(Topic ID: 315984)

Godzilla “Tokyo Neon” sign mod (*extended run*)

By stumblor

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,685 posts
  • 870 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by stumblor
  • Topic is favorited by 197 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0418 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif
4D303C86-2ED7-4EEA-BE5C-EE208E7708F6 (resized).png
IMG_1207 (resized).jpeg
E8FA8940-74A5-4C68-B634-BA9458D4FF7A (resized).jpeg
B7B0490C-C214-4E12-8258-D1B7D522ABC6 (resized).jpeg
20230420_215504 (resized).jpg
instructions (resized).jpg
20230419_230748 (resized).jpg
20230419_230605 (resized).jpg
20230419_230459 (resized).jpg
20230419_230555 (resized).jpg
BA6EFEF6-CA4A-4020-AB0A-5256C8FD6B06 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,685 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 34.
#851 1 year ago

Please add me to the list. Thank you

#852 1 year ago

Please add me to the list. Mod looks awesome!

#853 1 year ago

Please add me to the list.

Thank you!

#854 1 year ago

Please add me to the list. Thanks!!

#855 1 year ago

Please add me to the list. Thank you!

#856 1 year ago

Please add me to the next wave of fulfillment as well!

#857 1 year ago

Please add me to the next fulfillment list as well.

#858 1 year ago

My Neon Sign looks so good as is I have not bothered to do any updates ,Am I missing anything ? Thanks Again.

#859 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

My Neon Sign looks so good as is I have not bothered to do any updates ,Am I missing anything ? Thanks Again.

Nothing major - we added a feature where you could control the minimum brightness during dimming, so the sign could be off-ish, but not fully off. That's it though I think. New signs will be shipped with that firmware as standard.

#860 1 year ago

Please add me to the next fulfillment list. Thank you.

#861 1 year ago

Stags6969 has just identified a bit of a fit issue with the Pro. Turns out the Pro has a clear acrylic air ball protector behind the sign, which doesn't have enough room to be refitted when the Tokyo Neon is installed.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Pro owners - is this something anyone else has noticed? Is it on all builds, or just the newer ones? No help in the manual.

Pro:
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

(micro-rant) Why it's requirement for a game that is not designed to have air balls in that area is anyones guess.

We'll look at doing a replacement for those want one.

#862 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Stags6969 has just identified a bit of a fit issue with the Pro. Turns out the Pro has a clear acrylic air ball protector behind the sign, which doesn't have enough room to be refitted when the Tokyo Neon is installed.
[quoted image]
Pro owners - is this something anyone else has noticed? Is it on all builds, or just the newer ones? No help in the manual.
Pro:
[quoted image]
(micro-rant) Why it's requirement for a game that is not designed to have air balls in that area is anyones guess.

Yes. I noticed this as well.
I opted to cap the top of the more center-based post with a screw and then cover that post with a 1-1/16" black rubber sleeve (which acts as a guard against any balls trying to trap back there). With the more right-sided post (closer to the sidewall) I doubled up posts and have 2 spots there (and that post assists the other in blocking any balls trying to trap back there).
There's still technically a corner (between the center most post and the spinner switch) that a ball can find to rest, but in my experience with the pro, because there's not a ramp (like on premium/LE), there's significantly less airballs in that general area. So...so far this has worked fine (as I have not noticed any balls trapped back there since installing this mod and adding to those 2 posts as mentioned).
PXL_20220917_131505557~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220917_131505557~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220917_131546149~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220917_131546149~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220917_131629724~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220917_131629724~2 (resized).jpg

#863 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Nothing major - we added a feature where you could control the minimum brightness during dimming, so the sign could be off-ish, but not fully off. That's it though I think. New signs will be shipped with that firmware as standard.

For those of us who have the mod installed and want to try this GI dimming when GI is off (So when GI is off it just dims as opposed to turn completely off)... when using the Wifi, in advanced settings, if we do not see an option for adjusting the minimum brightness when GI is off option, will we need to hit the "update firmware" button? Or any specific pointers on that/what to do?
Thanks!!!

