Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_forum_7245859_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7245859_1 (resized).jpg
20211215_141003 (resized).jpg
20211215_145841 (resized).jpg
20211207_220815 (resized).jpg
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 2 years ago

Hey everyone. I wanted to know how people are doing with their Godzilla machines. I keep reading and hearing about Stern being trash and a 2 Month Warranty, etc. I know the machine just came out. I am on the list for one in March. I am wondering how the machines have been holding up for people. Do you have any issues? What is your biggest complaint about the machine?

I don't want to bash Stern. I am aware that there are many people who hate Stern, etc. I am not looking to bash. I am just looking for feedback about YOUR machine.

I appreciate this site and how knowledgeable people are. Looking forward to one day being as informed. TIA.

#2 2 years ago

Only thing I saw was playing Premium, occasionally the building would lose track of a ball locked. Go through ball search 3 times and ended the ball in play. This was at factory software and not been updated.

#3 2 years ago

This game has like no issues, where are you reading this

#4 2 years ago

Very reliable game so far for me. The building is as complicated a mech as Stern has done in a long time and has worked almost flawlessly for me. Don't stress until you need to.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

This game has like no issues, where are you reading this

Not about this games specifically. I am reading and hearing a lot about poor quality products by Stern. Just wanted to know how peoples' machines are holding up. I am by no means trashing Stern. Like I said, I ordered one.

#6 2 years ago

No issues on the 3 on route around here so far, besides the Stern coil stops

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

No issues on the 3 on route around here so far, besides the Stern coil stops

Is there a problem with Stern coil stops in general?

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from tedwasright:

Yes. It has been documented in almost all game threads. Easy to replace and no big deal.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Yes. It has been documented in almost all game threads. Easy to replace and no big deal.

Thanks, I look around for those posts.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from tedwasright:

Yes, the parts Stern has been installing for roughly three years seem to be decidedly less durable than previously, but it really only impacts the flippers (in my experience). Periodically inspect the bottom of the cabinet under the flipper area and if you see an increase in metal particles/dust that is your sign that the stops are probably on their way out. Ideally you want to replace the stops before they fail in order to avoid any collateral damage, but I have had several outright failures and not experienced any additional problems.

I get replacements at https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html and they seem to hold up better than the stock ones; I suggest keeping a few on-hand so you can keep the party going when one lets go at 11pm, it only takes a couple of minutes to replace one.

#11 2 years ago

I’ve bought basically every Stern Premium spike game they have released and no issues here at all. Ignore the bashers on here, you get so many one sided folks who talk up one manufacturer and bash the others. It’s all pretty childish actually. Stern is cranking out a ton of fun games lately, don’t miss out! If you can even find one that is, ha ha. Good Luck!

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I’ve bought basically every Stern Premium spike game they have released and no issues here at all. Ignore the bashers on here, you get so many one sided folks who talk up one manufacturer and bash the others. It’s all pretty childish actually. Stern is cranking out a ton of fun games lately, don’t miss out! If you can even find one that is, ha ha. Good Luck!

Same.

#13 2 years ago

A coil stop is a 0.25 piece that is easily replaceable

#14 2 years ago

My LE did not have the coin box pinned when it arrived. This allowed the box to thrash around during transport which caused a small paint chip in the interior of the cabinet. The game would only work with the coin door open. I figured out that the coin door flap that compresses the lockout switch was not pushing the switch in all of the way. I put a couple of old 1" rubbers on the flap and now I can play with the door closed. Very minor issues, so I consider it a win.

20211207_220815 (resized).jpg20211207_220815 (resized).jpg
#15 2 years ago

I had issues with building not going down due to loose screws on back of building mech. Once it was identified it was an easy fix but a pia to diagnose

#16 2 years ago

My opinion, Stern quality is up there and outside of perhaps American Pinball, is leading the pack. You'll find issues with all manufactures if your digging deep through the forums and looking specifically, but based on the sheer volume of stern games manufactured - they are ahead of other manufacturers. Stern had issues with playfields in the past few years, fixed them (I haven't seen many issues with chipping and pooling on recent stern games and just go look in a jersey jack thread if you want to see what these issues look like). Coil stop issues, I think that's been addressed in the past 24 months (I've had zero issues on the 4 NIB titles I picked up in 2021) and if not, its a quick and inexpensive fix. Believe there may have been some issues on the Godzilla magnet at release, but think that has been addressed via software.

#17 2 years ago

Stern has had some issues in the past but largely puts out solid games. At the local show this fall, there were a bunch of GZ (both pros and premiums) and other Stern titles out for the crowd to play. These games get played nonstop for like 3 days. All played great and none went down. True, sometimes something needs adjusting or a part/bulb comes loose but that's just pinball.

