(Topic ID: 315984)

Godzilla “Tokyo Neon” sign mod (*extended run*)

By stumblor

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,685 posts
  • 870 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by stumblor
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0418 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif
4D303C86-2ED7-4EEA-BE5C-EE208E7708F6 (resized).png
IMG_1207 (resized).jpeg
E8FA8940-74A5-4C68-B634-BA9458D4FF7A (resized).jpeg
B7B0490C-C214-4E12-8258-D1B7D522ABC6 (resized).jpeg
20230420_215504 (resized).jpg
instructions (resized).jpg
20230419_230748 (resized).jpg
20230419_230605 (resized).jpg
20230419_230459 (resized).jpg
20230419_230555 (resized).jpg
BA6EFEF6-CA4A-4020-AB0A-5256C8FD6B06 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,685 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 34.
#351 1 year ago

Im gonna be that guy...

This sign is absolutely awesome, but that sign doesn't actually SAY anything comprehensible.

戦力 does mean like, battle strength, but having 友 after is like friend. Like battle power friend.

Kinda like how you see asians wearing shirts in English that say, maybe "let's fighting love." It sorta says something but it doesnt make sense.

ごめんなさい皆さん。この製品はめちゃくちゃすごいですけど、すこし紛らわしんだ。

With THAT said, this may be the best mod I have ever seen. And I've owned the monkey mod for woz.

#352 1 year ago

Please add me to the 2nd run list. Thanks!

#353 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

戦力 does mean like, battle strength, but having 友 after is like friend. Like battle power friend.

"Battle power friend" is perfect. I would expect it to say no less.

#354 1 year ago

List me as well please'

#356 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Im gonna be that guy...
This sign is absolutely awesome, but that sign doesn't actually SAY anything comprehensible.
Kinda like how you see asians wearing shirts in English that say, maybe "let's fighting love." It sorta says something but it doesnt make sense.

That’s awesome! We now have a name, the “let’s fighting love” mod.

#357 1 year ago

You really made me scroll all the way up that incredibly long opening post to hit the thumbs up button huh.

One of my current hobbies is making full scale LED 'neon' signs, and this is giving me some thoughts, really nicely done at this scale. Definitely a cut above most mods, great blend of design, interaction, and customization.

#358 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Im gonna be that guy...

Really appreciate the feedback on this, thanks! Actually, "Battle power friend" was exactly what I was going for, as it was supposed to represent the modes being lit (Kaiju Battle, Power Up, Summon Ally). However I can see how it could be read like that, especially considering that Japanese text is often read top to bottom. I did make jokes about not knowing in the first post but did have it confirmed from a few native speakers. I think the top character needs to be more of a square than a box, but that wouldn't work with the baffle

#359 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You really made me scroll all the way up that incredibly long opening post to hit the thumbs up button huh.

One of my current hobbies is making full scale LED 'neon' signs, and this is giving me some thoughts, really nicely done at this scale. Definitely a cut above most mods, great blend of design, interaction, and customization.

Hey Aurich, thanks so much! Massive fan of your work also so that really means a lot (your Metallica hammer is completely badass). Would love to see these Neon signs that you're making

#360 1 year ago

Please put me on your list !! Thank You

#361 1 year ago

Please add me the the second run list
thanks

#362 1 year ago

Please put me on the list

#363 1 year ago

What a Phenomenal pinball machine!!! Just SEX!!!!

#364 1 year ago

Love being able to see how much interest a quality mod like this can generate. GZ is so popular that there is a real market for quality mods (which is awesome...I love pimping out mine and getting rid of all that cheap'ish feeling look from the factory)

stumblor a quick question. When you get around to the other signs (probably 2024 with all the backlog of orders will you be able to use the same controller you use for the first sign to help keep costs down? All the signs need attention, and it would be great to (eventually) be able to swap them all out to the new look as a set without breaking the bank.

#365 1 year ago

Was just on your site .Please add me to the list thank you .

#366 1 year ago
Quoted from ray-dude:

Love being able to see how much interest a quality mod like this can generate. GZ is so popular that there is a real market for quality mods (which is awesome...I love pimping out mine and getting rid of all that cheap'ish feeling look from the factory)
stumblor a quick question. When you get around to the other signs (probably 2024 with all the backlog of orders will you be able to use the same controller you use for the first sign to help keep costs down? All the signs need attention, and it would be great to (eventually) be able to swap them all out to the new look as a set without breaking the bank.

Hey mate this is an awesome question and one I've been thinking about a lot recently, especially with regards to the cost factor you mention.

Bit of a backstory first. The Tokyo Neon uses an ESP8266 controller, which was the precursor to the ESP32 (which tends to hog the headlines). While not as powerful as it's bigger brother, the ESP8266 has been my processor of choice for a while now. It's got enough grunt to handle multiple LED patterns, it's got WiFi, hasn't been impacted by the chip shortage (I have no idea why), and even though it's a bit more demanding with its bootup requirements, I've had it running nicely out in the field for long enough that I trust it, and have a mature codebase that supports it. What it tends to lack - is inputs and outputs (GPIO).