#864 1 year ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Yes. I noticed this.
I opted to cap the top of the more center-based post with a screw and then cover that post with a 1-1/16" black rubber sleeve (which acts as a guard against any balls trying to trap back there). With the more right-sided post (closer to the sidewall) I doubled up posts and have 2 spots there (and that post assists the other in blocking any balls trying to trap back there).
There's still technically a corner (between the center most post and the spinner switch) that a ball can find to rest, but in my experience with the pro, because there's not a ramp (like on premium/LE), there's significantly less airballs in that general area. So...so far this has worked fine (as I have not noticed any balls trapped back there since installing this mod and adding to those 2 posts as mentioned).[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from ChipScott:

For those of us who have the mod installed and want to try this GI dimming when GI is off (So when GI is off it just dims as opposed to turn completely off)... when using the Wifi, in advanced settings, if we do not see an option for adjusting the minimum brightness when GI is off option, will we need to hit the "update firmware" button? Or any specific pointers on that/what to do?
Thanks!!!

Yep, exactly right Chip - this feature came in version 1.0.10. Thanks so much for showing your experiences and solution with the fit on the Pro as well, nice idea to put a couple of extra spots back there also!

#865 1 year ago

Beautiful mod. Received mine two days ago. Packaging and product are top notch. I followed the excellent directions and had the sign working beautifully within about 20 minutes. However, I hooked up the GI dimming component and now the sign flashes on on boot up and then does not turn on at all. Ideas? Thanks!

#866 1 year ago
Quoted from GranpaDave:

Beautiful mod. Received mine two days ago. Packaging and product are top notch. I followed the excellent directions and had the sign working beautifully within about 20 minutes. However, I hooked up the GI dimming component and now the sign flashes on on boot up and then does not turn on at all. Ideas? Thanks!

Mine did the same so I undid the plug and jumper for gi dimming. I meant to go back and figure it out but forgot.

#867 1 year ago

Please add me to the purchase list.

#868 1 year ago

Add please

#869 1 year ago
Quoted from GranpaDave:

Hello mate, could you check please the following things

1. Does the GI bulb that you are connecting too light up as expected?
2. Is the GI bulb connection to the extender the correct polarity (ie red to red and black to black)?
3. If correct polarity, is the GI switch on the back of the mod set to A? (If polarity is reversed, you can set to B instead)

Feel free to PM me some pics so we can work out the solution.

#870 1 year ago
Quoted from mstang01:

Mine did the same so I undid the plug and jumper for gi dimming. I meant to go back and figure it out but forgot.

Hi - your mod was one of the first off the line so slightly different problem this one I think, if you could check the following post please with a solution

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-tokyo-neon-sign-mod/page/13#post-7052055

All questions feel free to PM me!

#871 1 year ago
Quoted from joelbob:

I can’t even imagine what you’d do for TNA but go ahead and add me to the list

Me too…. And add me to the GZ standby list.

#872 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

[quoted image]
Pro:
[quoted image]

It will fit, just have to use a little muscle

FFB0BC07-264A-4035-A310-02A0DEE02AAF.gifFFB0BC07-264A-4035-A310-02A0DEE02AAF.gif
#873 1 year ago

Put me on the list please!

#874 1 year ago

I've tried connecting to my WiFi (weak signal, low expectations) and my iPhone's hot spot but can't get either to work. I'm in the setup menu and the coin door is closed or the switch pulled. Any suggestions?

#875 1 year ago

Please add me to the standby list.

#876 1 year ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

I've tried connecting to my WiFi (weak signal, low expectations) and my iPhone's hot spot but can't get either to work. I'm in the setup menu and the coin door is closed or the switch pulled. Any suggestions?

Hi - so just to confirm, you have been able to make the initial connection to the Tokyo Neon access point okay, and this is when you click 'Update Firmware' and attempt to connect to your home WiFi?

We have had another report of a user experiencing the same problem, weak signal also, but was also unable to connect to the phone hotspot (which was always the way to get around the weak signal issue). I'll run some tests tonight and see if I can replicate.

#877 1 year ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Okay! So I've just tested the latest board, with the latest firmware, and I can connect directly to both my home wifi, and also my (android) phone hotspot. So failing a replicable test, I've been doing a bit of research into the ESP8266 and router compatibility, and discovered there's a couple of gotchas that would be worth looking at.

== Things to check if you can't connect to home WiFi ==

Thing to check #1
Are you connecting to a router set to a channel 12, 13, or 14? Apparently those channels are not legal for use in geographical regions governed by the FCC (duh everyone knows that). The ESP is a stickler for the rules and wont connect to those channels.

Thing to check #2
Are you connecting to router that is exclusively 5GHz? If so, don't! The ESP only plays friendly with the 2.4GHz band. Most routers will allow you to setup both bands.

