(Topic ID: 315984)

Godzilla “Tokyo Neon” sign mod (*extended run*)

By stumblor

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,685 posts
  • 870 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by stumblor
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0418 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif
4D303C86-2ED7-4EEA-BE5C-EE208E7708F6 (resized).png
IMG_1207 (resized).jpeg
E8FA8940-74A5-4C68-B634-BA9458D4FF7A (resized).jpeg
B7B0490C-C214-4E12-8258-D1B7D522ABC6 (resized).jpeg
20230420_215504 (resized).jpg
instructions (resized).jpg
20230419_230748 (resized).jpg
20230419_230605 (resized).jpg
20230419_230459 (resized).jpg
20230419_230555 (resized).jpg
BA6EFEF6-CA4A-4020-AB0A-5256C8FD6B06 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #366 A few notes on the ESP8266 controller being used Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #396 WiFi Config - Quick Start Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #398 ZMeny discusses the sign mod on his podcast. Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #442 Documentation Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #664 Updated QR code and links to all documentation Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #881 Final list cutoff - 4th NOVEMEBER 2022 Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #1133 Firmware 1.1 and how to set the right sign to be individually lit Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j85m.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Gotcha, and thanks!
That's 18. in 50 minutes. We're gonna need a bigger list :-/

You better start that second batch mate

#63 1 year ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Well, you've clearly ignored my request (made in another of your threads) where I specifically asked that you review the list of games I own and focus on making your great mods only for those machines. I can't afford to buy GZ, so now I'm totally bummed!

Just buy the mod then, way cheaper than the pin but gives you that GZ feeling

#111 1 year ago

Wow mind blown, when I pestered Davey to make Tokyo style neon signs, I had no idea so many others would like the idea.

Although all credit goes to Davey for taking my simple idea and making something truest amazing!

Now about those other signs mate….?

#254 1 year ago
Quoted from LoserKid_Pinball:

Any plans on making matching signs to go above the ramps?

Yep, check out Davey’s post above #243.

Right ramp sign is next, hopefully I’m okay saying that, pretty sure Davey has mentioned it here or in another thread.

#324 1 year ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Is there a place where we can check if we're on the list?

CC11B125-7AFE-4A88-AAA1-5850F8AE14AA.gifCC11B125-7AFE-4A88-AAA1-5850F8AE14AA.gif
1 month later
#528 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

J85M and Colywobbles fix up look sharp - time to do some beta testing!
[quoted image]
Everything still on track for mid July at the moment. In the meantime I've been refining the code, ironing out a few niggles, and testing like crazy. Second run is filling up - still around 100 places left (out of 250). Absolutely incredible. I'm super happy, but at the same time laser focused on living up to that expectation.
Pinball is rad!

I can confirm that Davey (@stumblor) has hit a home run with this thing!

Baring in mind this is just a proto and improvements have already been made to the next/final revision the quality is absolutely first class this is not your typical off the shelf mod with a couple of LEDs glued into it.

Easy enough install and once it’s up and running the customisation direct from your phone or tablet (whatever you connect to it with) is pretty much endless!

You can make it as simple to understand as the factory sign, so there is no worry of it being confusing or set the light show so the sign goes nuts when you have battle, power up or ally qualified or active.

And it looks bloody when your games powered off too.

Oh and it’s worth also noting, no pictures I took did the sign any justice, when you have it set up and personalised the way you want it the whole thing is just stunning and a joy to watch,

I went with red/yellow animation for battle, green/neon green animation for ally and blue/ice blue animation for power up, when they where ready at the scoop and then a solid lit colour once collected/started.

P.s. Davey are any of the sequences/settings a slow pulse? I’d love to be able to set a slow pulse of two colours, that would change between the two colours with each pulse.
3A8414DB-BDC1-45C5-BD14-E3E4B69C573B (resized).jpeg3A8414DB-BDC1-45C5-BD14-E3E4B69C573B (resized).jpeg7A85B571-8557-47D9-8622-2FFCA112856A (resized).jpeg7A85B571-8557-47D9-8622-2FFCA112856A (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#569 1 year ago
Quoted from Eagle14:

Please remove me from the list. Thanks.

You sold GZ?

2 weeks later
#647 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

The WiFi firmware update functionality is something I'm super proud of - a first for a pinball mod as far as I'm aware.. although happy to be corrected!

When J85M was beta testing he asked me if he could update that way, and to be honest, it hadn't even occurred to me that it could be possible.

