Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PtownPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C4439B7F-D89C-4EE7-B613-ABFCFFF101FF (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

Would you contribute to a GoFundMe so a upcoming pinball company could acquire a huge license?

#2 5 years ago

Upcoming meaning new/unknown company? If so then no.

Wouldn’t such a scenario be more appropriate for a kickstarter campaign?

#3 5 years ago

No, I would not “donate” money to a “for profit” business. I will possibly contribute to a kickstarter program for a business. One is a charity one if to start a business venture.

#4 5 years ago

Only if Keven K is involved. He seems super savvy with that kind of stuff.

#5 5 years ago

Nope. See Predator, Alien, Big Lebowski, Magic Girl, etc.
    Said company needs to get venture capitalists to fund their venture.

#7 5 years ago

No way, if you cant afford the licence you cant have it!

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

No way, if you cant afford the licence you cant have it!

Yup, companies should prove themselves before going after a huge license.

#9 5 years ago

The license is the easy part. Is there a whitewood already with the software framework done? No. Then this is unlikely to go anywhere.

#10 5 years ago

Look how many people got burned on a Kickstarter pinball book advertised by STERN!

Seriously, giving money toward a theme is the dumbest idea ever.

#11 5 years ago

Pinball arcade was successful with kickstarter for obtaining licenses for T2, TAF, STTNG, DH, and TZ. However, AC/DC was unsuccessful.

https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1067367405/created

But--most of those were also before preorder meltdowns, the CGC remakes, and the surge in NIB. Pinball Arcade also had a proven track record at delivering digital tables.

Who knows if license kickstarters would be successful today or not. Maybe, maybe not.

However, if an unknown company wants to try to build a physical game, then no, a kickstarter/gofundme would probably be unsuccessful just because so many people have been burned by other companies attempting the same thing with a preorder model.

If someone wants to build a game, they should get a business loan or hunt for investors like any other startup.

#12 5 years ago

If the company can’t even afford the IP license, how can they hope to actually produce games? If they can produce games, why are they hurting for the marginal license fee?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Oshara:

If the company can’t even afford the IP license, how can they hope to actually produce games? If they can produce games, why are they hurting for the marginal license fee?

Bingo!

#14 5 years ago

Sounds like a bad idea to me. A good machine can thrive on its own without a known theme. Look at MM

#15 5 years ago

Hell no

#16 5 years ago

I'm guessing this is the license's he's referring to:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beetlejuice-or-gremlins-pinball

And an easy pass for handing money over before product is available.

#17 5 years ago

If a "so called" pinball company can't afford to acquire a licence for a build then they aren't a pinball company. If they manage to acquire such a huge licence doesn't mean they can build a good shooting game that isn't a pile of crap. Red flags popping up all over the place!

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from blowback1976:

I'm guessing this is the license's he's referring to:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beetlejuice-or-gremlins-pinball
    And an easy pass for handing money over before product is available.

I'd rather see Stern build a Beetlejuice then some wanna be pinball manufacturer that will most likely fail and fall into a bag of dicks.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spinape:

Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Sounds like an Otaku idea to me...……...

#20 5 years ago

Welcome back to Pinside, he-who-must-not-be-named

#21 5 years ago

Acquiring the license is part of making said pinball machine.

#22 5 years ago

After getting "effed in the a" on a Skully helmet back in 2014, I don't do the crowd funding / pre-order thing anymore. A $1,400 shot in the ass was enough to teach me.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

After getting "effed in the a" on a Skully helmet back in 2014, I don't do the crowd funding / pre-order thing anymore. A $1,400 shot in the ass was enough to teach me.

You might be interested in this...

https://skullytechnologies.com/skully-nation/#MakeitRight

#24 5 years ago

Thanks for posting that link. I signed up for their campaign the instant it opened. I’m not holding my breath though.

The last email I got from them said backers would have them by the end of the summer.

I’m hoping for the best, but I wrote it off years ago. Right after the original a-holes blew all my money on strippers, vacations and a couple Dodge Vipers.

#25 5 years ago

Why did this pop into my head right away??

C4439B7F-D89C-4EE7-B613-ABFCFFF101FF (resized).jpegC4439B7F-D89C-4EE7-B613-ABFCFFF101FF (resized).jpeg
    #26 5 years ago

I was thinking yes, I'll fund you. Then I seen your -12 down votes. The people have spoken. I'll put down payment on TNA instead.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Sounds like an Otaku idea to me...……...

No kidding, wonder how gameseum is doing?
    You would have to be an idiot to support OP proposal if you keep up at all with pinball the last few years. Heighway really surprised me, and I'm beginning to wonder about Homepin.
    No more underfunded, I've got a dream struggling pinball startups needed, not unless they are producing a new EM or an SS based completely off Bally Williams 1979-1990.

#28 5 years ago

why in the world would anyone do this? u might as well burn your money in the fireplace

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gofundme-pinball-lincense- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.