Thing to check #3
Are you connecting to a router that uses a WEP password? WEP is pretty long in the tooth now, and really you shouldn't be using it to secure anything other than stuff you want stolen. Plus, the ESP8266 doesn't like it. Update your password security to WPA, now!

All of these points apply whether you are connecting directly to a home router, or to a phone hotspot (in the case of a weak wifi signal in your games room). Router setting can usually be accessed by navigating to 192.168.0.1 and entering your admin pass, usually displayed somewhere on your router.

If you are having issues connecting to WiFi to update your firmware, please feedback whether any of these suggestions solved your problem, it would really help! Thanks!

#878 1 year ago

Obligatory picture post!

Looks awesome and will dive into those settings later.

Instructions to install were very straight forward.

20220921_163605 (resized).jpg20220921_163605 (resized).jpg20220921_163615 (resized).jpg20220921_163615 (resized).jpg
#879 1 year ago
Quoted from Joker19:

Obligatory picture post!
Looks awesome and will dive into those settings later.
Instructions to install were very straight forward.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks awesome! Thanks for posting. Obligatory pictures posts make my day

#880 1 year ago

Can you add me to the reserve list if it’s still available to join? Thanks

#881 1 year ago

Massive THANKYOU everyone for your continued support! 662 orders and counting!

Apologies for the lack of updates - I've been keeping my head down over the last month and focusing on getting as many signs out as possible. Even my dad, who is supposed to be on his UK holiday this month has doing some assembling and boxing (it's a family business dad - stop complaining!). Don't feel bad, he actually quite enjoys it. I've also found some other local help who is going to assist doing the assembly, which should mean we can send stuff out faster for the remainder of the list, and for future mods also. nice! As any mod maker will tell you, managing inventory and assembly is one of the hardest bits to get right, and has certainly been challenging, especially on this scale.

Right so current status !

SENT: #362
ASSEMBLING: #362-408
RATE: ~ 50 units a week

The list is going up around 20 places a week SO we've decided to extend things slightly, order some more parts and try to fit everyone in now - which should be good news for those on the reserve list.

By MID NOVEMBER we are moving off this mod and onto the Lolly UFO kit, so the cutoff for taking names with be 4th November. Lots of new and exciting stuff on the way, so gotta keep things moving!

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to the success of this mod. It's been life changing, honestly.

#882 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

[quoted image]
Pro:
[quoted image]

I just notched my clear plastic!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#883 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Massive THANKYOU everyone for your continued support! 662 orders and counting!
Apologies for the lack of updates - I've been keeping my head down over the last month and focusing on getting as many signs out as possible. Even my dad, who is supposed to be on his UK holiday this month has doing some assembling and boxing (it's a family business dad - stop complaining!). Don't feel bad, he actually quite enjoys it. I've also found some other local help who is going to assist doing the assembly, which should mean we can send stuff out faster for the remainder of the list, and for future mods also. nice! As any mod maker will tell you, managing inventory and assembly is one of the hardest bits to get right, and has certainly been challenging, especially on this scale.
Right so current status !
SENT: #362
ASSEMBLING: #362-408
RATE: ~ 50 units a week
The list is going up around 20 places a week SO we've decided to extend things slightly, order some more parts and try to fit everyone in now - which should be good news for those on the reserve list.

Just curious about where I am on the list? No rush, just trying to spread out all these mod purchases. Thanks....

#884 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Just curious about where I am on the list? No rush, just trying to spread out all these mod purchases. Thanks....

The list is on the first post.
I think you are 532.

#885 1 year ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

The list is on the first post.
I think you are 532.

Dam, forgot the list was on the opening post. Thanks! Looks your right after me..

#886 1 year ago
Quoted from J-Freeze:

The list is on the first post. I think you are 532.

Quoted from Bohdi:

Dam, forgot the list was on the opening post. Thanks! Looks your right after me..

Self managed thread! I like it

Hopefully around 3 weeks away in that position.

#887 1 year ago

Thank you for the quick response, Stumblor!

Quoted from stumblor:

Thing to check #1
Are you connecting to a router set to a channel 12, 13, or 14? Apparently those channels are not legal for use in geographical regions governed by the FCC (duh everyone knows that). The ESP is a stickler for the rules and wont connect to those channels.

