• 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by altan
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pic (resized).jpg
There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

I have played both. I bought the Pro. It is still a total blast.
If I could have gotten a Premium at MSRP I would have gotten that just for the extra cool add-ons. Just not worth the extra 4-5K for the Premium in this market. I found and got my Pro NIB the next day for $6900

premium was 1800 price difference.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Quoted from BadBrad97:

If I could have gotten a Premium at MSRP I would have gotten that...

Quoted from BadBrad97:

...Just not worth the extra 4-5K for the Premium in this market.

Reeeeeead

#53 2 years ago

nothing stopping him from putting a order in with a distributor. When thinking new titles, i never consider secondary market for something I can buy new. Unless it's cheaper secondary.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

It’ll probably be a $2500 difference by the time my Pre gets here in ‘23, but still worth it IMO.

#56 2 years ago

I usually go Premiums on Sterns but won't overpay for any pinball machine no matter how good. So I got a NIB Pro for a great price and am never looking back.

We have had a total blast and even though we have all played a lot of the LE version at the grand Pinball Palace, we don't miss the extra features.

The pro version is still totally amazing with a genius layout, great art, and amazing software. Doubt I will bother to upgrade even if they become available easily in the future. The pro rocks so much I don't care.

If you can get a Premium now then go for it. Otherwise get a Pro and then thank me later.

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

It’ll probably be a $2500 difference by the time my Pre gets here in ‘23, but still worth it IMO.

But you are going to lose out on a whole year of Godzilla. Easily the greatest game Stern has ever made. Bad call human.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

WAS

I’ve played both and I am fine with the pro.
Enjoying the he’ll out of mine!
Either way you choose I feel sterns best game to date!

#59 2 years ago

Had played premium first. Then pro. Then I went back to premium (all at local arcades) and agonized about prem vs. pro. Have had Pro for a few weeks and totally forgot about the premium.

Sure I’ve been having fun with mods and playing games every day. But I haven’t missed the MG, the bridge, or the loving building one bit.

Now I’m not a good player/shooter so the difficulty of the pro vs. prem shots never really resonated as a deciding factor for me.

Nobody will be disappointed with the Pro on this game. IMHO.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

But you are going to lose out on a whole year of Godzilla.

My friend just put a Premium in location, so I can get my fix. I still have to decide what to sell too, that’s getting harder.

#61 2 years ago

I received a NIB GZ Pro on a trade, and realized I'm not up to speed on the Pro/Premium differences. I studied the feature matrix, but am now perplexed to learn that this apparently doesn't enumerate all the differences?!

Notably, from scanning a couple of threads, there are software differences.

Super Train Loops timed mini-mode is added on the Premium. I find this a little strange as it's not really particularly related to the different mechs, although the moving building is incorporated, it's certainly not required. The pro could easily have something similar, but it's complete absence is a little distasteful to me. I know Stern has done some topper-tied modes, but is this rule-difference unrelated to physical features something new?

I was pleasantly surprised that even the Pro has the same RGB LED spec and dual-color general illumination. But now I'm reading allusions to enhanced or extra lighting on the Premium? Are there truly more elaborate light shows programmed on the Premium? I would be particularly disappointed in this one, especially as the feature matrix seems to infer the lighting is the same on all the models.

For me personally, the biggest considerations are diversity of play and the lighting effects. I like how the building can divert to feed left or right flipper on the premium, as this varies game play. The MechaGZ turn table also gives that area some varying shots since it's now not static like the pro. The bridge does too, but seems more trivial so that one doesn't add much value. One thing that came to mind though, Stern could have easily kept diversion through the building on the pro with a simple and cheap single-coil Radical-style criss-cross diverter. I'm really disappointed they didn't do that.

Are there other differences that aren't covered in the feature matrix? Can someone quantify the exact lighting differences? Is this substantial and throughout the game play?

I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to keep the pro. I think it will come down to if the lighting effects are actually significantly different. When I played Iron Maiden Pro after playing the Premium a bunch, the more primitive lighting made the play seem less exciting.