C0729245-045F-46C6-92D7-F2DFC30A9C69.gifC0729245-045F-46C6-92D7-F2DFC30A9C69.gif
#648 1 year ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

Davey,
I have to say i am shocked!
Other companies:
From fancy vague announcement and immediate payment to product release i expect 5 Years minimum with absolutely NO communication in between. And then finally give me an unfinished product with lots of workarounds, no instruction and no contact for help.
stumblor:
Super professional introduction, immediate adaption to the CRAZY demand and in no time, shipping a polished high end mod. Your instructions and illustrations as well as the super exact technical explanations blow me away.
I mean just for a pinball mod to wifi update itself with a first bugfix available already for the very first units (still in transit) is really insane! I wonder what a Pinball machine coming from you would be like.
And then the absolutely comfortable notification and ordering process is also soooo smooth.
I wish you all the best. This is the way.

Davey is as clever as he is humble, one of the nicest and most talented guys in the hobby.

I come up with all sorts of crazy shit with no regard for how achievable any of it is and Davey always pulls it off and then some!

3 weeks later
#793 1 year ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

So after you've completely rebuilt Godzilla, what game do you think you'll move onto next?

I’ve been throwing ideas Davey’s way but these Godzilla orders have him busy until 2025

2 weeks later
#872 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Stags6969 has just identified a bit of a fit issue with the Pro. Turns out the Pro has a clear acrylic air ball protector behind the sign, which doesn't have enough room to be refitted when the Tokyo Neon is installed.
[quoted image]
Pro owners - is this something anyone else has noticed? Is it on all builds, or just the newer ones? No help in the manual.
Pro:
[quoted image]
(micro-rant) Why it's requirement for a game that is not designed to have air balls in that area is anyones guess.
We'll look at doing a replacement for those want one.

It will fit, just have to use a little muscle

FFB0BC07-264A-4035-A310-02A0DEE02AAF.gifFFB0BC07-264A-4035-A310-02A0DEE02AAF.gif
#892 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Awesome! Really glad that's working, and thanks for finding that workaround. Maybe it's an iPhone thing? (I'm on android). J85M mentioned something about needing to change a setting on iPhone, let me do some digging.

No need to dig Davey.

Okay so the issue with phones (iPhones) is it doesn’t like you being connected to your wifi network when your trying to connect to the signs inbuilt wifi network.

When using your mobile phone (cell) take it off your home/wifi network and then connect to the signs network ID using your mobile (cell) network.

#894 1 year ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

I also use Android and seem to have the same problems trying to update the firmware that the gentleman above with the iPhone had.
After your recent post, I confirmed the same settings as the gentleman above on my router settings as well.
I think there is a laptop somewhere in the house, I will also give the laptop thing a try!

Take your phone off your home wifi so it’s running off data from your cell network. Connect to the sign and update easy.

I have had this issue with both the prototype unit and the production unit, the sign or phones just do not like being asked to join both networks.

Again take your phone off your wifi network or any wifi it maybe connected to, connect to sign via its closed wifi network and using your cell phones own data you will have no issues.

Note: I have Occasionally experienced delays where the actions in the app do not update/sync with the sign in real time, giving it a minute to catch up with itself seems to sort it out.

9 months later
#1597 9 months ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Hey team neon!
So I'm getting multiple daily requests to do another run of Tokyo Neon, to the point where I'm now considering the possibility. I just wanted to get a quick status check on that, and what people thought about it. Spill!
Here's a brain dump of my feelings on the matter.
1. A big (the biggest?) concern with doing another run is all those amazing people who have paid over the odds for them on the secondary market. I get that this is just the way re-releases work (Stern doing vaults, CGC releasing remakes and disrupting secondary prices) but at the same time I don't want those people to feel put out by my flip flopping. Maybe a discount on an upcoming mod to compensate?
2. Will it impact my ability to get other, newer mods out, in reasonable time? I think this might be less of an issue with our current way of working, as there is always some gap between mod releases that we could fill easily doing a small 100 pcs run of something that has been tried and tested, and could smash out in a week or two.
3. Will current owners be annoyed, that the mod isn't as limited as it was?
It's always really difficult to know where to stop with these things - Paul is finding the same problem with the AGZ - however it really is so amazing and incredible that the reception for what we're building has been so overwhelming, and continuing to be so. Massive gratitude and respect for that.
Scott Danesi always said that one of his biggest drivers for doing TNA2 was to get it into the hands of more people to enjoy, and I can relate to that. That's right - I just compared my dinky little sign to TNA. Deal.
Honesty as always appreciated and loved!

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
#1628 9 months ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:Btw - for those that have been running the mod for a long time, what are your thoughts on hooking it up to the GI or not?
My wife and niece both liked leaving it on all time after their first few games last night.

Leaving it on is my preferred choice, why have such a nice piece of the game unlit.

It will also look a lot less out of place once Davey’s other buildings (Tokyo neon 2, 3 etc) release and are installed, I’ll be leaving them all on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
O'fallon, IL
$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

5,980 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 17.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Chula Vista, CA
$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 2.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Chrome Candy

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

$ 19.99
Electronics
GMods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j85m.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-tokyo-neon-sign-mod?tu=j85m and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.