(Topic ID: 315984)

Godzilla “Tokyo Neon” sign mod (*extended run*)

By stumblor

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,685 posts
  • 870 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by stumblor
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0418 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif
4D303C86-2ED7-4EEA-BE5C-EE208E7708F6 (resized).png
IMG_1207 (resized).jpeg
E8FA8940-74A5-4C68-B634-BA9458D4FF7A (resized).jpeg
B7B0490C-C214-4E12-8258-D1B7D522ABC6 (resized).jpeg
20230420_215504 (resized).jpg
instructions (resized).jpg
20230419_230748 (resized).jpg
20230419_230605 (resized).jpg
20230419_230459 (resized).jpg
20230419_230555 (resized).jpg
BA6EFEF6-CA4A-4020-AB0A-5256C8FD6B06 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #366 A few notes on the ESP8266 controller being used Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #396 WiFi Config - Quick Start Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #398 ZMeny discusses the sign mod on his podcast. Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #442 Documentation Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #664 Updated QR code and links to all documentation Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #881 Final list cutoff - 4th NOVEMEBER 2022 Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #1133 Firmware 1.1 and how to set the right sign to be individually lit Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stumblor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

269 posts in this topic match your search for posts by stumblor. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

Hi everyone - my name is Davey from Stumblor Pinball. Hopefully, a few of you will know me already and are familiar with the mod work I’ve done. Mostly I’ve been focused on Creech, with mods such as the Chase Echo (a redesigned chase board) and Move Your Snackbar (a lighting mod for Swinks Snackbar). More recently I’ve been focused on Lollypops (reactive LED lighting for pop bumpers and slingshots) and Pinpoint (a WPC sound sniffing mod development kit). I’ve been really fortunate with the support I’ve had both in the UK and abroad - everyone has been super positive and its that enthusiasm which drives me forward. High fives!

Around two weeks ago I received my first ever NIB - a Godzilla prem. Jeez Louise what a game. The layout, shots, rules and overall aesthetic is just on another level and since its arrival I’ve been absolutely addicted to it. My personal life is suffering as a result.

I feels for you bro, but get to the point

J85M recently got in touch with me wondering if I could take a look at the signs in Godzilla. His thought was that a ‘Tokyo’ style neon sign would fit perfectly with the theme. This instantly got my creative juices flowing (ew) so I immediately did what all great designers do - hit up google images to find some signs to blatantly copy.

pasted_image? (resized).jpegpasted_image? (resized).jpeg

Sexy

Super sexy

Dial it back a few notches please

So what is it?

The idea is this - design a 3D, Tokyo style, RGB LED lit sign, with Japanese lettering to indicate which mode was currently running, and use it to replace the existing signs in Godzilla. The lettering would be transparent, baffled from the front and lit from the back so that it appeared like a neon sign. The right side of the sign would be reverse lit acrylic with english so all us Gaijin’s would know what the hell is going on.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Those letters on the left are supposed to say ‘Battle’, ‘Power’ and ‘Friend’ in Japanese but please if there are any Japanese speakers in the room and I’m wrong please keep it to yourself as I really don’t wanna know. At least it’s not a tattoo that says ‘wanker’ right?

The electronics that drive the whole shebang is a variation of my Lollypops board, which means that each individual letter, the neon border, and the right hand sign are all individually controlled and lit, and best of all are 100% configurable over wifi, so you can have whatever colours and patterns you like - and don’t need to know a lick of programming to do it. I usually stick to pinks and ice blues because that’s my thing, but if you want them in red and green, and flashing like a maniac when triggered - you can totally do that. Personally that would make me start frothing at the mouth, but hey, you be you.

The way I have it setup is that when the mod detects one of the inserts is flashing, it fires off two triggers - one that starts a pattern on the corresponding character and one that does a ‘fire’ pattern for a few seconds on the neon border. Better explained visually I think:

The ‘at rest’ pattern you can see is running the ‘glitch’ pattern, which is meant to look like a slightly failing neon sign (like in my ‘Move Your Snackbar’ mod) however like everything else this can be changed to whatever you like.

What about when the GI turns off?

One of the really atmospheric aspects of GZ is the lighting. especially when the GI turns off. I’ve built a GI monitoring mechanism that allows the mod to pick up when the GI turns off, and dims the sign accordingly. If you’d prefer it to be on all the time, the GI monitoring can be disabled.

What about the flasher?

Yep, the flasher is incorporated into the back the unit.

What’s it made out of?

The sign itself will be produced in a black, high detail 3D print material. The PCB is a double sided WiFi enabled affair, with 56 x WS2812-2020 LEDs. The transparent insert used for the Japanese characters is transparent resin, and the signage to the right is reverse printed UV 2mm acrylic.

Installation is simple and should take around 20 minutes. Everything plugs into existing connections, so no soldering or croc clips required. Power comes from the 12V ticket dispenser connection, CN11 on cabinet node 1. This is the same powering mechanism used by PinMonk’s flipper fans, but we will provide a fused splitter board if you plan to run both.

What if I don’t like your acrylic design?

There’s 3 to choose from, and every kit will come with all three.

Can I see it in the actual machine?

Sure!

And some gameplay:

How much?

Price is going to be around £179 give or take (approx $220 USD) plus delivery, and I’m hoping to start mailing out toward the end of June. No pre payment required, just reply in the thread and I’ll stick you on the list.

The first run is only going to be a batch of 20. I might do more later, but this is it for now. If this is proves popular I’ll do the other signs (and buildings maybe) as well, four in total.

EDIT (29 May 22) Well 20 was never going to do it. We're looking at a much bigger initial run now, capped in a few days time. Massive thank you for the support! Still looking to do the other GZ signage later on down the road, 4 in total.

EDIT (6th Jun 22) First run of 250 is now closed, however the overflow list is already 100 strong so looking very likely that we'll do a second run at some point. Let me know if you want to be added.

EDIT (27th Jun 22) Few weeks to go before we start production. Only waiting on the outer shell print and the PCBs. 2nd run has about 80 places left.

Any questions or comments, feel free to hit me up!

Davey

--------------------------------------------------------

We're taking names for the extended run!

Check our progress (and your position) on the website:

https://stumblorpinball.com/products/gtn1

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Looks cool, put me on the list.

Quoted from Noma2017:

Please put me on the list.

Gotcha both, thanks very much!

#14 1 year ago

Crikey it's going off!

All above added to the list (thanks very much!). That's 11 spoken for.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Blakester:

Add us to the list please

Both down - thanks again!

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from CloudHearts:

Looks incredible! Put on me on the list.

Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Looks great..please add me to the list..I want one

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from OilGuy:

Looks great. Please add me to the list.

Quoted from trueno92:

this mod is so well done. i wish i had a game to put it in!

Honestly, GZ is the best pinball I've ever played. It's just so much fun. Track one down!

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Days:

Please put me also on the list! this is good stuff!

Gotcha, and thanks!

That's 18. in 50 minutes. We're gonna need a bigger list :-/

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The mod looks really cool and appears to be well made but isn't anyone else concerned about how it effects gameplay and your ability to quickly determine what is lit? My eyes are trained on the colors of the current sign and I can tell what is lit on a quick glance. This might be too distracting or require you to actually stare at the sign to determine what is lit or unlit because of all of the lighting effects taking place. Cosmetically the mod looks great but I'd be interested more in the usability.

Great feedback, and I 100 percent agree!

What I would say is that the neon animation was designed so that it only fires when there is a change in state, meaning that it should actually alert you only when something needs to be done. Each of the characters can also be configured to whatever color you like, so if you're used to the existing colors, you can reproduce that. I've really tried to think about these details. I definitely don't want there to be a loss in gameplay. That's not what I'm about.

Just out to dinner with my family so will respond properly soon. Thanks so much for the overwhelming response, I'm humbled!

#99 1 year ago

Holy guacamole. So thats 82 just from the thread, and I haven't even gone through my PMs, emails, and (gulp) facebook messenger PMs (how even?). Seriously humbled, and super stoked. Great to see some familiar faces in the list too. Massive thanks to everyone.

Everyone above this post is on this list. Going to see how things pan out over the next few days, but going to try and cover everyone. Onwards!

#101 1 year ago

I'm considering it!!

Not really. My wife would kill me.

#155 1 year ago

You beautiful, crazy pinsiders! We're at 143 now and it hasn't even been 24 hours. I'm..... blown away. Thanks again for the huge outpouring of support.

Everyone above this line is on the list!

Quoted from Jamesays:

So I will help you keep track thats 2 guys out and everyone else with or without godzilla IN

Classic

Quoted from Lordanubis:

Please add me to the list of all four!

Thanks so much for the support, however let's leave those future lists for when an announcement is made. Not sure I can handle too many more lists atm!!

Quoted from joelbob:

Now you need to make a package deal that includes the lights for the pop bumper as well. That looks sick in your videos!

Thanks so much. We've done some unofficial rumblings in the mod thread about that, but will do something more formal in the upcoming months.

#167 1 year ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

stumblor
that mod looks great, it is outstanding. I have never been to Japan, but the look reminds me of some nightlife hot spots in Hong Kong. I made hundreds of fotos because i was so intrigued.
Does your mod indicate the 3 led states of the original sign? 'Off', 'On', 'Blinking'? Or is it a one-time effect once triggered by a change of state?
E.g. Battle is lit: i like to light battle and not collect it immediately, during some game progress. After 5 minutes, can i see if it is lit?
Edit: there probably is not an ON state

Haha you did have me second guessing myself mate !!

Yeah so I will check the manual to be 100% sure, but my understanding is that the scoop sign is only ever off or flashing, except when playing lighting patterns where it does all kinds of crazy. The other signs will be different - the lock for instance will be lit to indicate when you've 'achieved' a lock. The insert detection for the mod is all done in code anyway, so if we needed to add additional actions to differentiate between flashing and lit, its totally doable without any hardware changes. We'll certainly need to do that for the other signs.

I also like to not collect battle until I've lit Ally via the jets, so that use case is totally covered. Everything stays lit until you collect.

Everyone above is one the list, we're punching 160 now. Just... insane. The plan is to see how things go over the next 3 days and then cap the run at some figure, with the possibility of a later run somewhere down the line (maybe, if I survive), but going to try and sort everyone out.

Again, massive thanks to everyone for the support. I'm riding high today.

#202 1 year ago

Well. What a crazy 24 hours it's been. Feeling overwhelmed from all the enthusiasm and support, not to mention all the text messages and phone calls and emails from people who just want to chat about the craziness and feel as stoked about it as I do. Pinball is awesome.

192 and counting, looks like 200 will probably be hit today. So I was like, only 1000% percent out on my 20 run estimate? I'm sure that boils down to humility and not bad planning. We'll have to set a cap at some point - 250 on the first run most likely. Let's see how the weekend pans out.

Obviously, massive thanks to everyone. This one means a lot.

#228 1 year ago

We're currently at 222 (thankyou!) so going to cap the first run at 250. I'll keep taking names after that anyway just to cover any dropouts and/or potential second runs, assuming I make it through the next couple of months alive and still married.

Everyone above, you're in!

#233 1 year ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

So I don’t know what you do in your day gig, but in all my years here I don’t think I’ve ever seen a mod catch fire like this from the go. Certainly not one in this price range, that’s for sure. Ramp up to scale and become the next great mod shop and take our $$.

I would love to mate, and am certainly considering my options. I'm a web developer by day (which is why a lot of my mods steer in that direction) and while its nice to have a regular pay cheque to fall back on there's only so long you can stay up till 2 in the morning doing assembly and then be up the next day cutting sandwiches and taking the kids to school before starting work. Certainly having a release like this shifts the balance for me in a massive way.

Quoted from DeeGor:

Gouveia's mod's are similar in demand. His Witch and Monkey mods for WOZ were really cool and demand big bucks. He limits his runs.

Love Gouveia! His latest IMDN Sarcophagus mod is another screamer. Amazing talent.

#236 1 year ago

All above are on. Thanks again!

18 left before the run is capped.

#243 1 year ago
Quoted from superNoid:

I have my Premium on order and likely won't get until the end of the calendar year. When I do though, I'm interested. I've favorited the thread and will hopefully able to get one in the future?

Can't say for sure at this point sorry, as we'll be focused on doing the other signs after getting this run done

Quoted from TikiTilt:

If I am not too late I would like to get on the list. Works on pro as well?

Just in time - yep works on all flavours.

All above are IN.

#246 1 year ago

Everyone above is IN. Ten spots left!

#256 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Yep, check out Davey’s post above #243.
Right ramp sign is next, hopefully I’m okay saying that, pretty sure Davey has mentioned it here or in another thread.

Yep all fine Jon - the right ramp sign (and building) is next, but totally focused on getting this one done and out the door first before we even start looking at those.

Quoted from tktlwyr:

Hopefully, they’re designed to be implemented with the Mezel buildings.

I can 100% confirm that this won't be happening.

#260 1 year ago

First run is now CAPPED!

250 since Friday. I'm just.. completely blown away. I know I keep saying it but there it is. Massive, MASSIVE thanks and appreciation to everyone for the support. It's been a whirlwind few days, planning how to scale to a run of this size and do it in a reasonable amount of time. At the moment my supply lines are all looking okay - suppliers have committed to the numbers and PCB parts stocks look alright too. I'll keep everyone updated as much as possible throughout the process. Assembly pics are always fun. I'm hoping that I can still keep to my end of June timelines to start contacting people at the start of the list.

For those that missed the action over the last few days, feel free to jump on the thread and ask to be put on the list. There are always some level of list dropoff so you might get lucky on this run, or on a future run, we'll see. I'll monitor the thread and keep track of things in that respect.

Think that's it for now, except to say.... PINBALL IS RAD.

#268 1 year ago
Quoted from zucot:

Are you taking names for the right ramp sign?

Not yet - we'll wait until we do the proper announcement.

#287 1 year ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

You kid, but I heard a rumor that Gary Stern is placing an order with Davey/stumblor for more than a thousand of them. They don't have a problem waiting for Davey's mod, because his backlog on it is starting to look as long as their own backlog on games.

Now hang on a second - this is pinside! This aint the place for unsubstantiated rumours!

#329 1 year ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Is there a place where we can check if we're on the list?

Hi - no I don't publish the lists, however if I have upvoted your post asking to be on, you are on!

Bit of a waiting game at the moment as I wait for all the parts to start rolling in. In the meantime I have been refining and testing the code. Hopefully, I should have a more interesting update in the next two weeks!

#331 1 year ago
Quoted from djsolzs:

What’s the likelihood of a second run?

I think it's safe to say we'll do a second run, as there are almost 100 people on the overflow list already. The response has been phenomenal, so I want to try and sort everyone out if I can. Once I start assembly in a few weeks I should have a better idea on when that second run can happen.

The other priority while all this is going on is to start design work on the other signs.

#358 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Im gonna be that guy...
This sign is absolutely awesome, but that sign doesn't actually SAY anything comprehensible.
戦力 does mean like, battle strength, but having 友 after is like friend. Like battle power friend.
Kinda like how you see asians wearing shirts in English that say, maybe "let's fighting love." It sorta says something but it doesnt make sense.
ごめんなさい皆さん。この製品はめちゃくちゃすごいですけど、すこし紛らわしんだ。

Really appreciate the feedback on this, thanks! Actually, "Battle power friend" was exactly what I was going for, as it was supposed to represent the modes being lit (Kaiju Battle, Power Up, Summon Ally). However I can see how it could be read like that, especially considering that Japanese text is often read top to bottom. I did make jokes about not knowing in the first post but did have it confirmed from a few native speakers. I think the top character needs to be more of a square than a box, but that wouldn't work with the baffle

#359 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You really made me scroll all the way up that incredibly long opening post to hit the thumbs up button huh.

One of my current hobbies is making full scale LED 'neon' signs, and this is giving me some thoughts, really nicely done at this scale. Definitely a cut above most mods, great blend of design, interaction, and customization.

Hey Aurich, thanks so much! Massive fan of your work also so that really means a lot (your Metallica hammer is completely badass). Would love to see these Neon signs that you're making

#366 1 year ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

Love being able to see how much interest a quality mod like this can generate. GZ is so popular that there is a real market for quality mods (which is awesome...I love pimping out mine and getting rid of all that cheap'ish feeling look from the factory)
stumblor a quick question. When you get around to the other signs (probably 2024 with all the backlog of orders will you be able to use the same controller you use for the first sign to help keep costs down? All the signs need attention, and it would be great to (eventually) be able to swap them all out to the new look as a set without breaking the bank.

Hey mate this is an awesome question and one I've been thinking about a lot recently, especially with regards to the cost factor you mention.

Bit of a backstory first. The Tokyo Neon uses an ESP8266 controller, which was the precursor to the ESP32 (which tends to hog the headlines). While not as powerful as it's bigger brother, the ESP8266 has been my processor of choice for a while now. It's got enough grunt to handle multiple LED patterns, it's got WiFi, hasn't been impacted by the chip shortage (I have no idea why), and even though it's a bit more demanding with its bootup requirements, I've had it running nicely out in the field for long enough that I trust it, and have a mature codebase that supports it. What it tends to lack - is inputs and outputs (GPIO).

For this mod, we're currently using 4 inputs (+3 mode sensors +1 GI sensor) and 5 outputs (+3 mode characters +1 neon border +1 acrylic sign). When I looked at it the other day, I think there is still one more output I could use, which could potentially mean 6 outputs on the next mod, should it need it. Additionally, the outputs could be merged in code, since all are addressable anyway. I'd prefer not to do that, as it's a bit of a faff, and tbh I'm not sure we need to.

So long story short - I think it'll be the same processor

HOWEVER... the plan on the next one is slightly more grand, in that we intend to replace the entire rear right building, rather than just the sign itself. This will impact the cost for sure (larger print, more LED boards) but I'm hoping not by much. It's really hard to say at present - we haven't even had a chance to talk about it !

#382 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Forgot to ask, will this also work on the pro? Got so excited to get on the list and forgot to ask.

Yep, will work on all versions.

#396 1 year ago

It's been full steam ahead at this end, ordering parts, talking to suppliers, buying very large storage boxes. A few hiccups along the way (I had to reject the initial 750 acrylic prints I got back, which was an interesting conversation :-/ ) but everything is now looking more or less on track. I've found a new resin supplier in the UK who is going to work with me to introduce a bit more of an opaque mix into the Japanese characters/neon section, which should add even more LED diffusion and reduce spotting. Beta testers should also be getting the very first kits in a couple of days.

Unfortunately, a few parts now can't be delivered to me until mid July, so we're looking at around a 2 week delay to what was originally quoted for the first mods going out. Sorry about that. I'm super focused on getting everything looking as good as it can possibly be, so hopefully everyone is cool to wait just a little bit longer for a better end result. I'll keep the thread updated on progress as I go.

While we play the waiting game, here's a video I put together outlining the basics of the WIFI configuration. Sorry about my nasally voice - pollen count in the UK is at epic proportions right now so I'm mainlining cetirizine and enjoying the sun.

#398 1 year ago

Can't believe I missed this, but we were mentioned on the Pinball Show! Eeep!

Massive thanks to the awesome ZMeny for the spot and also to my man UVAJED who alerted me to it, and who has obviously got his finger way more on the pulse more than i do.

#401 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Strike that! I requested to be on the list but now see that my husband beat me to it by 8 days. We don’t need 2 so disregard this post.

No probs! It's nice when you have so much in common with your partner

#406 1 year ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

Count me in on the full building replacement as well when that happens. Sorry, I just love this mod and am really excited about it and the idea of the building being replaced!

Thanks so much, but we haven't started that list yet. When the time comes, I will let you know!

Quoted from Jackalwere:

Hey Davey, in case my PM gets lost in your swamped inbox, please add me to the second run. Thanks!

Hey Brian, thanks again for the support. I'm managing to keep on top of the posts and PMs for the moment, but really its the calm before the storm while I wait for everything to arrive and do all the QA. Mid July is when its all going to go slightly bananas

#409 1 year ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

This is awesome! Easy prediction: TWIPY for best mod of 2022.
Unless the building surpasses it

Wouldn't that be something. Pipped at the post by my own mod!

#412 1 year ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

New building!? How did I miss this news? Any more details available on this?

No details yet, other than it will be in the same style as this one, only larger to accommodate the whole right rear building (we'll be doing the others at the back too, in due course). We've been hashing out some rough plans, but my general feeling is to stick as close as possible to Yeti's designs, because they're freakin rad:

We'll probably have something ready to show toward the end of these runs. The new mod will probably have its own thread, which I'll link to in this one.

Got some ideas? Let us know! Can't promise that we'll use them, but you never know

#416 1 year ago

Is this going to be a pro only mod?

No we're talking about the noodle bar building back right - same on the pro, prem and le. These are the ones we're looking to do

1. Tokyo Neon (Plastic 8 511-5930-08)
2. Noodle Bar (Right Building 511-5961-01)
3. Cinema (Is it tho?) (Back Panel 500-2560-00)
4. Subway (Left Ramp 500-2561-01)

The only one which will be prem/le only is #3 since that is only a decal on the pro, the fixing points don't exist on the backpanel, and the mod will have a big hole in it for the VUK. All the others will be for all versions.

Pretty sure Lior is doing a building mod for the middle Drake building, so might just let him focus on that one. But who knows

#418 1 year ago

Cant wait! These will be awesome. I will make sure I keep an eye out so I can get on the list faster then the sign mod. (I think I am 217)

219, but who's counting.

Just kidding, I totally am.

#426 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

So the good thing about the printed artwork buildings is the lighting. The building in the image you shared is just one color, but its realistic because he added the highlights/shadows.On the other hand, just 3d print a building out of a single color resin/plastic it's going to be very flat because miniature scale objects don't have as dramatic reflection/shadows as real life objects. For the few people who know how to paint the the lighting effects, a good building sculpt can look great. Otherwise, it will just have a cheap look to it. The mezel mod building replacements use a few colors, but it still looks very flat and unrealistic (not trying to bash them, its a hard problem to solve).
Curious what your approach will be. Your sign doesn't have this problem really since its a thin bezel (although i will probably do some edge hightlighting and maybe some weathering effects on mine)

This is really insightful, and something I have been giving a lot of thought to over the last few weeks. My prints up to this point have used PA12, which is great in the sense that it gives a really nice, slightly textured finish - however as you point out, can run the risk of being too flat and inorganic when used for a larger sculpt like the buildings. There are a couple of directions we could go with it, and will be reviewing those over the next few months, both in terms of the final result quality and what the cost implications of that might be (how far do you go?). As always, the main priority is to make sure that is sits nicely within the context of the game.

Really interested to see what painting effects you end up doing! My son has been dry brushing a few of my protos to give a weathering effect (he is just starting out with miniature painting So maybe you will give him some great ideas.

#431 1 year ago

J85M and Colywobbles fix up look sharp - time to do some beta testing!

Everything still on track for mid July at the moment. In the meantime I've been refining the code, ironing out a few niggles, and testing like crazy. Second run is filling up - still around 100 places left (out of 250). Absolutely incredible. I'm super happy, but at the same time laser focused on living up to that expectation.

Pinball is rad!

#436 1 year ago
Quoted from Sehested:

Wow even the packaging looks completly pro! Keep up the great work and look forward for all these post on the process. It’s fun to follow your process

Quoted from wywin:

I'm convinced with the slick packaging and presentation. Put me in for the second run please!

Thanks fellas. I sampled about 5 different suppliers to arrive at these ones. Boxes were getting rejecting because they weren't black enough, or for having slightly wonky folds. Totally over the top and OCD I know, but it's the little things right.

#442 1 year ago

Happy Friday!

For anyone who wants to get ahead of the game, here's a link to the documentation. If you see anything that is confusing, misspelled, borderline derogatory or historically revisionist, please speak up!

Godzilla "Tokyo Neon" sign mod - documentation

Just a note that some of the images still need to be changed to use the actual production boards, cables etc.

1 week later
#459 1 year ago

Getting very close to build time now! All the the incidental parts are now in hand, the resin characters are here, graphic acrylics arriving next week... just waiting now for the cabling, 3D outer shell, and the PCBs, which are all about 2 weeks away. I've started to assemble what I can to try and get a jump on things as much as possible. Already planning some changes to the workshop to make assembly and packing easier for the next one. I needs me a production line!

I've had a few people contacting me asking to confirm whether they are on the list, so for clarity, here is the full breakdown:

1ST RUN =====================================
J85M.............................................. 1
Colywobbles....................................... 2
Rhoades45......................................... 3
aaron.joseph.nielson.............................. 4
twenty84.......................................... 5
Noma2017.......................................... 6
Otto110........................................... 7
moTiv8............................................ 8
zucot............................................. 9
Oneangrymo........................................ 10
Jamesays.......................................... 11
K9Marshal......................................... 12
delt31............................................ 13
Blakester......................................... 14
MarklarD.......................................... 15
CloudHearts....................................... 16
ulmpharmd......................................... 17
mrossman5......................................... 18
OilGuy............................................ 19
Dias.............................................. 20
Apollo18.......................................... 21
Sixtieskid........................................ 22
Dexter............................................ 23
LeMansFan......................................... 24
Mtg381............................................ 25
MajorDrainer...................................... 26
tripp............................................. 27
tktlwyr........................................... 28
tktlwyr........................................... 29
mstang01.......................................... 30
TonyVrd........................................... 31
Pdxmonkey......................................... 32
truemagoo102...................................... 33
NightTrain........................................ 34
DeeGor............................................ 35
Tyamry............................................ 36
Gogojohnnyquack................................... 37
jkashani.......................................... 38
arcadem........................................... 39
mslow............................................. 40
dts............................................... 41
TOOLPRO........................................... 42
matlynch91........................................ 43
PoopsMagee........................................ 44
Gribbs............................................ 45
Sethman........................................... 46
Bigdaddy1000...................................... 47
Sorokyl........................................... 48
Jkaping........................................... 49
bradczernik1...................................... 50
Isochronic_Frost.................................. 51
Slapfighter....................................... 52
mbrave77.......................................... 53
mummite........................................... 54
Chopper36......................................... 55
BlueIrocGuy....................................... 56
LTG............................................... 57
gmanrulz46........................................ 58
billyboy.......................................... 59
ZMeny............................................. 60
Apinjunkie........................................ 61
Palmer............................................ 62
dgposter.......................................... 63
DeathHimself...................................... 64
riggy469.......................................... 65
medic7000......................................... 66
Sixxin............................................ 67
MikeHogue......................................... 68
kidchrisso........................................ 69
FalconDriver...................................... 70
TheGunnett........................................ 71
Jkush18........................................... 72
UnholySpectacle................................... 73
whoknowsgoi....................................... 74
EarlGrey.......................................... 75
Stevemoerke....................................... 76
javagrind888...................................... 77
Chris25810........................................ 78
Gooch............................................. 79
crwjumper......................................... 80
Beyndtstng........................................ 81
bbble............................................. 82
qbass187.......................................... 83
Ch4p3l............................................ 84
ozno.............................................. 85
Charliew65........................................ 86
Concretehardt..................................... 87
CashMoney......................................... 88
lucielentas....................................... 89
JayLar............................................ 90
ultimategameroom.................................. 91
Ghostcri.......................................... 92
neverahighscore................................... 93
marksf123......................................... 94
Zora.............................................. 95
Rtarmstrong....................................... 96
DrSpatula......................................... 97
PalmettoPinworks.................................. 98
Bocaraton1........................................ 99
Vino.............................................. 100
visualmagic....................................... 101
paragon........................................... 102
atg1469........................................... 103
jlaham24.......................................... 104
Mookie............................................ 105
Axel Schacher..................................... 106
Silverpaolo....................................... 107
tosman33.......................................... 108
Swm.productions................................... 109
Pinzzz............................................ 110
PinDeadHead....................................... 111
Nihonmasa......................................... 112
McDoom............................................ 113
joelbob........................................... 114
Sorokyl........................................... 115
RPZ............................................... 116
db666............................................. 117
pingod............................................ 118
thewool........................................... 119
Strummy........................................... 120
sepins............................................ 121
sepins............................................ 122
arzoo............................................. 123
smassa............................................ 124
BallyKISS1978..................................... 125
Dantesmark........................................ 126
BOB-G............................................. 127
friscopinball..................................... 128
St0n3PiraT3....................................... 129
Amused_to_Death................................... 130
Rcarpen22......................................... 131
TheSaint025....................................... 132
Lordanubis........................................ 133
jamesmc........................................... 134
brett............................................. 135
Tuna_Delight...................................... 136
DanielJDougherty.................................. 137
Gman3............................................. 138
Gman3............................................. 139
VanSkalen......................................... 140
Gizmonic.......................................... 141
rvdv.............................................. 142
fuseholder........................................ 143
bustinfeelsgood................................... 144
bsobie............................................ 145
smokinjoe73....................................... 146
RikeIsland........................................ 147
gambit3113........................................ 148
calprog........................................... 149
rapidraw.......................................... 150
Dave Bishop....................................... 151
Robotron9247...................................... 152
Supersprint....................................... 153
ToucanF16......................................... 154
Sako-TRG.......................................... 155
MGM2.............................................. 156
Genjuro........................................... 157
Lateralus......................................... 158
zeldarioid........................................ 159
xsonics2k2........................................ 160
blairan213........................................ 161
Spaghetti73....................................... 162
blubboman......................................... 163
Tarheel4985....................................... 164
Eagle14........................................... 165
rob3.............................................. 166
estrader.......................................... 167
aaron6920......................................... 168
Da_Topper......................................... 169
Pinz19............................................ 170
thekaiser82....................................... 171
Gonzo............................................. 172
May............................................... 173
ChipScott......................................... 174
neohalo........................................... 175
doghouse.......................................... 176
tdiddy............................................ 177
freddy............................................ 178
VeeMonroe......................................... 179
pinsplit.......................................... 180
chrismillsmusic................................... 181
BackFlipper....................................... 182
RebelGuitars...................................... 183
spidey............................................ 184
kempsuk........................................... 185
Hulkbuster........................................ 186
jeffpin64......................................... 187
thedarkknight77................................... 188
Hypercoaster...................................... 189
Hulkbuster........................................ 190
Rockbiter......................................... 191
PalmettoPinworks.................................. 192
VolitionFlipper................................... 193
Pinballpal........................................ 194
digitaldocc....................................... 195
wfumed2........................................... 196
Garbagemaster..................................... 197
leaffan67......................................... 198
GranpaDave........................................ 199
Munsters.......................................... 200
ray-dude.......................................... 201
Sehested.......................................... 202
Atlantis.......................................... 203
clearstar......................................... 204
Bangback.......................................... 205
Pinmeister........................................ 206
eharan............................................ 207
bigd1979.......................................... 208
flipper73......................................... 209
out_of_order...................................... 210
firefighter....................................... 211
6point5degrees.................................... 212
Dirk.............................................. 213
PinBalt........................................... 214
Alpha1............................................ 215
Original_jason_b.................................. 216
sroelens.......................................... 217
jbigdoggf......................................... 218
mufcmufc.......................................... 219
Only_Pinball...................................... 220
solid_snake....................................... 221
InvaderHouse...................................... 222
Skippy2904........................................ 223
Matt68061......................................... 224
10redzr1.......................................... 225
pinb1............................................. 226
MacJedi........................................... 227
newforestpinball.................................. 228
ianw.............................................. 229
Julian Hepworth................................... 230
MadNat............................................ 231
JazzBouche........................................ 232
bajm.............................................. 233
Starscream........................................ 234
thpletcher........................................ 235
phs4real.......................................... 236
6S3NC3............................................ 237
TikiTilt.......................................... 238
Pinballnl......................................... 239
HooperTriplett.................................... 240
LoserKid3......................................... 241
Whitenoise3000.................................... 242
pinwillie......................................... 243
ReadyPO........................................... 244
scottr............................................ 245
ORF............................................... 246
phottog........................................... 247
smokinhos......................................... 248
Spectreman........................................ 249
RoadQueen......................................... 250
2ND RUN =====================================
Ashram56.......................................... 251
jhagen............................................ 252
Gilberteric....................................... 253
sleepygtr......................................... 254
Mank.............................................. 255
NinJaBooT......................................... 256
radfordian3505.................................... 257
VindictiveX....................................... 258
TVsFrank.......................................... 259
Hamish............................................ 260
vdojaq............................................ 261
Bacomeista........................................ 262
enkiktd........................................... 263
epichoff.......................................... 264
rodcom............................................ 265
pinballpete....................................... 266
Plasma............................................ 267
playtwowin........................................ 268
Jfed.............................................. 269
Robo1............................................. 270
Lokust............................................ 271
Joker19........................................... 272
tonyf1965......................................... 273
kklank............................................ 274
Purdue............................................ 275
jake35............................................ 276
GeekedOnPinball................................... 277
rapidflipper...................................... 278
mkintaiwan........................................ 279
seebobbie......................................... 280
Strummy........................................... 281
dendoc............................................ 282
Deegs............................................. 283
Motorcitypinball.................................. 284
robnotto.......................................... 285
Withoutarms....................................... 286
lockeness......................................... 287
mbott1701......................................... 288
kool1............................................. 289
lockeness......................................... 290
27dnast........................................... 291
Pinbear........................................... 292
Method_Own........................................ 293
andrewket......................................... 294
TheAwesome23...................................... 295
ptrav1............................................ 296
jobowens.......................................... 297
ThirdFlipper...................................... 298
Gd2103............................................ 299
PBatt............................................. 300
djsolzs........................................... 301
jefryan........................................... 302
Teo76............................................. 303
gorgar007......................................... 304
Mattamoose........................................ 305
cpiel............................................. 306
pinballmlb........................................ 307
marioparty34...................................... 308
jeffspinballpalace................................ 309
MANTO1975......................................... 310
MT45.............................................. 311
toro1966.......................................... 312
victor............................................ 313
fooflighter....................................... 314
corster........................................... 315
Jvader............................................ 316
Utesichiban....................................... 317
Reginex........................................... 318
bitternerd........................................ 319
foskey8522........................................ 320
TheProgrammer..................................... 321
Capn12............................................ 322
Troutfarm......................................... 323
Jamieryan71....................................... 324
podolj............................................ 325
TheBeefSupreme.................................... 326
twhtalm........................................... 327
Pinball41......................................... 328
bigehrl........................................... 329
iceman44.......................................... 330
KidRichard........................................ 331
Flare............................................. 332
gripwhip.......................................... 333
Kebabman.......................................... 334
ShooterMcD........................................ 335
Bmanpin........................................... 336
Gritty............................................ 337
MJK-911........................................... 338
welbybergum....................................... 339
Kkoss24........................................... 340
Trumpanche........................................ 341
ThirdFlipper...................................... 342
red_rabbit........................................ 343
Ghostcri.......................................... 344
Cheeks............................................ 345
drmolitor......................................... 346
drewthegator...................................... 347
sleepless......................................... 348
DthebodyT......................................... 349
JLemire........................................... 350
TGov.............................................. 351
addams40.......................................... 352
kimzone........................................... 353
Pinballflare...................................... 354
GroggyFrogFace.................................... 355
ukengineer........................................ 356
simonwolstenholme................................. 357
ccbiggsoo7........................................ 358
dontpanicflip..................................... 359
D-Piddy........................................... 360
Twotimingtim...................................... 361
bestbrad.......................................... 362
jimsheffield...................................... 363
jimsheffield...................................... 364
kingau............................................ 365
Bacondaddy........................................ 366
Adelam............................................ 367
vgatchaman........................................ 368
Jedi_Gill......................................... 369
dniespod.......................................... 370
cbesenski......................................... 371
jagman............................................ 372
JToeps............................................ 373
haiderdj.......................................... 374
Jackalwere........................................ 375
kklank............................................ 376
80sMan............................................ 377
Swoods5688........................................ 378
El_Tizzle......................................... 379
Firechief......................................... 380
Myles32........................................... 381
fxdwg............................................. 382
Arcade............................................ 383
pinballpete....................................... 384
somehiebert....................................... 385
gliebig........................................... 386
MLarkin78......................................... 387
wywin............................................. 388
Antron77.......................................... 389
RedPlunger........................................ 390
bigdaddy07........................................ 391
PinWill333........................................ 392
Mojosan........................................... 393
Gotfrogs.......................................... 394
aeonblack......................................... 395
number_runner..................................... 396
DylanFan71........................................ 397
TKDalumni......................................... 398
Percula........................................... 399
Vegasbills........................................ 400
Vegasbills........................................ 401
Tastysirloin...................................... 402
Shuoink........................................... 403
ccbiggsoo7........................................ 404
Flake............................................. 405
damadczar......................................... 406
Nikko............................................. 407
Blenderhead....................................... 408
Trojanlaw......................................... 409
Mindcrime......................................... 410
Jay_Killjoy....................................... 411
jhoward1082....................................... 412
stuckey_t......................................... 413

I mean, 413 people. Just... insane. Thanks so much everyone for the incredible support. Aiming to close the 2nd run at 250 also (500 total) and likely won't do anymore after that, at least in the short term. As a (very) small outfit, I can really only manage one mod like this at a time, logistically it all gets too complicated and mistakes get made. Also I have to pretend to be a good husband and dad every now and again.

Expect some PMs very soon !

Added 21 months ago:

Updated list moved to the original post #1 - thanks!

#463 1 year ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

hehe, didn't see my name on that list, but I wasn't kidding on post #304 https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-tokyo-neon-sign-mod/page/7#post-6957589
I really do want one of these, so please add me to the list (bottom is fine )

Haha sure Scotty, sorry about that! I actually have a few people on the list tagged as ''confirm first before asking for money" - such is the way of an easy breezy mod list! Got you down, and thanks.

#466 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Let's put the family in family business. Put the wife and kids on assembly/fulfillment duty and get started on those other building/sign mods!

You joke, but I have been trying hard to convince them !! The kids are like, so in. My wife works quite high up in fashion - which is an industry in turmoil atm. She loves her work, but hates her job, which is insanely difficult, political, and bitchy. I would love her to come and do this with me instead, but so far the only interest she has shown in pinball is when this mod blew up a few weeks ago. "And to think I've been so unsupportive!" she told our friends haha. I can say this because actually she's incredibly supportive, and I couldn't do this without her busting her ass everyday.

#472 1 year ago
Quoted from shanksfornothin:

Please put me down for the 2nd run list. It’s very rare I like mods, and even when I do I just like them on other peoples games. Kind of the same thoughts I have about tattoos LOL. But this is beautiful! I think it’s tasteful and adds a lot to this game without being to much. I must have this mod! Thank you!

Love this response because it is exactly what I'm aiming for - adding to the game while at the same time being sensitive to the original feel. It's incredibly difficult to get right (and likely subjective, even when you think you do!) so it's great to get confirmation from people that feel you've achieved it. Thanks!

#475 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Haven’t heard this discussed yet, but what does the sign translate into? Also what is it designed after, ie does it match Stern’s graphics or is it new?
Watched an old-time talent show on tv and there was a gigantic Asian man in a cowboy hat, shirt and boots singing the sappiest, country western song ever. When he finished he was interviewed along with his translator. The singer couldn’t speak a word of English, much less understand what the words meant. He was signing words in English that were mere nonsense sounds to himself. It was a surreal moment, but that probably doesn’t apply here. I don’t think yours would be strange if it didn’t mean anything.

We have a local pub where I live that went through a refurb, and when it was done, it looked like it should have been good. It had craft beer and victorian tiling and all the latest hipster trimmings. But it had no soul. It was an approximation of a good pub, and it reminds me of the exact thing you're talking about - those south east Asian bands that play western covers. Good, fine, fun even, but 100 percent inauthentic.

Anyway, back to the question. The characters translate to Battle, Power and Friend, ie, the awards that correspond to the character positions. The sign doesn't match Sterns graphic, but in this case, that's probably a good thing. The other buildings I'm looking at will more closely match yetis designs though, because those designs are awesome.

#482 1 year ago
Quoted from Zora:

All the best for your arm. I assume the break was not from the installation of the mod.

We might ship out some vials of morphine with every pack just in case.

#496 1 year ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Hey ya missed me! I was post #70. Any chance you can put me up on the master list thingie you compiled? Thanks!
[quoted image]

Sorry about that! Got you down now, and in that position.

Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Love the mod, the colors and lights. However, curious how it works differentiating between different awards? (Battle, power up, etc). It looks like all the lights are always lit? I don’t believe I’ve seen a video showing how it actually works in action. I’ve only see all the lights on and blinking. Thank you for your amazing work and addition to the community.

This video probably shows the differentiation between awards best. Here I'm manually triggering each of them in sequence, and then turning them off again. You can see that when an award is lit, a pattern will play, in this case, and orange/red effect.

I've since updated the outer border 'flame' effect to be more flamey.

What you are seeing when all the lights trigger at once is when the game initiates one of its lighting effects (during attract, or a monster hit during a battle, end of ball, and various other places). In those situations the mod picks up that all the lights are triggered, performs that lighting effect, and then reverts back to standard behaviour after that (lighting specific awards if they are lit). So effectively how the normal sign behaves.

#500 1 year ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Thanks for the video. From watching it, is it the Japanese letters that light to show what mode you are in and the right side with the English always stays lit?

Yes that's right. The right hand 'sign' part in English runs a constant 'glitter' type effect with low intensity to make the sign look like its lightly sparkling. Since that section is also addressable there's no reason it couldn't also change depending on the current mode - at the moment I don't feel there is a need to, but it's provisioned that way just in case.

#502 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I assume that's not something configurable right? And I assume your code is closed source so that's not something we can tweak?

All the patterns & colours are configurable over WiFi, and there's a ton of scope for tweaking it to your tastes. Currently the right-hand sign section can have its base pattern & colour modified, but isn't triggered - however this could be added easily enough in a firmware update later if there was enough demand for it. The firmware itself is closed source, and is a branch of my Lollypops code. For a brief rundown of how this works, checkout the quick start guide here:

This is all coded by me - it isn't a third party tool like WLED - so although its closed source, I'm more than happy to discuss changes, improvements, or additions. Hit me up!

#519 1 year ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Any thoughts on a 3 piece sign set yet? LOL

Its definitely coming!

#522 1 year ago

I'm all in............... Just add me now
minus the scoop sign as I'm already #64 on that list.

Loving the enthusiasm but going to wait until we announce something before taking names for that one. I'm all listed out at the moment.

#529 1 year ago

Production begins!

On the advice of Sorokyl I have recruited a small force of very vocal small handed workers. Unfortunately she asks for way too many sausage roll and roblox breaks. I would fire her but not sure how I'm fixed contractually...

^^ Checkout the sleeping kitten in the plant pot

Cabling and production PCBs are due to arrive next week. Once they do and I've had a chance to test everything I'll be send out PMs to the first 50 people, and then moving on the the rest of the first batch quickly after that. I'm on holiday start of August (our yearly family trip to Ibiza!) so hoping to get a good start on everything before that.

Nearly there!

#531 1 year ago

Teach the cat to help!

As long as everyone could deal with their signs smelling a bit like tuna, that just might work!

#536 1 year ago
Quoted from Shuoink:

That, is exciting!
By my shoddy counting I am about 120 ish on second runs.this is one worth waiting for!

#405 overall so you were close! (the list is now been added to the first post).

#538 1 year ago

Couple of new improvements to the code while I wait for the last parts shipments to arrive:

1. On board firmware updates. No more having to download the bin file onto a separate machine and upload - the sign is now capable of connecting to the internet, checking for updates, auto downloading, updating, and installing.

On Board Firmware Update.gifOn Board Firmware Update.gif

2. Pattern Naming. J85M mentioned that it was sometimes hard to remember which pattern was which based on the numbering alone. I agree! Now they can be given a descriptive name.

#539 1 year ago
Quoted from Gman3:

I was interested in supporting this project until I saw child labor being utilized. Shameful ! Lol

Child labour is the least of your worries - we now have a fully automated feline labour force!

#542 1 year ago
Quoted from Shuoink:

Tha ka for updating the list!
What saucer mod is that in the pics?
Ty

That's the Jazzbouche saucer lit and triggered by one my Lollypops LED rings. Better video of it here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-mod-thread/page/31#post-6924059

We're planning on releasing these as a kit (UFO + triggered lighting, 2 x triggered RGB post lights, 1 x triggered backbox godzilla breath) in a few months time.

#544 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

You know I want on that list

You're number #3 already mate, right behind the beta testers!

#547 1 year ago

First 50 people contacted today - check your PMs!

#558 1 year ago

Got all the above down - thanks very much guys!

30 spot left before we hit (gulp) 500. Whoda thunk it! I'm sure they'll be some dropouts along the way (you sold godzilla? wat?) but even still it's just.... mind blowing. Massive, massive thankyou everyone!

#578 1 year ago

First 40 packages getting sent in the next few days!

Feels great to be at this stage of the process. Its really an assembly line at this point and you have to keep your wits about you to avoid making mistakes. Much respect to those people who do repetitive work day in and day out. It aint easy.

Looking forward to getting these into peoples hands.

#583 1 year ago

New mod kit for GZ announced today - "Lolly UFO"

RGB lit UFO, 2 x RGB postlights, Backbox breath Zilla - all interactive and game triggered. Work won't begin on this until all the Tokyo Neon's are out.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-lolly-ufo-mod-kit

Thanks!

#591 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I can't wait for the lollypops toothbrush... after 20 pinball games it goes off to tell you its time for some personal hygiene

Consider that idea stolen also!

#592 1 year ago
Quoted from Manny10:

Hello, I would like to buy one as well as some other items that you have.
thanks

Sure mate PM me if you'd like to have a chat about the others. The website is on hold for the time being while I sort out these big runs but I'll see what I can do.

#602 1 year ago

marvinmax .... you are number....

TSzR.gifTSzR.gif

8eGg.gif8eGg.gif

HOLY SMOKES... 500 !! Thank you to everyone for the massive support on this one. The excitement and buzz has just been completely unexpected and incredible. I'm stoked.

The plan is to only do a maximum of 500 this time around, however there is always some dropoff, so by all means let me know if interested, you might get lucky. We may also do another small run in the future (after switching to the UFO for a bit and likely the first building) so will keep this list going and we'll see how things pan out.

Massive high fives everyone. PINBALL IS RAD.

#615 1 year ago

* Batch 2 Shipped a few days ago (up to #89)
* Batch 3 shipping this week (up to #140)

Batch 1 sounds like it's starting to arrive at people's doors. Yeoooow! Super happy (and slightly scared) to be hitting this phase of the process. Feel free to post some unboxing photos (please!).

Now - I've had a couple of reports of the GI sensing cable causing some weirdness. Please could everyone install and test first WITHOUT the GI sensing part. I've issued a new firmware update this morning that I'm hoping will resolve the issue, just waiting on feedback to confirm. Installing without the GI sensing cable only means the sign won't dim when the GI does, everything else is the same. Hoping to get on top of this soon, and will update the thread when I know more.

To update your firmware:

1. Open the coin door, go to service menu, close coin door
2. On your computer or phone, Connect to the WIFI stumblor-tokyo1-xxxx
3. Navigate a browser to 192.168.4.1
4. Go to 'Settings' and click 'Update Firmware'
5. Enter your WiFi details, click 'Connect'
6. Click 'Download Latest and Install'

#617 1 year ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Wow, it really is as good as they say! Easy installation and awesome product.
[quoted image]

Looks great @mrossman5, thanks for sharing!

I see you went with the blue acrylic (my daughter Ivy's favourite). It will be interesting to see what the predominant choice for these is.

#620 1 year ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Put me down in camp Blue as well!
[quoted image]

Ivy is never going to stop talking about it if camp blue comes out on top

#622 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I'm team sunburst, or whatever we are calling the default option. Haven't settled on colors for the LEDs yet, other than the default triggered colors, really like that.
+1 for this being so much better in person. I had to turn the LEDs way down to even try to get a good photo, which causes them to kind of bleed into each other..you're just gonna have to trust us, Internet strangers!
Super happy with this mod!
[quoted image]

Team sunburst is a great name!

#624 1 year ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Hey Davie. Just wanted to say that I received my 'package' today. Exceptional job of packing and your instructions are first rate; amongst the best I have ever seen. You must be the consummate pro in how you approach things. I am posting my thoughts here instead of via a 'PM" because I want the community to have a sense for what they can look forward to. Well done! Many thanks. Now, if I only had my Premium to install it on. It had better come soon because I am running out of room to store all the mods I have or are on order for it, LOL.

Thanks so much Mike that's very kind of you to say. I always start out with the best of intentions with my documentation, trying to keep them concise, but they always end up being 20+ pages long. I had to buy a new printer this time around to cope with the workload!

Fingers crossed your GZ arrives soon. It's a beast.

#625 1 year ago

So as you might have seen, the first run of the Tokyo Neon has been arriving with the early-listers, and mostly everything has been going great. HOWEVER - a number of users quickly raised a problem - the GI sensing (that dims the mod when the game dims) wasn't working. I've been working with a number of people today to get a handle on what was going on, and I'm pleased to say that I think we know what the problem is, and more importantly, have a solution.

Step 1. Update your firmware to 1.0.72
----------
a. Open the coin door, go to service menu, close coin door
b. On your computer or phone, Connect to the WIFI stumblor-tokyo1-xxxx
c. Navigate a browser to 192.168.4.1
d. Go to 'Settings' and click 'Update Firmware'
e. Enter your WiFi details, click 'Connect'
f. Click 'Download Latest and Install'

Step 2. Remove GI Sensing cable from the usual position, and connect to the TX pin (RED side only)
----------
I've released a service bulletin that shows this step in more detail. It replaces those steps in the original documentation. All new documentation going out will now carry these notes, so these steps are only necessary for people with mods that have either arrived, or are in transit.

HUGE thanks goes out to @marklard, @lemansfan, mrossman5 and especially Sorokyl who gave up their time today to help a brother out.

#634 1 year ago

Team Smurf and Team Sunburst, are those just stickers and can they be swapped over time? Would be great if it's like a reusable contact paper

Better than stickers - they're reverse UV printed acrylics! They just swap in and out much like how a translite works (pushed up into a top cavity, then pulled out from the bottom)

#635 1 year ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I would like to be added to your reserve list. (Maybe you will increase your list to 600!). Great looking mod.

There's always some level of list dropoff (people's circumstances change, games move hands) so I'm almost certain that the current reserve list will all be getting a mod.

#643 1 year ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

Davey,
I have to say i am shocked!
Other companies:
From fancy vague announcement and immediate payment to product release i expect 5 Years minimum with absolutely NO communication in between. And then finally give me an unfinished product with lots of workarounds, no instruction and no contact for help.
stumblor:
Super professional introduction, immediate adaption to the CRAZY demand and in no time, shipping a polished high end mod. Your instructions and illustrations as well as the super exact technical explanations blow me away.
I mean just for a pinball mod to wifi update itself with a first bugfix available already for the very first units (still in transit) is really insane!

Ah thanks Rob, that's very kind of you!

The WiFi firmware update functionality is something I'm super proud of - a first for a pinball mod as far as I'm aware.. although happy to be corrected! When J85M was beta testing he asked me if he could update that way, and to be honest, it hadn't even occurred to me that it could be possible. It took a few days, and a couple of shifty side manoeuvres (For whatever reason, the ESP8266 didn't like requests from HTTPS servers, so I had to build a proxy to get around it) but the end result is just sooo much slicker, and a godsend in situations like this where we had an early bugfix to get out.

Quoted from WizzardRob:

I wonder what a Pinball machine coming from you would be like.

You can guarantee one thing, it'd have a LOT of neon!

#646 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Spooky does not even have this feature in their $10K games yet!

Someone get on the blower to spooky... I could be the next Scott Denesi !

I wish, that dude is sick.

#656 1 year ago
Quoted from Apinjunkie:

I received mine Saturday, installed last night. Easy to follow instructions, straightforward installation. Looks fan freaking tastic! Well done sir, can't wait to see what you come up with next.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yeooow! Looks great, and thanks for the feedback. I'm loving those mirror blades in GZ, I've been meaning to sort out a pair for my game.

#664 1 year ago
Quoted from Thuillier:

Is it possible to put me on the list or am I late? Thank you !

I haven't yet ordered the parts for the second run yet (will likely be doing that in a few weeks time), so will make sure that I order enough extras to cover everyone up until that point. So, yep, you're in!

Quoted from Gavino:

Don't see my name on the list but I posted on page 8. Hopefully I can be added?

Sorry about that! I've updated the main list and put you in the correct position. Thanks for checking.

Bit of book keeping... 1-146 have all been sent out, and (touch wood) no major issues reported. 147-192 getting built next week and should be going out a couple of days after that, so keeping a decent pace for the moment and aiming to get to the tail end of the list end Sep/early Oct.

On the most recent documentation sent out, I included a QR code that linked to the WiFi documentation, but stupid me, used a service that started asking for money after a few days. So I ditched it, and went with another one. New QR code below.

Screenshot 2022-08-09 at 14.18.56.pngScreenshot 2022-08-09 at 14.18.56.png

Or, just use these links:

https://stumblorpinball.com/docs/gtn1 (Installation)
https://stumblorpinball.com/docs/gtn1-wifi (WiFi Config)

#665 1 year ago

Oh one more thing - A user commented in the GZ thread that the mod appeared quite bright in the photos. Obviously that's configurable, but what's everyone's thoughts on this? Is the default brightness too much? If you've changed it, what have you changed it to?

#671 1 year ago
Quoted from Forehead_Slap:

Yeah... I think that was me. I didn't know it was customizable. Sorry.
But add me to the list please.

no problem at all - all feedback is good feedback!

Gotcha down now, thanks.

#672 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Anyone else have their mod stuck in customs? Mine has been there since mid July!

Definitely some from that same batch that have arrived. Same packaging, customs decs etc. Seems a bit arbitrary :-/

#683 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Looks so amazing in person!!

I love an installation video!

Thanks so much for sharing. Looks great.

#685 1 year ago
Quoted from dougPDX:

Is the current list posted anywhere? Curious where I am sitting in the queue…. Thanks!

The first post in this thread is updated with the list - current up to about a week or so ago

#686 1 year ago

JUST A QUICK NOTE

A couple of users have raised that as well as the PinMonk flipper cooling fans, the BriteButtons illuminated flipper buttons also uses the same powering method as the Tokyo Neon, and will require a splitter to get both to work (which I can provide). I'm sure there will be other mods too that I'm not aware of, so if you have one, please let me know so I can keep an up to date list.

Current known mods that use Cabinet Node 1 CN11 (and require a splitter)

1. PinMonk flipper cooling kit
2. BriteButtons illuminated flipper buttons

#688 1 year ago
Quoted from friscopinball:

If our kit has already shipped (128 here but no tracking yet), how would we request or find out which splitter works? I have the Pinmonk set but haven’t installed it yet.

Hey mate it's just the one splitter that works for all those mods listed. Sounds like you'll need it. I'll PM you and get it sorted.

#692 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Anyone else getting stuck at 8%?
[quoted image]

Have you put the machine in service mode first? Attract mode triggers can interfere with the update process.

Quoted from Jkush18:

I’m getting it get to work when the game is on but even after you qualify battle it doesn’t lite up??

Not sure about this one. Will pickup with you over PM.

#695 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

That was the issue. Gotta make sure you’re in service mode for the update to work! All good now. What an amazing addition to the game. Greatly captures the feel of Tokyo nightlife.

Nice! Glad to hear you're all up and running.

#704 1 year ago
Quoted from friscopinball:

Does anyone know why the mod would light up at the beginning and then just disappear never to reactivate during the game at all?

This is the GI dimming - please check the service bulletin on the link below but will also pickup with you over PM.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-tokyo-neon-sign-mod/page/13#post-7052055

#705 1 year ago
Quoted from Slapfighter:

Got my package yesterday, installed it........... and .........it's working fine.
Looks in real absolutely fantastic.
I'm a modding guy and have to say, that this is one of the best mods ever made and one of my top three mods.

Wow, big compliment, thanks! Now I want to know what the other two are

#708 1 year ago
Quoted from tripp:

Davey,
Where can I get a splitter from? I have the Britebuttons unplugged to run the Tokyo sign but would like to run them both.
Thanks,
tripp

Not sure if anyone makes them stateside (anyone know?), but I have them available. Will PM.

#711 1 year ago
Quoted from Slapfighter:

Ok "off topic"...
I love those little mods like your neon sign and here are my favourite "little" ones.....
Neon sign is now for me the new nr.2 behind the Alien tracker

Vimtoman and Medisinyl - two legendary mod makers and three cracking mods highlighted there. Solid company to be put beside, thankyou!

Quoted from Jkush18:

That medysinal mod for stranger things is a close runner up but from an engineering standpoint there’s no doubt the Neo Tokyo mod takes the twipy!!

Ahh that's kind of you to say. All of the makers approach their art in such varied and interesting ways, utilising different skills and talents - it's always tricky when trying to compare like for like. I love seeing what everyone else comes out with, as it's always so different to what I would think to do. As for the twipy - when I got shortlisted last time I didn't stop talking about it for 6 months, so imagine what would happen if I took it out. I'd be unbearable!

Honestly though while it would be great, I don't place too much stock in it. Last time I was nominated (2020) the Stern Stranger Things UV kit took out top spot - something that arguably should have been part of the game anyway. Awesome, yes, but not what most people would consider part of the modding scene. Whoever it goes to this year, I just hope it's one of the little guys, plugging away in their garage until 2 in the morning, coming up with crazy ingenious stuff so we can all enjoy our games that little bit more.

#717 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I assume there is no chance one is available by august 26?
I leave the USA on that date to go back to Australia

I'm hoping to cover the current reserve list (around + 50) but it really depends on dropouts between now and then (and around a 2 month wait for the back on the list). Although not sure I understand the question - I can post to Australia as well?

I'm in the UK so the postage is about the same.

#722 1 year ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Got my sign mod and love it.
How much is the Lollie UFO?

Glad you're liking the sign!

Lolly UFO - I see you've found the other thread already The full kit is £199 plus p&p.

#729 1 year ago
Quoted from Ch4p3l:

Just saw the new online instructions mention changing the GI A/B switch to B if the bulb adapter wires were reversed. My wires are reversed but trying to figure out what the A/B switch is. Set the GI sense to off? Where it says trigger and has A, P, or B?

Hello mate - bit confusing sorry - that's the latest documentation for the latest revision of the board, which has an additional switch on it to reroute the GI sensing in the case of reversed wiring. Not applicable to your board version. There are other solutions however, namely the service update here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-tokyo-neon-sign-mod/page/13#post-7052055

I'll pickup with you over PM.

#734 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I thought my solution involving flush cutters was quite eloquent and I'm offended it did not make the official documentation!!

There's not a problem that can't be solved with flush cutters and a bit of get-up-and-go

Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

So what are the chances I get one of these awesome mods?

I've got you down on the reserve list. I'm *hoping* to get to everyone, but it depends on dropouts between now and then. For those that miss out on this initial build, we'll double back at some point (possibly after the Lolly UFO run) in order to sort everyone out. Rest assured I'm giving it thought and working it out.

We've had to do a lot of changes at this end in order to scale to the demand of this one, which has been challenging (but exciting!). At the moment, the bottleneck is actually getting them assembled, QC'd, bagged, boxed and out the door, so currently looking at ways we can speed up that part without sacrificing quality. Hoping to transition to a speedier operation in the next few months. Sounds slick but really it's just getting another set of hands to help out. The trick will be teaching them the proper way to use a tape gun. I'm like Clint Eastwood with that thing now.

#737 1 year ago
Quoted from Joker19:

Which number on the list are you at? Just excited for it to be my turn! Lol.

Doing up to 192 this week, you are about 3 weeks away

#742 1 year ago
Quoted from Mando:

Willl you update the list on the main page soon ? Just wondering where I am

Sure thing, done!

#746 1 year ago
Quoted from sidesmack40:

Hello please add me to the list for the neon sign did you have a price i missed it?

It's on the first post £179 plus post from the UK

#761 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

I know I got on the list fairly late, but just how many weeks/months til mine's up? Just curious....

We're sending out #241 next week, and working toward getting out about 50 a week at the moment (pending life stuff!). You're #532, so looking at around 2 months time.

As I've mentioned earlier though we're looking at ways to get someone else in to do the boxing and packing, which would save me a heap of time and get things moving quicker. This would then also free me up to focus more on the design work. Which would mean those back buildings could arrive sooner!

#771 1 year ago

Haha... you guys!!

No formal announcement has been made yet for those but the plan is to do the back three buildings in the same style as the Tokyo Neon, but with more painted resin sculpting (destroyed building) and a few other surprises. No list as yet either - will only be taking names down once we announce, otherwise its way too many lists to manage and I start sweatin like a ropey accountant.

#774 1 year ago

So after you've completely rebuilt Godzilla, what game do you think you'll move onto next?

Not sure yet to be honest. It probably depends on what games get released over the next 12m that I think might pair nicely with the kind of mods I tend to make. I have a Rick & Morty incoming, and hopefully a TNA as well (c'mon Spooky!), so those are both possibilities as well.

#776 1 year ago

Spooky needs to do another run of R&M. There are so few that I can't even find anyone who owns one in Austin.

From what I remember, there's some pretty hard-core licensing restrictions in place which means they can't. Never played it but really looking forward to taking it for a spin.

#784 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Can I please be added to the long list please?
I assume you can ship to Australia?
Many thanks!

Of course! It's my home country after all

#786 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Thanks mate!
I assume you PM me when it’s ready for me to pay?

That's right - in a few months hopefully if all goes well.

#788 1 year ago

Yeooow! I love an obligatory install pic!

(ps you can tweak the brightness in the settings if you feel the need

#792 1 year ago

torsten ... you are number

600.gif600.gif

You crazy pinsiders! Massive thanks and respect.

I was at Pinfest UK over the weekend and someone asked me for a SELFIE. I'm totally a low budget celebrity now!

#799 1 year ago
Quoted from playtwowin:

#266 I'm very excited for this mod to arrive. Hopefully not to much longer of a wait. This mod looks Amazing and is an absolute must buy...

You should be getting an email this weekend!

#801 1 year ago
Quoted from Rob77:

Hey Davey!
After ordering the full kit (Ufo, Sling post lights and backbox breath) i can‘t resist… please put me on the list for the sign also…
If i may get one and if the orders then could somehow be sent together that would be great!
Or maybe i can meet you in London? I‘m there at October 30 for NFL’s London Game Jaguars vs Broncos at Wembley Stadium

Thanks again! Can certainly combine shipping on those, prob easier for me than trying to get out to an NFL game !! (although I'm sure it would be awesome)

I have you down for 2 x Lolly UFO kits (one full, one backbox only) - send all three together?

d.

#806 1 year ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

What a beatiful mod! Technically this is overkill... i mean fully customizable LED effects via wifi configuration. You can create your own effects even if i understand it correctly. Sophisticated. Really really awesome. You can make this thing act however you want.
I also installed the GI dimming connection. stumblor is there a way to give the sign a minimum brightness even if GI is off? I would like the sign to reduce brightness according to GI dimming but not to go off completely.
I quickly tested around a little and i like the green color for powerup. But lets see, i like to see how the other colored sign inlays look installed.
The Neon sign typical flicker effect is just perfect, so i cannot think of any improvement making my own effects here. Really nice realistic effect.
With the included manual, installation was completely foolproof easy. All the cables are perfectly prepared for plug and play installation! Well done!
And it is not easy to capture this in all its beauty, because i am not a camera expert and somehow exposure / color is difficult to catch. However i'd like to share some impressions after my install.

Thanks for the awesome feedback Rob. Technical overkill is what I do best!

GI dimming - cool idea! Not too hard to implement either, so why not - I just published a new firmware (1.0.10) with that change in it. Enjoy!

Settings > Advanced Options > Gi Dimming Minimum

This new dimming value works 'additively' with the normal LED group brightness levels (ie they are combined), so you may also have to play around with those values a bit also before everything is in balance when dimmed.

#813 1 year ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I wasn't sure at first...but I've decided I need one of these. Please add me to the 2nd run list.

Nice! I've been following the work you guys have been doing on Rush over on the NinjaCamp thread also. Awesome stuff man.

#815 1 year ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

Yeah cool! I think thats exactly what i mean. Right now the firmware update does not show up
[quoted image]

Ahh I think it might be sorting them alphabetically rather than numerically (ie .10 less than .2) give me a sec will fix it.

#816 1 year ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

Yeah cool! I think thats exactly what i mean. Right now the firmware update does not show up
[quoted image]

Should be good to go now Rob!

#819 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Any difference between pro and premium sign?

Only the cabling. The premium has a provision for the flasher bulb - the pro doesn't have a mechagodzilla flasher.

#821 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffpin64:

Please when you catch up with these mods move next toward the Orig MM to work with the new MMR Topper. My dark topper is just sitting there .....
[quoted image]

I'll get to it eventually !! Promise !!

Thanks so much for the kind words, really glad you're enjoying it.

#826 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

**THIS*** I was just thinking about that the other day.... that you would be the perfect person to do the integration! Please make this happen!

I have an integration board ready to go (Pinpoint), which sits on the sound bus and triggers LED patterns based on sound events - a little video for those that haven't see it

A couple of people are going to use it for their own topper projects, but it would also be perfect for converting the King of Payne topper. I have a friend in London with an original MM just need to find some time to go around and write the event config. Hopefully soon!

#829 1 year ago
Quoted from qbass187:

Is anyone else getting a download error on the new firmware?

First thing (that is a bit of a 'gotcha') is to make sure the machine is on the service menu before you start, as the triggers can interfere with the download process.

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I did trying to use my cell phone but switched to a computer and worked like a charm.

That's interesting - was that the entire web UI that failed to work on your phone, or just the update process?

#834 1 year ago

I have noticed tho since I updated to 1.0.10, the sign no longer dims with the GI's and if the sign had a mode activated i.e Kaiju battle, when the game is over the sign stays stuck in that mode and doesn't reset. Any thoughts?

Hmm.. not sure - I'll check it out - thanks for the feedback!

#844 1 year ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I've bought damned near every mod for damned near every machine that mods have been made for over the 20 years that I have been in this hobby. This one is the best of them so far. Just so cool.

Wow ... amazing compliment! Thankyou!

Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Hello, curious how far down the list you are now? Thank you!!!

We're sending up to 348 this week. Moving quickly at the moment as my dad is visiting from Australia and is helping out with the assembly (among other things). Thanks dad!

#859 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

My Neon Sign looks so good as is I have not bothered to do any updates ,Am I missing anything ? Thanks Again.

