in insurance. Easier to split that among more than one pin.

When the pin's earnings start to decline, you either sell it and split the sale, or one person buys out the other friends.

1 month later
    #65 5 years ago

Two shared games delivered
    First week so far so good

image-304.jpg image-289.jpg
    #66 5 years ago

I am "halfsies" with a few EMs. The trick is to always have at least 2 machines so each of you can enjoy a game in the partnership.

I believe we are on year 4 and going strong.

Marcus

#67 5 years ago

Nice score!! I wish somebody up here in Washington would get a AMH so I can play it finally.

Just got a LOTR in house. It's half mine and the wife's and half my best friends. We keep all of the pins at my house (he lives in an appt) and he can come over any time. Out of our 8 games 2 are ours 1 is all his and the rest have been joint purchases.
    With the right person (and that's a huge sticking point) sharing games can work real nicely.

#68 5 years ago

If you find yourself in Portland lmk

#69 5 years ago

I think this is a brilliant idea, and I would happily do it with my two best friends. Please keep us posted...and nice purchases!

1 month later
    #70 4 years ago

One month later and after some shuffling everything is going really well.

TWD is back at my house for a few more weeks. So far it spent the first two weeks at my home. Followed by three weeks at my buddies place (he got the update) and now it's here for a month-ish. We haven't been super firm on the dates more so just when it's convenient.

AMH found a home here as my friend decide he wanted out, I bought his half for the full amount he paid minus the half shipping.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Pin Mods
    $ 165.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 12.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 117.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.00
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Hobbit Black Arrow Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside