You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dr_evil_buys_oklahoma_mineral_rights (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20220704-000200-926.png
20220703_170330_HDR (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

So after ordering a Godzilla premium, waiting like 9 months (a friend who ordered like a day before me from the same highly regarded distributor but owns an arcade received theirs in a week)... having the machine suddenly show up at our vacation home (I was assured repeatedly by the distributor that I would be able to schedule a delivery window)... needing to suddenly drive 4 hours to the house to take delivery, haul this thing up several flights of stairs with a good friend... I finally played a few rounds and everything is great. (Well except the missing shaker motor kit that I had also requested).

I turn off the game, now next morning it won't boot. I only see 4 power LEDs on the Spike board, one more on the smaller center Spike board, and a few red LEDs on boards under the playfield.

I tried buying several new SD cards, flashing, removing the battery to clear any saved data, etc. All my troubleshooting is in vain. I suppose this is unusual but it's really soured me on buying any more pins and now I wonder what I'll have to go through to get it working. If several new SD cards didn't change anything, am I to assume I'll need to send off the Spike board and wait what, another year to receive a replacement?

Sorry for the negativity, I'm just very frustrated.

20220703_170330_HDR (resized).jpg20220703_170330_HDR (resized).jpg Added 21 months ago:

Thanks for the suggestions. I have an email out to Stern support and hopefully will eventually resolve this before the warranty expires. Unfortunately I won't be here when I get the first reply since I have to drive home today. I've checked the connections as best I can and checked for voltages with a multimeter (48V, 12V, 5V, 3V are present).

Also as an aside this house is my inlaws' (destroyed in Harvey '17 and finally replaced last year) and I'm the guy tasked with the game room (which is currently just this really nice looking statue). I don't own a pin myself and figured this was a group of people who all own games themselves and a good place to ask. I'm mostly frustrated because this $10k toy as you say, seems to need a better distribution and support system. The story of purchasing and surprise shipping with zero communication over 9 months except when I call and email a few times isn't really relevant to anything except how I'm pretty disappointed in the process overall.

#2 1 year ago

I don't think this is related to the SD card.

It looks like you're missing two status lights--VA and VNB.

Screenshot_20220704-000200-926.pngScreenshot_20220704-000200-926.png
#3 1 year ago

That is obviously super frustrating!

Hopefully somebody has a good suggestion or two. Failing that work with Stern and your distributor to get this running!

Being 4 hours away will make this even more drawn out but it is what it is. Crappy!

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from CasualGamerCC:

I'm just very frustrated.

I understand. And I'm sorry.

You'll get through this and be able to enjoy your game.

LTG : )

#5 1 year ago

So after ordering a Godzilla premium, waiting like 9 months (a friend who ordered like a day before me from the same highly regarded distributor but owns an arcade received theirs in a week)... having the machine suddenly show up at our vacation home (I was assured repeatedly by the distributor that I would be able to schedule a delivery window)... needing to suddenly drive 4 hours to the house to take delivery, haul this thing up several flights of stairs with a good friend... I finally played a few rounds and everything is great. (Well except the missing shaker motor kit that I had also requested).
I turn off the game, now next morning it won't boot. I only see 4 power LEDs on the Spike board, one more on the smaller center Spike board, and a few red LEDs on boards under the playfield.
I tried buying several new SD cards, flashing, removing the battery to clear any saved data, etc. All my troubleshooting is in vain. I suppose this is unusual but it's really soured me on buying any more pins and now I wonder what I'll have to go through to get it working. If several new SD cards didn't change anything, am I to assume I'll need to send off the Spike board and wait what, another year to receive a replacement?
Sorry for the negativity, I'm just very frustrated.
[quoted image]

With the game powered off, try re-seating all the connections to the board. It may be something simple as a loose/bad connection. After that if still no boot and those VA/VNB lights are still out, you can wiggle the individual connections to see if the lights flicker on at a specific one pointing to a possible bad connection.

#6 1 year ago

This makes me really sad for you. Sorry to hear about this.

#7 1 year ago

Call Stern support. They have helped me several times over the years.

#8 1 year ago

Considering you are missing both the VA and VNB voltages, I would check the connections on the power distribution board.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from calprog:

Call Stern support. They have helped me several times over the years.

