Topic poll

“Godfather or Elton?”

• Godfather 25 votes
    22%
  • Elton John 91 votes
    78%

(116 votes)

#1 6 months ago

I'm considering one of the new JJP pins. For those that have played both, what is your preferred machine? I admit I like the theme of Godfather better, but I also am a sucker for oldies songs esp Rocketman.

#2 6 months ago

Played both last night, wow is EJ a better game, by far. GF is slow and clumsy, not satisfying to shoot, EJ is a blast, fun shots, no mushy flippers, cool light show, a far superior game, might save JJP.
I still hate GnR with a passion, what an awful game, but EJ makes me want more from JJP.
B

#3 6 months ago

Elton John is a way better game. First JJP game that doesn’t play like a JJP game. Smooth shots and snappy flippers. Game is like a Steve Richie greatest hits. I would love to get one and I am not even a big Elton John music fan. But game plays great

#4 6 months ago

I haven't played EJ, but I'd say you need to play both and decide. They look like very different types of games. GF is somewhat difficult and requires some mental power to play. EJ looks like a game you walk up to and let it rip.

#5 6 months ago

Ew, neither.

#6 6 months ago

I think it's comparing apples and oranges here!

One is just colorful and music that isn't really my thing. The other has history and is noble and more sophisticated. Will get better with the software and even more elegant with the replacement of jjp's golden parts. The!! Godfather is the godfather. Elton is just Elton

#7 6 months ago
Quoted from ZooDude:

Played both last night, wow is EJ a better game, by far. GF is slow and clumsy, not satisfying to shoot, EJ is a blast, fun shots, no mushy flippers, cool light show, a far superior game, might save JJP.
I still hate GnR with a passion, what an awful game, but EJ makes me want more from JJP.
B

Only played godfather on location. Did not appeal to me mainly due to theme , but certainly fun. Looking forward to playing EJ and may be looking for one in the future. We should have a thread on “polarizing / love it or hate it “ pins. Always amazes me on people’s reactions to GNR. Love that game but respect the haters ‘ opinion nonetheless

#8 6 months ago

Haven’t played EJ but I have a GF 50th LE and GnR LE. All my other games are stern. When I do actually switch on my JJP games GnR gets way more play. I’d trade my GF for an EJ I think….not that fun to play really. I have not played EJ yet.

#9 6 months ago
Quoted from great-hosts:

I think it's comparing apples and oranges here!
One is just colorful and music that isn't really my thing. The other has history and is noble and more sophisticated. Will get better with the software and even more elegant with the replacement of jjp's golden parts. The!! Godfather is the godfather. Elton is just Elton

Feels like they ruined GF by putting the designers in the game. It’s cool for them, but cheesy next to Brando. Ws a noticeable buzz kill that doesn’t age well.

#10 6 months ago
Quoted from dtmail209:

Feels like they ruined GF by putting the designers in the game. It’s cool for them, but cheesy next to Brando. Ws a noticeable buzz kill that doesn’t age well.

You can easily turn them off in the settings.

#11 6 months ago

Apples and oranges. GF is very unforgiving as fitting with the theme. Missed shots or catches frequently send the ball into the 3rd huge sling on the left side and/or pop bumper on right - brutal. Combined with the relatively complex rules, it’s not for casual players. Price + theme + difficulty = limited appeal. But if you like the theme and complex rule sets/strategy, and have the flipper skills to progress it’s an impressive, challenging game.

#12 6 months ago

Yes, that's partly true! But air balls are only possible if the finger tension and protector are too high.
The rules are very simple and combinations are possible. Sound and lighting are consistent with the 100 Pro theme. Finally good for short and quick games like some. Otherwise there will only be an EM without a set of rules. It also depends on how quickly you want or manage to finish the game. If it's just about quick points, not about progressing in the story, then EM devices are probably better

#13 6 months ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

You can easily turn them off in the settings.

Ahh didn’t realize that. Nice only played on location.

#14 6 months ago

imo

Sir John has the Richie flow.

Godfather has a cradle the ball feel. Particularly in multiplayer where the map & perks start to give a board game feel. Shots to avoid the unwanted multiballs become the crux.
Safecracker would be the closest example (that i have played).

#15 6 months ago
Quoted from dtmail209:

Ahh didn’t realize that. Nice only played on location.

Are they the mobsters you’re hitting to take down? If you disable the settings then whose pictures or images of the caporegimes come up?

#16 6 months ago

If you like the GF theme better, get it.

