Tron -Munsters (resized).jpg
SM (resized).jpg
MM -ATM (resized).jpg
Kiss (resized).jpg
GF and EHOH (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1143 Game release featurette video link (28 minutes long) Posted by ZMeny (1 year ago)

Post #2596 Nice review Posted by delt31 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#87 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

"Holy shit FF is fuckign awesome put down an LE deposit !!1!"

"I don't see what they could do with the greatest mafia movies!!"

I am 100% guilty in this case. I thought Foo Fighters was a boring-ass theme (band quality aside), but I was proven wrong in spades.

Sticking to my guns a bit though, I really truly cannot imagine where to find any fun in the Godfather, despite being an all-time great film. Guess that's why I'm a keyboard commando and not a creator. Prove me wrong, Eric!

#103 1 year ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Ritchie supposedly was producing a game for JJP about a year ago.

That's like 3 months in JJP years.

#164 1 year ago

Hobbit has probably the all-time worst ratio of stuff under the playfield, to fun on top of the playfield, so I wouldn't throw a party over that photo.

Except for the Voldemort poster. That definitely means Harry Potter is next. Go crazy.

#174 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I hope it's not Godfather

Guys.

#192 1 year ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

am I the only one that really likes JJP service rails?

They're neat, but I'm not sure I ever need the extra length, and they add a few pounds to an already backbreaking game setup.

#284 1 year ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

The lettering visible looks like the "50" in the anniversary posters.

We have a winner.

#285 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

It's Harry Potter.

Would you like to place a friendly wager.

#292 1 year ago

Eric clearly auditioning for next year's Pinball Life calendar.

#294 1 year ago

Alright guys, acronym time. GF or G50? GF makes me think gluten free, or girlfriend. G50 sounds like a smartphone or a machine gun.

#300 1 year ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

I am still unconvinced

Would you like to place a friendly wager.

#320 1 year ago
Quoted from K9Marshal:

I just don’t understand why JJP would troll and hint at Harry Potter

Someone else photoshopped it. Everything you don't understand is clearly laid out in this thread. Maybe turn off the internet for the week, give 'er another shot on Monday.

#396 1 year ago

I'm too lazy to look up the dates, but is this their shortest time between titles? Makes sense they'd ramp up to speed with multiple designers on staff now.

#638 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

The service rails are brilliant , makes everything so easy .

"Easy" isn't the first word that comes to mind when looking at that photo. I guess I've never needed to get a Stern playfield all the way out of the cabinet.

#710 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I mean really? You can literally imagine any mech for any game. I don't remember a Crane in Batman the Dark Knight but somehow that ended up in the game.

Okay, when you put it that way, I can now imagine a Godfather crane. It's incredibly stupid. Quick, someone please imagine a better nonsensical mech to get this image out of my head.

#714 1 year ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

A blanket that pulls back on a bed to start a physical lock for multiball.

Lebowski rug mech? Sure, I could see it.

Iceman's coffin lock sounds cool too.

#892 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

1000 CE @ 15K = 15M
1000 LE @ 12.5 = 12.5M

Nah, you gotta make the CE more rare than the LE to make CE owners feel special. Stupid, right? I don't make the rules, I just report 'em.

#902 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I know I’ve been a broken record

Step one is admitting you have a problem. We're here for you.

#909 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I hear it's actually gonna be Godfather III, following in the tradition of TS4!!!!

Channeling my inner @slamt1lt, I'm pretty sure I was the first to make that joke.

#917 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Besides a couple minor updates for Toy Story 4 JJP hasn’t released a single code update in over a year.

This is why some of us don't lose sleep over a sheet metal head.

#926 1 year ago

I love this place.

#1019 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

really tacky gaudy stuff

Yeah, as is often the case with a more-is-more design philosophy, the cheaper game actually looks classier. One of my friends likes to say Vegas looks like a mob bathroom. So uh, theme integration for the win?

#1095 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The "Godzillafather" thing seems to be catching on but I don't know. I'll need convincing.

I'm just curious to see how Godzilla shoots with mushy flippers.

Bring on the downvotes!

#1102 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There are going to be a thousand posts about how Eric is ripping off Keith Elwin. It's a pop bumper.

It's a bit more than that, but yeah, I don't expect this to play like GZ any more than Tron feels like Funhouse.

#1118 1 year ago

Hey everyone don't forget to post two giant screenshots every time you misremember an email address.

P.S. It's [email protected], jjpsales would be redundant anyway.

#1385 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

Prove me wrong, Eric!

Mission accomplished! Theme integration looks off the chart from the featurette. And I don't mean superficial theme wallpaper like hit a shot, play a clip. They're woven every aspect of organized crime you could imagine into the actual gameplay. Their boardgame analogy was spot on. At first glance it's already like a KME Jurassic Park level of making you feel like you're actually playing the theme, not watching a film.

