(Topic ID: 315984)

Godzilla “Tokyo Neon” sign mod (*extended run*)

By stumblor

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,680 posts
  • 869 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 days ago by PopieJopie
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0418 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif
4D303C86-2ED7-4EEA-BE5C-EE208E7708F6 (resized).png
IMG_1207 (resized).jpeg
E8FA8940-74A5-4C68-B634-BA9458D4FF7A (resized).jpeg
B7B0490C-C214-4E12-8258-D1B7D522ABC6 (resized).jpeg
20230420_215504 (resized).jpg
instructions (resized).jpg
20230419_230748 (resized).jpg
20230419_230605 (resized).jpg
20230419_230459 (resized).jpg
20230419_230555 (resized).jpg
BA6EFEF6-CA4A-4020-AB0A-5256C8FD6B06 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #366 A few notes on the ESP8266 controller being used Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #396 WiFi Config - Quick Start Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #398 ZMeny discusses the sign mod on his podcast. Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #442 Documentation Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #664 Updated QR code and links to all documentation Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #881 Final list cutoff - 4th NOVEMEBER 2022 Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Post #1133 Firmware 1.1 and how to set the right sign to be individually lit Posted by stumblor (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 1,680 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 34.
#1 1 year ago

Hi everyone - my name is Davey from Stumblor Pinball. Hopefully, a few of you will know me already and are familiar with the mod work I’ve done. Mostly I’ve been focused on Creech, with mods such as the Chase Echo (a redesigned chase board) and Move Your Snackbar (a lighting mod for Swinks Snackbar). More recently I’ve been focused on Lollypops (reactive LED lighting for pop bumpers and slingshots) and Pinpoint (a WPC sound sniffing mod development kit). I’ve been really fortunate with the support I’ve had both in the UK and abroad - everyone has been super positive and its that enthusiasm which drives me forward. High fives!

Around two weeks ago I received my first ever NIB - a Godzilla prem. Jeez Louise what a game. The layout, shots, rules and overall aesthetic is just on another level and since its arrival I’ve been absolutely addicted to it. My personal life is suffering as a result.

I feels for you bro, but get to the point

J85M recently got in touch with me wondering if I could take a look at the signs in Godzilla. His thought was that a ‘Tokyo’ style neon sign would fit perfectly with the theme. This instantly got my creative juices flowing (ew) so I immediately did what all great designers do - hit up google images to find some signs to blatantly copy.

pasted_image? (resized).jpegpasted_image? (resized).jpeg

Sexy

Super sexy

Dial it back a few notches please

So what is it?

The idea is this - design a 3D, Tokyo style, RGB LED lit sign, with Japanese lettering to indicate which mode was currently running, and use it to replace the existing signs in Godzilla. The lettering would be transparent, baffled from the front and lit from the back so that it appeared like a neon sign. The right side of the sign would be reverse lit acrylic with english so all us Gaijin’s would know what the hell is going on.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Those letters on the left are supposed to say ‘Battle’, ‘Power’ and ‘Friend’ in Japanese but please if there are any Japanese speakers in the room and I’m wrong please keep it to yourself as I really don’t wanna know. At least it’s not a tattoo that says ‘wanker’ right?

The electronics that drive the whole shebang is a variation of my Lollypops board, which means that each individual letter, the neon border, and the right hand sign are all individually controlled and lit, and best of all are 100% configurable over wifi, so you can have whatever colours and patterns you like - and don’t need to know a lick of programming to do it. I usually stick to pinks and ice blues because that’s my thing, but if you want them in red and green, and flashing like a maniac when triggered - you can totally do that. Personally that would make me start frothing at the mouth, but hey, you be you.

The way I have it setup is that when the mod detects one of the inserts is flashing, it fires off two triggers - one that starts a pattern on the corresponding character and one that does a ‘fire’ pattern for a few seconds on the neon border. Better explained visually I think:

The ‘at rest’ pattern you can see is running the ‘glitch’ pattern, which is meant to look like a slightly failing neon sign (like in my ‘Move Your Snackbar’ mod) however like everything else this can be changed to whatever you like.

What about when the GI turns off?

One of the really atmospheric aspects of GZ is the lighting. especially when the GI turns off. I’ve built a GI monitoring mechanism that allows the mod to pick up when the GI turns off, and dims the sign accordingly. If you’d prefer it to be on all the time, the GI monitoring can be disabled.

What about the flasher?

Yep, the flasher is incorporated into the back the unit.

What’s it made out of?

The sign itself will be produced in a black, high detail 3D print material. The PCB is a double sided WiFi enabled affair, with 56 x WS2812-2020 LEDs. The transparent insert used for the Japanese characters is transparent resin, and the signage to the right is reverse printed UV 2mm acrylic.