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I received a NIB GZ Pro on a trade, and realized I'm not up to speed on the Pro/Premium differences. I studied the feature matrix, but am now perplexed to learn that this apparently doesn't enumerate all the differences?!
Super Train Loops timed mini-mode is added on the Premium. I find this a little strange as it's not really particularly related to the different mechs, although the moving building is incorporated, it's certainly not required. The pro could easily have something similar, but it's complete absence is a little distasteful to me. I know Stern has done some topper-tied modes, but is this rule-difference unrelated to physical features something new?
I was pleasantly surprised that even the Pro has the same RGB LED spec and dual-color general illumination. But now I'm reading allusions to enhanced or extra lighting on the Premium? Are there truly more elaborate light shows programmed on the Premium? I would be particularly disappointed in this one, especially as the feature matrix seems to infer the lighting is the same on all the models.
For me personally, the biggest considerations are diversity of play and the lighting effects. I like how the building can divert to feed left or right flipper on the premium, as this varies game play. The MechaGZ turn table also gives that area some varying shots since it's now not static like the pro. The bridge does too, but seems more trivial so that one doesn't add much value. One thing that came to mind though, Stern could have easily kept diversion through the building on the pro with a simple and cheap single-coil Radical-style criss-cross diverter. I'm really disappointed they didn't do that.
Are there other differences that aren't covered in the feature matrix? Can someone quantify the exact lighting differences? Is this substantial and throughout the game play?
I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to keep the pro. I think it will come down to if the lighting effects are actually significantly different. When I played Iron Maiden Pro after playing the Premium a bunch, the more primitive lighting made the play seem less exciting.

Play that b#*%+
If you end up not enjoying the pro as much sell it and get premium later! Seems you can’t lose on this one!

#63 2 years ago

Your eye for lighting details is enhanced and beyond what I can comprehend. But I don’t notice any significant visual differences in light effects between the two models. Software wise the differences seem negligible too. Unlike Maiden and AIQ, where the differences with the pro model are bigger and easily noted. Maybe this is why playing GZ pro is so satisfying. You get 95% of the experience and are just missing the icing and sprinkles. True that the last 5% tastes better than the 95%, but having a whole cake without icing is still a pretty good day.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

#64 2 years ago

Wife and I both played pro and premium at expo and it was a no-brainer for either of us.

Premium’s mechs and toys define what makes modern pinball so special. Pros are designed for location - less maintenance, and when you buy 2-4 pins per year (plus other arcades and redemptions), those thousands add up.

But I swear, Stern could release a $3999 version of Godzilla with no playfield art, no cabinet art, no back box, no speakers / sound, and no legs, and a lot of people would post here justifying how their white wood Zilla box-on-the-floor is more fun than the premium.

“Art is distracting, I can see inserts and shots better”

“I just jam my own music anyhow, and I don’t need callouts since I know all the modes”

“Game is on the table, not on the lcd screen”

“Cabinet art doesn’t affect gameplay”

“I play better sitting down”

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to keep the pro. I think it will come down to if the lighting effects are actually significantly different.

I think the only lighting differences are that the Premium has spotlights for the MechaGodzilla and Godzilla figures. You could easily add those to the Pro if you wanted to.

#66 2 years ago

When I play the pro I miss the diverter for the first few games.

When I play the premium I get tired of waiting for the building after the first few games.

When I'm in the zone I forget which one I'm playing.

One of Elwin's more underappreciated talents is splitting the pro/premium in a way that both games feel complete.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

I know Stern has done some topper-tied modes, but is this rule-difference unrelated to physical features something new?

Using the primitive technology of 2018 "Can I Play With Madness" mode was too complex to implement on IMDN Pro without a physical scoop. Thankfully in 2021 pinball's greatest scientists found a way to approximate the experience by harnessing the awesome computing power of Insider Connected. What a time to be alive.

Sadly even this wasn't enough for Super Train Loops but who knows what advances we'll see as quantum computing improves. Hopefully they'll offer an upgrade kit for purchase.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

I do appreciate some of the extra lighting effects when I find myself in front of an IMDN premium. When I last replaced some GI bulbs in my pro I foolishly used the reference sheet for a premium and installed red bulbs in 3 sockets. I knew I'd fouled something up the first time they flashed in sync with the music and at first I was worried about damage to the pro playfield which was not designed to handle such awesome wavelengths but 2000 plays later it seems to be holding up. Sadly the "RGBeacon" chase light remains too advanced for my understanding.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Your eye for lighting details is enhanced and beyond what I can comprehend. But I don’t notice any significant visual differences in light effects

Do you mean because I noticed the difference on Iron Maiden? I found that really obvious and wasn't looking for differences. But I haven't opened my GZ pro, so it's not about what I've noticed on that title, I'm curious about people mentioning lighting differences.