Massive kudos to Eric, Keith and whole team for what looks like a gargantuan effort to bring this thing to life. It's definitely not a plug & play theme like a superhero flick. So much creativity poured into every aspect. Layout looks super interesting as well. And those topper knockers, genius. Should cause a visceral reaction in anyone not expecting it.

All that said, if it feels mechanically like previous JJP titles, I will sadly have little interest in playing more than a couple games to sate my curiosity. They just don't feel like pinball to me. Please, please let this have real flippers & slings.

#1398 1 year ago
Quoted from AviRoo:

I hope i don't ruffle any feathers with this opinion but i really don't like the art.

I will concede it's not my favorite style, but is probably as good as it could possibly look when dealing with an ancient, revered franchise with fairly dark/dreadful subject matter. Keefer said it best in the featurette, these aren't action movies, they're dramas. Hard to make something like that visually stunning but they've done a great job, all things considered. And it's a nice contrast to Stern games for those who don't like Zombie Yeti's color explosions (which I love).

#1454 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

the marketing team clearly has no idea why this movie is good

Most of the things that make I and II great films would also make a boring game. You want a mode where it's just Fredo's monologue bemoaning his place in the family hierarchy?

#1837 1 year ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Another thing I'm glad to see is that full backbox lighting by the manufacturer has begun. I hope that someday soon, this will become standard on all games regardless of trim level.

If we're paying for it (and we are) I'd rather they spend the money on something I can see while playing, or just not spend it at all and keep costs "low."

#1846 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It is kind of Wozy.

Oof, you're not wrong. JJP needs to make a clean break from whatever candy crush slot machine sound library they've been dipping into since WOZ. Really breaks the vibe this game should (in my opinion) have. Sounded fine for TS4 I guess; not here.

Anyway, I'm playing it tonight! Will report back tomorrow during our regular 9 to 5 group therapy session.

#2143 1 year ago

Played a couple different LEs last night, some quick impressions.

Sounds are much less wozzy in person. I don't know why the video came across that way, but I wasn't really bothered in person. I wouldn't say I loved the music & sounds, but they didn't really stand out to me, for better or worse. Maybe I'm just accustomed to what a JJP sounds like at this point.

Flippers are MUCH improved. Easily shoots better than any JJP ever, hands down. I am one of the biggest longtime critics of their game feel, which I generally detest, but credit where it's due, they changed something, and it seems to have worked. There are a couple long ramp shots up the middle, nailed them consistently no problem, with strength to spare. If there's any fade I didn't play long enough to notice it.

Slingshots are better than TS4, which if I heard correctly actually had weaker coils than standard. These feel back to normal I suppose, no weak ping-pong effect but no hard Stern snap either. They're fine.

Gameplay is, I have say, overwhelming, borderline indecipherable. At first I can make sense of things when nothing is running, but it's pretty easy to start a couple of the multiballs, and when you get into one, hoo boy. Everything seemingly stacks with everything. All the games I played had at least one three-MB stack, and once I'm pretty sure I stacked a 4th, but who could tell. Each with its own rainbow seizure of LEDs going, plus whatever mode(s) you start without even trying.

Best comparison I can think of is, I'm not a good POTC player, but once or twice I've had like 4 or 5 of the movie mutliballs running, where the whole game just goes nuts. GF is like that, except waaay easier to start. I was getting the megastack every game. Folks who like that will love this. It's just too much for me.

I think I'd really enjoy the gameplay as described in the featurette, but I feel like most of the rewarding stuff or complex strategy will be obscured by the megastack, with no real feeling of accomplishment. I guess owners who study and play it a bunch will eventually gain comprehension of the rainbow multiball blur.

#2146 1 year ago

Other observations, from more of a mechanical/layout angle.

That long straight wireform to right inlane feed is AWESOME. Bounces off the target and feeds the flipper faster than seems possible. Love it. If you're not on your toes, power inlane drain. Never seen anything else quite like it. Some real layout/geometry innovation that I expect to get copied.

There are definitely a ton of diverters and whatnot. As you're making shots I hear stuff in the upper/back portion of the game clicking & moving around, but I can't make heads or tails of what is changing or why. Sometmes when you hit a shot it comes out one way, or another way, or stops the ball. Okay, neat, but it doesn't really seem to add up to anything. Like the parts are greater than the sum. It's more confusing than satisfying to put a ball up into that nest of shots and wonder where it's going.

There's a magnet in the back left corner that grabs a ball, drops a little diverter panel, rolls it into the back of the spinning disc, which then lowers the drop target to release it. Or at least I think that's what happens. I'm 6'5" and I have to tiptoe to see what's going on back there. It sure is a lot of stuff, but I don't know if it adds anything for me. Just seems like fancy ball stoppage.

Of the two I played, one had a horrible return off the big ramp u-turn. Every time you shot the right ramp and it came down the left ramp, straight down the middle. Like, unforgivably bad feed, death shot. Hopefully it was just mis-leveled or something. The other game was fine.

