(Topic ID: 307512)

Godzilla vs. Rush

By Trojanlaw

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Godzilla vs. Rush”

• Godzilla Premium or LE 137 votes
      80%
    • Rush Premium or LE 34 votes
      20%

(171 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1DD68EEB-92D7-44C7-9530-181A597F742D (resized).jpeg
    D8767872-873B-4F40-8E5B-812182852224 (resized).jpeg
    PXL_20220329_174844645 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Am considering adding one additional machine to the collection. Have GNR CE which I love. Am likely going to wait for Toy Story, but may get tired of waiting. I think Godzilla is awesome, but Rush looks intriguing. I love how Godzilla shoots and plays but am not thrilled with the theme. On the other hand, I am a Rush fan and it looks like a very interesting shooting game. I would get a premium in either. Thoughts?

#2 2 years ago

Be a man and get both if you want both.

#3 2 years ago

Get Godzilla now and enjoy, then sell and get Rush later

Edit: well, if you get any of them now that is

#4 2 years ago

I ordered both, lifelong Rush fan and after playing a Godzilla on location I knew right away that thing was special, like Iron Madien flow type special. Not really a Godzilla fan, watched all the movies as kid and blew it off as something corny at first but I was way wrong. It’s hilarious and fun for all ages. I can see Godzilla being a desirable game down the road, should hold its value.

#5 2 years ago

If you’re a Rush fan, get that and move it on later if it’s not a keeper.

#6 2 years ago

And here's the premature ejaculatory thread I've been waiting on

#7 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure Rush don't stand a chance against Godzilla. He's 30 stories tall for crying out loud!

#8 2 years ago

This is pure speculation, but I think Elwins pins are going to be the most saught after pins as they age into the market. They just shoot SOO fucking well. It's hard for me to admit it as I'm not a huge stern fan, but his designs are the best ever IMHO. I've probably played at least 80%+ of all modern pins, and his games are insanely good by comparison. You can tell that he designs as a pinhead, not a "designer." GOAT.

Random dude of the net recommendation: Buy and hold.

#9 2 years ago

I'd say Godzilla, but where's the "neither" option on your poll?

Almost anything recent VS Elwin is a Title fight

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from DK:

Almost anything recent VS Elwin is a Title fight

Yeah for me Elwin is an easy win against Borg; everytime

#11 2 years ago

How does everyone feel after the stream? I thought it looks like it shoots really well and theme integration and call outs are great.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Trojanlaw:

How does everyone feel after the stream? I thought it looks like it shoots really well and theme integration and call outs are great.

I have a gz here, and a rush on the way. Hard to pick which plays better obviously, but rush looks to be a funner game for me.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I have a gz here, and a rush on the way. Hard to pick which plays better obviously, but rush looks to be a funner game for me.

From a theme standpoint I agree. I don't know about flow yet. The thing that stood out to me as unique is how they scored all of the combination shots. Does GZ reward combo shots the same way? Plus it was pretty amazing how many different combos they set up in this layout. Seems to have a much deeper rule set than GZ as well. GZ still looks like it shoots better in terms of crispness of shots and unique gameplay. This game is far more appealing than I expected. That said, I grew up with Rush and love the music. If I didn't, GZ would be the clear winner for me.

#14 2 years ago

Why do I keep clicking on these stupid game vs game threads. God!!!!!

2 months later
    #15 2 years ago

To funny, I just clicked n it too, now I'm pulled in

I have been playing both GZ LE and Rush LE on location for the last few weeks

I love GZ, have a deposit on one shipping early April, but now I am torn like a lot of you -

but for those that have played Rush, please educate me, I may be off in these observations but would love others opinions:

It feels like is really heavy right side shooting & ball return, when I play it just feels like 70-80% of the time I'm on the right flipper & hitting the time machine or the left VUK

I think the scoop in the center may be contributing to this feeling & at times it feels like its "in the way"

the other observation/question - I tend to start playing new pins long before I have a clue about how they are to be played or learning the rule sets.

In this case, from an average at best pin player - this game seems way too easy? or is it me, you seem to get a multiball every 30 seconds, I swear, and they last forever.

The third time I played the game I scored 210,000,000 - more typically 70mil - 100mil

but free game almost every time I play ???

but man it is fun to shoot !

#16 2 years ago

GZ Le blows Rush Le away!!! Not even close. Although I love RUSH music. My favorite band!

#17 2 years ago

A barcade close to where I live has both Rush LE and Godzilla LE. Despite my name, I’m not a Rush music fan (my spouse is a super fan though) and when I first saw pictures of the Rush pin I was meh. I already have a ring magnet toy in LOTR.