Installation is simple and should take around 20 minutes. Everything plugs into existing connections, so no soldering or croc clips required. Power comes from the 12V ticket dispenser connection, CN11 on cabinet node 1. This is the same powering mechanism used by PinMonk’s flipper fans, but we will provide a fused splitter board if you plan to run both.

What if I don’t like your acrylic design?

There’s 3 to choose from, and every kit will come with all three.

Can I see it in the actual machine?

Sure!

And some gameplay:

How much?

Price is going to be around £179 give or take (approx $220 USD) plus delivery, and I’m hoping to start mailing out toward the end of June. No pre payment required, just reply in the thread and I’ll stick you on the list.

The first run is only going to be a batch of 20. I might do more later, but this is it for now. If this is proves popular I’ll do the other signs (and buildings maybe) as well, four in total.

EDIT (29 May 22) Well 20 was never going to do it. We're looking at a much bigger initial run now, capped in a few days time. Massive thank you for the support! Still looking to do the other GZ signage later on down the road, 4 in total.

EDIT (6th Jun 22) First run of 250 is now closed, however the overflow list is already 100 strong so looking very likely that we'll do a second run at some point. Let me know if you want to be added.

EDIT (27th Jun 22) Few weeks to go before we start production. Only waiting on the outer shell print and the PCBs. 2nd run has about 80 places left.

Any questions or comments, feel free to hit me up!

Davey

--------------------------------------------------------

We're taking names for the extended run!

Check our progress (and your position) on the website:

https://stumblorpinball.com/products/gtn1

#2 1 year ago

Looks cool, put me on the list.

#3 1 year ago
7ndat (resized).jpg7ndat (resized).jpg
#4 1 year ago

Please put me on the list.

#5 1 year ago

Awesome mod, great job.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Looks cool, put me on the list.

Quoted from Noma2017:

Gotcha both, thanks very much!

#7 1 year ago

Killer!
Add me to the list

#8 1 year ago

Add me to the list, thx.

#9 1 year ago

Amazing. Please add me to the list.

#10 1 year ago

Add me to list please, pretty cool
Thanks

#11 1 year ago

After I buy your other kit I may add this into the order to ship together.

#12 1 year ago

put me on the list please

#13 1 year ago

Looks awesome! Put me on the list.

#14 1 year ago

Crikey it's going off!

All above added to the list (thanks very much!). That's 11 spoken for.

#15 1 year ago

Add us to the list please

#16 1 year ago

add me too!

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Blakester:

Add us to the list please

Both down - thanks again!

#18 1 year ago

Looks incredible! Put on me on the list.

#19 1 year ago

Looks great..please add me to the list..I want one

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from CloudHearts:

Looks incredible! Put on me on the list.

Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Looks great..please add me to the list..I want one

#21 1 year ago

Put me down!

#22 1 year ago

this mod is so well done. i wish i had a game to put it in!

#23 1 year ago

Looks great. Please add me to the list.

#24 1 year ago

Please put me also on the list! this is good stuff!

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from OilGuy:

Looks great. Please add me to the list.

Quoted from trueno92:

this mod is so well done. i wish i had a game to put it in!

Honestly, GZ is the best pinball I've ever played. It's just so much fun. Track one down!

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Days:

Please put me also on the list! this is good stuff!

Gotcha, and thanks!

That's 18. in 50 minutes. We're gonna need a bigger list :-/

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Gotcha, and thanks!
That's 18. in 50 minutes. We're gonna need a bigger list :-/

You better start that second batch mate

#28 1 year ago

Please add me to the list

#29 1 year ago

I must have this! Add me to your list please.

Thanks

#30 1 year ago

Please add me to your list. Looks bad ass!

#31 1 year ago

Put me on list please.

#32 1 year ago

Please add me to the list!

#33 1 year ago

Please add me to the list.

#34 1 year ago

Put me on the...wait...I don't have a GZ. I just wanted to fit in : (.

Don't put me on the list : (.

But very beautiful mod - well done!

#35 1 year ago

Please add me to the list

#36 1 year ago

Which UFO mod is that?

#37 1 year ago

If you can add me to the list as well.

#39 1 year ago

Looks awesome please put me on the list

#40 1 year ago

Put me on the list please...super cool

#41 1 year ago

Put me on the list please.

#42 1 year ago

Add me to the list.

#43 1 year ago

Please add me to the list.

#44 1 year ago

Please put me on the list. Great work!

#45 1 year ago

#46 1 year ago

Looks like a "gotta have". Please put on the list too. Thanks.

#47 1 year ago

I need this. Put me down for one please!

#48 1 year ago

Well, you've clearly ignored my request (made in another of your threads) where I specifically asked that you review the list of games I own and focus on making your great mods only for those machines. I can't afford to buy GZ, so now I'm totally bummed!

#49 1 year ago

Davey, that looks great! Add me to the list.

#50 1 year ago

Please add us to the list

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
There are 1,680 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-tokyo-neon-sign-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.