Tron -Munsters (resized).jpg
SM (resized).jpg
MM -ATM (resized).jpg
Kiss (resized).jpg
GF and EHOH (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1143 Game release featurette video link (28 minutes long) Posted by ZMeny (1 year ago)

Post #2596 Nice review Posted by delt31 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1456 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

yeah I hear you on a diverter technically being a mech but I just don't classify it as a primary mech that brings you into the world underglass. Mechs are like the dino in JP, the spinning house in WoZ. Something that visually wows you. I think it's prob the best feature for this game but that's telling imo.

I remember people complaining that the spinning house was not a good toy as it doesn't interact with the ball. At least the divertors do. I would say the guy with the tommy gun shooting at you is similar to the spinning house, perhaps a bit cooler with the lighting effects.
But yes, toy light compared to WOZ. Theme integration looks top notch and there is the lighting too.

#1594 1 year ago
Quoted from palmab03:

I watched the SDTM video, is it safe to assume the rulesheet is similar to the Hobbit, do these 5 things and then you get to a wizard mode, and you have to do the same 5 things 3 times to get to the grand wizard mode?

Looking over the rulesheet on Pinball News it doesn't look like you need to repeat the same things 3 times to get to the final wizard mode. Each mini wizard mode has it's own set of tasks. To get to the final wizard mode (Kiss the Ring) it looks like you need to play the mini wizard modes and max out every category in the game.

Unless I'm mistaken, you don't need to beat the multi-balls or mini-wizard modes like in LOTR.

#2614 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

But I think there needs to be some level of control or predictability about them to feel good. I'm not convinced that shooting the ball and not knowing how it's going to come back at you is fun. Or at the very least it needs to be done with some level of logic or restraint.

Unless they're using a random number generator to determine where to position the divertors, there will be logic and predictability to where the ball goes.
Some games require more time than others to figure out what's going on. STTNG helps you by turning on a flasher where the ball is about to appear.
I think all games are better in a home environment, but again, some more than others.

#2624 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There's clearly a logic, in the feature video they talked about using the diverters to help the player even, directing the ball towards directions that lead to shots for a particular mode etc. Which is 100% a cool idea, but if it's really complicated it's going to be extremely difficult to remember how the ball is going to return on the fly if there isn't some real indication ahead of time.

Just rewatched some of Karl's stream. They are using the flashers to indicate where the ball is coming from like STTNG.
Biggest issue to me, which someone else also mentioned, is the SDTM if you don't use the upper flipper. Very beginner unfriendly. It was even tripping up Karl, though I guess it will shorten multiballs. If I remember correctly, Lawlor thought he made a mistake with that same shot trajectory in TZ. I didn't think someone would repeat it. It's even worse in GF with multiple diverters directing the ball to that path.
If there isn't a ball save setting for this, I think there should be. The release out of the gangster went SDTM a lot too. A pet peeve is getting punished for a made shot.

#2627 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Watching the stream and listening to the audio. The modern pinball trend of constantly telling you what to do is just not my flavor. This game never shuts up. Shoot the left ramp! Shoot the targets! Shoot the right orbit! Shoot the ramps! Hit the left ramp! Hit the gangster! It's just constantly talking to you.

FYI. Noticed on Karl's stream, "Call Outs" were set to 'Often' and "Protips" were set to on.

#2722 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

A jump ramp that pops up out of the playfield that also has two moving posts next to it, the pop up character mech, and the spinning disk. Those are the 3 big items. Not mentioning other minor items as those are not toys.
You mentioned the spinning disk for Godfather as a toy. Ok, that’s it. The other items don’t interact with the ball at all. Please don’t list diverters, drop targets, and slings as toys lol.

Does a toy need to phyusically interact with the ball to be considered a toy?
Does a mechanism need to have some artistic/theme related element to be considered a toy?

I think we recognize a great toy has both elements and the best toys have some degree of player control too.

#2728 1 year ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

Not a good good look for JJP removing items (ie playfield lcd screen) and charging more money.

I don't mind them removing some elements and adding others. I just like to see where my money is going. It's also somewhat relative compared to the value other manufacturers are offering.
If they remove an LCD display but add a bunch of mechs to make the physcial gameplay more interesting, I'm okay with that. But, I still want exellent theme integration and something that brings a 'wow' factor.

