Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
20220507_000321 (resized).jpg
20220506_095850 (resized).jpg
20220506_095752 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hello, I have a Godzilla premium that I just got new in the box last month. Set it up and had no issues for a couple weeks. We probably have over 100 plays on it at this point (haven't checked the counter) and I'm having an issue with where the building keeps getting stuck in the same spot.

When the building lowers all the way down to release the balls for multiball, it gets stuck while raising back up. The building is solidly jammed and the motor starts making a grinding sound as it's trying to keep pushing the building up. If I manually work the big screw in the back it unbinds and is fine again, until it lowers back down of course. It looks like it's pushed forward and it's getting caught on the lip around the base of the building. I can't figure out why the building is leaning forward like that. I've taken the mech out of the game and examined it and I can't find a reason why the building wants to lean forward other than there is some play in the mechanism which makes it seem a bit loose. I can't see where I could possibly tighten that up. I wish I had taken pictures last night but I was hoping I would just find a topic already explaining the issue, however I'm not finding one.

I found one thread talking about loose screws on the back of the building but there are no loose screws getting in the way here.

Right now I just have the building disabled so we can play the game.

Any suggestions would be very helpful!

#2 1 year ago

Definitely need to see a picture on where the getting caught at.

#3 1 year ago

Added some pictures although didn't take the mech out this time so it's kind of hard to see exactly what's happening. You can see from the picture under the playfield that the building is pressed against the playfield in the front. The only way to free it is reverse the stepper unit screw to lower the building until it gets loose and then manually raise it up. Of course the building has no problem raising up while the playfield is in the upright service position as it's not leaning forward that way.

Also I was wrong on my first post as the lip of metal is actually at the base of the 3rd floor. I can see how it's not flush with the front of the building. I'm assuming the building is leaning forward while being raised and then getting stuck on that lip of metal. Once fully raised up it seems there is plenty of clearance between the front of the building and the playfield, so it must only have a problem while raising up.

Once the building is raised up, it looks as if it has plenty of space

20220506_095752 (resized).jpg20220506_095752 (resized).jpg20220506_095850 (resized).jpg20220506_095850 (resized).jpg
#4 1 year ago

Make sure the the Blue rubber nubs have not dislodged. This has been discussed in the Godzilla thread.

#5 1 year ago

You described the exact issue I am having with my Godzilla Premium.

“When the building lowers all the way down to release the balls for multiball, it gets stuck while raising back up. The building is solidly jammed and the motor starts making a grinding sound”

#6 1 year ago

I believe I have fixed the problem although I'm not sure I would recommend what I did.

Also this has nothing to do with the blue nubs, my nubs are actually black in my game and are where they should be.

So I continued on with my theory that the building is too loose, that's why it keeps leaning forward and getting stuck. I looked at where it attaches to the big screw that raises and lowers the building. There are two nuts that connect a plate that wrap around the screw which holds the big nut that big screw goes through. I thought maybe I should tighten those nuts on the plate, there are convenient holes in the bottom plate to get my nut driver through and everything.

This turned out to be a bad idea as one of the threads snapped when I over tightened the nut. However I also noticed the other nut was just spinning. Then I discovered the screws these nuts were attached to were actually riveted in. Not fun.

So I just decided to go for it and took the building out of the game. It was very tough getting the spinning nut/screw off, I didn't have the right tools so basically was beating and prying it off for an hour and bending all the metal and definitely felt like a hack operator, and wondered if I was going to be breaking my building beyond repair. I got lucky when the whole screw snapped off and left a nice hole to put a new screw through.

I removed the other broken riveted screw and now I have 2 screws with nuts in their place. Now I can tighten this whole base and now my building doesn't feel loose anymore. It's been raising and lowering like a champ.

I took a picture where you can kind of see the screws I replaced.

Overall I didn't have much hope of getting Stern to do anything about it seeming that their support number just tells me to send an email, which I did with no response yet. Also this really makes me not want to get a premium game with complex mechs again as although this is the most fun pinball I've ever played, the frustration this building has caused has really cancelled it out. I really have my doubts on how well this building is going to hold up long-term.

20220507_000321 (resized).jpg20220507_000321 (resized).jpg
#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Edennis:

“When the building lowers all the way down to release the balls for multiball, it gets stuck while raising back up. The building is solidly jammed and the motor starts making a grinding sound”

Call your Distributor, and email Stern tech support. I have always recieved prompt support. I never just let emails just sit unanswered. You have to be vigilant with Stern.

The building has seen some issues in the main Godzilla forum from the blue nub holders, to the lower switch bracket, but your issue I believe may be a 1st.

#8 1 year ago

I opened a support ticket with Stern about a month ago, agreed you have to be persistent with support to keep things moving. They finally sent me a replacement building, and I installed the new building over the weekend, and everything is good.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Edennis:

I opened a support ticket with Stern about a month ago, agreed you have to be persistent with support to keep things moving. They finally sent me a replacement building, and I installed the new building over the weekend, and everything is good.

Glad to hear. I have been on Stern about my broken bridge plastic since day one and I just was informed by tech support I will receive one when I receive one. How sad. So I will juat see if Pinballlife has them in stock and modify my bridge coil stop.