I love the GZ pin. It’s awesome. But wow is the Rush LE a million times better than I expected. I rate both similarly. If you like Rush, the band, get a Rush premium. It’s a super fun game. The barcade has it next to a JJP GnR and while to me GnR looks better in a brochure (and I like GnR music much more than Rush), the Rush pin to me is a lot more fun. I think Stern Rush and Godzilla are both freaking awesome.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from calprog:

GZ Le blows Rush Le away!!! Not even close. Although I love RUSH music. My favorite band!

Agreed. Also huge Rush fan. Played both LEs in St Louis last week. Godzilla all day long. Look for an XMLE if you like Rush’ layout

#19 2 years ago

I have both ,I prefer Rush but godzilla is pretty fun too.

#20 2 years ago

Gz shoots better, but theme is not much for me, whereas rush theme is high on my list. I luckily own both games, really don't know which I prefer, leaning towards rush at the moment. Gz rules are much better tho,

#21 2 years ago

Really? This actually a poll? I mean Godzilla is one of the best pins we’ve seen in a long time and Rush is very average at best and I’m trying my best to be generous this morning.

#22 2 years ago

Life should be about ANDs and not ORs…

I have a Rush Pro with a GZ Pro on order. Problem soon to be solved!

#23 2 years ago

Unless Rush is your all time favorite band, GZ is the easy choice. Not sure what you mean when you say you are a “Rush fan”… I’m not saying Rush isn’t fun but GZ is a better game in my opinion and will have more staying power. It also appeals to a broader audience if you have a family or you intend having other people play.

#24 2 years ago

I love both, to be honest, but they are very different. Rush is a much easier shooter with longer ball times, whereas Godzilla is a more technical shooter and can punish you for your mistakes. The light show on Rush is outstanding!

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoppyCock:

Rush is very average at best.

Now that's just poppycock !

1 week later
    #26 2 years ago

Borg created a masterpeice in Rush LE. This has to be his best pinball ever.my new #1 with expression Lights going and volume up.
    It kinda feels like you just went to a concert after done playing it.
    I played a gz premium at pinbrew last year .. I didnt think i was playing one of the best games ever .. My fav pinball ever is Tales of the Arabian nights and Mideveil Madness.
    GZ is a cool game but Rush is better.
    Hope they do a remake on Tales of Arabian Nights ..that game is a blast.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mookie:

I played a gz premium at pinbrew last year .. I didnt think i was playing one of the best games ever .. My fav pinball ever is Tales of the Arabian nights and Mideveil Madness.
    GZ is a cool game but Rush is better.
    Hope they do a remake on Tales of Arabian Nights ..that game is a blast.

Here less than a year and MM and TOTAN... Your lamp spins are too low for sound judgement on GZ, grasshopper.

#28 2 years ago

I have both and my favorite seems to be the 1 I am playing at the time,very close.

#29 2 years ago

I've got both side by side and while Godzilla is awesome I'm ultimately playing Rush somewhat more. Admittedly though as far as themes go I'm neutral on Godzilla but a huge Rush fan, so that likely has much to do with it.

PXL_20220329_174844645 (resized).jpgPXL_20220329_174844645 (resized).jpg
    #30 2 years ago

I pulled trigger on a Godzilla Premium , going to have fun Modding it out. (Im on 3rd run , late 2022 production estimate)
    Picked up a Rush LE its a blast, so fun to play.. Pure Fun .

#1 Borg game
    &
    #1 Elwin game

#31 2 years ago

Neither. Get led Zeppelin

#32 2 years ago

I like both. They shoot really different. Feels like a ton more going on in the back of the playfield in GZ shot wise. Rush feels like its own game but the shots do feel closer down the playfield. Godzilla has better flow and feels like a more original playfield design and mechs are very unique. Rush mechs have all been done. I will say that it does not feel like Xmen as expected. One of Borgs best games but the theme is really at the top of my list for dreams. Not sure you can go wrong but I would go with what theme I love more.

Poor Iron Maiden is not getting played much due to the new hotness of these two titles.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Neither. Get led Zeppelin

say what

1DD68EEB-92D7-44C7-9530-181A597F742D (resized).jpeg1DD68EEB-92D7-44C7-9530-181A597F742D (resized).jpegD8767872-873B-4F40-8E5B-812182852224 (resized).jpegD8767872-873B-4F40-8E5B-812182852224 (resized).jpeg
    3 months later
    #34 1 year ago

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to ask specifically if the huge cult following on the Godzilla is due more to the popularity of the theme, or truly the playfield flow and dynamics?

I own Rush, and have 3 friends with godzilla's 20 minutes from my house, and if asked this question today, I'd have a hard time answering which to purchase.

Both are A titles in my opinion and Stern will really have to step up to not have a dud on their next release.

