• Mandalorian 34 votes
    19%
  • Godzilla 146 votes
    81%

(180 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GEDC6762 (resized).JPG
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Hi, Although the title of this post looks like the making of a great movie, I am really looking for opinions on a Godzilla Premium vs. a Mandalorian Premium. I have a deposit down on a Mandalorian, but this weekend I had the chance to play Godzilla at the Midwest Gaming Classic. What a great machine. If you had to choose just one (and I do), which would you go with? To me, the Godzilla had so many satisfying shots and although I really like the Mandalorian theme, I think Godzilla may have edged it out. Thoughts? and thanks.

#2 2 years ago

Godzilla

#3 2 years ago

Whichever doesn’t take a year to get delivered. Both are good choices though.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from joehockey:

Hi, Although the title of this post looks like the making of a great movie, I am really looking for opinions on a Godzilla Premium vs. a Mandalorian Premium. I have a deposit down on a Mandalorian, but this weekend I had the chance to play Godzilla at the Midwest Gaming Classic. What a great machine. If you had to choose just one (and I do), which would you go with? To me, the Godzilla had so many satisfying shots and although I really like the Mandalorian theme, I think Godzilla may have edged it out. Thoughts? and thanks.

I’d go with the one I liked more. Then once I had my time with it, sell it and get the other one.

#5 2 years ago

Godzilla may not have "the Force" but it is a winner in my book.

#6 2 years ago

There are many games to compare Mando to, but Godzilla is not one of them. It’s really not even close. Godzilla destroys Mando on every metric.

#7 2 years ago

You should attach a poll to this post, so you will be able to see more clearly that Godzilla kicks a$s and takes names over Mandalorian for anyone other than the most die-hard Star Wars Universe fan.

#8 2 years ago

I had a Mando LE. I couldn’t sell it fast enough. The shots just aren’t satisfying. The right ramp is terrible. The scoop has bounce outs. The left ramp has bounce backs when the diverter drops. The upper play field is a gimmicky joke. The right orbit shots hit the child post and bounce back. The up/down scoop has lots of rejects.

I love the Mando theme. I’m a huge fan. I was psyched to get the game. I tried to force myself to like it. I lied to myself for a while. It’s just a really poorly designed game IMO. The theme, sound, code, and light show are incredible. But the damn layout design…. It’s just bad.

Godzilla on the other hand is an incredible layout. Keith Elwin is a damn genius with his layout and playfield design. This game is a top notch shooter with some the best toys I think stern has ever put out. The code still needs some work, but it’s pretty damn good so far.

I would highly recommend Godzilla over Mando. It’s just a better shooter. Forget the theme. I’ve never even seen a Godzilla film and I still love this game.

#9 2 years ago

I think whatever theme you can relate to the most. I think Godzilla has more flow, ramps, and shots. Godzilla is more of a standard fan layout, Mando is not. I would say if you are a big Star Wars/Mandalorian fan you can't go wrong with Mando. Either game you choose will eventually lose it's appeal and the good thing is once it does lose its appeal-you can trade it for another game. I would recommend getting some good time on Mando(in my top 5 right now) and when it gets stale-trade it for a Godzilla. For me I did not grow up playing with big plastic Godzilla toys or watching horrible movies, but I did live and breath Star Wars my entire life-still have my Star Wars sheets. For me Mando>Godzilla

#10 2 years ago

Not sure I would recommend Mando for someones first machine? It does not play like a standard layout and feels choppy compared to some well flowing games. Games like Mando, and Halloween feel completely different than playing most games and it is the unique layout that attracts many who have grown tired of typical layouts. Owning lots of cookie-cutter games has me searching for something unique and different but if it was my first game-I may recommend more of a standard layout? So I change my opinion-go with a Godzilla and get it out of your system and then trade for a Mando or something else later?

-BTW I think Eddy is a genius and Mando is a masterpiece. The rotating upper pf is really a fun unique feature and it helps break up the standard game play. I thought Jurassic Park's unique flowing layout was epic upon release and now it feels repetitive to me and just average. I have a feeling the excitement for Godzilla layout will be the same-this is the best thing since sliced bread turned into meh. My Mando gets 10x the plays of Jurassic Park sitting next to it-so there is that.

#11 2 years ago

I own both. Godzilla hands down.

#12 2 years ago

With all due respect you own a Mando Pro and thus you really are not experiencing the true game design with rotating upper pf(like playing Shadow without Battlefield feature). I would also take a Godzilla over a Mando Pro, sorry but Premium/LE is the way to go for Mando.

