Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GZ-BurningBuilding (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Even before I got my Godzilla pro, I was wondering "wouldn't it be nice if the pro had some kind of diverter." I also thought that the building was disappointingly plain. When I found some video showing the interior of the building, I saw there was lots of space inside. That led me to decide to go ahead and pick up a pro, thinking it would be fun to experiment with improvements. Figuring out a proof of concept that worked mechanically did not take too long. But from there, the challenges got bigger. I found a way to activate the diverter under player control with the handy action button already on the game. But I decided a dynamic mod like this deserved a higher level of integration, and it would be nice if it worked similar to the premium, keeping the intended gameplay design. That is the one that was the huge challenge, integrating the operation with game play. But after several months of research and development, the DMCS was born, and solved this.

The DMCS is the Dream Mods Control System, which has a computer at its core, and provides a revolutionary level of interactivity to mods. It can basically handle a large number of inputs in novel combinations and control and trigger numerous mods. But enough about the DMCS for now, let's look at what you're interested in, the Godzilla mods at hand.

Back to what got me going down this path in the first place: adding a diverter and making the building more interesting. That resulted in two individual mods, that each leverage the DMCS. The diverter is probably self-explanatory, but some more details about its operation shortly. The other mod is the burning building mod. As with all DMCS mods, the intention is to bring a new level of dynamic effect. Are you ready for real flames coming out of the building?! Ha, okay, not quite, but it is more than the traditional lighting mod. The added interactive lighting effects show the increasing building damage and emulate the realtime game progress. Additionally, how could you hit the building and have no effect?! Now you get light up explosion effects! Although each of these mod stands on its own, they go so well together, at this time they're only being offered together as a package.

Back to the diverter. When the building is mostly engulfed in flames, the ball path through the building gets diverted, similar to the behavior of the premium. In addition, when your heatray is charged, hit the action button for a miniblast which will divert the ball selectively under user control, or cancel an auto-divert. It's rare that the mods you imagine are exactly what you're able to implement, but the DMCS made it possible.

More definitively, these are the 3 rules governing the diverter behavior:

1. When the building is burning 2/3rd or more, the diverter is automatically triggered on ramp shots. This is similar to the premium, except I decided to make it happen a little earlier otherwise you barely get to experience it.

2. When your heatray is fully charged, you can hit the action button for a miniblast which activates the diverter for a short time. It's enough time that you can trigger it before executing a ramp shot.

3. When your heatray is fully charged, and autodivert is qualified as per rule 1, the action button can cancel a divert. IE. the ramp shot activates the diverter, then press action before ball reaches building to cancel. I've found it's most effective to quickly, repeatedly hit the action button while the ramp shot is in progress to achieve this successfully, so that you don't have to focus on exact timing.

This seems to work well: simulates the main scenario from the premium, and in addition, offers several varieties of play with user interaction, that I find add to the fun. But I got some feedback wanting other behavior as well. So I'm offering a couple of configuration options. The above rules will be the default, but you can specify whether or not to have the auto-diverting based on the burning building progress. You can also specify whether or not you want the actioin button to trigger diverts at all, and whether it always works or only when you've charged up your heatray.

I'm offering both mods, along with the DMCS computer board for $595. In the future, I will likely offer the mods and the DMCS board a la carte. You only need one DMCS board and it can control many mods.

Here's an introductory SPECIAL: the first five purchasers will be able to buy up to two more future GZ DMCS mods at half price. The very FIRST claimant can choose to get one mod FREE if preferred! Claim the specials by posting in this thread and following through. (* This offer is now expired)

Did you say "more mods"? Yes, more about that in a bit. But first, have a look at the videos demonstrating the existing mods below. The second one focusses on canceling diverts, which isn't shown in the first.

NOTE, if the diverter is your primary interest, I'm only going to make a run of 20 of these at this time. I'm not sure if I will make more than that: they're labor intensive to make, involving metal work and welding, and I want to get to the other mods. If I do offer more, it might be a while before that happens.

GZ-BurningBuilding (resized).jpgGZ-BurningBuilding (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

More mods... Yes, I already have ideas for a couple more GZ DMCS mods. Up to this point, I've always got my hands on a premium model when I wanted a machine. My goal is, all these DMCS mods will give me a "Godzilla DMCS pro", which may not be equivalent to the premium, but will have a comparable level of interactive, dynamic, and fun features. Not to mention at a significantly lower price.

By the way, it can get confusing with the number of mods out there. I suppose no one else came up with a diverter, but still, the names of these mods are as follows.

1. GZ DMCS Diverter
2. GZ DMCS Burning Building
3. GZ DMCS Heatray
4. GZ DMCS Saucer

It seems like some haven't been content with the existing heatray offerings, and I have some additional ideas about dynamic behavior that the DMCS can achieve, so that's why that one's on the list.