Nothing major - we added a feature where you could control the minimum brightness during dimming, so the sign could be off-ish, but not fully off. That's it though I think. New signs will be shipped with that firmware as standard.

#861 1 year ago

Stags6969 has just identified a bit of a fit issue with the Pro. Turns out the Pro has a clear acrylic air ball protector behind the sign, which doesn't have enough room to be refitted when the Tokyo Neon is installed.

Pro owners - is this something anyone else has noticed? Is it on all builds, or just the newer ones? No help in the manual.

Pro:

(micro-rant) Why it's requirement for a game that is not designed to have air balls in that area is anyones guess.

We'll look at doing a replacement for those want one.

#864 1 year ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Yes. I noticed this.
I opted to cap the top of the more center-based post with a screw and then cover that post with a 1-1/16" black rubber sleeve (which acts as a guard against any balls trying to trap back there). With the more right-sided post (closer to the sidewall) I doubled up posts and have 2 spots there (and that post assists the other in blocking any balls trying to trap back there).
There's still technically a corner (between the center most post and the spinner switch) that a ball can find to rest, but in my experience with the pro, because there's not a ramp (like on premium/LE), there's significantly less airballs in that general area. So...so far this has worked fine (as I have not noticed any balls trapped back there since installing this mod and adding to those 2 posts as mentioned).[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from ChipScott:

For those of us who have the mod installed and want to try this GI dimming when GI is off (So when GI is off it just dims as opposed to turn completely off)... when using the Wifi, in advanced settings, if we do not see an option for adjusting the minimum brightness when GI is off option, will we need to hit the "update firmware" button? Or any specific pointers on that/what to do?
Thanks!!!

Yep, exactly right Chip - this feature came in version 1.0.10. Thanks so much for showing your experiences and solution with the fit on the Pro as well, nice idea to put a couple of extra spots back there also!

#869 1 year ago
Quoted from GranpaDave:

Beautiful mod. Received mine two days ago. Packaging and product are top notch. I followed the excellent directions and had the sign working beautifully within about 20 minutes. However, I hooked up the GI dimming component and now the sign flashes on on boot up and then does not turn on at all. Ideas? Thanks!

Hello mate, could you check please the following things

1. Does the GI bulb that you are connecting too light up as expected?
2. Is the GI bulb connection to the extender the correct polarity (ie red to red and black to black)?
3. If correct polarity, is the GI switch on the back of the mod set to A? (If polarity is reversed, you can set to B instead)

Feel free to PM me some pics so we can work out the solution.

#870 1 year ago
Quoted from mstang01:

Mine did the same so I undid the plug and jumper for gi dimming. I meant to go back and figure it out but forgot.

Hi - your mod was one of the first off the line so slightly different problem this one I think, if you could check the following post please with a solution

All questions feel free to PM me!

#876 1 year ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

I've tried connecting to my WiFi (weak signal, low expectations) and my iPhone's hot spot but can't get either to work. I'm in the setup menu and the coin door is closed or the switch pulled. Any suggestions?

Hi - so just to confirm, you have been able to make the initial connection to the Tokyo Neon access point okay, and this is when you click 'Update Firmware' and attempt to connect to your home WiFi?

We have had another report of a user experiencing the same problem, weak signal also, but was also unable to connect to the phone hotspot (which was always the way to get around the weak signal issue). I'll run some tests tonight and see if I can replicate.

#877 1 year ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

I've tried connecting to my WiFi (weak signal, low expectations) and my iPhone's hot spot but can't get either to work. I'm in the setup menu and the coin door is closed or the switch pulled. Any suggestions?

Okay! So I've just tested the latest board, with the latest firmware, and I can connect directly to both my home wifi, and also my (android) phone hotspot. So failing a replicable test, I've been doing a bit of research into the ESP8266 and router compatibility, and discovered there's a couple of gotchas that would be worth looking at.

== Things to check if you can't connect to home WiFi ==

Thing to check #1
Are you connecting to a router set to a channel 12, 13, or 14? Apparently those channels are not legal for use in geographical regions governed by the FCC (duh everyone knows that). The ESP is a stickler for the rules and wont connect to those channels.

Thing to check #2
Are you connecting to router that is exclusively 5GHz? If so, don't! The ESP only plays friendly with the 2.4GHz band. Most routers will allow you to setup both bands.

Thing to check #3
Are you connecting to a router that uses a WEP password? WEP is pretty long in the tooth now, and really you shouldn't be using it to secure anything other than stuff you want stolen. Plus, the ESP8266 doesn't like it. Update your password security to WPA, now!

All of these points apply whether you are connecting directly to a home router, or to a phone hotspot (in the case of a weak wifi signal in your games room). Router setting can usually be accessed by navigating to 192.168.0.1 and entering your admin pass, usually displayed somewhere on your router.

If you are having issues connecting to WiFi to update your firmware, please feedback whether any of these suggestions solved your problem, it would really help! Thanks!

#879 1 year ago
Quoted from Joker19:

Obligatory picture post!
Looks awesome and will dive into those settings later.
Instructions to install were very straight forward.

Looks awesome! Thanks for posting. Obligatory pictures posts make my day

#881 1 year ago

Massive THANKYOU everyone for your continued support! 662 orders and counting!

Apologies for the lack of updates - I've been keeping my head down over the last month and focusing on getting as many signs out as possible. Even my dad, who is supposed to be on his UK holiday this month has doing some assembling and boxing (it's a family business dad - stop complaining!). Don't feel bad, he actually quite enjoys it. I've also found some other local help who is going to assist doing the assembly, which should mean we can send stuff out faster for the remainder of the list, and for future mods also. nice! As any mod maker will tell you, managing inventory and assembly is one of the hardest bits to get right, and has certainly been challenging, especially on this scale.

Right so current status !

SENT: #362
ASSEMBLING: #362-408
RATE: ~ 50 units a week

The list is going up around 20 places a week SO we've decided to extend things slightly, order some more parts and try to fit everyone in now - which should be good news for those on the reserve list.

By MID NOVEMBER we are moving off this mod and onto the Lolly UFO kit, so the cutoff for taking names with be 4th November. Lots of new and exciting stuff on the way, so gotta keep things moving!

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to the success of this mod. It's been life changing, honestly.

#886 1 year ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

The list is on the first post. I think you are 532.

Quoted from Bohdi:

Dam, forgot the list was on the opening post. Thanks! Looks your right after me..

Self managed thread! I like it

Hopefully around 3 weeks away in that position.

#891 1 year ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack: So, I checked all of the above then went downstairs with my laptop instead of my iPhone to try again. IT WORKED! I usually don't take my laptop downstairs so had never tried using it instead of the iPhone.
My advice to anyone else having trouble when using their iPhones - USE YOUR LAPTOP!!!

Awesome! Really glad that's working, and thanks for finding that workaround. Maybe it's an iPhone thing? (I'm on android). J85M mentioned something about needing to change a setting on iPhone, let me do some digging.

#902 1 year ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

I am on the list already but wondering how/when I need to pay you when my spot gets closer?

We'll get in contact with all the details when ready to go, thanks!

#912 1 year ago
Quoted from GranpaDave:

Sorry I did not post this sooner, but my sign seems to be working flawlessly now after disconnecting and reconnecting. All my pinball buddies are crazy about it. Really a great job and one of the best mods out there. I have not bothered to change any of the settings via WiFi, but will attempt that a little later. It's awesome the way it is already out of the box. Congrats!

Great news Dave - and thanks for the update! Really glad you're enjoying it.

#915 1 year ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

Impressed with your work, Davey...
[quoted image]

Looks great, thanks so much for posting

#921 1 year ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Got it today!
The customs wait was long but so worth it! I cannot stop playing with all the color pattern options. Such an awesome mod!
[quoted image]

Whoo hoo! Looks great. Glad you're enjoying the the UI config, it's something im super proud of.

Customs has been more difficult and slow for everyone recently, I wonder why.

#923 1 year ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

When the sign dims because of GI dimming, would you expect it to go to an overall red dim color or still showing the insert specific "lit" status and corresponding color?
Am i doing something wrong or is it like this because the original sign acts like this and its detected and triggered like this intentionally?

Hey mate - so the idea is that when the sign detects that is should be off (ie, the GI goes out) it will wait one second and then start the fade out sequence. When it reaches minimum fade (0 by default, or whatever you set by that new value) the sign will go into 'off' mode, stop all patterns currently running, and ignore triggers. This is to stop it being triggered indiscriminately during the end of ball attract patterns.

So, long way around to answering your question, but the mode inserts should be off when the sign is dimmed

Is that the behaviour you are seeing?

#931 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I am a little jealous of all of you with working signs. I got mine last week but it is not functioning correctly. It was really frustrating to get it installed to only have to take it right back out to be able to play my machine without fear of burning up a node board (I have a friend who fried a node board with his board shorting out on the flasher). I don't see any other reports of others having issues with theirs so it appears we just got really unlucky. Hopefully the replacement gets here soon and I can join the club officially.

We've had to send out maybe 6 replacements which is pretty decent for a run 400 or so I think (close to 1 percent). Obviously it's never ideal when problems occur but I've tried to be as proactive and transparent sorting them out as possible.

The problem you mention with fooflighter was a hard one but worked with him through that and we believe it was down to an installation mistake with the flasher (shorting the tabs). We've taken steps both in terms of board design and tab protection to make sure this doesn't happen again.

#946 1 year ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

Light's out! Probably the coolest mod I have! Thanks!
[quoted image]

Yeoow looks awesome! Thanks so much for sharing.

Quoted from Haus7878:

Recently got my premium cab and can't tell if the list is closed or not. If so I understand. If not I'd be interested in putting my name on the list for a premium if possible.

Yep still open till the end of the month, when we'll be moving on with the Lolly UFO list. Got you down, thanks!

#951 1 year ago
Quoted from wywin:

I got mine in, and the install on the Pro wasn't too bad! Attaching my legally-required post-install pic... I have a relatively new game (late May 2022) and mine has the weird airball protector. I was able to make mine fit with some mild filing down at the two points circled - the left side needed to be filed down evenly (and very slightly, maybe a mm or two) to accommodate the connectors, and the notch on the right was needed to accommodate the BIG SIGN! I lined it up, made a very slight sharpie mark for the right side, and went slowly. I think it went well!
If I have any recommendations to Pro owners (Prowners?) make sure to watch the washers on the top side of the hardware with the airball protector side - they are very_ thin and I lost one under the mechagodzilla lane ball guide! It was a pain to retrieve.
Another note: the firmware update bit doesn't work in Android Firefox! Worked fine in Chrome, but if anyone else has odd behavior with it, that may be your issue.
Davey, this thing is truly a delightful piece of engineering. Between the custom board work, the beautiful design, and the software side, this is something to behold. I am berating friends to get on the list before it closes! I'm going to have trouble resisting more of your mods in the future... Extremely pleased with the purchase!
EDIT: Adding side-by-side between the mod and the factory sign. I haven't seen anyone post one before, and the difference is night and day!
[quoted image]

So glad you're enjoying it! That's a lovely photo too - it's not always easy to get a nice picture of the LEDs as they tend to overexpose but that one looks great and it fairly accurate to how it looks IRL.

Airball protector - yes a few people have mentioned that, I don't have one on my game (for whatever reason) so it didn't occur to me until people started to mention it. I've got someone looking into making an alternative plastic, and possibly on future runs I might move the sign down 2mm on it's legs to avoid it altogether.

#965 1 year ago
Quoted from mtopol01:

I do not see my name on the list anywhere. I was right after Pinphila for a Godzilla Premium. Thanks

Sorry mate 693 just haven't updated the list on page 1, will do later today. You are defo on the important list tho!

#966 1 year ago
Quoted from Jaraplus519:

Got the sign mod installed on my pro today!!
kool1 was nice enough to give me his for now while he waits to buy a premium, so when my name finally comes up on the list I will give him mine, Thank you!!!!
First let me say this mod is stunning, and the colors are so bright, I can't get a decent pic or video to really show it off, but trust me this thing is awesome.
The problem of the plastic for Pro on the backside of the sign not going back on was brought up a little while ago, here is what I did to fix it. I trimmed down the plastic, cut off the large chunk, and then used a Dremel to shave down the plastic, round the corners and smooth it out.
stumblor when you come up with a fix, or new plastic, can you include it when my sign ships out? I am a ways down the list still.
Let me know what you think?

Amazing write up..! Thanks very much for cataloguing the install and the airball fix. Yep, I'll follow up with my mate to ask how that's going and try to put one in your package if ready in time. Weird that it's only on Pros

#974 1 year ago
Quoted from Shuoink:

Got mine installed, and its well worth the wait.. this thing is STUNNING.
I wouldnt even call it a MOD, its a Product.
That being said, I did also do the GI dimmer connection, on the bulb indicated in the instructions.
After installing, the sign lights up and works fine, but I noticed I am now getting credit for loops (like the loop switch is firing) when the ball is nowhere near it, usually if ball is launching, or draining right side, etc. i FEEL like the gi bulb thing is triggering it somehow but it makes no sense at all, anyone have something similar?
Otherwise if you were on the fence on this, get on the wait list

That is very strange. The first thing I would do is disconnect the GI cable and retest, see if the problem still occurs. Try to isolate the cause. Not sure which board manages those switches so will check the manual and get back to you over PM.

#976 1 year ago
Quoted from MT45:

Epic mod. Well done sir. As everyone knows getting an image of this to represent colors and impact is impossible
I cut the exposure on my iPhone to minimum and was able to capture close to my colors
Kaiju = yellow
Power up = green
Battle = blue
Neon = orange/red
Global brightness cut way down to 20
Amazing work on this mod stumblor[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great...! Loving the creativity and personal spin everyone is putting on their mods.

#978 1 year ago

Looks like it's getting a lot of support already Jedi_Gill !

Let's make it happen.

#984 1 year ago
Quoted from Mando:

I like that idea too but would be good to see what it looks like ?
Maybe what’s active could pulse ?

We've been working on this today, should have a demo to show soon. The actual pattern that is displayed on the trigger will be fully controllable, so can be pulses, spins, flickers... you name it!

#994 1 year ago
Quoted from wywin:

I am loving the continued software support!
Another idea - I just realized that "Tesla Strike" turns off the white GI (thematic!) but this also means one can't "read" the sign if they have GI sense enabled. Is there any possibility that the mod could detect when the GI has been turned off for X seconds, and either come back on or "flicker" if that's possible?
I could just turn GI sense off, but it's such a nice feature and I already ran the wires...

Good pickup!

The easiest solution might be to just monitor a different GI line (like the red). However, it would be nice to maybe use the new GI dimming minimum feature for this as well (ie dimmed, but still indicative). Currently the sign doesn't trigger when dimmed, so I'll have a look at changing that for the current version we're working on.

#1004 1 year ago
Quoted from sidesmack40:

Just curious if you’re going to update the status soon on 1st page? Thanks know your busy

Updated, sorry!

#1007 1 year ago
Quoted from Kretinou:

You wrote 2x my nickname (739 & 741). One is enough
Thank you

Ah - I think one was from the website signup. Updated, thanks

#1016 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

Might I gently ask how long delivery was for your Neon Sign mods? I got notification of shipment on Oct. 2, and what little tracking I see shows it's still in the UK as of Oct. 20. Thanks, and I don't mean to criticize with this request, just trying to get an idea when this might appear as I'll be out of the country for 2 weeks in November.

No mate all good! Looks like tracking has *just* updated on the 21st showing its hit your sorting office. Will pickup with you over PM.

#1018 1 year ago
Quoted from Joca:

Hi Davey,
I saw that I stand two times on the list: #702 and #715. Please delete the #715, that must be a mistake. Sorry for this inconvenience. I am looking forward to this mod, but one is enough for me!
Maybe you confounded it with the UFO-mod I also wanted to order? I saw that I am not on that list.

Yes, that was it - I recorded the first Lolly UFO request down on the wrong list. Nice pickup, and many apologies! All correct now.

#1023 1 year ago
Quoted from McSirTuna:

Is it too late to be added to the list for a Tokyo neon sign kit?? If not, I'd like to be added as well for a Godzilla Premium.

Hopefully not too late - taking names at least until the end of the month and will try to get to everyone in this run, assuming there is enough stock to do so. We've just hit the estimated list target 8 days earlier than expected though, so anything from here on will depend a lot on dropouts. Either way, will keep registering interest for a future run sometime next year, as the list hasn't slowed down, like, at all.

Once again, I'd like to express my gratitude for all the support, enthusiasm, and patience while we get these out. It's been life changing!

Quoted from SR230CC:

Is the reserve list posted or only the confirmed runs?

Yep full list is posted but probably hasn't been updated in a week or so, will do later today.