Quoted from MikeS:

I think the only lighting differences are that the Premium has spotlights for the MechaGodzilla and Godzilla figures. You could easily add those to the Pro if you wanted to.

If that's all it is, definitely not a big deal. But seems strange that people would refer to this as a distinguishing feature of the premium. Still looking for a definitive answer.

#68 2 years ago

I think the pro is fun and a good value (for pinball). So if you want a great game but want to save some money then get the pro. If you get the pro and add a bunch of mods to it then I would probably recommend spending that extra money on the premium and just keep the premium stock.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Do you mean because I noticed the difference on Iron Maiden? I found that really obvious and wasn't looking for differences. But I haven't opened my GZ pro, so it's not about what I've noticed on that title, I'm curious about people mentioning lighting differences.

If that's all it is, definitely not a big deal. But seems strange that people would refer to this as a distinguishing feature of the premium. Still looking for a definitive answer.

I was originally commenting on your breakdown of super trains on GZ. But to your question, I wonder if lack of proof, is sufficient proof. Wondering how you’d close the loop … if an answer doesn’t appear in 500 hours? 5 years?

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I was originally commenting on your breakdown of super trains on GZ. But to your question, I wonder if lack of proof, is sufficient proof. Wondering how you’d close the loop … if an answer doesn’t appear in 500 hours? 5 years?

I could probably just carefully watch and compare some gameplay videos, I just figured someone would know or has recently played the games back-to-back at a show maybe and noticed what's up. Or maybe this guy below has more insight since he mentioned "extra lighting"?

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

As for the pro/premium debate, both machines are fantastic. I personally am a sucker for mechanical toys so opted for the premium. I love watching the building sink, Mechagodzilla turn and grab the ball, the extra lighting, and the bridge collapse. Is the game play any different? Not really. If you are going to keep the game forever and are impressed by the machine moving and manipulating the ball path go with the premium. If not, go for the pro!

#71 2 years ago

if the pro had the building divertor it would truly be supreme

after playing the pro (which i own) and LE / premiums quite a bit, the divertor is really the only thing i wish the pro model had, can do without the rest of the fancy bits that feel like they slow the game down

2 weeks later
#72 1 year ago

Not sure what you mean. My point was. You can't get a Premium at MSRP right now. If you get on a list, it may be next year before you get a game. Premium NIB are going for 12-13K. Pros can be found for 7K right now.

#73 1 year ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

Not sure what you mean...

I was telling Neo to actually read what you wrote

#74 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I was telling Neo to actually read what you wrote

OK. now I get it.

#75 1 year ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Stern could have easily kept diversion through the building on the pro with a simple and cheap single-coil Radical-style criss-cross diverter.

Is this something that could be added with a mod, or too complicated?

#76 1 year ago

I've been enjoying my pro the past month! Super fun. Money wasn't an issue for me, but more the wait.

#77 1 year ago

I played the Pro most of year last year and this. I only had my premium for a few weeks
But I feel like there’s just so much more going on in the premium.

1 week later
#78 1 year ago
Quoted from Rcarpen22:

i think the bigger problem with trying to add a diverter to a PRO would involve the software used to raise and lower it, not the physical parts

1 week later
#79 1 year ago

Having played both the pro and premium for awhile, the one thing that stands out to me about the pro is the mechagodzilla spinner shot. On the pro, it just immediately feeds the ball back around to the flippers which adds nice flow to the game. There are a few ways that the pro plays faster like the virtual ball locks and the static building.

On the other hand, the pro requires more imagination on the part of the player to follow what's going on in the plot of the game. It's hard to distinguish which shots are affecting the "bridge" vs. the building, or "mechagodzilla". But, not having those mechanical elements in the game should make the game more reliable over time. There's basically nothing complex happening on the pro.

And, of course, it's absolutely ridiculous that mecha/godzilla would be a flat pieces of plastic on the pro. That feels like a bit of a low blow from stern. The flat plastics probably cost the same as a cheap action figure. Hard not to feel burned by that and that's exactly how they wanted us to feel.