#2730 1 year ago
Quoted from metallik:

What about something like AFMs saucer, it is never touched by the ball but reacts immediately to target hits below it. Definitely an interactive toy in my book.

Yes, it's hard to make a strict definition as how it's implemented in the game can make a big difference. If you think of the "Saucer Toy" as including the target bank, side targets after the bank drops and the drop target in back, then it has plenty of ball interaction.

#2737 1 year ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni2:

True and agree but I’m not seeing the replacement here. It just seems like a cost cutting exercise. Removing the Scorbit feature from existing JJP pins tho seems pretty scandalous. “Hey we don’t to support this anymore so here have this brick”

I hear you. After seeing the release video from SDTM, I wonder if the development costs for GF were much higher than their other machines.
Still, with TS4 and now GF, there appears to be a move towards reducing the BOM at JJP.

For those who may not know, Jack was a distributor for Stern. It was a rough time in pinball and he wasn't happy with the stripped down games Stern was putting out, like NBA. So, he started JJP with the mission statement that they were going to offer a premium machine at a premium price.

At that time (around 2010), WOZ was announced at a pre-order price of $6500 (increased to $7500 after release),when Stern was charging about $4000. So, a 60% premium!

I still think JJP offers the premium machine in terms of BOM and build, but the gap has narrowed a lot, as has the price gap.
GFCE=$15k vs FFCE = $13k, is a 15% premium
GFLE=$12k vs FFpre=$9.7k, is a 24% premium

#2771 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I dunno, if you're trying to reduce BOM you don't replace wire guides with laser etched metal. That's an entirely avoidable expense to save some money per game. Nobody would ever know they weren't there.

Good point.

Quoted from Aurich:

I think with GF you're just not seeing where some of the money went as easily. That laser etching isn't really visible in a playfield photo. All those diverter mechs are a cost you don't see. They made a decision to invest in things a certain way that's hidden.

I agree that there is probably more hidden expenses in this game compared to others, it still seems a little light if I compare it to WOZ, POTC and GNR.
Doesn't mean it's not super fun.

#2773 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Trying to compare a JJP LE to a Stern Premium isn't even close to apples to apples because you're missing invisiglass, 27" screen, shaker motor, headphone jack, full playfield RGB lighting, camera, hotrails. Add those missing Prem options up IF Stern even offers them - it's not even close.

Yeah, I probably should have compared pricing of the GF LE to the FF LE to be more apples to apples but wanted to be more conservative and go with the highest offering and the full featured lower range from each company.

#2790 1 year ago
Quoted from stewdogg:

I just played my first game at the IO Arcade Bar in Madison, Wi and I got the STDM shots along with the others that played with me. We had 4 players and all STDM shots.

They just need to activate a ball save if the ball goes STDM with no switch hit after a feed to the upper left flipper. Hope they do this before too many people give up on the game.

#2796 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Who in the pinball world with even a passing knowledge of pinball thought the answer to increasing excitement is constant, meaningless multiballs?

At some point, achieving multiball changed from being the main goal in the game to being a means of advancing in the game. Using multiball to destroy saucers in AFM comes to mind. Though I suspect just achieving multiball on AFM might feel like an accomplishment to a novice.

It seems like prioritizing the strategic use of multiball and stacking for advanced players while still giving the excitement of multball to beginners is the goal of game designers these days.
My wife says she didn't like multiball when she first started because it was too chaotic. Now she likes it even though she doesn't use it strategically.

3 weeks later
#3811 11 months ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

The game, to make it work in pinball, exists in the "Godfather universe". Admittedly, the tone is lighter in the pinball than the movie.

From the streams I've watched, I think there is some disconnect between the lighter tone and the violent images from the movie.
Mixing genres is difficult to get right, even when you plan to do it from the start.
Looking forward to playing the game and seeing what it's like in person.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 14.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Arroyo Grande, CA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop
Men
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
8,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edgemoor, DE
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
8,729 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Tampa, FL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/godfather-hype-discussion-thread?tu=Jvspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.