#2154 1 year ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

Anyone else's thoughts on the low scoring?

Good question! GF scores higher than any JJP, by a ton. I had seemingly average games in the 50 million range. A much better player than me put up 270 mil, including a single mode cashed out for 120 mil. A billion would seem to be in reach.

#2159 1 year ago

Cabinet and backglass are stunning in person. Vibrant, crisp, saturated but not cartoonishly so. Cab decals are satisfyingly slick & glossy. Very high-end feel. Really enjoy the art deco flourishes in the backglass.

The stained glass-like display/interface is work of art all its own. So many thoughtful details, like the border of the inner section being used for timers/meters. If only they could limit the stacking to let you appreciate one or two things at a time, it would be super useful to glance up at.

#2305 1 year ago
Quoted from wackenhut:

So every Jersey Jack game has the same feel to the flippers no matter what you try. It just does not feel right.

Godfather flippers feel pretty good, and I can't stand the feel on previous games. They definitely changed something.

#2396 1 year ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Speaking of which, it sure looked like those shots from the upper flipper will be challenging.

They are. No "lead in" ball guide for the upper one, you just have to 100% nail it between two standup targets, Houdini style.
tiiight.pngtiiight.png

#2398 1 year ago
Quoted from insight75:

Do we have a hater free owners thread yet?

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Haterz @Me all you want with “HW sucks”,

Quoted from Cayenne:

The haters of JJP scoring (as on GnR) will again get their money's worth.

Hater, haters, haterz. Why are you guys so worried about what someone else doesn't like?

#2492 1 year ago

Fredo still getting stepped over from beyond the grave, just brutal.

#2911 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

See the magic I did

You don't say.

#2947 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Complaining about "endless multiballs" is idiotic. Adjust the settings and make them harder to start if you want.

I keep hearing this, but it's a band-aid at best. I don't mind if one or two MBs are easy to start. What I mind is that when you start one, everything else follows. Okay, make them all harder to start. Now I get the megastack on ball three instead of ball one. What I want is to play a little bit of MB and a mode or two on each ball, spread out so I can enjoy them. And make me start a mode before the MB so there's at least a modicum of strategy.

#3033 1 year ago
Quoted from Makakka:

firm until hearing otherwise

So... not firm.

#3036 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I will never understand why they punish the CE buyers. Every time.

It's hard to get all the stuff to assemble machines. CEs have more stuff and all of it is custom. So they can either let the line sit idle and go broke to avoid "punishing" a grown man buying a $15k toy, or just crank out product and make payroll.

#3042 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

maybe they're not confident in selling all their CEs?

Maybe they design all the CE accoutrements last and just don't have all the custom parts in hand to build them yet.

#3110 1 year ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

The lighting is far superior, the display, the attention to details like the thing that stops the balls from rolling down the pf when you lift it up. It all starts to add up and yeah I get it, they cost more but you sorta get what you pay for. Shaker motor, Invisible Glass etc...

"Everything but the fun!" ™

(I can't take credit for that line; a friend came up with it.)

#3294 1 year ago

I use a different brand of foaming glass cleaner seemingly identical to Sprayway, and it's by far the least streaky product I've ever used, any kind of glass.

#3298 1 year ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

There were two shots on the game that returned the ball SDTM almost every time.[...] It was VERY frustrating! [...] Has anyone else noticed this???

Yup, not a fan.

#3309 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I’m betting it’s a simple fix

Pretty sure the "fix" is to use the upper flipper every time it exits there, but I haven't played it enough yet to always know when it's going to do that. And during multiball I can't always look up. Might just be like the TZ autolaunch, flip or drain.

#3323 1 year ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

Wouldn't a SDTM problem be remedied by adjusting the roll axis instead of the pitch?

Sometimes pitch is a factor too, because a ball coming down at a slight angle tends to veer more to the side at a shallow pitch. Unless that Godfather feed is dead straight vertical, pitch will impact it.

#3465 1 year ago

I didn't realize what a difference it makes to light whole backglass all the way around the screen. Beautiful.

1 week later
#3674 1 year ago

Hot glue, baby!

#3707 1 year ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

It's because fiddling with that button to set them where you want is a distracting PIA.

I always thought SW would be less annoying if the multipliers were always on, and hitting the button moved them one to the right (wrapping around of course). The fact that you can accidentally turn them off is especially punishing for casual players who barely understand them in the first place.

1 week later
#4005 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Fun fact , The Godfather topper has more than twice as many individually programmable RGB's as the whole game of Godzilla

Probably the best illustration of bang for the buck in pinball history. Upvoted.

#4025 1 year ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Does anyone have a preference between Big Mike and Furious Floyd.
I like them both and can't decide which one I like the best.

Wait 'til you guys see the third option.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 11,999.99
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Grapevine, TX
8,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edgemoor, DE
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godfather-hype-discussion-thread?tu=yancy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.