#13 2 years ago

My experience with owning Mando LE: Mando is a tough shooter because of tight windowed targets. Dwight Sullivan and team added Challenge mode in code version 0.98. This mode is a shortcut to the Encounter wizard mode and requires a good sense of shooting for the tight right side turns, ramps and scoop. It's good practice for that. There are SDTMs from the U-turn return and the Razor Crest middle shot. Flipper cradling seems to be mandatory on Mandalorian for lining up tight shots. There are long pauses in the game for video play. My 8 year old plays it constantly and is better at the game than I am, he likes the challenge. It has opened up his interest in general for pinball. Not sure Godzilla would have done that on its own. Coupled with a fan layout pin, that has more open shots, it is a good complement. I have it coupled with MMR. If it will be your only pin, the swap sell/trade advice here and buy what you like better now is the best approach IMO. I have not played Godzilla yet, but it looks like more flowy except for the magnet. If you or the other players like uninterrupted flow better that might be the best choice for you. Personally the Godzilla theme is not my bag, but Mando is, for my whole family it is. GL.

Edit: Maybe for others who have a lineup, Mando coupled more flowy Godzilla is a good choice.

#14 2 years ago

You need a poll

Godzilla

#15 2 years ago

I own the Mandalorian Premium and have a Godzilla Premium arriving next week. I have played Godzilla at both thw Pinball Expo and Midwest Gaming Festival. There is no comparison. Godzilla wins by a mile. Mando is a decent pin. It’s reasonably challenging but it just doesn’t have the factors that make it a truly great pin. Honestly, I like my Jurassic Park and Munsters far more. If you love the show and theme maybe it puts you over the top, but for pure game play and toys Godzilla destroys it like it did Tokyo.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I had a Mando LE. I couldn’t sell it fast enough. The shots just aren’t satisfying. The right ramp is terrible. The scoop has bounce outs. The left ramp has bounce backs when the diverter drops. The upper play field is a gimmicky joke. The right orbit shots hit the child post and bounce back. The up/down scoop has lots of rejects.
I love the Mando theme. I’m a huge fan. I was psyched to get the game. I tried to force myself to like it. I lied to myself for a while. It’s just a really poorly designed game IMO. The theme, sound, code, and light show are incredible. But the damn layout design…. It’s just bad.
Godzilla on the other hand is an incredible layout. Keith Elwin is a damn genius with his layout and playfield design. This game is a top notch shooter with some the best toys I think stern has ever put out. The code still needs some work, but it’s pretty damn good so far.
I would highly recommend Godzilla over Mando. It’s just a better shooter. Forget the theme. I’ve never even seen a Godzilla film and I still love this game.

I had a chance to play a Mando LE not long ago. Feel the same. Theme is great but gameplay is a let down. There are some positives but they did not outweigh the negatives. Worst for me was that shot up the middle with the dangling target. Shot is easy and not very satisfying. You end up shooting it a lot and getting easy mb's. Still a decent game but expected better.

I have not played Godzilla yet but love what I see so far. Can't wait to play it.

#17 2 years ago

Where's the poll? A versus thread gotta have a poll right???

#18 2 years ago

Absolute no brainer: Godzilla.

Mando is for Star Wars addicts only. Unless you really, really, REALLY love shooting up the middle.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

You should attach a poll to this post, so you will be able to see more clearly that Godzilla kicks a$s and takes names over Mandalorian for anyone other than the most die-hard Star Wars Universe fan.

I had a Mando premium on order and ended up settling with a pro......no complaints. I have a Godzilla Premium on order. I played Shredso's Godzilla LE the other night........wow what an impressive pin!!

After playing both there is no comparison, Godzilla 100% and I am a die hard Star Wars fan. Godzilla layout, toys, sounds, music and theme are just fantastic. I haven't played a Godzilla pro but it seems like a premium/LE is the way to go. I can't wait for mine. Mando is fun but not a keeper

#20 2 years ago

Godzilla easily. Godzilla actually feels like a true world under glass with multiple miniature interactive items spread throughout the playfield. The breaking bridge, moving skyscraper and Mecha Godzilla are all interactive and to scale compared to the rest of the playfield.

The choice and size of toys on Mando seems odd. Why is there a giant Mando playfield head that rotates with lights on Mandos head? Who knows. Why is there a giant hanging target from the Razercrest ship that itself is smaller then the Mando head mini playfield? Who knows. Why does baby Yoda do nothing? Again who knows, it's all just odd.

#21 2 years ago

Hello. Several suggestions to add a poll to this thread. Sorry I don’t know how to do that but if you do feel free to add it in. Thanks for all the great feedback so far.