It’s a great pin, animations, layout, topper etc

I play this game and Bond mostly right now. Right there with GNR and better than Wonka.

Def not easy and takes a bit to get the rules figured out.

I’m getting the EJ too.

1 month later
#17 4 months ago
Quoted from JustJared:

I haven't played EJ, but I'd say you need to play both and decide. They look like very different types of games. GF is somewhat difficult and requires some mental power to play. EJ looks like a game you walk up to and let it rip.

Agreed, you definitely have to know what to do when playing GF. Great game though. I like it so much that I had to get one for myself.

1 week later
#19 4 months ago

As a former Godfather CE owner I couldn't have been more happy the day it went out the door. It is not fun to play and honestly one of JJP worst playing games to date. It was my mistake in buying it and I should have played it more before committing to it but I only have myself to blame.

Elton John shoots like a dream but has it owns set of issues that I don't like about it but if I had to pick one, 100% EJ is the better game. I mean, at least it is fun to play.

Personally I wouldn't buy either game but I would tell you to steer clear of Godfather altogether or make sure you really put sometime on it before you commit.

#20 4 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

As a former Godfather CE owner I couldn't have been more happy the day it went out the door. It is not fun to play and honestly one of JJP worst playing games to date. It was my mistake in buying it and I should have played it more before committing to it but I only have myself to blame.
Elton John shoots like a dream but has it owns set of issues that I don't like about it but if I had to pick one, 100% EJ is the better game. I mean, at least it is fun to play.
Personally I wouldn't buy either game but I would tell you to steer clear of Godfather altogether or make sure you really put sometime on it before you commit.

Constantly shitting on JJP?The guy wants to buy one or the other!

#21 4 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If you like the GF theme better, get it.
It’s a great pin, animations, layout, topper etc
I play this game and Bond mostly right now. Right there with GNR and better than Wonka.
Def not easy and takes a bit to get the rules figured out.
I’m getting the EJ too.

This ^^^

As a current GFCE owner, this is my perspective as well. The more we’ve played it, the better it gets - wife absolutely loves it as well. It’s currently in our top 3 of our collection, but depending on the day that can change - variety is key for us. There’s so much to do on that game that every play is a different experience. Flippers feel great on this one compared to past JJP games, however that’s a non issue for the other JJP games now with the board replacement or capacitor fix.

Also have an EJCE coming, which is a much different game experience, and that’s a good thing! Enjoy making your decision on what’s best for you.

#22 4 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Constantly shitting on JJP?The guy wants to buy one or the other!

lol

I'm flattered, my first stalker but you should really pay more attention.

sigh

Honestly... JJP builds the best pinball machines around. Quality wise, they are far superior to Stern but that doesn't always mean they play better. As I have said before in other threads, IMO POTC is one of the best pinball machines EVER made! It is easily tied with Godzilla as my favorite pinball machine ever, no contest. It is the one machine I would buy, no question asked if they made it again and it is the one pinball machine that I sold that I truly do miss having. It is absolutely fantastic! Ya know what else is fantastic? JJP customer service. It's wonderful and everyone that I have ever dealt with there I feel the same about.

So... Getting back to the Elton John vs The Godfather I already said he that EJ was the far better game so I think I did answer the question. Just because I don't want to buy one, doesn't mean it's a bad game. I actually said it shoots amazing!

#23 4 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

lol
I'm flattered, my first stalker but you should really pay more attention.

Yeah that's sort of his blanket reply; sort of doesn;t have a clue on this one.

#24 4 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah that's sort of his blanket reply; sort of doesn;t have a clue on this one.

Yup and this is your standard bullshit to.At least you spelled all of the words correct for the first time.
I don’t always defend JJP check my comments on playfields,lack of code updates and of communication.The reason I comment on some people is because of the continuous negativity when it wasn’t even applicable to the original post.

#25 4 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

The reason I comment on some people is because of the continuous negativity when it wasn’t even applicable to the original post.

But this isn't applicable to what happened here. You're White Knighting JJP to a guy that's owned a bunch of is answering the question.

#26 4 months ago

But this isn't applicable to what happened here. You're White Knighting JJP to a guy that's owned a bunch

Nevermind!

#27 4 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Yup and this is your standard bullshit to.At least you spelled all of the words correct for the first time.
I don’t always defend JJP check my comments on playfields,lack of code updates and of communication.The reason I comment on some people is because of the continuous negativity when it wasn’t even applicable to the original post.