#18 2 years ago

Zero issues here with the one at my place.

I've quite a few NIB Sterns and all of them have had some kind of issue, especially JP with the TRex head that was borderline a nightmare.

Godzilla is so far the best NIB game I've ever seen. It's very well made, sturdy, and regains my confidence in their products tbh.

#19 2 years ago

This is my first NIB and I wasn't happy to see this chewed up rubber and a decent chip in the playfield after a few games. Waiting to hear back from the distributor /Stern. The playfield print does not seem nearly as sharp as my other games but neither are sterns so not sure that's an issue as much as a preference. That being said, this game is fun.

20211215_141003 (resized).jpg20211215_141003 (resized).jpg20211215_145841 (resized).jpg20211215_145841 (resized).jpg
#20 2 years ago

Everyone knows the quality of a game is measured in how much it weighs. Unfortunately Stern games are not up to the hernia-inducing side effects of JJP games. So I put JJP games above Stern in quality ie overall weight.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

A coil stop is a 0.25 piece that is easily replaceable

25 cents? Huh?

Replacing a coil stop is usually pretty easy, unless the fastener snaps off inside the flipper baseplate while removing it. Had that happen twice on Led Zeppelin. Thankfully, Stern is using different fasteners with Godzilla. I would recommend replacing those coil stop screws in older Stern games as you replace the coil stops.

#22 2 years ago

$4.95 each if you want to be exact. Or $3.71 each if you buy 50. Might take a lot to get them down to $.25 though.

#23 2 years ago

Only issues I had were common minor issues. The pop bumper was firing constantly when i first fired up the game. (Just adjusted the switch as it was touching and made a small gap, fixed) The ball would get stuck at the left wireform where it meets the in-lane feed. (adjusted the wireform slightly to the left, fixed) The secret skill shot just above the upper flipper would not register when hit. (slightly bent the opto to provide solid contact, fixed)

These types of things are common on pinball machines so I would not say it is an issue with Godzilla. As far as the mechs like the building (which I was most concerned about) , they work just fine.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

$4.95 each if you want to be exact. Or $3.71 each if you buy 50. Might take a lot to get them down to $.25 though.

Holy shit how will you ever survive that type of expense

#25 2 years ago

Not really an issue, but game is hyper sensitive to side to side level up near the upper flipper. A tiny bit off and it makes the magnet frop to flipper off and hard to shoot the loop. Easy to fix tho

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Not really an issue, but game is hyper sensitive to side to side level up near the upper flipper. A tiny bit off and it makes the magnet frop to flipper off and hard to shoot the loop. Easy to fix tho

Not sure what you mean?

#27 2 years ago

Good.

Lord.

We need a Purge.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Good.
Lord.
We need a Purge.

What's that mean?

#29 2 years ago

Lot longer than that.... the coil stops on my Metallica and Tron pros both crapped out brass shavings all over the bottom of the cabinet.

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

Yes, the parts Stern has been installing for roughly three years seem to be decidedly less durable than previously, but it really only impacts the flippers (in my experience). Periodically inspect the bottom of the cabinet under the flipper area and if you see an increase in metal particles/dust that is your sign that the stops are probably on their way out. Ideally you want to replace the stops before they fail in order to avoid any collateral damage, but I have had several outright failures and not experienced any additional problems.
I get replacements at https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-coil-stop-for-sternsega.html and they seem to hold up better than the stock ones; I suggest keeping a few on-hand so you can keep the party going when one lets go at 11pm, it only takes a couple of minutes to replace one.

I saw someone say that if you move the spring washer to the other side of the coil it can prevent this problem. Some other people thought they had a bad batch of stops but it seems like it's an ongoing issue still.

Only issue I've seen with godzilla are pretty typical things where adjustments need to be made on some of the moving mechanisms etc. Seems like a fairly solid machine so far.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

move the spring washer to the other side of the coil

I think I remember reading that in Kamoroff's book.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from tedwasright:

Not sure what you mean?