#10 1 year ago

Just to clarify which screws I'm looking at in the picture... was it the two little screws that most closely flank the main screw that raise the building up and down?

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Just to clarify which screws I'm looking at in the picture... was it the two little screws that most closely flank the main screw that raise the building up and down?

Yep those would be the ones. Originally they are riveted in with nuts on the underside. In my picture you can see the screw heads are now on the bottom and the thread pokes through the top (just used whatever screw I had available and fits). You cant see it but I've added little nuts on the top to help tighten things up.

You can also see the metal is a bit bent from all my beating and prying on it at least that doesn't affect anything.

1 week later
#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Edennis:

I have the same issue from the start and waiting over 4 months for a new building now....meanwhile it is just disabled to at least be able to play

My distro asked me specifically not to remove the building or disassemble it until I get the new one, regarding the warranty, but Stern still has not answered when the building will be available

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbRecords:

Hello, I have a Godzilla premium that I just got new in the box last month. Set it up and had no issues for a couple weeks. We probably have over 100 plays on it at this point (haven't checked the counter) and I'm having an issue with where the building keeps getting stuck in the same spot.
When the building lowers all the way down to release the balls for multiball, it gets stuck while raising back up. The building is solidly jammed and the motor starts making a grinding sound as it's trying to keep pushing the building up. If I manually work the big screw in the back it unbinds and is fine again, until it lowers back down of course. It looks like it's pushed forward and it's getting caught on the lip around the base of the building. I can't figure out why the building is leaning forward like that. I've taken the mech out of the game and examined it and I can't find a reason why the building wants to lean forward other than there is some play in the mechanism which makes it seem a bit loose. I can't see where I could possibly tighten that up. I wish I had taken pictures last night but I was hoping I would just find a topic already explaining the issue, however I'm not finding one.
I found one thread talking about loose screws on the back of the building but there are no loose screws getting in the way here.
Right now I just have the building disabled so we can play the game.
Any suggestions would be very helpful!

Same problem, although mine makes the grinding sound, then stops, waits a while, and then just goes up fine. Reported to Stern and they said they would send me a new one. Like mentioned in previous post, been waiting for over 4 months now, doubting to take it out to inspect, but seeing the other post with the complete mech bent, I don't think I will...

2 weeks later
#14 1 year ago

I had the same building problem, and had some luck putting 2 washers behind the assembly on the back side (blue circles in the image).

This allowed the building the tilt back just enough so it cleared the playfield opening at any point during the up/down movement.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
2 weeks later
#15 1 year ago

My GZ from the May 2022 run had the same issue on the first play out of the box. The first time the building went down, it got stuck on the way back up and started making a grinding sound. I haven't identified the cause yet, but it sounds the same, building gets stuck, put the playfield up, manually turn the screw, it can travel the full length just fine.

I noticed a few mm of play in the building as it rides up and down the screw and 2 guide rails. I'm not sure if that's normal or even if that's the cause, but the small front/back movement seems to be key, at least pushing it back fixes things.

2 months later
#16 1 year ago
Quoted from xyntec:

I have the same issue from the start and waiting over 4 months for a new building now....meanwhile it is just disabled to at least be able to play
My distro asked me specifically not to remove the building or disassemble it until I get the new one, regarding the warranty, but Stern still has not answered when the building will be available

Any luck getting your replacement building?

6 months later
#17 1 year ago

Hi, I'm having an issue with my building. GZ Premium 3 days old, initially a ball got stuck in the building and I manually lowered the building to release it. then the Building bracket was hitting the bottom of the playfield in the front of the building on the way up. I adjusted it and it seems clear. However now on start up the building seems to go too high and the motor grinds and continues try to rise. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks, Frank

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:I had the same building problem, and had some luck putting 2 washers behind the assembly on the back side (blue circles in the image).
This allowed the building the tilt back just enough so it cleared the playfield opening at any point during the up/down movement.
[quoted image]

Hi there. I am having the same issue with a corner of the building getting stuck on the metal lip trying to raise. The screws in the back that you put washers behind had the hard plastic spacers. In our case the existing spacers leave almost no threads left (the locknut is flush with the end of the post). How did you manage this? Thanks

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Make sure the the Blue rubber nubs have not dislodged. This has been discussed in the Godzilla thread.

Hi there. What are the blue nubs you are talking about? The spacers? I have compressible style spacers in the front and hard plastic (thicker) ones in the rear? Are those the nubs? Thanks

9 months later
#20 4 months ago
Quoted from Proton124:

Hi, I'm having an issue with my building. GZ Premium 3 days old, initially a ball got stuck in the building and I manually lowered the building to release it. then the Building bracket was hitting the bottom of the playfield in the front of the building on the way up. I adjusted it and it seems clear. However now on start up the building seems to go too high and the motor grinds and continues try to rise. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks, Frank

I am having the same issue where the building doesn't lower enough and the balls get stuck in the building. Did you end up contacting Stern support?

#21 4 months ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

I had the same building problem, and had some luck putting 2 washers behind the assembly on the back side (blue circles in the image).
[quoted image]

Appreciate this and the diagram. Helped a lot and a good solution!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Pinball Machine
Mad Pinball Shop

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Island, NY
$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-premium-building-stuck?hl=eyeamred2u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.