#1026 1 year ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

Stumblor (Davey),
I received my Tokyo Neon Sign and noticed that the Japanese character insert appears to be bent inward (see photos). I don't think the insert is supposed to sit like this (i.e., bent inwards looking from the front) from other photos in this thread so I'm wondering what the fix is. I didn't want to continue to install the sign and/or try to remove that insert and straighten it without inquiring with you first. Also, are the two metal screw support housings pictured supposed to spin freely (they do)? I would appreciate your input... Many thanks (happy to continue this one-one via PM). Thanks!

Hey Josh!

So due to the nature of the resin, sometimes there is a bit of a bend in them, always in this direction (must be the orientation of the print and which side dries first). Also, the way that I'm fixing the PCB to the resin using rivet nuts sometimes tends to 'pull' the resin outwards, contributing to the bend. I've taken to adding some plastic washers in between the resin and and the PCB for this exact reason. The nuts are supposed to sit tight, however again, due to tolerances in the resin, sometimes they don't. I only loosely tighten the screws that go into them so that they can still be removed if needs be. Don't try to super glue them, the fumes will cause all kinds of issues with the PA12 (I speak from experience!) Unfortunately these are all aspects of such a small design, and trying to squeeze everything in.

Now, it also looks as though you have a small break in your outer shell:

I'll send you a replacement with a new resin, and add in some of the plastic spacer washers you need also. Pickup with you over PM.

#1031 1 year ago
Quoted from Marangsanz:

Received my sign yesterday and installed it today. It looks amazing and exceeded my expectations. Build quality is great and was easy to install. Definitely the best mod I’ve ever purchased and I can’t wait for the Lolly ufo bundle. Well done sir!

Quoted from leaffan67:

Installed, played, impressed! Well done sir!!

Quoted from Silvabullet:

I just got my sign and installed it over the weekend. What a beautiful mod. It's so well done and integrates seamlessly into the game. I have purchased almost every single mod there is for this game. This by far is my favorite addition. A must have for anyone looking to keep this pin in their collection

Maaa you guys!! Thanks so much for that amazing feedback - it totally makes my day reading things like this.

#1036 1 year ago
Quoted from avspin:

I must say I originally thought it would be too bright. But after installing it I love it.

Glad you're enjoying it! But if you do end up finding it a bit bright, you can always turn it down a bit using in the settings.

#1041 1 year ago
Quoted from jellikit:

I would like to thank Davey and Stumblor Pinball once again for their generous donation. The mod ended up selling for $325, it was definitely a hit and had plenty of Godzilla owners stop by the booth to check it out. Thanks again for the overseas support of the charity!

Wow.. that's amazing news Brad! Huge respect for all the hard work getting the auction together, and for your work on the Pinball Project. It really does look like a fantastic initiative doing valuable work for kids who need it most.

https://projectpinball.org/

Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Can you go ahead and design a matching topper so I don’t have to drop $2k on the stern one

Haha I'd love to, but the projects are stacked 3 deep at the moment! Have you checked out the atg1469 topper? It's super rad.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-mod-thread/page/61#post-7200694

#1054 1 year ago
Quoted from John_C:

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but I couldn't find it.
Is there a difference between ordering a version for a Premium machine versus a Pro? Or is the difference only in how it connects to your machine, whether Premium or Pro?
TIA

Essentially the same, the prem/le has a flasher in that area pointing at mecha godzilla, which is included in the wiring harness. The pro cable just has that flasher wiring removed.

#1058 1 year ago

Quick update time - Tokyo Neon has now reached over 800 signups, which I'm sure you'll agree, is complete insanity. Ludicrous, ludicrous, insanity. You nutty pinsiders! Thank you so much for getting behind this project. This has been one helluva trip.

So we've been busily beavering away here at Stumblor HQ, and now have a pretty decent team in place - Me (the head honcho), one loud seven year old, one babysitter, one grandad, and one cat that can't be bothered. A motley crew I hear you say? Take that back! This is a crack team assembled from the finest people who happened to be available at the time and were cheap. Are they good? Good enough, and that's all you can hope for in these crazy times.

On a serious-ish note - we have had a few inventory issues over the past month that are going to impact timelines a smidge. The LED rings destined for our next mod (Lolly UFO) came in the wrong spec, so have had to be sent back to the supplier. This has caused a one month delay to the start date of that mod (now Dec 14th), however it does give us a bit more time to focus on getting the tail end of the Tokyo Neons out. Which is good!

So, end result is, nothings changed. As you were!

#1062 1 year ago
Quoted from UnholySpectacle:

I wanted to follow up and say stumblor is a stand up guy. I had an issue with my original sign behaving badly and after some fruitless troubleshooting, I was sent a replacement in short order. This happened a while back but work was so crazy I forgot to give stumblor his credit until now.
Love the mod and will be on the lookout for future products.

Ahh thanks, appreciate it but no credit required! The important thing is that we got you sorted.

#1065 1 year ago
Quoted from SteelNation:

I just got a premium this week and found this thread today. Any chance you can squeeze one more on your list?

Congratulations! Gz is an insanely good pin. So I would hope that we'd still have space this run, but it depends a lot on dropouts between now and mid December when we move on with the next mod. Either way will keep taking names as we might do a small run early 2023 to pickup the tail end.

#1068 1 year ago
Quoted from jdlang11:

Hey man. I just paid for mine and I am at #658 and #677 I think. So I only need the one I paid for today.
Thanks,
Josh

No worries josh will remove the dupe. Thanks!

#1078 1 year ago

There's been lots of postal industrial action in the UK over the last few weeks, so hopefully it's just taking them a bit of time to get through the backlog. They are very good to me though, my postie has to bring about 4 sacks everytime he visits because I have so many parcels to pickup

I'll keep an eye on yours @sugarhillabe, hopefully it updates over the next few days.

#1084 1 year ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

I received and installed mine yesterday. Hugely impressed, an incredible upgrade over the stock sign.
I'm tempted to start playing around with the settings - is there a way to reset to the default settings if I hate what I've done?
Also, I can't decide if I want to install the GI sensing kit. Part of me things it would be a bit distracting having the whole sign go on and off with the GI. Is it worth doing?

Thanks so much Guy!

Yep, there's a button on the Settings tab that is 'Restore Defaults' so you can always go back if you don't like what you've done.

Gi Sensing - personally, I would say absolutely. Having the sign dim during moments like the end of ball, destruction jackpot etc increases the feel of total integration, makes it feel more stock, and contributes to those moments of 'tension' that the game introduces by dimming the GI. Go for it

#1086 1 year ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Cheers Davey, posted here to avoid bothering you with questions but should have guessed you'd be the one to respond!
Good to know that there's a way to restore defaults, makes playing around with the settings less intimidating as I love the effects as they are now.
You've convinced me to check out the GI sensing, will install tonight.

Getting bothered with questions is the best part of the job!

#1088 1 year ago

As we all know, Stern’s Godzilla is the greatest pinball machine of all time (fact). The flow, rules, progression and atmosphere are all mind blowingly awesome. However there is one aspect of the game that is a bit of a let down… Godzilla himself!

Screenshot 2022-11-11 at 12.13.36 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-11-11 at 12.13.36 (resized).png

I mean, what is up with that? He looks like Gary Busey after a 3 day bender. Have another cocktail Gary!

Luckily the very talented Jazzbouche has been on the case over the last three months, and has just released a higher quality, more game accurate rendition of our favourite green, erm… giant lizard… Kaiju guy. He’s bigger, he’s badder, and best of all, he totally has RGB lit translucent spines and mouth that are all game reactive and powered by my very own Lolly GI.

IMG_4449b (resized).jpgIMG_4449b (resized).jpg

No more cocktails for this guy, he’s stacked!

Head on over to the thread now and show your appreciation - Jazz got them skills.

#1097 1 year ago
Quoted from venom112:

I get the same thing try later today that site seems to be working intermittently. Had this same thing the other day and it loaded later.

Yep royalmail tracking site has been having issues this weekend, hopefully will get sorted out tomorrow when people return to work.

Quoted from Forehead_Slap:

So I just got my Sign mod and installed it today.
HOLY COW.
This is a must for any Godzillas! The sign itself is such high quality and so well designed that it immediately looks at home on the playfield. You can customize EVERYTHJING and make it just the way you want.
If you are at all thinking about this, GET ON THE LIST. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks so much for that amazing feedback! Really glad you're enjoying it.

#1102 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Recieved mine a few days ago, and I'm hoping to get it installed by the weekend. Where are there install instructions?

There should be a little card with a scannable QR code in the box, which links to here

https://stumblorpinball.com/docs/gtn1

#1106 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

A couple of things…
1-My QR code didn’t work. It took me to some random page
2- this mod is ridiculous. It integrates into the game soooooooo well! It is both eye-catching but perfectly natural.[quoted image]

Oh maaaan I hope my free qr code service hasn't gone awol again! Thanks for the heads up I'll investigate.

Really glad you're enjoying the mod though!

#1107 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Davey, I'm terrible at instructions, but, I have a Pro and have it connected right, I think. Just thought I'd post a pic to verify. And what's the extra longer connector for? Thanks and sorry for dumb questions

Yep, splitter connection looks a-ok! The longer wire is the GI sensing cable. I recommend leaving that off initially so you confirm the first part of the installation is working correctly.

#1111 1 year ago

Same happened to me. Took me to some site that wanted my credit card info…

Gah!

Sorry all. on it.

#1113 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

So, where does the one end of that cable go if I decide to do the GI sensing?

You will have a little adapter bulb, which plugs into one of the GI sockets.

That connects to your cable, which in turn connects into the back of the mod. You will need to set the GI SENSING jumper on the back of the mod to ON.

More details here:

https://stumblorpinball.com/docs/gtn1#heading=h.c7qr5zg19h1

#1120 1 year ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

just voted your mod for a twippy!!

Wow, I didn't even realise early voting had started yet. Thanks so much!

Much better system this year where they are ditching the nominations. And also that manufacturer 'mods' are excluded. No more stern ST UV kits being the winner!

Would be hugely appreciated if anyone who loves this mod could head over there and nominate us for the shortlist, I will love you forever! Maybe longer!

https://twipys.com/twipy-2022-pre-voting/

#1123 1 year ago
Quoted from Jodannar:

Add me to the reserve and wait list for a premium thanks

A fellow Canberran, nice!

#1126 1 year ago
Quoted from Paseb:

any update on the list ? i dont see my name
thx

Yep gotcha down #850 just haven't updated the main list for a week more two, will do soon.

#1133 1 year ago

I'm please to announce a major firmware update! Whoop whoop!

Godzilla Tokyo Neon v1.1.0

* IMPROVEMENT MOD : Access the UI config through a URL & normal WiFi connection
* IMPROVEMENT UI : Add a colour wheel RGB input box to more accurately enter colour
* IMPROVEMENT UI : Rename sign tabs to be more descriptive
* IMPROVEMENT UI : Brightness sliders renamed to be more descriptive
* IMPROVEMENT UI : Patterns section help text, and rename of 'at rest' tab
* IMPROVEMENT MOD : Separation of the sign into 3 individually controlled & triggered sections
* IMPROVEMENT MOD : Pattern 'Sign Glitter' SpinSpeed changed to look nicer
* IMPROVEMENT DOCS : Step 30 changes to mention potential tightness of CN11 fit
* BUG UI : Global brightness doesn't remember it's value
* BUG UI : Color wheel overlaps colours below
* BUG UI : PatternNum resets to zero when updating firmware (or setting defaults)
* BUG MOD : Dimming sometimes makes mode lights lose their 'trigger' status.
* BUG MOD : Triggered patterns sometimes disappear briefly during hectic gameplay
* BUG MOD : Single colour patterns don't respond to 'mix' colours nicely

https://stumbl.org/notes/4CqZpPzx/1.1.0

There are two super interesting parts to this update.

Interesting part 1 - The sign section of the mod (the rightmost acrylic) is now split into 3 different sections, which can all be individually lit with different patterns and colours. This means that they can be synced and triggered directly to the mode lights. It's amazing what this small change does to the functionality of the sign - check it out:

While this is a great addition to Tokyo Neon, it is also a major breakthrough in terms of future mods, because it essentially means that a single LED data line on the ESP8266 can be split into multiple independent groups, massively increasing the output capabilities of the chip. This is going to be used extensively on our upcoming building mod (spoiler!).

By default, the mod will behave in the same way as previous. To turn on the individual sign triggers, go into the UI and change all the 'Sign' At Rest patterns to OFF.

Interesting part 2 - The UI configuration can now be accessed through a central URL (and from your internal WiFi), which means you no longer have to disconnect/reconnect to the access point of the device. Better yet, ALL of our mods will be registered and accessible in the same way. Super profesh!

To register a mod, just follow these steps:

Step 1. Install firmware 1.1.0
Step 2. Navigate to http://stumbl.org (And be impressed at the ingenious nature of my domain name).
Step 3. Click 'Add Product' and then follow the steps

Once registered, clicking on the mod will open its UI configuration screen. Phase 2 will be converting this into an app, which will make it even easier to access.

We've been testing the crap out of the above process over the last few weeks, but we did experience some weirdness on certain internal networks (Jedi_Gill has the most insane wifi setup you've ever seen), so please bear with us and report back with your experiences. I've found this to be a huge improvement over the previous way of connecting to the mods so want it to be as good as possible, but it should still be considered alpha at this point. Bear in mind you can still access all the mods in the same way as before, should you wish to.

Massive thanks to Bangback for his installation feedback, wywin for his QA handywork, and especially Jedi_Gill for handing over massive amounts of free labour for nuffin'. You guys are super rad!

Enjoy team!

#1143 1 year ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

Perhaps a stupid question, but where do owners access the firmware update?

Through the UI is the easiest way:

Settings > Update Firmware

Connect to your local WiFi and the mod will then connect to the firmware server and download the latest firmware.

Building mod…???
When and how much?

Aiming to have something to show very soon!

Cost wise - we are massively focused on keeping our mods as affordable as possible. There's going to be a little step up to reflect to additional parts and functionality, but it's not going to be much. More info soon.

#1144 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Anyone up for a trade? My NIB Strangers Thing LE for this mod.
Just kidding. . But if you found yourself in possession of this mod but ended up not getting your Godzilla machine as expected due to delays or price increases... I would love to buy the mod off of you.

Mike! No need to trade ST! I hear it's a banger!

We should be doing another small run hopefully early next year for anyone who misses out this round, so hang onto your ST and hit up Greg for his amazing lab kit.

#1149 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Are you currently making a list for the next batch or where are you at with this currently?
Thx

Still taking names, but likely the ones that go on now will be for the next batch, which is sometime early next year. Cutoff depends a lot on dropouts between now and the end of the list. We're currently sending out 678 with 879 on the list, and we have parts for around 160 with approx 20 % drop-off (which is historically low for this point in the list).

Quoted from Arcade:

I am guessing the building mod is Pro only?
The one the guy made with the crashed UFO and brick work for the Pro is pretty amazing.
Or is this a different building then the one that lowers down?
As a Premium owner I am curious.

That one is a banger! Dude did an amazing job on it. The one I'm currently working on is one of the other buildings, and compatible with all models.

#1152 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I just installed the sign this morning and am very impressed with the quality of it. It looks beautiful! I have to get caught up on connecting it to wifi and updating it to the latest firmware (which is completely amazing for a mod!) and based off of this, I would be in for a building mod too! Excellent work and worth every penny.

Thanks so much, really glad you're enjoying it!

#1155 1 year ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Love the functionality where the right side of the sign can be individual controlled and dark when not active, huge improvement when quickly looking to see what the scoop will do - thanks!

I completely agree! We have Jedi_Gill to thank for that awesome idea.

#1167 1 year ago
Quoted from sugarhillabe:

Well, this is annoying. FatPanda was 573 on the list and I was 547 and I still haven't gotten mine delivered yet. Royal Mail tracking hasn't worked for two weeks so I don't know if it's a customs issue or what. I'm glad other people are getting theirs, just frustrated that mine hasn't arrived and I don't know where it is. **NOTE: I want to be clear this is not a complaint about Davey -- I know that Royal Mail has the package and it's on its way, that was established before their website went kaputt. He's been great, I just want to get and install this mod.

Hey mate - I'm starting to get the feeling there's something wrong with the package, rather than just a RM issue. I'll contact you over PM.

#1168 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

That I'm not sure about. I think Davey mentioned working everything into an app. Or using the Alpha method mentioned in his post above. That way is a bit easier I think.

Hey - there's two ways now

1. You can either connect to direct to the device's access point (stumblor-tokyo1-xxxx) and then navigate to 192.168.4.1. This is well documented, and the traditional way to do it.

or...

2. (Post 1.1.0 firmware) you can go to stumbl.org and click 'Add Product' and follow the prompts.

