(Topic ID: 315984)

Godzilla “Tokyo Neon” sign mod (*extended run*)

By stumblor

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,685 posts
  • 870 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by stumblor
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0418 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif
4D303C86-2ED7-4EEA-BE5C-EE208E7708F6 (resized).png
IMG_1207 (resized).jpeg
E8FA8940-74A5-4C68-B634-BA9458D4FF7A (resized).jpeg
B7B0490C-C214-4E12-8258-D1B7D522ABC6 (resized).jpeg
20230420_215504 (resized).jpg
instructions (resized).jpg
20230419_230748 (resized).jpg
20230419_230605 (resized).jpg
20230419_230459 (resized).jpg
20230419_230555 (resized).jpg
BA6EFEF6-CA4A-4020-AB0A-5256C8FD6B06 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #366 A few notes on the ESP8266 controller being used Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #396 WiFi Config - Quick Start Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #398 ZMeny discusses the sign mod on his podcast. Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #442 Documentation Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #664 Updated QR code and links to all documentation Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #881 Final list cutoff - 4th NOVEMEBER 2022 Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #1133 Firmware 1.1 and how to set the right sign to be individually lit Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#745 1 year ago

Please add me to the list!

3 months later
#1151 1 year ago

I just installed the sign this morning and am very impressed with the quality of it. It looks beautiful! I have to get caught up on connecting it to wifi and updating it to the latest firmware (which is completely amazing for a mod!) and based off of this, I would be in for a building mod too! Excellent work and worth every penny.

#1157 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

I'm please to announce a major firmware update! Whoop whoop!
Godzilla Tokyo Neon v1.1.0
* IMPROVEMENT MOD : Access the UI config through a URL & normal WiFi connection
* IMPROVEMENT UI : Add a colour wheel RGB input box to more accurately enter colour
* IMPROVEMENT UI : Rename sign tabs to be more descriptive
* IMPROVEMENT UI : Brightness sliders renamed to be more descriptive
* IMPROVEMENT UI : Patterns section help text, and rename of 'at rest' tab
* IMPROVEMENT MOD : Separation of the sign into 3 individually controlled & triggered sections
* IMPROVEMENT MOD : Pattern 'Sign Glitter' SpinSpeed changed to look nicer
* IMPROVEMENT DOCS : Step 30 changes to mention potential tightness of CN11 fit
* BUG UI : Global brightness doesn't remember it's value
* BUG UI : Color wheel overlaps colours below
* BUG UI : PatternNum resets to zero when updating firmware (or setting defaults)
* BUG MOD : Dimming sometimes makes mode lights lose their 'trigger' status.
* BUG MOD : Triggered patterns sometimes disappear briefly during hectic gameplay
* BUG MOD : Single colour patterns don't respond to 'mix' colours nicely
https://stumbl.org/notes/4CqZpPzx/1.1.0
There are two super interesting parts to this update.
Interesting part 1 - The sign section of the mod (the rightmost acrylic) is now split into 3 different sections, which can all be individually lit with different patterns and colours. This means that they can be synced and triggered directly to the mode lights. It's amazing what this small change does to the functionality of the sign - check it out:

While this is a great addition to Tokyo Neon, it is also a major breakthrough in terms of future mods, because it essentially means that a single LED data line on the ESP8266 can be split into multiple independent groups, massively increasing the output capabilities of the chip. This is going to be used extensively on our upcoming building mod (spoiler!).
By default, the mod will behave in the same way as previous. To turn on the individual sign triggers, go into the UI and change all the 'Sign' At Rest patterns to OFF.
[quoted image]
Interesting part 2 - The UI configuration can now be accessed through a central URL (and from your internal WiFi), which means you no longer have to disconnect/reconnect to the access point of the device. Better yet, ALL of our mods will be registered and accessible in the same way. Super profesh!
To register a mod, just follow these steps:
Step 1. Install firmware 1.1.0
Step 2. Navigate to http://stumbl.org (And be impressed at the ingenious nature of my domain name).
Step 3. Click 'Add Product' and then follow the steps
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Once registered, clicking on the mod will open its UI configuration screen. Phase 2 will be converting this into an app, which will make it even easier to access.
We've been testing the crap out of the above process over the last few weeks, but we did experience some weirdness on certain internal networks (Jedi_Gill has the most insane wifi setup you've ever seen), so please bear with us and report back with your experiences. I've found this to be a huge improvement over the previous way of connecting to the mods so want it to be as good as possible, but it should still be considered alpha at this point. Bear in mind you can still access all the mods in the same way as before, should you wish to.
Massive thanks to Bangback for his installation feedback, wywin for his QA handywork, and especially Jedi_Gill for handing over massive amounts of free labour for nuffin'. You guys are super rad!
Enjoy team!

Just wanted to note that I tried to access the UI config on a 5GHz band and it didn't work, but at 2.4 it did. Thanks again for adding all of this amazing functionality!

#1162 1 year ago
Quoted from sugarhillabe:

Well, this is annoying. FatPanda was 573 on the list and I was 547 and I still haven't gotten mine delivered yet. Royal Mail tracking hasn't worked for two weeks so I don't know if it's a customs issue or what. I'm glad other people are getting theirs, just frustrated that mine hasn't arrived and I don't know where it is. **NOTE: I want to be clear this is not a complaint about Davey -- I know that Royal Mail has the package and it's on its way, that was established before their website went kaputt. He's been great, I just want to get and install this mod.

Use the USPS website for tracking with the same tracking number. Mine was stuck at Chicago customs for about 10 days. I'm sure that's where yours is too.

#1163 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

How do you connect this to WiFi Davey?

The game and mod has to be on (in attract). You need to open up the wifi menu on your device of choice and you'll see the mod listed as one of the things you can connect to. Once you select it, your device will say that it's not connected to the network. Hit "Always Connect" or "Only This Time"

Once you've connected, then you'll need to open a browser tab and enter 192.168.4.1 into your browser bar. You should see the UI.

From there, go to (I think) "Settings" and I can't remember the exact button, but it was on the bottom right on my phone. It'll ask you to type in your network name and password. If you've done that correctly, it will connect. Again, make sure it's on 2.4 GHz band and not 5GHZ.

#1166 1 year ago
Quoted from arrbee:

Is it possible to configure the mode to connect to your home wifi and be available on your LAN?
Or do you have to keep switching the wifi on your phone to connect to the mod any time you want to connect?

That I'm not sure about. I think Davey mentioned working everything into an app. Or using the Alpha method mentioned in his post above. That way is a bit easier I think.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 2.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Chrome Candy

$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Loveland, CO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 17.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

$ 35.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Chula Vista, CA
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

Pinball Machine
Mad Pinball Shop

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-tokyo-neon-sign-mod?tu=FatPanda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.