#80 1 year ago
Quoted from creepykenny:

if the pro had the building divertor it would truly be supreme

after playing the pro (which i own) and LE / premiums quite a bit, the divertor is really the only thing i wish the pro model had, can do without the rest of the fancy bits that feel like they slow the game down

Diverter would be ideal. Hell. Even a flasher/some lighting in the building would be a nice addition without costing much more than pennies for hardware.
But.
The lack of a physical ball lock realy hurts this pro. Even a simple Up-Post setup like Maiden's Trooper Multiball would have gone a long way towards inproving the pro.
Honestly, there isn't a single shot on the Pro that is inherently satisfying. You can hit endless combos and connect all sorts of stuff... but there isn't a single shot on the Pro that has that punctuation needed for satisfaction.

It's a fun game, but the Pro won't last here for very long. As far as layout goes, t's just not as good as Elwin's previous efforts.

#81 1 year ago

Where are you all ordering these from?

Are any suppliers better than others?

2 months later
#82 1 year ago
Quoted from Rcarpen22:

It's complicated, but it can be added.

Quoted from creepykenny:

i think the bigger problem with trying to add a diverter to a PRO would involve the software used to raise and lower it, not the physical parts

This is true, but I've solved it.

Quoted from guitarded:

Diverter would be ideal. Hell. Even a flasher/some lighting in the building would be a nice addition

Yes, the building is rather uninspired on the pro. I took it as a challenge to address and have added a diverter and burning-building lighting effects, both integrated appropriately with gameplay.

I'm pre-announcing it on this lower-volume thread, because I'm only interested in sellilng to a few early-adopters at this point. I would like to have some others use it besides just me. It's expensive as far as mods go, but unlike most mods, it includes a physical mech, and has sophisticated integration software controlling it. It is $595. It includes the burning building lighting effects. If seriously interested in one and want to know more, PM me.

#83 1 year ago

I would have gotten a premium but the demand is crazy and most retailers seem to be asking inflated prices for them. I haven't seen one near MSRP for a while even with recent shipment, most retailers seem to be cranking up the price a couple extra grand and thats getting ridiculous.

#84 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I would have gotten a premium but the demand is crazy and most retailers seem to be asking inflated prices for them. I haven't seen one near MSRP for a while even with recent shipment, most retailers seem to be cranking up the price a couple extra grand and thats getting ridiculous.

It’s true but if you are willing to hunt and network it can be done. I bought a nib premium at MSRP last weekend.
I am sure it helped that is was just on the line and some stock was injected to the market.

#85 1 year ago

If you had a one pin collection and it was GZ pro. You’d be the 2nd happiest person in the world. Only person happier would be a GZ LE/premium Owner. With above mod you can have your pro play closer to a premium. So no matter which model GZ you choose, you are a winner.

#86 1 year ago

Here is some demo video of the diverter and burning building mod. When the building is engulfed in flames*, the ball path through the building gets diverted, similar to the premium. Additionally, charge up your heatray, and hit the action button for a mini-heatray blast that diverts the ball selectively under your control!

(* Automatic diverting is activated when 2/3rds of the building is burning. The algorithm is more complex, but that's approximate. )

#87 1 year ago

Very cool!!

7 months later
#88 1 year ago

April 1st 2023
Bought NIB on hand under 9k!
Oh happy days

#89 1 year ago
Quoted from La4s:

Keith Elwin said himself that it was by design that all the balls drain SDTM. It was done so balls can not be one-timed back up to the building as it is still raising.
He expressly states it in of the following interview (I am too lazy to relisten to find out which one).
Free Play Pinball Podcast Ep 13: Dissecting A Goat - Special Guest Keith Elwin
https://www.thepinballnetwork.net/e/free-play-pinball-podcast-ep-13-dissecting-a-goat-special-guest-keith-elwin/
Just Another Pinball Podcast Ep 33: Godzilla Deep Dive w/Keith Elwin
https://www.thepinballnetwork.net/e/just-another-pinball-podcast-ep-33-godzilla-deep-dive-wkeith-elwin/</blockquote

This is incorrect, he said something along the lines of - if the game is tuned properly the balls will hit the tip of the left flipper if the flipper button is held when the balls drop

This

Keith Elwin said himself that it was by design that all the balls drain SDTM. It was done so balls can not be one-timed back up to the building as it is still raising.
He expressly states it in of the following interview (I am too lazy to relisten to find out which one).
Free Play Pinball Podcast Ep 13: Dissecting A Goat - Special Guest Keith Elwin
https://www.thepinballnetwork.net/e/free-play-pinball-podcast-ep-13-dissecting-a-goat-special-guest-keith-elwin/
Just Another Pinball Podcast Ep 33: Godzilla Deep Dive w/Keith Elwin
https://www.thepinballnetwork.net/e/just-another-pinball-podcast-ep-33-godzilla-deep-dive-wkeith-elwin/

2 weeks later
#90 1 year ago

Personally this is one game where you have to get premium. I have a few that it is premium or bust: jurrasic park, godzilla, avengers Infinity quest, and ghost busters for me, are "gotta have em premium."