Phone support is gone, it’s all email now. I just had an issue with Godzilla and they handled it well though I miss the phone support.

#10 1 year ago

Is the coin door making contact with the interlock switch correctly?

#11 1 year ago

You lost me at vacation home.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Phone support is gone

I really miss Chas-was thinking about him the other day-miss you buddy!

I hear his voice in my head and he will never be forgotten

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

You lost me at vacation home.

Yeah, maybe leave that out next time one of your $10k toys malfunctions.

I mean that's a drag, right outta the box, hope you get it fixed quick, but Christ, is there a category higher than "first world problems"?

#14 1 year ago

Start a ticket with Stern support and then reach out to your distributor...thats why they are there.

#15 1 year ago

Do you have other Spike 2 games you can swap a few components with? I'd start with the power distribution board in the back box.

Given that you're not getting a few of the voltage lights on the CPU board, it's either power distribution or a bad cable. I have had cables fail. The crimps are the weak point. Sometime, they barely touch the wire, crimping over mainly the insulation. Try wiggling each cable (by the wire as well) to see if you can get the additional voltage lights. You might isolate a bad connector that way.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

Do you have other Spike 2 games you can swap a few components with? I'd start with the power distribution board in the back box.
Given that you're not getting a few of the voltage lights on the CPU board, it's either power distribution or a bad cable. I have had cables fail. The crimps are the weak point. Sometime, they barely touch the wire, crimping over mainly the insulation. Try wiggling each cable (by the wire as well) to see if you can get the additional voltage lights. You might isolate a bad connector that way.

VA and VNB are monitored and controlled by the CPU so this may not be a loose connector but instead something is drawing too much current so that the VA and VNB sense inputs drop too low and the CPU decides it’s safer to turn them off.

I’d start disconnecting anything hooked up to VA and VNB and then monitor both LEDs for each component that I re-connect.

#17 1 year ago

The only Stern machine I would ever consider owning is Iron Maiden. And I have one already.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from swanng:

The only Stern machine I would ever consider owning is Iron Maiden. And I have one already.

Ha that’s helpful.

To the OP, I would just say email Stern support you’ll hear back in a day or two. Could well be a simple solution, like on my Zep LE where the backbox lights wouldn’t turn on (turned out to be a misplaced jumper).

Let your distributor know too. But if it’s an easy solution the Stern guys will tell you quickly.

You aren’t the first person to have a brand new game arrive with issues, you’ll get it sorted out.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Yeah, maybe leave that out next time one of your $10k toys malfunctions.
I mean that's a drag, right outta the box, hope you get it fixed quick, but Christ, is there a category higher than "first world problems"?

To be fair, he was called out by someone how has 31 pins.. - I luv u guys...

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ha that’s helpful.
To the OP, I would just say email Stern support you’ll hear back in a day or two. Could well be a simple solution, like on my Zep LE where the backbox lights wouldn’t turn on (turned out to be a misplaced jumper).
Let your distributor know too. But if it’s an easy solution the Stern guys will tell you quickly.
You aren’t the first person to have a brand new game arrive with issues, you’ll get it sorted out.

What he said.. almost every new and even new to me pin has needed some kind of adjustment or attention. Every time I move a pin or fire one up there's a sigh of relief when they boot up. I've had my STh projector not boot up right, pop bumpers start firing off, DP not boot up, games crash.. I've even successfully bricked my game trying to update it.. Unfortunately its part of owning these. But, yes.. you'll get it sorted out. GZ is awesome, and once its up and running, you will be very happy.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

To be fair, he was called out by someone how has 31 pins.. - I luv u guys...

It's actually 33 because I have two homebrews but no worries you'll be able to play them at free play this year.

The call out was due to flexing and bitching simultaneously

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from swanng:

I'm sorry to hear that. You're missing out on tons and tons of amazing games.

#23 1 year ago

It's actually 33 because I have two homebrews but no worries you'll be able to play them at free play this year.

Maybe I missed the flexing.. but not the bitching.. my bad. Congrats on your 33 pins and NOT 31.. wait - is that flexing? I'm not good at this sh I guess.. see you on the village.. Freeplay sounds cool.. except for the $500 i'd have to spend to go.. Kinda funny it's actually called freeplay now that I think about it.