#22 2 years ago

I tend to follow my own path and do not follow the sheep. I can tell you this after playing a dozen games on Godzilla-it makes me want to never hear BOC Godzilla song ever again-like nails on a chalk board. I also am known for having odd taste in machines(so don't listen to me). Case in point-I would rather have and own a Stern IJ instead of the classic Williams IJ machine(the horror). Play both machines-decide which one you like better and don't follow the sheep. When I first got into the hobby I was only interested in what others thought-now I give two shits what others think. Keeping an open mind is key with so many preferences

#23 2 years ago

Nobody talking about the rotating upper pf on Mando? Has everyone played the Pro and written this masterpiece off prematurely?

I honestly think the upper pf is refreshing fun and new. If you think it is just shooting up the middle then you are missing out on what it is all about. Sorry if I sound like a fanboy about Mando, but it is a game that has completely surprised me and is a game I cannot stop playing. I will get off my Mando soapbox now

#24 2 years ago

Which theme do you love out of the two? I've played Mando pro & LE, fun game easy to start multi ball, great vids on the screen. If you love Mando theme you'll likely be happy. I've only played Godzilla pro but after playing it, I think I would get Godzilla over Mando. For me when I start Godzilla multi ball and the Godzilla song from Blue Öyster Cult starts I get a huge smile on my face. Plus for me it's a better shooter. So if you love the Godzilla theme you'll likely be happy. If you love both themes and have the space get both

#25 2 years ago

Played Mando pro and Godzilla Pro on the same day. Mando is not even pinball IMO, its an atrocity. Godzilla, hands down.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Nobody talking about the rotating upper pf on Mando? Has everyone played the Pro and written this masterpiece off prematurely?

Pointless novelty that is not fun, whether pro or premium. Upper playfields: people clamor for them, but they almost all suck. Stop demanding them people! For the good of pinball!!! Just buy a Halloween and enjoy the 5 upper playfields and leave the rest of pinball to us please.

The entire game is shooting up the middle, and then trying to have a decent multiball.

The game is a stiff.

Glad you like it though. Clearly it's not a game for the sheeple!!!

#27 2 years ago

Mando for sure.
Godzilla is okay, but the Elwin fanboys don’t see any flaws. If you own all 3 of Elwin’s games, you’ll realize they are all extremely similar.
He’s addicted to 3rd flipper off-center loops, like a mini Lawlor!

#28 2 years ago

Owned both LE's - Godzilla...... no question and its not even close - epic game and is Sterns best to date (their Medievel Madness in terms of overall pinball experience) - its just really fun to play again and again! and its only on code .80.......

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Clearly it's not a game for the sheeple

No not a game for the sheeple-warning do not follow my path

I will say this-I thought the game was garbage upon release as I hate upper play fields with a passion. Most uppers are gimmicky, but this one I feel does take skill and strategy and is not a gimmick. Trying to keep the ball alive and hit targets has been really enjoyable(different strokes for different folks). I think if people played a well dialed in Premium/LE Mando they may have a different opinion. Man does this thread bring me Deja Vu, reminds me of all the sheeple who thought Jurassic Park and AIQ were the best games ever made-then months go by and you start to see them dumping on secondary market for the next best thing-hey look squirrel!

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

No not a game for the sheeple-warning do not follow my path
I will say this-I thought the game was garbage upon release as I hate upper play fields with a passion. Most uppers are gimmicky, but this one I feel does take skill and strategy and is not a gimmick. Trying to keep the ball alive and hit targets has been really enjoyable(different strokes for different folks). I think if people played a well dialed in Premium/LE Mando they may have a different opinion. Man does this thread bring me Deja Vu, reminds me of all the sheeple who thought Jurassic Park and AIQ were the best games ever made-then months go by and you start to see them dumping on secondary market for the next best thing-hey look squirrel!

AIQ is bad and was bad from the start. Don’t understand why anyone likes it. It has cool toys?

#31 2 years ago

Godzilla all day

#32 2 years ago

You should do a poll-so the three of us Mando fanboys can be heavily outweighed by all the Godzilla sheeple

#33 2 years ago

Poll added if I figured it out correctly. Happy voting.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

AIQ is bad and was bad from the start. Don’t understand why anyone likes it. It has cool toys?

How much have you played AIQ? The code is really complex, but once you understand the code the game is fantastic. Great layout, flow and shots - challenging. I personally love it.

In your opinion, what’s so bad about it?

#35 2 years ago

Godzilla
Personally
I've played all versions of Mando and only the pro of Godzilla.
The Pro of was Godzilla hands down better on theme and game play.
Looking forward to playing the Godzilla premium or better.