Any problems feel free to give me a PM

#1175 1 year ago
Quoted from shanksfornothin:

I’m having issues connecting to the device. I’m sure it’s user error. I’m not seeing it as an option to even connect to when I search for WiFi networks. Is there something that needs to be turned on the device that I missed? The sign is installed into the machine and working. It doesn’t change colors or show when each item is specifically lit but I imagine that’s all in getting it connected and changing those settings. Any trouble shooting tips are welcomed! This is my first pin and my first mod lol I am starting from the bottom

That doesn't sound right. It should definately work out of the box without any intervention. I'll PM you.

#1179 1 year ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

The replacement circuit board worked perfectly stumblor - thanks!
We were also careful to heat shrink the flasher terminals fooflighter

Good advice - We are also doing this on all new kits going out. Really glad you're up and running!

#1181 1 year ago
Quoted from mstang01:

I finally circled back around to try and get the GI sensing to work but I’m not having any luck, the sign would stay dark all the time unless I adjust the minimum dimming via the app then it stays at the minimum. I’m on the latest firmware etc., the board is an earlier rev. as it doesn’t have an a/b switch on it. The gi sense cable did appear to have its wire colors flipped at the bulb pigtail, but if I swap wires then only the kaju battle lights up constantly and the wifi doesn’t seem to work… anyone see this before?

Hey - sorry if we've discussed before (hard to keep track sometimes!) but have you seen the service bulletin?

Post 625 GI dimming service bulletin for users with serial GTN1-0001 to GTN1-0080

Essentially boards in that 1-80 range need to move the GI sense cable onto the TX pin, usually RED side, but if that doesn't work try it on the black side of the cable.

#1183 1 year ago
Quoted from mstang01:

I did read that but didn’t understand it since the cable has a two pin connector… I just found the factory tx pin on the back header and after playing with it a bit I was able to get it working, thanks!

Ahh awesome, great to hear!

#1188 1 year ago
Quoted from mstang01:

The TX pin should just be for the first 80 made (the one I was having trouble with was in that first batch). I’m not sure if the other issue with the wire colors being swapped on the lamp pigtail went beyond those first units but that’s easy to spot if your wire colors don’t match at the connection between the gi sense cable and the lamp pigtail.

Yes exactly right - and thanks

There have been a few small board revisions along the way, which went something like this, hope this explains everything a bit better.

0 to 80
Incorrect ESP8266 PIN assigned to GI sensing (this pin also performs a 'sleep' function under certain condition, ffs). Solution - Update firmware and install GI cable on the TX pin

80 to ~200
Potential GI wire mismatch. Solution - Use the TX pin (Black cable side) or swap the GI cable pins using tweezers (its easier than it sounds).

~200 to 600
Potential GI wire mismatch. Solution - A/B switch added to automatically select cable polarity.

600+
Potential GI wire mismatch. Solution - Bridge rectifier added which negates the need for cable polarity.

It should also be noted that as soon as people started raising the cable polarity mismatch, I changed over all the bulbs by hand to correct them (I'm very good at it now!), which means that from order 200 or so there should be no polarity mismatches. The subsequent board revisions were added as a belt n braces thing.

#1190 1 year ago
Quoted from moTiv8:

I am not able to update my Firmware (tried it 13 hours ago)
Is there a problem on the server atm?[quoted image]

Yes I temporarily broke it yesterday!! I was wondering if anyone would notice

Should be fine now, sorry.

#1197 1 year ago
Quoted from moTiv8:

tried it again but no success
[quoted image]

Just checked it on mine and all seems to be okay - have you put the machine in service mode before trying? The triggers from attract mode can mess with the update process.

#1200 1 year ago
Quoted from Paseb:

Anxious to get that mod. Where are you on your list in terms of shipping product?

Sending up to 735 this month, and still getting lots list signups (915 total as of this morning). There's enough parts to cover another 150 or so, and then have to shift onto Lolly UFO. Anyone who misses out this round we'll try and sort out sometime in the new year.

#1202 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

If we signed up via your website as opposed to commenting on this thread, is it safe to assume we are "on the list?"
Thanks!

Yes I'm adding all those in order that they came in, and you should have also received an email confirmation when you signed up on the website.

All the names are listed on the first post of this thread (up to about a week ago) although if it's an email address, only the first part of the email will appear (for privacy).

Davey

#1204 1 year ago
Quoted from moTiv8:

Yes, i did. I am not able to update. Can you send me the file so i can Update it local from file?
Send me a PM, thx.

Sure will do - Just for future reference, all the files are available here:

https://github.com/Stumblor/firmware-updates/tree/main/TokyoNeon1

#1213 1 year ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I just cast my vote. Best mod of the year - by far!

Woot! Woot!

I wanna be all humble and say that I don't really care about winning the twipy, but I kinda really do.

#1221 1 year ago
Quoted from greenmonk:

Well...the awards are here in Dallas and I'll be at TPF, so if you win I will definitely be cheering you on! You deserve it!

The aussie in me imagines it will be like this

KrisGonzo

#1225 1 year ago

Hi all,

As you're probably aware, there's been days (and days) of Royalmail industrial action here in the UK over the last few weeks, which has been having a massive impact on deliveries - both incoming and outgoing. If you currently have a package in transit, and it's showing no tracking - this is a known problem. The parcels will still be in transit, but may be delayed. For how long, I'm not sure. As far as I'm aware, there are about 40 parcels with this problem Whatever happens do not worry, I will sort it all out eventually, even if if means resending.

Please bear with me and try to hold back from sending emails asking about the tracking.

We're still assembling at this end and trying to get everyone on the tail end of the list sorted, and will be looking for alternative logistics in the meantime to get around the problem.

#1227 1 year ago
Quoted from addams40:

On Tokyo Neon sign. I keep trying to change trigger colors to original sign I highlighted trigger but for some reason changes attract mod also ? What am I doing wrong ?

That should be correct - are you sure you're clicking the 'When triggered' tab before changing the colours?

Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 13.08.00 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-12-05 at 13.08.00 (resized).png

Quoted from addams40:

Any chance of a second default mode with correct colors ? Lol

Board configurations are all export/import-able, so I just made one up for you that has more game accurate colours.

Download the file:

settings-game-accurate-colours.txt

Then import it using:

Settings > Import Config

1 week later
#1235 1 year ago
Quoted from Bigdaddy1000:

Just got mine installed. Quick and easy - good instructions. On my GI sense wiring, the red and black were backwards, meaning on the mini pigtail cable the wires don't match up to the longer cable when I plug it in. Red goes to black and vice versa. Assume this shouldn't be an issue? Seems to be working fine.
I am having issues connecting it to my WIFi and updating the firmware. I'll try another device later and write back if I can't get it to work.
Great mod - thank you so much!! What a major update to the game!

Thankyou so much! Really glad you're enjoying it. Regarding the wifi connection - did you put the machine onto the service menu before trying? The triggers during attract mode can interfere with the connection.

#1239 1 year ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Installation was simple. However, I have two suggestions for instruction improvements.
1.) If owner wishes to change the acrylic, this should be done PRIOR to the install. It's just so much easier that way.
2.) The GI wiring should be done at the same time as the main harness wiring to make it easier. If you (for some crazy reason) don't want to use the GI feature, then simply zip tie up the cable beneath the playfield and don't attach it to the GI socket. (Or perhaps even leaving the jumper at OFF would suffice?)

Thanks a lot for the feedback. It's always great to hear about the install experience first hand as it's hard as the creator to step outside that box.

1) Good point, I'll add some notes around that

2) This is a totally legit point, especially from the perspective of making the install quicker, however it was a conscious decision (even had discussions with some early adopters about it!). The reason being is that since the GI sensing tended to be one aspect that caused the most hiccups, it was good to test the first part of the install beforehand to eliminate any install issues from that part of the process before moving onto the next stage.

Hope that makes sense.

#1240 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Thanks a lot for the feedback. It's always great to hear about the install experience first hand as it's hard as the creator to step outside that box.
1) Good point, I'll add some notes around that
2) This is a totally legit point, especially from the perspective of making the install quicker, however it was a conscious decision (even had discussions with some early adopters about it!). The reason being is that since the GI sensing tended to be one aspect that caused the most hiccups, it was good to test the first part of the install beforehand to eliminate any install issues from that part of the process before moving onto the next stage.
Hope that makes sense.

Hope that's better. Thanks again!

#1244 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Great mod! Do I need to add my name here if I added my email on your website? Either way, please add me to the (long) list!

Thanks! Nope all good - saw that request come in. You're on (for the run in March)

#1245 1 year ago

Run one is now done. We've sent up to number #865 on the list. For those that missed the cutoff (especially those that only JUST missed) I'm really sorry - but we are going to do another small run around March '23 to tie up those loose ends so don't fear, we'll get to you, it just may take a little more waiting!

This has been an incredible year for us as a company, and things are looking bright and exciting ahead. Critically, we couldn't have done any of it had it not been for the appreciation and support that I receive on a daily basis from all your crazy pinsiders. Maxy respecty!

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

^^ Not quite the vibe I was going for but hey ho

1 week later
#1256 1 year ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

We just took delivery a few hours ago, and immediately installed it.
All I can say is: "Damn this is awesome!"
Thanks again.
-Paul

Thanks a lot Paul, really glad you're enjoying it!

#1261 1 year ago
Quoted from PDX-Mike:

I received my Tokyo sign yesterday, I do have one question though. On the back of mine there is a sticker covering that flasher mount hole, I haven't seen this on the others posted here in this forum. Do I still mount it at that location just puncturing the sticker?
[quoted image]

Sorry mate - yes exactly - just score the sticker first and then mount through that hole. This one would have been from the first batch that Danielle (Danny) put together for me, I noticed that she placed the sticker over the hole on a few and thought I had caught them all but must have missed one!

#1262 1 year ago

It begins..

Rational me knows that the ordering is completely random, however superstitious me is totally convinced it's a sign! A neon sign. yuck yuck.

Voting starts 1/1. Huge thanks to everyone who put us forward in the pre voting round, and for the ongoing support and enthusiasm. It really does mean so much.

#1269 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

I just picked up a secondhand GZ Premium with this mod installed. I was considering removing it and reselling it to offset some of the cost of the game (most expensive game I've ever purchased by a couple grand!). After a couple days, I've decided it's staying in. I don't usually buy into mods but dang, this one is sharp.

This is such a great bit of feedback, thankyou! A mod for people who don't like mods

Quoted from tomawax360:

Hi, it looks like they are still royalmail actions going on. Tracking showed finally a movement today, last was 22 of december.

Yep, unfortunately so. There were strikes leading up to Christmas, and this will be affecting all parcels sent out over that time. The good news is that they are all getting through, but are subject to delays. Really sorry about this. Hopefully the new year sees an agreement and we can start getting back to normal.

#1274 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

How often is the list updated?
Is there a pro vs prem version?

Not as often as it should be! (Every two weeks or so). I keep the most up to date one offline. I'll do it again later today.

Quoted from VirtualMayhem:

I am starting to install the sign and I'm already encountering an issue I didn't expect - my scoop sign connector seems to be incredibly tight. I don't see any clips that keep it connected to the other part but it is not coming free as I would expect it to. Any ideas?

My one came loose easily (and I suspect most peoples) however this has been mentioned to me by someone else. There are some small 'teeth' that lock the connector in place, try using a fine flathead screwdriver to lever the side up slightly before pulling it out.

#1276 1 year ago
Quoted from VirtualMayhem:

Hmm are the teeth on one side or both? I’ve tried putting a small screwdriver along the sides and doesn’t seem to help

Managed to locate the original PM. See pic below:

Me - See that little indentation at the front of your pic? That will be a little locking tab. That will either need to be pushed down with something, or the hood levered up over it, possibly with a thin flathead screwdriver from below?

JoeF - yep, used a tiny flat head to push/nudge it loose

JoeF Would you mind adding any additional expert advice for this connector problem? Anyone else experience this issue?

#1279 1 year ago
Quoted from DaddyManD:

Had same issue with very tight connector. I used needle-nose pliers to push down on the locking tabs (even just kind of smushed them a bit since the connecter is plenty tight). wiggle one side a bit first then the next side, I had to gently rock it back and forth.
Just installed my amazing sign this week and voted for it as TWIPY mod of the year

Awesome. Thanks so much for the additional info (I'll put some notes in the docs), and for the vote as well - really appreciate it!

1 week later
#1293 1 year ago
Quoted from addams40:

Used your download . Looks great thanks

No probs, glad you like!

#1303 1 year ago

Awesome write up Desmodromic thanks for taking the time to put it together. Great that you're using the WiFi config to get the look of the sign to your liking - this is probably the aspect of my mods that I'm most proud of. I'm an online software dev by trade so being able to take the hardware config into the browser just opened everything up.

3 weeks later
#1326 1 year ago
Quoted from Notbychance:

Hi stumblor I notified you on your site like 6 weeks ago. I don’t see myself on the list. Please like post if im on the list. Thanks you, Chance premium

Sorry about that, updated now!

Quoted from wizard1:

Please delete me from the list. I‘ve sold my Godzilla

Done - thanks for letting me know But you crazy!

#1327 1 year ago

We've begun ordering all the parts for the March run! There's a bit of a stock shortage of the ESP-12F chip (the main processor I use in pretty much all my mods) which did cause me to have a mild panic attack last week until I saw that it was probably just due to systems not being updated yet after CNY. Hopefully stock will arrive at my fabricator this week which means I can order the boards - the last piece of the puzzle.

Lolly UFO is going at full steam, but we are having a bit of difficulty getting the UFOs produced at the same pace. Paul (Jazzbouche) and myself are trying to work out the best way going forward (the poor guy never wants to look at a UFO again), but it might mean that we stop the run at 300, and switch back to Tokyo Neon early, while we work that out. Should have a steer on that in a few weeks.

Lastly, massive THANKYOU to all those who voted for us at the TWIPY awards this year. The super spam-a-thon that I initiated with everyone was actually a really wonderful process (for me anyway) and the feedback I received about the work I'm doing was overwhelmingly positive. Honestly, I can't thank everyone enough for the support and what it means to me and my family. My wife is absolutely miserable in her job at the moment, which sucks - but it does look as though I might finally be able to take some of that load off so she doesn't have to be so financially responsible for the family anymore, and that makes me feel really proud. Everyone here on pinside has been a pivotal part of that. Like, I owe you all a beer. Now wouldn't that be a party!

#1330 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Any chance we see you at Texas this year?

Would absolutely love to, and certainly considered it, but just the wrong time to be away from the family atm. If the amazing happens and I do happen to snag the twipy, I've got an undercover stumblor agent Jedi_Gill who has graciously agreed to go up and say a few words - what he doesn't know is that those few words will contain a ton of Australian-isms and full bore curse words, cos that'll be like, really funny.

#1334 1 year ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Definitely the best looking mod of 2022. How far do you think you will get through the list with you March run?

Thanks very much - really appreciate that! It really was such a great year for mods, so there is some stiff competition. We shall see.

We currently have about 320 people waiting on the list, and are getting around 5 signups a day, mostly through the website. I've ordered parts for 400, so hopefully that will be enough to cover everybody. Danny who is doing all the assembly at the moment is working out really well, and getting faster and more accurate every time, so hoping we can have everything finished off over Mar/Apr. There's lots of new mods on the horizon that are essentially ready to go, but the biggest bottleneck is the assembly, shipping and order management side. The better we can get at that, the more I can focus on the creative/design side, which is really what I'm better at (and is the fun bit).

#1341 1 year ago
Quoted from greenmonk:

Feel free to count me as your backup since TPF is in my backyard. I'll definitely be screaming for you if they call you as the winner.

Thanks so much mate - you'll probably hear me screaming all the way in Texas also!

Quoted from greenmonk:

Noooooooooo!!!! I'm #345....sooooo close!!!!! I suggest you stop at #350!

To be honest you'll probably sneak in anyway, given that there is always around 20% list dropoff. In the last couple of days Jazzbouche has made some strides working out an alternative production method, so hoping we can push past 300 anyway. More on that soon!

#1346 1 year ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I like this mod, but I'll be honest that it feels like it draws attention away from the built-in toys on the Premium/LE. I'm getting the Atomic Godzilla because Godzilla is a focal point and he's currently just a plastic toy. In that case, I feel like I'm making an existing focal point better. These opinions are a setup to share an idea I have which is I'd love to see a version of this mod that could be attached to the building. On all versions of the machine, the building could use a little extra bling and it is already a key focal point. I don't have my machine yet and I realize that the building raises and lowers, but I'm still guessing a way could be found to mount a mini neon sign to the side of the building and it would be super cool to see it flashing and fizzling out as the building comes crashing down. Now that would be a cool mod! What do you think?
P.S. As I'm writing about a building coming down, I'd just like to say my heart goes out to the people in Turkey and Syria that have died and suffered greatly from the recent earthquake that caused so much devastation.