#24 1 year ago

Isn’t this every post on Pinside?

#25 1 year ago

Any chance at all that when the head went up you pinched a connectior and it worked fine but after many hours being pinched the wires were stressed and broke ??

See this in a Bally Corvette

Guy bought it set it up - worked flawless
Then the engine assembly failed …

He took the entire game apart to find the flaw

I went throughout the entire game to fine a ribbon cable crushed … and guess what it controlled

Sorry this happened on a new game

#26 1 year ago

Had/have a similar problem with my Zep LE, won't boot, no VA/VNB, tried new SD cards, didn't help. Pablo at Stern (and I) think it's the CPU board but good luck getting one! They won't sell me one, and insist I go through a distributor to repair the board even though it's a couple months out of warranty and I assume I'd have to pay for it anyway. Called the distro two weeks ago, said they'd contact Stern, haven't heard anything since. Why can't I send it to Stern directly instead of going through a distro that has far more pressing matters and probably gives no shits about this? Total limbo right now. Frustrating. Hopefully you have better luck than me.

#27 1 year ago

Welcome to pinball.

#28 1 year ago

So we now have rich people in a rich person's hobby bitching about people being (or even off-handedly implying) that they are rich? WTF?
I guess it's finally gotten so bad that even rich people, when around other rich people, have to be careful to not let on in any way, shape, or form that they may be rich; i.e. - that they own a 10,000 toy(s) AND a vacation home.
Wow.
If you can afford 30+ pinball machines you can probably also afford a bunch of other stuff as well.
No wonder they all hate us. We even hate ourselves!

#29 1 year ago

Probably just a fuse. Or not.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from shakethatmachine:

So we now have rich people in a rich person's hobby bitching about people being (or even off-handedly implying) that they are rich? WTF?
I guess it's finally gotten so bad that even rich people, when around other rich people, have to be careful to not let on in any way, shape, or form that they may be rich; i.e. - that they own a 10,000 toy(s) AND a vacation home.
Wow.
If you can afford 30+ pinball machines you can probably also afford a bunch of other stuff as well.

21 people upvoted the "you lost me at vacation home" comment so maybe we AREN'T all rich......

Now please excuse me, it looks like rain - I have to put the top up on the Ferrari, I don't want the Van Gogh to get wet.

#31 1 year ago

I’m not surprised by that . I got a down vote because I called my vinyl flooring - luxury vinyl flooring - which is actually the name of the product.

#32 1 year ago

Got in touch with Stern and the distributor and a new CPU is on order. I don't know what the lead time is for something like that but hopefully everything works out.

#33 1 year ago

Got in touch with Stern and the distributor and a new CPU is on order. I don't know what the lead time is for something like that but hopefully everything works out.

Yeah just tell them its for your vacation home so you can't be bothered to go troubleshoot it. Have them send you replacement parts for anything that could be wrong, or maybe another machine just in case!

#34 1 year ago

"Less is more" is prolly a good mantra to live by here (in other words: mention thr game...not thr vacation home)

#35 1 year ago

Haul it up and toss it off the roof.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

"Less is more" is prolly a good mantra to live by here (in other words: mention thr game...not thr vacation home)

New guy comes on innocently say vacation home, and gets dump on by the gang of pinhead police. Sad, the guy just wanted to point out its 4 hours away.

#37 1 year ago

Note to self never say the words “vacation home” on pinside lol

#38 1 year ago

All my games are actually in my game house next to my vacation home!!

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from shakethatmachine:

Wow.

dr_evil_buys_oklahoma_mineral_rights (resized).jpgdr_evil_buys_oklahoma_mineral_rights (resized).jpg
#40 1 year ago

He should change his screen name to vacation home.

#41 1 year ago

Thank you for the update and glad they got a plan to help you out w/o crazy runaround.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

New guy comes on innocently say vacation home, and gets dump on by the gang of pinhead police. Sad, the guy just wanted to point out its 4 hours away.

poor guy just wanted to buy his wife a pair of thigh highs

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Dixon, IL
€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 16.00
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 178.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 240.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.99
Electronics
GMods

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godzilla-broken-after-1-day?hl=papakilo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.