All I was saying is that he really should put some time in on GF before buying it, that was my mistake. For whatever reason I thought if I didn't preorder it that it would sell out so I bought it before I played it. Then when I did play the LE I was uncertain about it but didn't want to play it too much since I had already bought one. I figured just like most JJP games I had to get it home and really understand the rules before I would start to enjoy it. Sadly... That day never came and as much as I wanted to enjoy it, especially for the money I spent on it, I just never did. The topper is fantastic but that's about where it starts and ends for me.

Again... Elton John shoots great and it is fun to play but it's more like a pinball jukebox. No real modes. There is no sense of starting out at the bottom and climbing your ways up the charts, it is more of a hi-score game IMO. It's funny too because with most other JJP games people are always bitching about heavy mulitballs but with EJ it seems like that is all your trying to do!

To the OP. This is my opinion and really, who gives a shit what I think or anyone else here. Go play the games, see what one you like and go for it. These things aren't cheap so make sure YOU really enjoy it before you buy it, don't make the same mistake I did.

#28 4 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

*too

#29 4 months ago

I own both(GF CE & EJ PE). These are two great opposing games.

In my opinion:

Art: GF=EJ
Lights: GF=EJ
LCD: GF>EJ
Sound GF=EJ
Flow GF<<EJ
Strategy GF>>EJ
Combos GF<<EJ
Fun GF<EJ
Atmosphere GF=EJ

#30 4 months ago

I’m curious about EJ. If you read the owners thread everyone says how FUN it is. Over and over and over again. There is never really any mention of how good the code is or what the strategy is. I’m getting the feeling it’s more like GNR where it’s all about the “experience.” That and a lot of multiball

#31 4 months ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

I’m curious about EJ. If you read the owners thread everyone says how FUN it is. Over and over and over again. There is never really any mention of how good the code is or what the strategy is. I’m getting the feeling it’s more like GNR where it’s all about the “experience.” That and a lot of multiball

That's right. EJ is just "FUN", no deep code, no revolution, but the flow is magic, the code is easy to understand in 10/20 games, and when the final word arrives, you want to press the start bouton. Why MM & AFM are so good? No deep code too. I think that is the same with EJ.

#32 4 months ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Okay. It works like a more complex version of games like MM, AFM, Cactus Canyon, Creature of the Black Lagoon and so on. You need to make a selection of different shots to collect notes, letters and wardrobe items. There’s the occasional timed shot (Honky Cat) and different skill shots that you can make strategically (e.g. choosing bonus X if you’re having a good ball). The general idea is to qualify and stack different multiballs to collect items, to advance to qualifying/advancing other multiballs.

Unlike factory GNR, you spend most of your time trying to *get* a multiball, not being in multiball (a lot like Creature from the Black Lagoon if you kept on going code-wise after finding the girl).

It’s not a story-based game, like Godzilla (fight monsters, destroy bridges) or Addam’s Family (e.g. tour the mansion). However, the strategy is not immediately obvious either - I spent a week trying to get onto the high score table for Your Sister Can’t Twist, and someone did it in a couple of minutes in tournament, despite scoring lower overall than me.

It’s hard to explain why it’s fun for the same reason it’s hard to explain why MM, AFM or Creech are ‘fun’. The code is complex, but more like an evolution on early, high-score-based pins than an evolution of the story-based gameplay of Addam’s Family/Tales of the Arabian Nights. I personally find the different approach to code freshens things up and makes it different from anything else in my collection (I’m currently hiring one and have another on order).

The music, lighting, graphics and gameplay are also controlled by the code, and ‘gel’ together perfectly, although the code philosophy is very different from a typical Stern. As it’s a Steve Ritchie, it’s not an easy shooter and the flow is great.

3 months later
#33 8 days ago

Have played both. It’s not even close. Bought EJ CE, first and probably last new in box pin. OMG is it a great game. One of my, they will pry it from my cold dead fingers, games.

Put in the line up for league night this past Tuesday, and overall everyone loved it.

#34 8 days ago
Quoted from TICTAC:

That's right. EJ is just "FUN", no deep code, no revolution, but the flow is magic, the code is easy to understand in 10/20 games, and when the final word arrives, you want to press the start bouton.

Agree with this - EJ is an easy shooting, flowy game with pretty simple rules and catchy songs. A fun jukebox.

GF is really tough, sometimes infuriating, with complex rules and dramatic atmosphere.

Both fit their themes perfectly.

No surprise that EJ wins the popularity contest, but GF may have longer legs in a collection if you have the skills and want a more unique experience.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 11,999.99
12,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PixelPete Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PixelPete Mods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Indialantic, FL
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.