(Topic ID: 315014)

Godzilla PRE or Alien; Which would you choose?

By Scotty_K

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Godzilla PRE or Alien; Which would you choose?”

• Gozilla Premium; this one stomps the competition! 137 votes
    69%
  • Alien; this one eats the others alive! 51 votes
    26%
  • Neither; keep Twilgiht Zone, you dummy! 12 votes
    6%

(200 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CA697BBA-0F88-46BE-9FD3-05D963F5A194 (resized).jpeg
8E7A5D48-33A9-421E-A3BB-DDB4F8FBC5B7 (resized).jpeg
9E6E9660-B0F2-4C98-A641-AD6A0B42254B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Scotty_K.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

Having returned from this past weekend’s Pinfest in Allentown, I have decided that I might like to purchase a NIB machine. Alas, due to space restrictions (as well as financial ones, too!), I’m going to have to depart with my beloved TZ, but that’s another story (once a dream theme for me, until these newfangled ones came along!).

Anyway, I thought that I would ask the great Pinside community that, presented with the choice of Godzilla Premium or Alien (either LV or SV), which would you get? I had the opportunity to play both this weekend, and they both have their advantages; I really like the play and artwork of Godzilla (although I didn’t really get too far into the game), while I like the idea that in Alien you initially have a choice to play two different sets of rules, and the layout is compelling to me.

This is not a scientific survey by any means; I’m just looking for other’s opinions and thoughts on both or either machine that maybe I haven’t thought of to help me make a decision between the two.

Thanks in advance!

#19 1 year ago

Wow; great to see so many people chiming in on this; I greatly appreciate all of the comments so far.

Yes, one of the things that I have indeed considered is the manufacturer of both games. I have a couple of modern Sterns right now (BM66 and Beatles Platinum) and the support on those has been great when I've had issues, plus the fact that they have been around for a while and are not going anywhere. I do realize that with Pinball Brothers there is something of a risk factor of them hanging around; only time will tell. I'm not afraid to dig in on repairs if needed, and have some experience with the other machines that I own and have owned in the past (also, at times I feel I get almost the same, if not more, level of enjoyment working on them than playing them). Of course, with a new machine though, you would expect to be playing it more than fixing it!

One thing that I will share regarding Alien; the one that I played at Pinfest just "felt" different; namely, I thought that the flippers were just too darned sensitive. A very light touch on the button and the flipper was activated. Also, the left flipper seemed to get stuck in the up positions a few times, and I tilted the game just by hitting a flipper, but I'm guessing those are adjustments that could be made.

I wouldn't exactly call myself any kind of a great player, but I am getting better, and I felt at the time that Godzilla seemed to me to be more approachable game, for beginners and advanced players alike. I want to keep that in mind for those who will play in my home.

Keep the comments coming; I'd love to hear what you have to say one way or the other. Again, I can't thank everyone enough for your opinions and comments about these two great games!

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

If you're a player, Godzilla by a mile. If you're just a collector, buy whichever movie you like more, which one has more "assets," which one is heavier (build quality!), or whatever.

This seems to make the most sense to me. While I might be interested in the theme of a machine, ultimately I feel it has to be fun to play. After all, while I do know that there are some out there that do this, I am not one to just get a machine, turn it on, and admire it; I want to play the darn thing!

Also, another thought: I think another thing that might put GZ over the top (for me, anyway) would be the music. As a life-long musician, I do appreciate a good accompanying soundtrack, and I think GZ has that going for it in spades. As for Alien, it's completely barren.

Just another thought...

#56 1 year ago

Well, I have to say that I most certainly didn't anticipate the lively discussion that is currently taking place here, but I am very grateful for all of your opinions and insights so far. Keep 'em coming!

One other question for everyone;

Would I be correct in assuming that code is not yet complete on either of these? That seems to be implied in @sonofadiddly's post #49 for Alien, while GZ is listed at .94, which looks to have been released last week.

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Sell something and get both.
[quoted image]

Ha! Were it that easy...

As I mentioned in the initial post, I have space issues, along with financial ones, such that if I'm going to get one, I have to sell one.

Another factor that I neglected to mention was that if I got both, the wife would not take too kindly to it, so I guess we all now know who wears the pants in this family...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 10,695.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 125.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
PINBALLPICKERS

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 80.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Scotty_K.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-pre-or-alien-which-would-you-choose?tu=Scotty_K and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.