If the ball dropping off the magna save is not hitting the flipper in correct position its hard to hit the loop. By leveling or even biasing it more to the left solves the prob

2 months later
#33 2 years ago

Hi guys, I got my Godzilla Premium yesterday and, firstly, I updated for new code 0.90.
After few plays I realized that flips when I using third flipper were automatically counted, even with no ball at game…it counts when I push any of flippers buttons…Do you have any idea what is going on???
In the end my scores are billions due this issue…hahahah
Thanks for any support about it
Cheers

#34 2 years ago

I’ve got a premium. Hinge plate for Mechagodzilla has issues. Basically, when you hit Mechagodzilla, he slightly pivots and the hand blocks the ramp return and hangs the ball. The hinge is riveted to the plate. When I disassembled it, the rivets seemed loose. I sent pics and a video to Stern. Supposedly a new plate is coming my way. That was the first week of the year. I pressed the rivets back tight, and it was good for about a week. Took it apart again, and I think the hinge pin seems to have a drastically smaller OD than the ID of the hinge tube. I’m still waiting for the part from Stern. It will probably never come. I think I’ll just TIG a new hinge onto the plate. I’m afraid a MIG will just blow a hole through the plate.

Also, my game won’t take an update, either via USB drive or network. I’ve got like 10 other Sterns, and have never had an issue. Maybe I’m just too dumb for all this new pinball stuff.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from Magui76:

Hi guys, I got my Godzilla Premium yesterday and, firstly, I updated for new code 0.90.
After few plays I realized that flips when I using third flipper were automatically counted, even with no ball at game…it counts when I push any of flippers buttons…Do you have any idea what is going on???
In the end my scores are billions due this issue…hahahah
Thanks for any support about it
Cheers

You have a switch that is triggering from flipper vibrations. Go into switch test and see what switch is activating from flipper hits or just by hitting pf. That switch probably just needs adjusting.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Good.
Lord.
We need a Purge.

Bring on The Purge !!!!!

Stern is good now . Quality = Ehh
Anything before Spike Stern has is A1 Quality

But Do not let that keep you from buying any of their Homepin Models / All Homepin models homepin regular/pro/premium/le are all made with basically the same parts aside from the Regular which only downgrades PF quality and thickness/ and cab Head and body parts and no LCD screen . but very close to a pro homepin model.
If you like the game buy it new and flip for profit like everyone else. Do not buy from a flipper but sell to a flipper buyer and drain cash from him and feel like GAry Stern must feel every hike / Part of the NIB fun is the lottery part in which you want a no problem one.
The chances for each different NIB defect odds get lower and lower depending on the Issue .

1 in a 1000 wrong legs sent in LE box
1- 170 for Grainy Playfield wood under Clear
1-75 for PArts Not secured
1- 2000 pooling post
1 in 2500 Bad node board

Chances are regardless of issue you can still turn a profit . People are coocoo For CocoPuffs !(pinball Machines
The games are fun as hell to play , but you must take the Lottery Plunge or buy from a flipper . Either way your wallet is going to empty fast !

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

Bring on The Purge !!!!!
Stern is good now . Quality = Ehh
Anything before Spike Stern has is A1 Quality
But Do not let that keep you from buying any of their Homepin Models / All Homepin models homepin regular/pro/premium/le are all made with basically the same parts aside from the Regular which only downgrades PF quality and thickness/ and cab Head and body parts and no LCD screen . but very close to a pro homepin model.
If you like the game buy it new and flip for profit like everyone else. Do not buy from a flipper but sell to a flipper buyer and drain cash from him and feel like GAry Stern must feel every hike / Part of the NIB fun is the lottery part in which you want a no problem one.
The chances for each different NIB defect odds get lower and lower depending on the Issue .
1 in a 1000 wrong legs sent in LE box
1- 170 for Grainy Playfield wood under Clear
1-75 for PArts Not secured
1- 2000 pooling post
1 in 2500 Bad node board
Chances are regardless of issue you can still turn a profit . People are coocoo For CocoPuffs !(pinball Machines
The games are fun as hell to play , but you must take the Lottery Plunge or buy from a flipper . Either way your wallet is going to empty fast !

I’m not reading that treatise of ransom-note-font nonsense. Did you quote me from like 6 months ago?

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:You have a switch that is triggering from flipper vibrations. Go into switch test and see what switch is activating from flipper hits or just by hitting pf. That switch probably just needs adjusting.

Thanks for your support! I found the problem and I have already fixed it!
Cheers

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

Good.
Lord.
We need a Purge.

Quoted from gambit3113:

I’m not reading that treatise of ransom-note-font nonsense. Did you quote me from like 6 months ago?

I'll buy that for a dollar!

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from Magui76:

Thanks for your support! I found the problem and I have already fixed it!
Cheers

What was the problem?

3 weeks later
#41 2 years ago

Question - not sure if an issue with machine or a setting/deactivation -

I have been playing Godzilla LE on location - all good until recently, initiating & playing Godzilla Multiball, last time I played - the building no longer moves & Evan after insert is green, calls do not "collect" in/on building?? Then "Godzilla Multiball" starts - music plays, but balls come out of plunger vs building ??