But most pinball is still good pinball.

#91 1 year ago

I'll disagree and say I actually prefer the Pro. That slow-ass moving building gets boring quick. I don't really care which way the ramps divert, plenty of games do that. The super train loops mode is also boring and takes way too long. The collapsing bridge just interrupts the flow too. The rotating spinner lane is fine but I can live without it.

Actually the one thing I miss playing on the Pro is the fact that the Premium has you plunge for a skill shot after a ball lock. That's significant for the points and ball saver, and particularly if you can hit the super secret shot into the scoop for an ally.

But by compensation, there is one thing significantly better on the Pro, the start of Godzilla multiball. You can quickly beat the autoplunge to the magnet and and get a ball into play to start shooting for jackpots early. Much better than waiting an hour for the building to dump the balls where you have no control.

#92 1 year ago

Plus one for the PRO all day. Unless you ENJOY waiting around for your ball to keep playing.
PS: LE's are for the people that don't know what else to do with their $$

#93 1 year ago

I have owned a lot of games and can easily say the Godzilla Prem /Le is the total package. And the extras make it well worth the upgrade. Lots of games where a few things really don't matter but this game is definitely a Prem way to go.

#94 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Personally this is one game where you have to get premium. I have a few that it is premium or bust: jurrasic park, godzilla, avengers Infinity quest, and ghost busters for me, are "gotta have em premium."
But most pinball is still good pinball.

Disagree on Godzilla and AIQ. I also think that Ghostbusters is way more enjoyable as a Pro. I have a buddy that recently bought a Godzilla Premium and is considering trading down for a Pro because he likes how it plays more. I know the vast majority prefer Godzilla Premium and are wowed by the mechs in the game, but there are still a number of us that genuinely prefer the Pro's gameplay.

#95 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

... prefer Godzilla Premium and are wowed by the mechs in the game, but there are still a number of us that genuinely prefer the Pro's gameplay.

And isn't this the right answer?

It's personal preference! Some people like lots of stuff on their pin and appreciate all that stuff moving and interacting with the ball as well as the gameplay. Is that you? Premium is for you. OTOH, If you don't care about that and want more flow? Pro is for you. Neither is wrong!

Each person evaluates pins differently...

#96 1 year ago
Quoted from altan:

And isn't this the right answer?
It's personal preference! Some people like lots of stuff on their pin and appreciate all that stuff moving and interacting with the ball as well as the gameplay. Is that you? Premium is for you. OTOH, If you don't care about that and want more flow? Pro is for you. Neither is wrong!
Each person evaluates pins differently...

I rate pins based on how many RGB LEDs it has....

#97 1 year ago

With GZ it’s premium all the way, the mechagodzilla turntable mech is great fun! The lowering building is great and mixing up the ramps is fairy unique and fun and the bridge is actually a lot better than I expected it to be.

3 pretty big mechs over the pro. If you where asking me about Bond I’d be saying pro all day.

#98 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

With GZ it’s premium all the way, the mechagodzilla turntable mech is great fun! The lowering building is great and mixing up the ramps is fairy unique and fun and the bridge is actually a lot better than I expected it to be.
3 pretty big mechs over the pro. If you where asking me about Bond I’d be saying pro all day.

When it comes to Bond, for me it's "no" all day. Not Doctor No, just regular no.

Godzilla is the number one have to be premium for me. There are countless I could go either way, but I just can't with this one.

#99 1 year ago

+1 for pro. Flow over mechs all day.

#100 1 year ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

+1 for pro. Flow over mechs all day.

+1 for premium all year. Plenty of flow on premium. “Oh, it takes too long for this animation..”. You are that important playing pinball you can’t wait 30s? It’s art, heathens.. Premium- all day, year, millennia..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BomberMods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
O'fallon, IL
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 80.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 14.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,980 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, OK
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 123 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-pro-vs-premium-/page/2?hl=theadicts77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.