For the saucer, I realize there's a bunch already, but I want something with a higher level of dynamic effect and interactivity. I have some fun ideas I'm working on.

Now, if there's something else you'd like to see, or something that you've dreamt up, do describe it, and let's see if we can push the limits of the DMCS! Other ones I've heard requested are the Maser Cannon. If you have some ideas for dynamic effects or interactivity for that, let me know. Or maybe something for the Jet Fighters?

#3 1 year ago

Really interesting project @highvoltage, nice work!

Interested in seeing more about DMCS - could you post some photos of the board and explain how it connects to the game?

#4 1 year ago

Impressive!

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Really interesting project HighVoltage, nice work!
Interested in seeing more about DMCS - could you post some photos of the board and explain how it connects to the game?

Thanks! You buyin' or are you spyin'? Ha, not surprised a modder is more interested in the how than the what, but want to keep the focus on the GZ mods in this thread. In that regard, everyone will be glad to hear the connections are all straight-forward plug 'n play, nothing primitive or cumbersome like soldering or aligator clips involved.

But, I will add, if any modders have a popular mod that they think could benefit from enhanced interactivity and dynamic effects, I'm open to have them plug into the DMCS and will configure it to do so. Even if it's similar to a mod I'm making myself, I don't mind making the controller do the same on others' mods. PM me if that interests anyone.

#6 1 year ago

Very impressive! Keep up the good work.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Thanks! You buyin' or are you spyin'? Ha, not surprised a modder is more interested in the how than the what, but want to keep the focus on the GZ mods in this thread. In that regard, everyone will be glad to hear the connections are all straight-forward plug 'n play, nothing primitive or cumbersome like soldering or aligator clips involved.
But, I will add, if any modders have a popular mod that they think could benefit from enhanced interactivity and dynamic effects, I'm open to have them plug into the DMCS and will configure it to do so. Even if it's similar to a mod I'm making myself, I don't mind making the controller do the same on others' mods. PM me if that interests anyone.

I'm sure there would be lots of modders (me included) that would be interested in connecting to a spike 2 game this way, which is why it would be great to see some more info about it. If you're getting game data from the CPU via serial, that's awesome as it's something that has elluded people for a while. If you're hooking into the node boards, that might be a worrying factor for some people. See what I mean?

From a buyers perspective, I would want to see pictures of everything in the kit before committing to a 595 asking price, which is big money to be putting behind a few videos alone.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from stumblor:

I'm sure there would be lots of modders (me included) that would be interested in connecting to a spike 2 game this way, which is why it would be great to see some more info about it.

I already stated exactly what any modders can do if they have interest in leveraging the DMCS abilities. Anything more than that is beyond the scope of this thread.

And for anyone genuinely interested in buying the Godzilla mods, let me know if you need any further information.

#9 1 year ago

I've always wanted the saucer to move when hit similar to hitting the vengeance from star trek or the saucer from attack from mars. I've tried this with springs but failed miserably.

Also a nice looking maser cannon that can really light up the playfield would be satisfying.

#10 1 year ago

Nice initiative

DMCS seems very advanced, can I assume it should be compatible with other Spike 2 machines ? Do you intend to only sell it as part of a mod (designed by you or someone else), or sell it separately as a "Spike 2 control box" ?

Maybe setup a different thread to discuss DMCS opportunities would be preferred though.

#11 1 year ago

Deleted

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

I've always wanted the saucer to move when hit similar to hitting the vengeance from star trek or the saucer from attack from mars. I've tried this with springs but failed miserably.
Also a nice looking maser cannon that can really light up the playfield would be satisfying.

That's a cool idea, I think it would be really nice if GZ pro had some mechanical toys. The diverter is nice in that you see that it's affecting the ball, but it's less of a visual toy than what you're thinking. I might give it a bit more thought, but first I'm curious to see what I have in mind is received. That sounds like a nice logical idea for the maser cannon too.

2 months later
#13 1 year ago

The saucer and heatray mods have taken a little longer than I planned, but I'm announcing them tomorrow, along with a Christmas special offer. The old offer is expired.

Having a computer control system for these mods opens up all kinds of opportunity. It's easy to keep adding more features and more refinements. The question is when do you stop? I didn't want potential early adopters to miss out on something I might add later. Even though the software can be upgraded, it might require some technical ability and be a burden. So I decided to address that aspect. I've made the software update process really easy, elliminating any such concerns.

The DMCS now has a built-in web interface that can be accessed over WiFi. Updating is as easy as selecting a file, and clicking the "upload" button, and all while the DMCS remains installed in your machine! As long as I added the web interface over WiFi, I decided to leverage it to also allow the end user to choose configuration options for the mods.

Full details on everything coming tomorrow...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-pro-dmcs-diverter-and-dmcs-burning-building-mods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.