I advised the location staff, but they felt the machine was fine, so Ive been confused - can it be set that way or is something clearly wrong with the pin

everything else about play seemed normal, although Im not an expert on the rule set

thanks!

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from mjmpin:

Question - not sure if an issue with machine or a setting/deactivation -
I have been playing Godzilla LE on location - all good until recently, initiating & playing Godzilla Multiball, last time I played - the building no longer moves & Evan after insert is green, calls do not "collect" in/on building?? Then "Godzilla Multiball" starts - music plays, but balls come out of plunger vs building ??
I advised the location staff, but they felt the machine was fine, so Ive been confused - can it be set that way or is something clearly wrong with the pin
everything else about play seemed normal, although Im not an expert on the rule set
thanks!

I’d have to look in the settings but I suspect you can disable physical ball lock and the building from moving. It’ll still count 1-2-3 but balls will plunge vs. exiting the building.

1 month later
#43 2 years ago

Wondering if anyone has run into this, on my godzilla pro, after plunging the ball, the ball often bounces off that big metal staple on the playfield just beyond the shooter lane and goes up behind the mechagodzilla plastic. This happens more often with the automatic plunger than when the player does it. Maybe there is a good way to adjust the angle of the plungers (manual and automatic use a different mechanism).

#44 2 years ago

Turn down plunge strength in settings

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Turn down plunge strength in settings

Ahhh, that's funny. I've never owned such a new game to have this setting. I'll try that, thanks.

#46 2 years ago

I just received one of the latest run Godzilla Premium's (it came last Thursday).

I've had two issues in the first 24 hours...

(A) The volume up button is not working well -- I have to press it firmly and hold it for it to register -- it takes a few presses as well

(B) More concerning the flippers "die" in the middle of gameplay for 1-2 seconds randomly. It's not a tilt -- I'm not moving the machine and everything keeps running, the flippers just lose power suddenly and the ball keeps bouncing around and then I lose it (because I couldn't flip). It happened two games back to back. Someone else noted it on the forums with a video.

This is a video someone else posted, pretty much what's happening on my game.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/41#post-6595619

Anyone else experience this?

-John

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from MetaMan:

(B) More concerning the flippers "die" in the middle of gameplay for 1-2 seconds randomly. It's not a tilt -- I'm not moving the machine and everything keeps running, the flippers just lose power suddenly and the ball keeps bouncing around and then I lose it (because I couldn't flip). It happened two games back to back. Someone else noted it on the forums with a video.
This is a video someone else posted, pretty much what's happening on my game.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club/page/41#post-6595619
Anyone else experience this?

You have a node board that is experiencing a short and is turning off to prevent damage. It’s intermittent though and that is why you’re seeing it shut off for a second then come back on. That is what those racing lights mean. Game goes dark (node board off), comes back on (racing lights).

You probably have a light socket causing a short near the flippers. Take all the lights out of the slings and see what happens.

5 months later
#48 1 year ago
Quoted from ArtPylon:

Wondering if anyone has run into this, on my godzilla pro, after plunging the ball, the ball often bounces off that big metal staple on the playfield just beyond the shooter lane and goes up behind the mechagodzilla plastic. This happens more often with the automatic plunger than when the player does it. Maybe there is a good way to adjust the angle of the plungers (manual and automatic use a different mechanism).

I have noticed the same thing on my godzilla pro. Occasionally, when I manually plunge the ball it will catch at the staple and rattle between the rails, falling down, or if I plunge a little harder, bounce up on top of the plastic next to mechagodzilla. I imagine that this is a known problem because of how often it happens on my machine, especially when I'm trying to find that sweet spot for the skill shot. It never happens when I auto-plunge. That being said, I find that it does not significantly take away from the game.

1 month later
#49 1 year ago

My building needs a slight adjustment. It rattles while going down. It just needs a slight adjustment to pitch it back towards the back of the machine. Because if I just barley touch the building while it goes down the rattling stops. Any idea on how to adjust this would be greatly appreciated.

#50 1 year ago

After getting a replacement CPU, changing out the speaker, removing the speaker grill mesh, and adjusting every sound setting known to man, I still get distortion through the cabinet speaker during the low frequencies, even on the default settings. I had to buy a powered sub and Pinnovators sub kit to make things sound right. This will be my last NIB purchase from Stern unfortunately.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 114.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Land O' Lakes, FL
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ScottieIA Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

5,980 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

Machine - For Sale
Austin, MN
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 16.00
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-issues?hl=jeffswack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.