• Latest reply 1 year ago by Rich_Ice
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Coil_Temp_Chart_Spike_2023-03-08-sml (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I received my Godzilla premium a couple of weeks ago. It's a great game. Today 4 of us played for three hours straight and it seemed like toward the end the flippers were not as strong. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with flipper cooling units and who you would recommend. Second question, I was thinking about upgrading the speakers. I've seen kits. Some just replace the existing speakers, and some replace the speakers and add a amplifier. Any recommendations? Just an afterthought. Would a flipper cooling kit and an added amplifier need to be plugged into the same power supply connector? That would be a problem.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Rich_Ice:

I received my Godzilla premium a couple of weeks ago. It's a great game. Today 4 of us played for three hours straight and it seemed like toward the end the flippers were not as strong. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with flipper cooling units and who you would recommend. Second question, I was thinking about upgrading the speakers. I've seen kits. Some just replace the existing speakers, and some replace the speakers and add a amplifier. Any recommendations? Just an afterthought. Would a flipper cooling kit and an added amplifier need to be plugged into the same power supply connector? That would be a problem.

I upgraded my Godzilla speakers to pinwoofers super kit. Only regret was not getting it sooner. Dan makes an awesome product and great customer service.

https://pinwoofer.com/pinwoofer-spike-super-kit/

I made my own cooling fan for Godzilla. Message me and I can show you what I used. Cost me like $23 for everything.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Rich_Ice:

I received my Godzilla premium a couple of weeks ago. It's a great game. Today 4 of us played for three hours straight and it seemed like toward the end the flippers were not as strong. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with flipper cooling units and who you would recommend.

Godzilla definitely has flipper fade on long play sessions. I have plug and play cooling kits for these:

2 flipper kits
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/04203-tibetan-breeze-spike2-flipper-coil-cooling-kit

3 flipper Godzilla SE kit
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/06750-3-flipper-coil-tibetan-breeze-green-special-launch-edition-1

And a premium 3 flipper ZEN kit
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/07377-tibetan-breezezen-3-flipper-cooling-kit-for-stern-spike

...available in the pinside pinmonk store and on pinmonk.com. There's also a magnet cooling kit for Godzilla.

If you DIY it, make sure not to get the fan too close (don't mount directly to the coil) or the magnetic field of the coil will shorten the life of the fan. Also, make sure you get a fan with a good amount of CFM (airflow). The balancing act is CFM and noise, since the higher the CFM goes the more noise the fan makes.

Here's the chart I do that has peak temperatures for most Spike machines, including Godzilla:
Coil_Temp_Chart_Spike_2023-03-08-sml (resized).jpgCoil_Temp_Chart_Spike_2023-03-08-sml (resized).jpg

#4 1 year ago

For the ease, plug and play aspects, and great quality:

Pinwoofer kit and PinMonk’s cooling fan system. Neither one affects the other regarding hookups.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Rich_Ice:

I received my Godzilla premium a couple of weeks ago. It's a great game. Today 4 of us played for three hours straight and it seemed like toward the end the flippers were not as strong. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with flipper cooling units and who you would recommend.

Roughly same build date as yours. Flipper lost power. Chrcked under playfield and the flipper coil became unscrewed and was hanging by a couple of wires. Luckily found all the screws in the cabinet.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Roughly same build date as yours. Flipper lost power. Chrcked under playfield and the flipper coil became unscrewed and was hanging by a couple of wires. Luckily found all the screws in the cabinet.

Ah, that's a good point. He should definitely check the notoriously crappy Stern coil stops for his flipper coils to make sure they aren't loose or the center post broken, especially if the weakness persists after the machine is turned back on the next day. Look for gold dust immediately under them in the cabinet. If you see that, you have a broken coil stop and need to replace it. A loose or broken coil stop will rob significant power from a flipper.

Pinball life sells inexpensive replacements that are very durable:

https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html

#7 1 year ago

Don’t have experience with the fans but pinwoofer kits are amazing. Also, Dan has some of the absolute best customer service you will find.

#8 1 year ago

Thank you for all of your replies. The flippers did not stop working. It just seemed like it eventually got harder to make some of the ramp shots and the loop shot. I will check the coil stops and look for anything loose after I receive my art blade protectors. The coils were warm after three hours of play but not hot. I could keep my fingers on them. I'm just thinking keep them cooler would help. The Pinwoofer kit seems like it would enhance the entire play experience. More bass along with better sound and the shaker vibrating the cabinet. Sounds like a good time.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 35.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Pinball Machine
Mad Pinball Shop
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy
Protection
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods
Shooter rods
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
€ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Shore, NY
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, OK
$ 14.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-speaker-upgrade-and-flipper-fade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.