Nope, channel 1

Quoted from stumblor:

Thing to check #2
Are you connecting to router that is exclusively 5GHz? If so, don't! The ESP only plays friendly with the 2.4GHz band. Most routers will allow you to setup both bands.

Nope, it has both and am trying the 2.5GHz network

Quoted from stumblor:

Thing to check #3
Are you connecting to a router that uses a WEP password? WEP is pretty long in the tooth now, and really you shouldn't be using it to secure anything other than stuff you want stolen. Plus, the ESP8266 doesn't like it. Update your password security to WPA, now!

Nope, WPA2

So, I checked all of the above then went downstairs with my laptop instead of my iPhone to try again. IT WORKED! I usually don't take my laptop downstairs so had never tried using it instead of the iPhone.

My advice to anyone else having trouble when using their iPhones - USE YOUR LAPTOP!!!

#888 1 year ago

With the myriad of customization options available, let's see what people have done to make theirs unique! Obviously the pictures are easy to post but what would be the best way to show the settings you have chosen?

#889 1 year ago

Please put me on the list. I want to order one.

#891 1 year ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack: So, I checked all of the above then went downstairs with my laptop instead of my iPhone to try again. IT WORKED! I usually don't take my laptop downstairs so had never tried using it instead of the iPhone.
My advice to anyone else having trouble when using their iPhones - USE YOUR LAPTOP!!!

Awesome! Really glad that's working, and thanks for finding that workaround. Maybe it's an iPhone thing? (I'm on android). J85M mentioned something about needing to change a setting on iPhone, let me do some digging.

#892 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Awesome! Really glad that's working, and thanks for finding that workaround. Maybe it's an iPhone thing? (I'm on android). J85M mentioned something about needing to change a setting on iPhone, let me do some digging.

No need to dig Davey.

Okay so the issue with phones (iPhones) is it doesn’t like you being connected to your wifi network when your trying to connect to the signs inbuilt wifi network.

When using your mobile phone (cell) take it off your home/wifi network and then connect to the signs network ID using your mobile (cell) network.

#893 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

I also use Android and seem to have the same problems trying to update the firmware that the gentleman above with the iPhone had.
After your recent post, I confirmed the same settings as the gentleman above on my router settings as well.
I think there is a laptop somewhere in the house, I will also give the laptop thing a try!

#894 1 year ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

I also use Android and seem to have the same problems trying to update the firmware that the gentleman above with the iPhone had.
After your recent post, I confirmed the same settings as the gentleman above on my router settings as well.
I think there is a laptop somewhere in the house, I will also give the laptop thing a try!

Take your phone off your home wifi so it’s running off data from your cell network. Connect to the sign and update easy.

I have had this issue with both the prototype unit and the production unit, the sign or phones just do not like being asked to join both networks.

Again take your phone off your wifi network or any wifi it maybe connected to, connect to sign via its closed wifi network and using your cell phones own data you will have no issues.

Note: I have Occasionally experienced delays where the actions in the app do not update/sync with the sign in real time, giving it a minute to catch up with itself seems to sort it out.

#895 1 year ago

This is a post that is probably just rehashing a ton of other similar posts, but the Neon Tokyo sign mod is easily one of the best mods I've come across. The build quality and depth of lighting options is STAGGERING. This thing is SOOOO gorgeous, and pictures etc do NOT do it justice.

Installation was not necessarily difficult as long as you follow the very CLEAR and helpful instructions. And the wifi adjustments is on another level. I'm truly blown away, and wanted to send a vote of confidence for Davey and his mods!! Buy with confidence... And one more thing - Follow through and communication was a solid A+

Finally, it's Stumblor (Davey's) birthday today... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

#896 1 year ago

please at me to the secondary list...thanks' so much

#897 1 year ago

Another very happy customer. Great job on this mod Davey!

1E9F720A-87AC-4564-9B25-A85B023EC928 (resized).jpeg1E9F720A-87AC-4564-9B25-A85B023EC928 (resized).jpeg
#898 1 year ago

Can you please add me to the list? Thanks!

#899 1 year ago

I just put in my Godzilla Premium Order. Please add me to the reserve list. Thanks!

#900 1 year ago

I am on the list already but wondering how/when I need to pay you when my spot gets closer?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Land O' Lakes, FL
€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
$ 375.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinMod Industries

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Island, NY
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Side Gig Studios

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 14.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

15,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,685 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-tokyo-neon-sign-mod/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.