#35 1 year ago

Rush an A title? Glad you like it but don't think Stern is struggling to meet demand for that title like GZ. Doubt theme has much to do with it. Elwin makes amazing games.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Fordiesel69:

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to ask specifically if the huge cult following on the Godzilla is due more to the popularity of the theme, or truly the playfield flow and dynamics?

Gameplay fo sho. The theme is pretty funny & cool but the whole package with layout and rules and what's driving this.

Quoted from Fordiesel69:

Both are A titles in my opinion...

Well ah, great news for you indeed!

2 weeks later
    #37 1 year ago

I love both games, but very few games, if any can compete with Godzilla.

5 months later
    #38 1 year ago

Old thread that needs a bump.

Rush just won all kinds of 2022 awards in some unknown sdtm distro hosted "pinball network?" award YouTube show that doesn't really matter anyway but regardless, it's fun when your horse wins.

The answer on this topic is unique for each person.
    Both games are very fun. Sales numbers shouldn't matter in the process of reaching your individual answer, imo.
    2021 goes to gz, 2022 goes to rush. This thread should be more active...
    But who cares.
    Both are amazing. If you're a serious Rush fan it's no contest. If your not pining for Rush, and skip it for gz then I'd argue you're really not a serious fan. Poser.
    Admit it.
    Buy gz for popularity, buy it for Elwin, buy it cause you can't get it. You can't lose with either pin. You'll love gz and Rush from a shooting perspective but as a "serious Rush fan" you'll just miss out on all those "GNR moments" you have now with GNR.. you know what I mean... the feeling you get rocking out top tier pinball to killer music you LOVE? Yeah who wants that, you're right... Get gz. Surely you'll get goosebumps when gz roars or smile when the sounds of explosions fill the room. The obligatory call outs. Meh. But that's me.

If you like each theme (or don't care either way) and can afford, have the room and spousal approval for both, buy both... If I'm in your shoes, with what I know, Here's the best answer:

Get Rush pro now and wait on your gz premium. Work on the spousal support for number 3. There will be tons of them around later when you want to add it to your collection. Unless you're a fomo trend buyer or someone who puts theme lower in importance or more than anything likes the thrill of the chase, then definitely gz. Both are great playing games but only one is the best theme for you which imo is half the experience. Why settle on theme if they aren't equal? The lesser theme of the two should be the NEXT pin, not the first pin you aquire. Let's be honest, you're likely going to get a third pin regardless of what you or your spouse says ... She loves you, right? .. It's a matter of time. You can have both!

On a side note, you won't be playing your GNR much with either one.. ask me how I know. You might even consider selling it once or twice every now and then when you feel sorry you're neglecting it. It deserves more! Then you rip yourself away from your Stern play it out of pity and realize it's awesome on another level in a different way and come to your senses.. GNR is amazing. But......
    Next day you go back to your Stern... It's natural. It's a great shooter. Hey At least GNR looks gorgeous in attract mode... Get ready for it. It's tough.

I've got less than 10 "sympathy for the GNR" plays on it since I got Rush a month and a half ago. I'm sure gz would have the same effect. It was a much simpler life with 1 pin. Careful what you ask for...
    What have I done?

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

Rush just won all kinds of 2022 awards in some unknown sdtm distro hosted "pinball network?" award YouTube show that doesn't really matter anyway but regardless, it's fun when your horse wins.
    Both games are very fun. Sales numbers shouldn't matter in the process of reaching your individual answer, imo.

Rush won all the 2022 awards just by default because there was nothing else contending. Bond came out with shoddily unfinished code, Toy Story got slammed for the price and for being TS4 and for the ipad hogging half the playfield, nobody has played Weird Al since it isn't in arcades, and Scooby-Doo barely came out at all.

Rush is a solid B+, but it's not quite A-grade material like Godzilla. Rush's vibe is silly rather than epic, the playfield is a little off-kilter with the off-center flippers and time machine, and the rules structure doesn't fit together quite so well in that the time machine multiballs and instrument activations feel tacked-on and grindy. It's still great and fun, but it's not a GOAT contender.

#40 1 year ago

I own both, I play Rush a lot more. Maybe because I love the music, but its just more fun to me.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

Rush won all the 2022 awards just by default because there was nothing else contending. Bond came out with shoddily unfinished code, Toy Story got slammed for the price and for being TS4 and for the ipad hogging half the playfield, nobody has played Weird Al since it isn't in arcades, and Scooby-Doo barely came out at all.
    Rush is a solid B+, but it's not quite A-grade material like Godzilla. Rush's vibe is silly rather than epic, the playfield is a little off-kilter with the off-center flippers and time machine, and the rules structure doesn't fit together quite so well in that the time machine multiballs and instrument activations feel tacked-on and grindy. It's still great and fun, but it's not a GOAT contender.

