(Topic ID: 328976)

Godzilla OR Wonka OR T2 plus one more?

By TheBananaPeel69

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I’ve got the itch.

I have a Supersonic, and likely a project cab of Strikes and Spares coming soon.

I’m eyeing up some options, and I’m wondering what you would do. For more info, we have 4 kids, and our friends with kids and their friends are constantly here. We have a decent game room that folks love spending time in.

So, here’s my thoughts:
    -T2 is easy to learn, a little shallow, but it’s great for the casual crowd. I could get this and one other, maybe Family Guy (as I’m a HUGE fan)
    -Wonka seems to have more depth, but if I spend that $ I’m pretty much just adding that
    OR
    -Find/wait for a Godzilla Premium and add just the one more. By most user accounts of it, that would be a permanent fixture.

Context on me, the main player: I’d like a challenge, but not impossible. I just hit 2 million+ on SuperSonic, so i’ll be adjusting the gameplay a little bit.

#2 1 year ago

Godzilla is the only answer.

#3 1 year ago

Even though I think Godzilla is a fantastic game, I would generally choose to have two games instead of just one as long as you have the space. It's always nice to have some variety. A shallow game like T2 + a deep game like FG would compliment each other nicely. I'm not a fan at all of Wonka.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I would generally choose to have two games instead of one. It's always nice to have some variety.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. Godzilla is an incredible game, no doubt, but it’s really nice to have some variety. I may be in the minority, but I also tend to avoid deep, long playing games. Sometimes a quick game of BSD or T2 or even a System 11 game like Taxi is all I need to scratch the itch.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Even though I think Godzilla is a fantastic game, I would generally choose to have two games instead of one. It's always nice to have some variety. A shallow game like T2 + a deep game like FG would compliment each other nicely. I'm not a fan at all of Wonka.

Same here. Pinball got a lot more fun for me once I had a 3 or 4 game lineup. I sometimes don't play one game for a while and then come back to it. It then feels fresh and fun to play. You can always find games like GZ down the road. Stern will be making them for a while and there will always be guys selling theirs to get next hot game.

#6 1 year ago

You can get a Paragon to go with T2. Paragon is a tough game and will make you a better player by teaching you ball control.

#7 1 year ago

Im in the minority here, I think Godzilla is a good game.. but for me its Wonka all day long.

#8 1 year ago

While I generally like a deeper game, I have to agree with others. When starting out I leaned towards the more is better approach and that worked well as I grew the collection. So I would lean towards two good games.

Personally I'm not a fan of T2. A little repetitive. I prefer GetAway. Not a super deep game, but a real crowd pleaser. Your kids and guests will love the super charger. Very cool effect. Not sure on price, but Shadow is a fantastic game as well. Not sure how much more it is compared to T2 or GetAway.

I think I would go with 3 games assuming you have the room. Instead of FG + DMD maybe go DMD, Sys 11 and another game? Lots of great Sys. 11 games. Maybe you find a deal and get can 2 DMDs plus Sys. 11 for similar money as FG + DMD.

Good luck!

#9 1 year ago

I take Wonka over Godzilla !!
    I also like T2 but the rules are a bit easy.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from HarryReimer:

Im in the minority here, I think Godzilla is a good game.. but for me its Wonka all day long.

I agree with Wonka given your family and friends situation. I have Wonka and GZ and kids and guests always love Wonka and gravitate to that over GZ. People get a lot of kicks out of the camera. In my opinion Wonka is every bit as good of a game as GZ just different. Wonka has a fun whimsical welcoming vibe best for the situation you describe.

Now if you said “this pin is only for me and I’m a big pinhead and I want an intense deep game” I would say Gz. But that is not what you said.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from HarryReimer:

Quoted from jackd104:

I agree with Wonka given your family and friends situation. I have Wonka and GZ and kids and guests always love Wonka and gravitate to that over GZ. People get a lot of kicks out of the camera. In my opinion Wonka is every bit as good of a game as GZ just different. Wonka has a fun whimsical welcoming vibe best for the situation you describe.
    Now if you said “this pin is only for me and I’m a big pinhead and I want an intense deep game” I would say Gz. But that is not what you said.

You two reaffirmed my gut feelings. More IS better lol, but for my situation, it’s WONKA!

Dude, the game is so great, and the kids were out of their minds.

It’s so much fun and there’s lots to do.

thanks everyone for their advice.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheBananaPeel69:

You two reaffirmed my gut feelings. More IS better lol, but for my situation, it’s WONKA!

Glad you made the decision on your own to get Wonka. Overall, I feel it contains the better package and you have the progressive satisfaction of mini-wizards in between getting golden tickets. I own Wonka since the past summer.

What I could not get over with Godzilla is the old school B/W Japanese film shown on the LCD screen mixed in with "regular" video footage.

It does have awesome layout/shots... but in the end Theme is also a factor for many (such as myself).

In the end be happy with what you bought.

Also, print out the Wonka workflow game rules map. Just shows how deep/complex the path to beating the game really is.

#13 1 year ago

I found that once I hit 3 pinballs, it was a much funner gameroom experience.

I only played Godzilla premium before a pro became available over a year ago and said I would get a pro to get a pin now and I could sell or upgrade later. I’m happy i did it, the pro is just as fun and no one else has any clue what they are ‘missing’ from pro to premium. Ended up the same route with Deadpool.

The new Godzilla update also adds some great extra code to the pro that I recently considered upgrading to the premium and now am indifferent. Will only upgrade if the right package deal comes along or someone local wants to swap.

Also it give you more money to add a few extra to it. Pinwoofer system is hands down the best mod for Godzilla in my opinion.

Side note, you mentioned you have a good gameroom already. So did I, now people only play pinball and pool. Be prepared for that. I’m the only one who plays golden tee even though it sits 5 ft away from all the pins. We get an occasional stand up arcade player. And no one plays shuffleboard, bumper pool or messes with the jukebox anymore other than me and my wife.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheBananaPeel69:

Wonka is always a great buy, I’m sure you’ll end up with a Godzilla at some point. You’ll find a way!! Hahaha

#15 1 year ago

Wonka was the right choice here. Definitely wanting one myself.

#16 1 year ago

I have GZ Premium and I play the BW games far more. Still can't get into Stern games. They take too long to play and there's just too much going on. I'd go with T2 plus another game.

4 months later
    #17 11 months ago

Just as a follow up... I got Godzilla Premium, Family Guy, and Foo Fighters Pro on top of Wonka and Supersonic.

This is a slippery slope!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-or-wonka-or-t2-plus-one-more and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.