I like what you're thinking! We're working on the other buildings right now, and should have something to show off very, very soon. Like, imminently.

Re, the earthquake, absolutely heartbreaking. Just another reminder to take a step back and go give your loved ones a hug, because it can all change in a heartbeat.

#1348 1 year ago
Quoted from EZ-Rhino:

I respectfully disagree. Initially, you can adjust the brightness settings if you want so it isn't as much a focal point of the eye. In addition, in my view it adds a bunch to the "world under the glass" feel and gets top marks from me for theme integration--which I believe was the point. Given the sign's almost infinite level of adjustment through the user interface, I think most folks can make it as "in your face" or "subdued" as they'd like. And frankly, the stock sign with LEDs was nothing to write home about. If Stern had unlimited development funds, I think the stock sign probably would have had more character and theme integration. In any event, I respect your opinion but there's over 600 folks who disagree

I like your thinking more!

You've really touched on an important point here, one that is close to my heart as well as my design philosophy. My history is software, specifically web development, so being able to bring that experience to bear on the mods that I develop really opened up the door in terms of configuration. DIP switches can only get you so far! A fully fledged web interface can be whatever you want it to be, which means the mods can look however you want them to look. It took a while to cram all the tools I needed into the little ESP12F, but now that its working and solid, we can really start to explore the possibilities. Like cat gifs!

There's always going to be some who think it's too much, regardless of how you tune it - and that's fine. No really, its _fine_. All opinions are valid and truthfully, I find it useful to hear other peoples ideas. Sometimes they're good, sometimes they're junk, but that's the way it goes with ideas. Ultimately, I'm still just going to build things that make me happy and I like the look of. It seems to be working out so far, so I might just crack on.

#1350 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

If you can make a sign in the gif format that would be revolutionary in the mod world! [quoted image]

^^ this idea - not junk!

I actually already built a gif decoder for an ill fated topper project. Essentially, you read a really small animated gif and then play it back on an LED matrix of the same dimensions. This would enable unlimited patterns, since you could just upload a new one. Imagine the crap you could do with that!

#1357 1 year ago
Quoted from PBlank:

Where can I find the list to make sure I’m on it? I signed up on the website back in Dec. Otherwise please include me for a Premium!

Hey! Full list updated to about a week or two ago will be on the first page of the thread. Website signups will be just the first part of your email address (for privacy). I'm sure you'll be on there, but if not give me a shout and we'll sort it out.

#1359 1 year ago
Quoted from GranpaDave:

Update-#197- have enjoyed this mod for quite a while. No issues at all-rock solid. Congrats Dave!

That's awesome Dave, appreciate the update and really glad you're enjoying it!

#1364 1 year ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Signed up on the website for another neon sign mod but don't see my email on the list - please add me for a premium model (my email starts with vitx)

Yep gotcha! #1180 - I just haven't updated the list on the main page for a week or so Defo good for the march run.

#1368 1 year ago
Quoted from aslong132:

Just wanted to make sure I was on the March 23 list. I added back in December but didn’t see it, just checking.

Yep defo gotcha - #989

#1369 1 year ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

Sold my first GZ but feel like I’m going to be picking another one up. Can you put me on the list for the neon sign, pro? Unless the premium can work with both? Not sure where I’ll land.

Yep all good, you can choose the flavour when you checkout - they're almost identical (just a flasher socket difference). Gotcha down now.

1 week later
#1379 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Do you have any mods go where the naeagle oil building mod is located?

Nah, and no plans to do any either. Tom (TDiddy) who makes the Naegele is a mate so that's his area

2 weeks later
#1392 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

The Noodle building looks amazing.
If you have the Tesla Towers, do they block or obstruct the building and sign? Is there even enough room for the building to fit behind the Towers?

Not had 100 percent confirmation because I don't have the towers, however the new building only adds around 1cm to the front so I don't forsee any fit issues with diddy's mod. The towers will probably block it visually, in much the same way they block the existing building visually at the moment.

#1402 1 year ago

About 8 hours away from jumping on a plane bound for Texas - here we come TPF!!! Yeoooow

ezgif-4-0b072e2e52.gifezgif-4-0b072e2e52.gif

We'll have a little stand on the TWIP/Silverball Swag booth, so come and check it out. Super excited to be coming, meeting everyone in person, and trying out all the amazing new games at the show. It's going to be quite a time.

#1404 1 year ago
Quoted from greenmonk:

You're coming??????? I definitely want to shake your hand while you're here. I think we also need to take you to try some real TX BBQ.
If you have room in your bag, feel free to bring my order with you and I'll pick it up in person.

YEEESSS!! Texas BBQ is like really high on my list of todos!! Are there any good joints near the venue?

Will stick your box in my bag now

#1407 1 year ago
Quoted from greenmonk:

Yup! I'm going to PM you so this thread doesn't turn into the TPF Texas BBQ thread.

Not that there'd be anything wrong with that! My inbox just started salivating with the sudden influx of tasty food joints. So stoked for this, was really hoping to eat some good bbq but had no idea how to find the best places. Problem solved!

#1416 1 year ago

Thanks so much guys! I was more nervous than you would believe possible walking up to that stage but think I managed to get it all out without making a meal of it

Just my bit for those that haven't seen:

https://www.youtube.com/live/O-2BXTXLXIY?feature=share&t=3091

IMG-20230325-WA0008 (resized).jpgIMG-20230325-WA0008 (resized).jpg
^^ keepin it classy!

What an amazing whirlwind of a trip this last 6 months have been. From the bottom of my heart, thankyou everyone for giving me this opportunity. Pinball is rad!

#1427 1 year ago
Quoted from ScubaScott:

Next stop? Perhaps Pinfest - May 5th Allentown, PA? Be great to see you there also!

Would love to! This trip was such a great experience in so many ways, with one of the main highlights being able to finally meet people that I'd really only spoken to over PM and email. I feel like I've made some real lifelong friendships on this trip, which sounds overstated but there it is. The positivity and excitement in the hobby right now was just overflowing at the show, and I was loving it. Really glad I came.

Quoted from Medisinyl:

I hadn't seen your posts here before the TWIPYs, so it was a pleasant surprise that I was able to meet you in person
Congrats again on the win And I couldn't tell you were nervous at all--your speech was great.

Ah thanks Greg! Awesome to meet you too man. I was completely bricking it, been a looong time since I've spoken in front of that many people, so great that i managed to hide it ok. Next time I'm over we have to go grab a beer and have a proper chat, when I saw you after the award I think I was still trying to suppress a panic attack!! haha.

#1431 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

I think you both should have won! I know there can only be "1 winner" but man... the Stranger Things Mods is just so awesome. I can't imagine there has ever been a year with two so-deserving entries!

Yeah completely agree - the creativity, execution, effort involved and just general awesomness of that set, and well, everything else Greg does is amazing. And inspiring! Same goes for Tom, Steve, Andrew, John, and the other makers I don't know so well. All such incredibly talented, humble and welcoming people and I feel lucky to be amongst them. Excited to see what everyone is going to drop over the next 12 months, with all these insane new games as an inspiration!

#1432 1 year ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Can't say enough about how much the community appreciates the amount of work you have put into this heavily engineered solution, which is purpose built for the game. With 1200+ 'orders' for the first neon sign and similiar numbers for the other projects, you should be very proud of (using your newly adopted Texas vernacular) 'taking this bull by the horns'.
Touche'

Very nice of you to say Mark, and yeah, I am really proud. You never really know how things are going pan out when you announce a mod (I had parts for 20 signs at the start!) and the fear of public ridicule is intense, especially when you are just starting out. I'm glad I took the plunge though!

#1435 1 year ago
Quoted from Lateralus:

You da man, Tokyo sign man! Congratulations on the award. Party time!!
[quoted image]

I couldn't have done it had I not crossed all the t's and dotted all the.... lower case j's

#1439 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I installed my neon sign last night and all I can say is WOW! It's insane how professionally built this thing is, I mean it looks like something right off a store shelf. The quality is really incredible and everything is very well thought out with the only thing needing some attention is the installation instructions (they just need some updating). With that said, I just really can't get over how well this thing is put together! I mean the circuited boards with the Stumblor logo on it, it's incredible! My only regret is I wish I would have got on the list sooner to buy it![quoted image]

Really glad your liking it and thanks so much for the pictures, they look great! If you felt like doing a bit of configuration Try turning the 'at rest' of each sign to off. Then, they'll only come on when the mode does. This is the way I have it now and the way I prefer it.

#1441 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Where is the setting and how do I change it?

More information on that functionality, and how to get it setup are in this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-tokyo-neon-sign-mod/page/23#post-7246281

Essentially, you can have all the right hand side 'signs' turned off by default, and only come on when that mode is lit. It acts as a more visual indicator when the modes are lit, but also just looks really cool

1 week later
#1454 1 year ago
Quoted from Geddy2112:

I just received mine today wow the build quality is outstanding thank you

Really appreciate that, thankyou!

#1460 1 year ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Just want to give a huge thanks to Stumblor for helping resolve a unique issue I was having with the sign. He stuck with me through multiple weeks of emails and testing to find a solution. His support is just phenomenal! And his mods aren't bad either

My pleasure! These kinds of problems can be real head scratchers at times, and when the solution dawns on you it seems so obvious in retrospect. Funny thing is, you're almost never at the keyboard when the epiphany strikes. The joys of coding.

#1463 1 year ago

We're a few days away from sending out the FINAL invoices for Tokyo Neon - the end of an era! No plans to do any of these in the future, so if you still want one, let me know if the next few days please before we move on to other mods.

Thanks massively for all the support & trust!

#1465 1 year ago
Quoted from Lateralus:

Yeah, can you just hurry up already? We still have the back buildings to do, your collab with the atomic GZ, friggin Pulp Fiction...
It's like, you won an award or something and you're acting all fancy strolling along not being busy now.
WE ARE PEOPLE TOO, DAVEY! Jeez smh

Don't forget the Scooby Lanterns and the rest of the Lolly UFO list !!

Honestly though as funny as this is - its the inventory and logistics side of things that I'm finding the hardest to scale. Danny is working here almost every day now, and she's doing an awesome job, but making sure everything is ready for her to work with (and not running out of things) is so difficult. It's this part of the business that is in the most dire need of improving.

Cracking the Stern node board protocol? Working out how to update firmware over wifi? Nah man... it's making sure I've got enough of those 5P 3.96 cables in the box!

#1467 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

It’s been said 1000 times, but what an awesome mod the Tokyo sign is. Install was actually quite easy, the instructions are very detailed. Plus, I cracked 1B for the first time on my first game after install. Coincidence? Surely not.
[quoted image]

I love posts like this and will never tire of them

#1472 1 year ago
Quoted from atg1469:

I hadn’t viewed this thread in a minute, only because I already received my mod, praised its glory and moved on, but I loved coming back and seeing the love and community support in this thing! Davey is a class act and sweetheart of a man, who just so happens to make some incredibly badass stuff! Congrats for all the success and while it may indeed be the “end of an era” know that you’ve set the bar for others and the hobby will be better for it!

Aw man... you're making me blush! Thanks a lot Alec really appreciate that, and the feeling is mutual.

Quoted from etien:

sorry but just to make sure I am well in the last bacth, happy to pay anytime

Yes mate expect a PM in the next 48hrs!

#1476 1 year ago

I was doing a bit of reading on the Medisinyl elvira thread around what Greg's ethos is around discontinuing mods once a run is done, and why he doesn't revisit them after the fact. There's a few reasons - number one, to ensure that customers investments (and the secondary market) is secure and not diluted by further runs, and secondly, to ensure that we as makers can always be pushing forward with new ideas instead of looking back. These are thoughts I've had privately and been grappling with over the past few months, but Greg's position really sealed it for me, so I'm going to take the same approach.

So with that in mind, and with a slightly heavy heart - Tokyo Neon is now DISCONTINUED. Thank you everyone who has contributed to this absolutely unbelievable, insane, crazy ride. Let's make some mods!

Everyone above is on. Everyone below - my apologies - but there's plenty more stuff on the way, so I'll see you for the next one

#1487 1 year ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Got mine today and ran into issue. Hoping someone can help. I have the splitter board and trying to figure out step 26. My splitter board does not match picture in instructions. Instructions say to use CN11 connections but splitter board does not have that nor will the 5 pin cable fit in CN11 on node board as instructed. I'm guessing it goes in the "CN14 IN" on the right side of the board. The only place cable can fit on the node board is the bottom right "CN16" connection used for shaker motor. So I connect cable to "CN14 IN" to "CN16"?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hey - this is the Splitter+ (the better version) and you are right it uses CN14, not CN11.

Follow the install instructions in the Splitter+ documentation here:

https://stumblorpinball.com/docs/splitter

I'll review those sections in the documentation also to make it less.confusing sorry!

#1491 1 year ago
Quoted from mstang01:

You should email/notify your previous customers when you have a new mod for any game, I was four days behind seeing your FF mod thread

Totally. Was a bit rushed this time, but usually we take a carpet bombing approach - pinside thread, email marketing, blog post, youtube vid, insta. I'll do all of those over the next couple of weeks when things settle down a bit.

Quoted from frb:

My connector that was on the board was keyed with silicone at the pin marked x on the splitter plus

That pin marked with the X should be cut before we send them out, but unfortunately we missed a couple with one of the batches. A pair of snips should be able to take care of that. Sorry!

#1499 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I just sent a message to the seller as I'm planning to buy a Godzilla premium. Is there a pro and a premium version? The listing mentions "pro".
Update: Got my answer, found it in the thread "Only the cabling. The premium has a provision for the flasher bulb - the pro doesn't have a mechagodzilla flasher."

I have plenty of the flasher assemblies here too (literally just a flasher socket and two cables) so if anyone needs one to convert a pro kit, just shout.

#1502 12 months ago
Quoted from gmanrulz46:

My sign is not working right. Must be loose connection somewhere

I'll PM you.

1 week later
#1505 11 months ago

Hey everyone! Just a little puff piece for my man J85M who has just announced his very first mod - and it's a banger - the Deadpool 'Hellhouse' sign. Designed by swinks and powered by my very own Lollypops, so full pattern and colour control over WiFi as per usual. 8 different game triggers. Enjoy! Head on over to the thread and show him some big ups.

1 month later
#1523 10 months ago
Quoted from lakerone:

pretty sure there is no difference between the two with this mod.....if I was you buy that as quickly as you can, there will be no more made and very hard to find someone willing to part with it and it is amazing.

Yep that's right, it's only the connection for the flasher socket which can just by cut off the cable loom.

#1529 10 months ago
Quoted from Gubbin:

Welp.. I hope ya'll are right. I pulled the trigger on one gently used. I paid a pretty penny but I'm a sucker for cool shit.

Full support from me should anything go wrong!

1 week later
#1538 9 months ago
Quoted from Gubbin:

Just to make sure I'm doing this right. I cut this cable off with the socket?
[quoted image]

Yep, exactly!

#1546 9 months ago
Quoted from Gubbin:

I'm real tempted for the noddle bar. Assuming all the buildings get the treatment. Is there any risk to "overloading" the node board or power system in a machine with a bunch of these type mods?

Nope all good - the splitter+ was designed specifically with so we could neon-ify all those back buildings

#1548 9 months ago

Hey team neon!

So I'm getting multiple daily requests to do another run of Tokyo Neon, to the point where I'm now considering the possibility. I just wanted to get a quick status check on that, and what people thought about it. Spill!

Here's a brain dump of my feelings on the matter.

1. A big (the biggest?) concern with doing another run is all those amazing people who have paid over the odds for them on the secondary market. I get that this is just the way re-releases work (Stern doing vaults, CGC releasing remakes and disrupting secondary prices) but at the same time I don't want those people to feel put out by my flip flopping. Maybe a discount on an upcoming mod to compensate?

2. Will it impact my ability to get other, newer mods out, in reasonable time? I think this might be less of an issue with our current way of working, as there is always some gap between mod releases that we could fill easily doing a small 100 pcs run of something that has been tried and tested, and could smash out in a week or two.

3. Will current owners be annoyed, that the mod isn't as limited as it was?

It's always really difficult to know where to stop with these things - Paul is finding the same problem with the AGZ - however it really is so amazing and incredible that the reception for what we're building has been so overwhelming, and continuing to be so. Massive gratitude and respect for that.

Scott Danesi always said that one of his biggest drivers for doing TNA2 was to get it into the hands of more people to enjoy, and I can relate to that. That's right - I just compared my dinky little sign to TNA. Deal.

Honesty as always appreciated and loved!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 35.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

5,980 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
15,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Myers, FL
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 185.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 14.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

269 posts in this topic match your search for posts by stumblor. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stumblor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-tokyo-neon-sign-mod?tu=stumblor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.