Textbook response from a pinball guy, who is clearly not a serious Rush fan. Excellent supporting post. Now go get your gz! (Or update your collection list)

Followed by a textbook response from a true rush fan. Right here....

Quoted from NEW-B:

I own both, I play Rush a lot more. Maybe because I love the music, but its just more fun to me.

Thanks guys. I rest my case.
    Rush fans are the best! Peeer-eee-uhd!!

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

But who cares.
    Both are amazing. If you're a serious Rush fan it's no contest. If your not pining for Rush, and skip it for gz then I'd argue you're really not a serious fan. Poser.
    Admit it.
    Buy gz for popularity, buy it for Elwin, buy it cause you can't get it. You can't lose with either pin. You'll love gz and Rush from a shooting perspective but as a "serious Rush fan" you'll just miss out on all those "GNR moments" you have now with GNR.. you know what I mean... the feeling you get rocking out top tier pinball to killer music you LOVE? Yeah who wants that, you're right... Get gz. Surely you'll get goosebumps when gz roars or smile when the sounds of explosions fill the room. The obligatory call outs. Meh. But that's me.

If you like each theme (or don't care either way) and can afford, have the room and spousal approval for both, buy both... If I'm in your shoes, with what I know, Here's the best answer:
    Get Rush pro now and wait on your gz premium. Work on the spousal support for number 3. There will be tons of them around later when you want to add it to your collection. Unless you're a fomo trend buyer or someone who puts theme lower in importance or more than anything likes the thrill of the chase, then definitely gz. Both are great playing games but only one is the best theme for you which imo is half the experience. Why settle on theme if they aren't equal? The lesser theme of the two should be the NEXT pin, not the first pin you aquire. Let's be honest, you're likely going to get a third pin regardless of what you or your spouse says ... She loves you, right? .. It's a matter of time. You can have both!
    On a side note, you won't be playing your GNR much with either one.. ask me how I know. You might even consider selling it once or twice every now and then when you feel sorry you're neglecting it. It deserves more! Then you rip yourself away from your Stern play it out of pity and realize it's awesome on another level in a different way and come to your senses.. GNR is amazing. But......
    Next day you go back to your Stern... It's natural. It's a great shooter. Hey At least GNR looks gorgeous in attract mode... Get ready for it. It's tough.
    I've got less than 10 "sympathy for the GNR" plays on it since I got Rush a month and a half ago. I'm sure gz would have the same effect. It was a much simpler life with 1 pin. Careful what you ask for...
    What have I done?

What does SDTM or Flip N Out Pinball have to do with the Rush wins? I didn't vote. Votes came from media creators, competitive players, those outside of TPN, and from public as well. Just trying to correctly inform readers of this thread. Thanks for the mention.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

What does SDTM or Flip N Out Pinball have to do with the Rush wins? I didn't vote. Votes came from media creators, competitive players, those outside of TPN, and from public as well. Just trying to correctly inform readers of this thread. Thanks for the mention.

#44 1 year ago

Rush and Godzilla are side by side at my house and should be #1 and #2 You choose the order because I go back and Forth.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

What does SDTM or Flip N Out Pinball have to do with the Rush wins?

You could have switched the envelopes while at the podium.
    I thought I saw something up your sleeve during that award.

#46 1 year ago

I own a Rush Premium and GZ Pro. I just sold the GZ. It is a great game. But with how many premiums they have made and will make, you will find one down the road. I'm glad I've owned one and I do see what the hype is about. But my play style and love to build value has me giving Rush the nod on this one. At least for now.

...Nothing is bolted to the floor. If it were, how could you slide save?

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

You hosted it. That's what I said. I thought I was pretty clear.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vespula:

Textbook response from a pinball guy, who is clearly not a serious Rush fan. Excellent supporting post. Now go get your gz! (Or update your collection list)
    Followed by a textbook response from a true rush fan. Right here....

Actually despite that post, I've got a Rush coming this weekend in a trade deal. I like Rush the band fine, I'm not really much of a music fan of anything but if I had to pick a favorite band it probably would be them. I want GZ someday, but it can wait until a good deal shows up, and in the meantime it's in just about every arcade.

But the truth is that Godzilla is a greatest-of-all-time contender and Rush is ordinary. Fun, upbeat, colorful, musical, might be a top-40 of all time contender, but ordinary. You play through a list of songs like the hundred other dad-rock pins, and the layout is only a small remix of any other upper-flipper game.

(The game that I really wish existed is Rush's theme using AIQ's layout. That would work amazingly since Rush's songs are so flowy. AIQ's layout is somewhat wasted on that theme, fighting Thanos would make more sense with a big bash toy rather than endless combos.)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-vs-rush?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.