For this mod, we're currently using 4 inputs (+3 mode sensors +1 GI sensor) and 5 outputs (+3 mode characters +1 neon border +1 acrylic sign). When I looked at it the other day, I think there is still one more output I could use, which could potentially mean 6 outputs on the next mod, should it need it. Additionally, the outputs could be merged in code, since all are addressable anyway. I'd prefer not to do that, as it's a bit of a faff, and tbh I'm not sure we need to.

So long story short - I think it'll be the same processor

HOWEVER... the plan on the next one is slightly more grand, in that we intend to replace the entire rear right building, rather than just the sign itself. This will impact the cost for sure (larger print, more LED boards) but I'm hoping not by much. It's really hard to say at present - we haven't even had a chance to talk about it !

#367 1 year ago

Could you add me to the list for second run? Thanks!

#368 1 year ago

Please, add me to your list. Thank you.
Cheers!

#369 1 year ago

Add me to the list please, thanks!

#370 1 year ago

Please add me to the list.
Thanks

#371 1 year ago

Please add me to your list- thanks

#372 1 year ago

I think you need to do a bigger version that can be hung on the wall!

#373 1 year ago

Are they ready yet? Heh, just kidding. Man, I am super excited to get this in my game. The stock signs are truly awful.

#374 1 year ago

Please add me to your list- thanks

#375 1 year ago

Put me on your list. Thanks

#376 1 year ago

Yes please!

#377 1 year ago

Has anyone installed the pinwoofer KO sound system ? Is it epic or what?

Godzilla primal scream sound like he in your house looking to open up a can of w.a.?

#378 1 year ago

Please add me to the 2nd run list. Thanks

#379 1 year ago

2nd run, please (and thank you!). It's beautiful.

#380 1 year ago

Forgot to ask, will this also work on the pro? Got so excited to get on the list and forgot to ask.

#381 1 year ago

Please add me to the 2nd run list. Thx

#382 1 year ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Forgot to ask, will this also work on the pro? Got so excited to get on the list and forgot to ask.

Yep, will work on all versions.

#383 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Im gonna be that guy...
With THAT said, this may be the best mod I have ever seen. And I've owned the monkey mod for woz.

my only question is how the hell do you type these symbols?

#384 1 year ago

add me to the list too, please.

#385 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

my only question is how the hell do you type these symbols?

You have to download it for your keybaord. I run mine in Japnese mode exclusively. I watch enough Japanese content that even my YouTube comercials come in Japanese now and then.

Here's a screen shot of my keyboard. Still you have to type out how it sounds in English, then select the kanji/katakana/hiragana that you want from the top:

例えば :
Screenshot_20220612-114835_Messages (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220612-114835_Messages (resized).jpg

#386 1 year ago

Please add me to the list too!

#387 1 year ago

Can I get added to the overflow list please?

#388 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Yep, will work on all versions.

Awesome! Thank you!!

#389 1 year ago

Add me to the list please

#390 1 year ago

Please add me to your list

#391 1 year ago

Please add me to the list times two. My son and I both have a Godzilla LE.

#392 1 year ago

Add me to the list Please

#393 1 year ago

Hey, this looks awesome, please put me on the list for the next run!

#394 1 year ago

Please put me on the list.

#395 1 year ago

Please add me to this list as well! Thanks!

#396 1 year ago

It's been full steam ahead at this end, ordering parts, talking to suppliers, buying very large storage boxes. A few hiccups along the way (I had to reject the initial 750 acrylic prints I got back, which was an interesting conversation :-/ ) but everything is now looking more or less on track. I've found a new resin supplier in the UK who is going to work with me to introduce a bit more of an opaque mix into the Japanese characters/neon section, which should add even more LED diffusion and reduce spotting. Beta testers should also be getting the very first kits in a couple of days.

Unfortunately, a few parts now can't be delivered to me until mid July, so we're looking at around a 2 week delay to what was originally quoted for the first mods going out. Sorry about that. I'm super focused on getting everything looking as good as it can possibly be, so hopefully everyone is cool to wait just a little bit longer for a better end result. I'll keep the thread updated on progress as I go.

While we play the waiting game, here's a video I put together outlining the basics of the WIFI configuration. Sorry about my nasally voice - pollen count in the UK is at epic proportions right now so I'm mainlining cetirizine and enjoying the sun.

#397 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

While we play the waiting game, here's a video I put together outlining the basics of the WIFI configuration. Sorry about my nasally voice - pollen count in the UK is at epic proportions right now so I'm mainlining cetirizine and enjoying the sun.

This is SO amazing! I cant wait!

#398 1 year ago

Can't believe I missed this, but we were mentioned on the Pinball Show! Eeep!

Massive thanks to the awesome ZMeny for the spot and also to my man UVAJED who alerted me to it, and who has obviously got his finger way more on the pulse more than i do.

#399 1 year ago

Strike that! I requested to be on the list but now see that my husband beat me to it by 8 days. We don’t need 2 so disregard this post.

#400 1 year ago

2nd run list for me, please

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 114.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 80.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BomberMods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 16.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,685 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-tokyo-neon-sign-mod/page/8?hl=mjk-911 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.