#36 2 years ago

So many unsubstantiated opinions....Pinside sometimes seems like the "middle school girls" of the pinball community.

As for the original post....play both and decide. They are VERY different games. Both will have decent resale value. I don't think either is a bad choice.

#37 2 years ago

I don't get you "play both and decide" types.

He asked for our opinion!!!

And our opinion is that Mando sucks and Godzilla rules.

Except for the three "critical thinkers" who like shooting up the middle endlessly and playing boring upper playfields over and over, proving that they are not bound by the conventions of the masses and the "hive mind!"

#38 2 years ago

Played both, Godzilla by a mile.

When I played the games, I look at the fun factor, layout, audio, visuals and most important code. With Godzilla Keith does almost all the rules exclusively and passes it down to his programmer to implement.

So deciding between Keith and Dwight here... Keith all day everyday, he is right there with Lyman!

Zilla will have tremendous staying power in any collection.

#39 2 years ago

I haven't played either, but voted anyway.

You're welcome.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from zh2oson:

I haven't played either, but voted anyway.
You're welcome.

He's doing his own research!

#41 2 years ago

Owned both and it's Godzilla hands down for me. Luckily distro was cool enough to swap Mando out for Godzilla after Mando was delivered and played, it took me 70 games to decide.

#42 2 years ago

I have a Mando Pro and am waiting for my Godzilla Pro. I expect that Godzilla won't be a let-down, looks like a great deal of fun.

That being said, I would be hard pressed to sell my Mando. Yes I'm a Star Wars nerd, yes I watched Mandalorian, yes I really liked the series.

The reason I like mando is that it has some *very* tough shots that force me to play better, the game ties in well with movie/sound clips, plays VERY fast (much faster than Iron Maiden that lives right next to it.... Probably comparable to DeadPool Pro), and is very exciting for me when I get a good game going.

If I had to choose one or the other I'd probably go Godzilla, but only because it's the next new big thing and Godzilla sure seems to have a good following.

#43 2 years ago

Godzilla is not my fav Elwin, but after many games on both, feel it is better overall than Mando at this point.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't get you "play both and decide" types.

Because I think most new people want to know what others think of games they are considering buying. Then when they get more experienced they find out they have their own tastes and they don’t align with what the masses think. Then they get what they like.

It skips a step. Just play and buy what YOU like. It’s pointless not to do that.

Had I simply listened to what the masses felt about particular games, I’d own a Scared Stiff and zero gottliebs. Woof.

#45 2 years ago

It’s just that If people wanted to play both and decide and didn’t want our opinions they wouldn’t ask our opinions, right? “Play both and decide” is a weird answer when someone asks for an opinion on which game is better.

It’s also possible play both and also solicit opinions and then decide.

But I digress; Mando is awful. The worst game to happen for tournament streams in a while!

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s just that If people wanted to play both and decide and didn’t want our opinions they wouldn’t ask our opinions, right?

I fully believe most of these posts are from an excited noob that hasn’t owned that many games. I did the exact same stuff. Nothing more. Once you buy and sell a bunch, you stop asking others what they like, because it no longer matters to you.

Or if you truly played both and like both. Flip a coin or let your family decide.

Also good to remember that this isn’t a forever choice. Buy either, play it until bored, then get the other game.

#47 2 years ago

I have the LE of both, and I love Mando, but it's not Godzilla. Zilla wins that contest heads up every time.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I fully believe most of these posts are from an excited noob that hasn’t owned that many games. I did the exact same stuff. Nothing more. Once you buy and sell a bunch, you stop asking others what they like, because it no longer matters to you.
Or if you truly played both and like both. Flip a coin or let your family decide.
Also good to remember that this isn’t a forever choice. Buy either, play it until bored, then get the other game.

Exactly. Nobody is getting married to these games and there’s no prenup. If it don’t work out, sell it or trade it.

Just try to avoid the noob trap of
Spending $1500 on mods you’ll never get back.

#49 2 years ago

I haven't played zilla yet, but I have played a lot of Mando premium and its just not very good. Godzilla is an easy choice imo

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

With all due respect you own a Mando Pro and thus you really are not experiencing the true game design with rotating upper pf(like playing Shadow without Battlefield feature). I would also take a Godzilla over a Mando Pro, sorry but Premium/LE is the way to go for Mando.

With all due respect, this is not really at all true. The rotating playfield isn't a good feature and the Prem/LE removes a great skill shot that the Pro has. Either way, Godzilla Pro is a better game than all trim levels of Mando.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
$ 125.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
PINBALLPICKERS

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

7,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lansing, KS
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

9,000 (OBO)
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-vs-mandalorian and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.